• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TitanFall (EA/Respawn, PC/XB1/360, Spring 2014, Game Informer Leak, All Info In OP)

Wynnebeck

Banned
Wait, here's something weird-

"The Xbox One offers devs many more tools to use as well, such as player expression tracking, game recording, and updateable achievements. Many of these features are still in their infancy, so Respawn isn't sure how Titanfall will leverage them.

Do they mean facial tracking? As in Kinect is tracking emotions? Is this new?

"We detect a sour look on your face."

*cue Pepto Bismol commercial on-screen*

GI: "What XBox One lacks in RAM, it potentially makes up for in cloud computing." Talks about how the game will have unlimited dedicated servers for the game, offloading "a few dozen AI" and physics, says the game would be impossible without the cloud and wouldn't have attempted it.
Jesus Christ, not this again.

MilesVor

Banned
tumblr_lm11bt4OaK1qe6xr2.gif

Oh JOY.

I can't wait to play another iteration of Captain Bland's Monotonous Adventure: Shooterville.

- Xbox One, PC
- Xbox 360 version developed by someone else
- Planned to target current gen, but realized that they couldn't run it
- Started to look into next gen and the answer they got from Microsoft intrigued them
- They said they needed to focus on fewer hardware. In the future they are open to more. They don't specify if it would this project or another.
- Plan to use Microsoft's Cloud for dedicated servers and physics and AI calculations
- Spring 2014 Release Date
- To my eyes it looks visually very nice.
- First person shooter
- "Mech" and ground combat
- "Mech's" are called Titans.
- They want these Titans to feel fast. They can dodge etc.
- If you don't want to pilot the Titan you can have it follow you, killing people as it goes along.
- Player characters are called Pilots
- They are extremely agile. Can run on walls, multiple jumps.
- They can take down Titans. Jumping on them and shooting the "brain".
- You need to be cunning as a pilot. "Hit and fade" tactics is the term the game director uses.
- Pilots come equipped with a variety of weapons. Pistol, Assault Rifle, Anti-Titan Rocket Launcher, data knife used to hack AI characters into joining you.
- There are AI enemies on the maps.
- You survive longer than in COD. Making it more welcoming to newcomers.
- Source Engine. Building new engine = too much time.
- Source gives them 60 fps
- Rewrote aspects of it for next gen
- Article talks about the process of forming the team, being fired, prototyping ideas etc. I recommend reading it.
- Going for a District 9 or Blade Runner vibe.
- Integrate memorable single player moments into a multiplayer game.
- Storytelling style will be more Left 4 Dead.
- Humans segregated between Earth and frontier planets. Corporation trying to take the resources of these frontier people.

Source Engine? Orly.

All the 'cloud' bullshit makes me laugh.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
- If you don't want to pilot the Titan you can have it follow you, killing people as it goes along.
- Humans segregated between Earth and frontier planets. Corporation trying to take the resources of these frontier people.

This sounds interesting! Thanks Cartman!

GI: "What XBox One lacks in RAM, it potentially makes up for in cloud computing." Talks about how the game will have unlimited dedicated servers for the game, offloading "a few dozen AI" and physics, says the game would be impossible without the cloud and wouldn't have attempted it. Still dealing with unfinished hardware and software, so it's "still a little rough going at times."

LOL, ok.

Rootbeer

Banned
gotta love games that take advantage of "the cloud" -- this is code for "once we flip the switch on the servers, you can't play shit anymore"

hey, look at this copy of chrono trigger I bought in 1995 for, what was it, like $60 (in 1995 money)? I can still play it to this day. isn't it grand. may have seemed expensive at the time but I think I got my money's worth.

Con_Smith

Banned
Glad they aren't just making another modern warfare clone but the bullshit spin on that cloud shit better have paid off in developing this thing.

I wonder how it will effect me on 360 as I'll be skipping the XOne.

I like the idea of AI on the map. As long as they interact in a meaningful manner like in MOBAs.

