• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall Beta (PC/Xbone) Impressions (No Key Begging/Trading or I will ban you!)

It runs pretty smoothly on my rig at 1080p, except for the occasional slowdown or stutter, but overall I'm very happy.

Phenom II X4 965, 12GB RAM, 7850 2GB. Can run everything on high, textures on Insane, 2x AA and 4x AF (Yes I know, I just forgot to set it higher)

It crashed on me on my 5th round when I lost connection (trying to find out why, ISP most likely), and haven't started it again for now.

Although I'm loving the game, I don't see myself playing it for months non-stop, more like short bursts of Titanfall between my other games. I'm sure I do want it in my collection, will make a choice once the beta ends.

One thing I don't like is how extremely dependent on a constant internet connection it is in order for ANYTHING to work, like, as I said, the whole game crashed when I lost connection in the middle of a fight, or tutorials would close when I had any interruption.

Anyway, props to Respawn for making such a good game. Quite refreshing, and, like I said a while ago, it gave me this CoD4 feel I have always loved in the movement. I enjoy more playing as pilot than Titan, always preferred more agile movement, and this game takes it to the next level with wallrunning and double jumping. Game is really easy to get into and enjoy.

Framerate is pretty brutal in the Xbox One version, did anyone else notice this? It's a pretty ugly game as well, but damn it is a blast

yeah, i posed about it earlier in this thread. Its probably the only bad thing i could say about the game, which amplifies the the flaw dramatically.

Game performs at a nice 60 FPS indoors and outdoors with few characters, but as soon as those titans start dropping, it becomes messy :(

Any chance the full version is better optimized?

lem0n

EA corrected my XB1 Beta code, they hooked me up on Origin with a direct download link. HHHNNGGGG IT BEGINS

Fracas

#fuckonami
Aha, fixed my stuttering issue. Had a weird setting in Nvidia control panel. 60fps with screen tearing aw yiss

Game is great, I just hope there is a nice variety of maps, also they need to optimize it a bit more, no reason I should be getting frame drops in this game when I can run full max and put on some downsampling for a steady 60fps in bf4.

Game is great, I just hope there is a nice variety of maps, also they need to optimize it a bit more, no reason I should be getting frame drops in this game when I can run full max and put on some downsampling for a steady 60fps in bf4.

I feel like they are focusing on the X1 version. It's really annoying.
/bitter

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
1v1 Titan fights are pretty great. It's much more fun if it's 1v1 than a huge cluster of titans fighting.

Raide

Hit level 8 and I really like it. I know many people are down on the graphics thing but when you're absorbed in the game, you just don't notice. Are people standing around too much that they get time to check things out?

I much prefer to call my Titan and leave it doing Auto stuff while I do the rest of the work. Great to know it will wander around and come pick me up when I need it. :D

Once you get the wallrunning stuff, the game opens up massively. Stop thinking about all those FPS games that make lovely flat maps and hide the shooting difficulty by making everything on a horizontal plane. Once you start bouncing around through buildings and on rooftops, the freedom you have to just have fun is amazing.

I still panic with Mouse and Keyboard and forget buttons, especially when people are bouncing around trying to drop-kick me.

The thrill of escaping solo from the Epilogue is so fun. A really interesting addition, even if everyone seems to just camp it with Titans.

Need more time to play!!

game is fantastic my only gripe is the frame rate. i am slightly worried that there won't be that many weapons to play with even in the full game and i got a burn card to drop the stryder titan i hope that isn't the only way to get the other mechs

derFeef

So my favourite Titan loadout is Tank, love that gun. Does not bode well for my plans to go fast Titan. Altough fast Titan with Nuke... hmmm... Kamikaze Titan!

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Once again I feel it is my duty to stream some proper gameplay later today. So many Pilots on the ground, running in straight lines from point A to B! Its proving more difficult to get people out of old play styles than I thought...

It will always be like this. A majority if the players will play the game at the lowest possible level.

