• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall Beta (PC/Xbone) Impressions (No Key Begging/Trading or I will ban you!)

grendelrt

I was getting 40 MB download speed on PC even though my cap is 10 MB.

Crazy.

I think this has to do with it unpacking some other software during the installation. I had the same thing happen, I think its disk read access getting mixed in, I have seen that happen on MMOs and such as part of the install bar.

skynidas

Banned
am i the only one having this problem? the fucking weapon doesn't load, it just shows this weird shit. I'm on PC

txrZh2v.jpg

robo

I've got a code for the xbone version. I will post at 19:00 UK time, so about 1o mins time. Dont have a bone.

Tc91

Just installed the game and booted it up, doing the training section and it's as if my mouse is locked to the centre of my screen.

Whenever I look around it's really jittery. Anyone had this problem? I thought it was fps drops but it's running at a solid 60.

Anyone help with this?

It runs fine in windowed but that is a shit solution.

Raide

My main issues with the gameplay is that the engagement ranges are all very short, pilots die very quickly, and titan fights usually boil down to who brought the most titans/pilots. Engagements don't develop, they start and end in the blink of an eye which doesn't give you much time to do anything besides unload everything into your target, dodge while reloading, rinse/repeat.

These aren't things I see changing just by adding maps(of similar size), titan variations, and additional weapons.

Personally I also hate that I can't carry my entire team to victory on my back, and get forced to play with scrubs by the matchmaking. :)I assume there will be a party system at release so the 2nd problem won't be a problem which will also remove the need for the first. :p

The Angel City map feels really close quarters. I seems to be happily bouncing around the rooftops and can avoid most things. As soon as I hit the ground, someone murders me. :D

Fracture is way more open, so the range stuff is much better but most fights are basically jumping around trying to out-fox your enemy and sneak up on them.

If you have not already, play some of the Last Titan Standing modes. 1v1 in Titans does feels a little off but group stuff is really fun, especially if you get a more tactically minded team that covers the rear or tries to outflank the enemy. I am sure that all the later unlocks should mix that up a bit more but we have no idea what they are. :D

iNvid02

so i played a few games and titanfall met my expectations, can see myself playing for the duration of the beta (a few more days?) and having some fun, but I probably wont be buying this, especially not in a month like march.

Raide

Lol the smart gun is hilarious.

And pulling the pilot out of their titans

I hope they add more animations for the Titan specific stuff. :D Pulling them out and then stamping on them, or drop-kicking the pilot would be funny. :D

Its kinda funny but I like the death animations when I get killed. My neck spinning around or a titan grabbing and throwing me is just fun.

SegaShack

I do not like modern FPS games, the last time I remember really loving an FPS was 10 years ago. Something about this game seemed exciting to me when it was announced, then my hype died down. However a few days ago that GiantBomb stream came out and what I saw blew me away.

It was due to this stream that I instantly preordered the game at Bestbuy. Yesterday I was fortunate enough to get a code through EA chat (for XB1).

I was very tired and exhausted by the time the game finished downloading but thought I would play it anyways. Let me just say that without a doubt, this is the most fun I have had playing a shooter game since Halo 2 Online. This is the best shooter I have played in 10 years. I own a few CoD games and Battlefield 4, I also really enjoyed Resistance 2.

Unlike CoD or Battlefield, you don't just start playing and keep getting killed constantly. The tutorial is about 20 minutes but it teaches you everything you need to know. From the first life I had in the game I killed a few people and stayed alive a long time. What I really love about the game is the speed of it. Whether you are running, wall jumping, using a Titan, using a jet pack, or climbing a ledge, everything is very fast and exciting. The controls are amazing and very satisfying, everything feels right to me. Everything was easy to understand and easy to perform. Each match only lasts a few minutes but it is the most fun, action packed experience you could imagine.

Having a cloaking ability and a rocket barrage (on your Titan), and a dash ability, that recharges over time adds another element of strategy. With the Titans it is not about who is first to shoot, it is about who is the wisest with their actions, you need to know when to reflect their attacks back at them, when to dash, when to use your barrage, when to look out for humans shooting rockets, etc.

With the human characters it is all about mobility and freedom. The 2 maps on the Beta feel like they are expertly designed for the games mechanics, it is incredibly easy to get on top of large buildings, jump through 2nd story windows, run across walls, etc. The only shooter game I can recall that moves this fast would be Time Splitters 2.

Remember how I mentioned being tired when this finished downloading? I had so much fun that I played this for 2 hours last night.