If true, this is actually something the cloud could do actually well. Maybe they are planning a larger "scenario" where the players interaction is not in a bubble but of course a major part?

Have they clarified whether or not the cloud service for unloading stress off the system is exclusive only to the Xbone? I mean, I know that's what they were touting at the round-table discussion after their reveal but doesn't it realistically stand to mean any game that is playable on a Microsoft platform?

Source engine surprises me, I thought ea was making a big push with frostbite. I'm not too upset that ps4 isn't mentioned, I'll just grab PC version if it is good.

jayu26

MORE STUFF

A lot of the article has to do with Respawn's origins, actually.

So here's the exclusivity mention: They thought working on PS4, Xbox One and PC would prove too difficult for a small team, so they decided to focus on one console instead of two. (er...). "Not to say we won't [go multiplatform] in the future, but for our first game we wanted to focus on making the best game we could."

GI points how that the Xbox One has 5GB of GDDR3 ram available to devs, whereas PS4 has 8GB DDR5 ram, and asks if that's a problem for Respawn. He says they're having trouble even using the 5GB efficiently with all the new architecture tricks. (that is to say, even if they had 8GB they wouldn't know how to use it properly at this stage of development)

GI: "What XBox One lacks in RAM, it potentially makes up for in cloud computing." Talks about how the game will have unlimited dedicated servers for the game, offloading "a few dozen AI" and physics, says the game would be impossible without the cloud and wouldn't have attempted it. Still dealing with unfinished hardware and software, so it's "still a little rough going at times."

What? "I have no idea how to use all the power in the hardware, but eff that cloud is where it's at."

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
To clarify, here is exactly what they're using the cloud for (that's mentioned in the article):

-Unlimited dedicated servers
-"a few dozen AI running around doing all the cool things that they are doing"
-handles "all the complex physics calculations"
-quicker, more accurate matchmaking

"This game wouldn't be possible without it. We wouldn't have even attempted to do it." (Respawn)

traveler

Not Wario
It's a multiplayer only online game. Of course it doesn't work when the internet is off. You guys are acting like this is some sort of game-ruining hidden secret.

Marleyman

Banned
- Xbox One, PC
- Xbox 360 version developed by someone else
- Planned to target current gen, but realized that they couldn't run it
- Started to look into next gen and the answer they got from Microsoft intrigued them
- They said they needed to focus on fewer hardware. In the future they are open to more. They don't specify if it would this project or another.
- Plan to use Microsoft's Cloud for dedicated servers and physics and AI calculations
- Spring 2014 Release Date
- To my eyes it looks visually very nice.
- First person shooter
- "Mech's" are called Titans.
- They want these Titans to feel fast. They can dodge etc.
- You need to be cunning as a pilot. "Hit and fade" tactics is the term the game director uses.
- Pilots come equipped with a variety of weapons. Pistol, Assault Rifle, Anti-Titan Rocket Launcher, data knife used to hack AI characters into joining you.
- You survive longer than in COD. Making it more welcoming to newcomers.
- Rewrote aspects of it for next gen
- Article talks about the process of forming the team, being fired, prototyping ideas etc. I recommend reading it.

Mech combat at 60 FPS? Nice.

To clarify, here is exactly what they're using the cloud for (that's mentioned in the article):

-Unlimited dedicated servers
-"a few dozen AI running around doing all the cool things that they are doing"
-handles "all the complex physics calculations"
-quicker, more accurate matchmaking

"This game wouldn't be possible without it. We wouldn't have even attempted to do it." (Respawn)

I guess they've never made a PC game.

TrutaS

- Xbox One, PC

1) Spoiler: the answer was "Dollars".

2) It feels wrong to keep a Source game away from Steam.

Crawl

Wait they are using Valve's source engine? Da fuck? Tell me its on steam. Also EA partners games do tend to appear on steam from time to time.

Top Bottom