Alright, so far, it's pretty fun. The graphics are absolutely terrible (on PC), but the gameplay is solid. Still, I just don't see where all the hype comes from. At first, it's awesome, you know something slightly different. But if just starts feeling boring. Grunts are absolutely useless and easy pickings. The Titan vs. Titan fights can be interesting but they can get quite hectic. It feels to easy and as a result, rather boring (in my opinion). After the initial novelty wears out, it really does feel like just CoD with Mechs.

I'll be buying it, eventually, but not for $60 bucks. I'd say $30 is a fair price for something like this, at least from what I've played. Still, these are very early impressions (I've only played about 8 matches). I'll continue playing.

Sanic

Noticed something interesting about the XO version.

Normally, when you boot the console from standby and have quick game resume active, a game will have a static background displayed on the homescreen until you boot into it once.

With titanfall, the game is still "running" on the homescreen instead of displaying a static image. Wonder if it's built against a new SDK and all games going forward will be like this?

Noticed something interesting about the XO version.

Normally, when you boot the console from standby and have quick game resume active, the game will have a static background displayed on the homescreen until you boot into it once.

With titanfall, the game is still "running" on the homescreen instead of displaying a static image. Wonder if it's built against a new SDK and all games going forward will be like this?

Probably because it's still beta. Who knows.

Nibel

I have a GTX 570, a i5 2500K CPU and 16 GB of RAM and it has a fluctuating framerate even on more modest settings :/ Expected 60 FPS because while most of it looks fine, it isn't exactly mindblowing

Alright, so far, it's pretty fun. The graphics are absolutely terrible (on PC), but the gameplay is solid. Still, I just don't see where all the hype comes from. At first, it's awesome, you know something slightly different. But if just starts feeling boring. Grunts are absolutely useless and easy pickings. The Titan vs. Titan fights can be interesting but they can get quite hectic. It feels to easy and as a result, rather boring (in my opinion). After the initial novelty wears out, it really does feel like just CoD with Mechs.

I'll be buying it, eventually, but not for $60 bucks. I'd say $30 is a fair price for something like this, at least from what I've played. Still, these are very early impressions (I've only played about 8 matches). I'll continue playing.
Yeah, I think you wrote up exactly what I wanted to. I'm going to play a bunch more matches but it really does feel like Call of Duty with Mechs... and I didn't like CoD, so. :/

Lkr

I got an email code today and it says it's for xbone. I signed up for PC beta. Does the key work on origin or do I have a key to give away?

Nokterian

Once again I feel it is my duty to stream some proper gameplay later today. So many Pilots on the ground, running in straight lines from point A to B! Its proving more difficult to get people out of old play styles than I thought...

Do it..wanna see how you roll in parkour.

FaintDeftone

Downloading the Xbox One version now. Wishing it would speed up a bit because I want to play before my wife gets home from work and wants to do stupid Valentines Day shit.

besada

Banned
I got an email code today and it says it's for xbone. I signed up for PC beta. Does the key work on origin or do I have a key to give away?

Go ask in the Beta code thread. They have your answers.

(You can get EA to give you a PC code if you have an XB1 code)

Yeah, I think you wrote up exactly what I wanted to. I'm going to play a bunch more matches but it really does feel like Call of Duty with Mechs... and I didn't like CoD, so. :/

Yea, and from what I've played, this might not be the best way of putting it but, it feels more boring than CoD? Grunts are brain dead and provide no challenge and at 6v6 finding other pilots to kill can be difficult sometimes. It just feels like you're shooting fish in a barrel till you get a Titan and then.... you continue blowing grunts away with the occasional Titan vs. Titan fight which is to chaotic since often times it's more than 1 titan against others. I don't know how to describe that. It's certainly no CoD4.

I think it's definitely promising, but they've got a long way to go. Making the Grunt AI competent (so that it's able to actually kill you) would be a good start.