I know this post may sound like exaggeration or someone being too excited but this is my honest experience and opinion of the game. Just a few days ago I wasn't even sure if I was getting this game. Now it is the most fun I have had with a shooter in 10 years. I even wrote a lengthy thread a few weeks ago about not enjoying modern shooters. I love this game.

Bsigg12

Its not hilarious. Its awesome. Its so going to get nerfed and thus my sole interest in this game will be destroyed.

I doubt that. It's not OP by any means due to such a short range. On Angel City it's great because of how tight it is. On Fracture, you're kind of a sitting duck with how open the map is. Fun to use it though.

SegaShack

Holy fuck

You can jump on a friendly Titan hang on to it and shoot while on top

!!!

My first in match experience with a Titan was exactly this, being a rider. I was so excited I completely forgot to switch out to my anti-titan weapon and we got massacred fast by 2 titans but it was still so much fun.

SegaShack

This game reminds me of arcade games, short games but everything is incredibly well done and satisfying. This does not have the feel of CoD or Battlefield to me where you will get sniped from a distance, this game is almost like laser tag.

Rayme

xbox one version won't start for me, just kicks me back to dash after splash screen.

Any ideas?

Do a full restart of your console (hold down the power button for > 8 seconds, maybe even pull power after to be sure... then wait through the 2-minute boot up.)

I had this the other day. Even Peggle2/Forza would crash immedietely. Full restart did the trick (but a quick warm restart did not!).

ReRixo

Banned
to the people who don't like the game, are you fans of COD? Because to me this looks like COD 2.0 and I am expecting Titanfall to replace COD for most people. I'm bored of the game already though, or if I do get the game it'll be good to play in short bursts I guess.

Anyone else having serious connectivity issues at the moment on PC? Every time I join a game I immediately lose connection to the server. I've tried a few different regions too, happens in all of them.

SegaShack

to the people who don't like the game, are you fans of COD? Because to me this looks like COD 2.0 and I am expecting Titanfall to replace COD for most people. I'm bored of the game already though, or if I do get the game it'll be good to play in short bursts I guess.

I love this game and I hate CoD.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Anyone on PC playing this game with a controller?

I really want to comfy couch this, but if I'm going to get destroyed by M/KB, I'm probably going to pass...

BraXzy

Holy fuck

You can jump on a friendly Titan hang on to it and shoot while on top

!!!

Yeah it's so cool! I was riding a friendly Titan and then jet pack jumped onto the enemy Titan that attacked him. Helped take him out and then jumped off and took out the Pilot, satisfying as hell.

I hate COD and love this game. They nothing alike, they both have guns and thats it.

T.O.P

Banned
Game feels great

Just got to lvl14 and decided to have a pause, been playing for about 5 hours no stop, wich is something that doesn't happen from Halo 3 mp back in the day

It's just so easy to get into the action, know what to do, how to do a wallrun or reach a highly elevated platform

So many ways to take down a Titan, wich is still pretty damn badass to see being dropped in the battlefield

And the maps especially Angel City are amazingly built, insanely fast paced gameplay deserves it

Graphically i just don't care, game looks much sharper and colorful than what i saw from footages and it's good enough for me, so many explosions and effects going on that i just can't focuse on a bad texture or similar thing

Weapons are good as it it is without much recoil, too fast that i really don't want to worry about recoil

Anyway, it was Day 1 before and it pretty much exceeded my high expectations

March is gonna be amazing

@forgot to say that the netcode is flawless so far

So what the heck are burn cards? Looks like some kinda one time use item. Seems kinda lame...

You assign them before the match begins, and upon death you can choose to activate them. Some are lame like the load out switch ups, but the respawn and arc grenade spam cards seem useful.

But once you use it, you lose it. Luckily, it seems that they are really easy to accrue.

BTM

They hype is real folks. One of the most fun experiences I've had in a long time with a video game.

BraXzy

You assign them before the match begins, and upon death you can choose to activate them. Some are lame like the load out switch ups, but the respawn and arc grenade spam cards seem useful.

But once you use it, you lose it. Luckily, it seems that they are really easy to accrue.

You get plenty of them though so don't worry anyone. It's just a sweet little boost to pick you up when you die. There is a limit of around 20 cards you can hold so you either discard them or use them to make room. It's just handy for say when there are a bunch of enemy titans and you have a rocket launcher damage boost to help take em down.

Oh and you have to select three and place them in your active slots from your deck so there is strategy of a sort with them.

Top Bottom