Downloading the Xbox One version now. Wishing it would speed up a bit because I want to play before my wife gets home from work and wants to do stupid Valentines Day shit.

3L4gu.gif

oh wow the stryder titan was a better than i thought it would be i was going to go exclusively ogre but i might have to make room for stryder

Jas

Playing on PC and feel the same. Not sure how many hours I played but I'm at level 14.

The game feels like it would be fun for a week but get old fast.

Addnan

Is there no voice chat in the PC beta? I see lots of people with mics but they never move. My one doesn't seem to do anything either.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Haha, I was riding around rodeo style with my rocket launcher locking on to other titans. This game is spectacular. The feel of the jumping and mantling is perfect. Everytime I think "oh shit I'm not gonna make it." My lady makes one last desperate reach out and I grab on to the roof or window or whatever.

Is there no voice chat in the PC beta? I see lots of people with mics but they never move. My one doesn't seem to do anything either.

I heard somebody using a mic, but I'm not using one and for the most part it seems like nobody else is either. But they are supported.

Overdoziz

Banned
I think I prefer having my Titan follow me than actually controlling it myself. Allows my Titan to distract enemy Titans while I hit them in the back.

Steam overlay doesn't work with this game, just like Battlefield 4. Fucking A....

It does work for me on Titanfall... I add the desktop shortcut, and run it so that Origin has to start and then it initiates the game right away. Same for BF3.

BF4 beta certainly never worked. Don't have the full game, so don't know about that.

Hahahahaha

legacyzero

Banned
I'm gonna be streaming the game tonight close to 9pm central on Twitch. Gonna be fun.

I'll deliver my thoughts after, or at least tomorrow.

twitch.tv/legacyzero

Phinor

I really enjoy actually playing the game (PC version). After E3 I was hyped, but earlier this week after the embargo went away I wasn't quite so sure. But having played it now, it's just a damn enjoyable shooter. I wonder about the longevity but if I still want to play more Titanfall after the beta ends, that question is answered. That being said, and almost everything in the game/gameplay being good/great, there are few issues I still have:

- Azure cloud wasn't meant for gaming. They don't have nearly enough data centers to cover even the major regions with good latency not to mention rest of the world. North Europe servers being in the UK is a joke considering EU west servers are right next to UK. The latency is a real issue compared to other shooters where you can get sub 20ms latency in most places of the civilized world (as long as your ISP doesn't screw you over, which happens too often). This is going to be a huge issue for me if Microsoft keeps pushing this Azure cloud on more PC games. Engineers (like Carmack) optimize responsiveness and local latency, meanwhile servers go backwards. I know Carmack said peer-to-peer is the future but that future is 50 years away at this rate.

- FPS limited to 60 with vsync off means a lot of tearing. Both double and triple buffering make the mouse unresponsive/unplayable and on top of that, both settings introduce a lot of stuttering. Other than that, tech-wise it's great, runs great, and I have no idea how Xbox One doesn't run it at solid 60 because a decent gaming computer runs it effortlessly 1080p/60fps with tons of AA. I'm not sure I have seen my GPU usage above 50% yet. Hopefully the release version runs flawlessly on Xbox One.

- Smart pistol doesn't belong in the game, at least not the PC version.

On the plus side, 6vs6 is just right for the game. I know a lot of people including me had doubts about that but in reality it does work. The AI does fill the battlefield quite efficiently even though they are dumb as bricks. There's rarely ever a dull moment but the game doesn't escalate into a Call of Duty type run and gun so players stay alive much longer. Must have taken them a long time to achieve that balance between maps that support titans, tons of action but still relatively long lifetime for pilot players.

If EA and Microsoft weren't so heavily involved in this, I'd have a lot of faith in the future of Titanfall. But right now I'm just happy that at least the first game is playable on PC. Just waiting for EA to do something stupid, or maybe it will be Microsoft shutting down servers later this year. Who knows, but those two companies combined will find a away to screw us over sooner or later.

Top Bottom