• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TitanFall (EA/Respawn, PC/XB1/360, Spring 2014, Game Informer Leak, All Info In OP)

Wouldn't have attempted it without the cloud.

Then you have a PC version confirmed, a 360 version confirmed and they are not ruling out the possibility of a PS4 version basically.

This cloud shit is the new cell.

To clarify, here is exactly what they're using the cloud for (that's mentioned in the article):

-Unlimited dedicated servers
-"a few dozen AI running around doing all the cool things that they are doing"
-handles "all the complex physics calculations"
-quicker, more accurate matchmaking

"This game wouldn't be possible without it. We wouldn't have even attempted to do it." (Respawn)
Oh boy.

88random

If it is coming for PC I don't consider it an exclusive. No reason to get Xbone, I'll play the superior version.

Also, if the game is imposible without cloud, what about PC version? Is it going to use Microsofts servers? I doubt it.

It's impossible without the cloud, yet there's a PC version which probably won't use Microsoft's so hyped cloud.

Uhh why not? It is a required online game? It most likely will use Respawn/EA's (think SimCity!) instead of MSFTs.

Which is actually probably worse...

Striek

To clarify, here is exactly what they're using the cloud for (that's mentioned in the article):

"This game wouldn't be possible without it. We wouldn't have even attempted to do it." (Respawn)

If I boot up L4D on steam right now, all this happens and they just call it playing online.

i-Lo

Yes this is a rebranding of what dedicated servers do into the new buzzword "infinite power of the cloud".

And you know what's amazing, no one except Digital Foundry expressed proper scepticism. Then again, what is to be expected from people who aren't cognizant of the differences between DDR3 and GDDR5 and between DDR5 and GDDR5.

Najaf

Pilots (of Titans) are jack of all trades special forces.

Pilots call wall run, have jump kits allowing for multiple jumps at once (double jumping), and jump kits prevent fall damage.

Pilots can attack titans by dropping onto their backs (like in the cover shot)

Pilots have a smart pistol "noob-friendly" capable of locking onto and engaging multiple targets at once with one trigger pull. Good for engaging AI but humans get a "target lock warning"

Pilots have an assault rifle, anti-titan rocket launcher, and a data knife that can reprogram computer controlled characters to fight on their side

Repsawn's data shows that there is roughly equal preference to Titan and Pilot player time.

kuYuri

Source engine is not that surprising at all. I even commented about this back in the Kotaku rumor thread. Totally called it.

rapid32.5

the game would be impossible without the cloud and wouldn't have attempted it.
yep, sounds like a moneyhat but for how long this circus show will be performing "not gonna say if PS4 version exists ? "

abunai

Wow, source engine? Hopefully they still let us access the dev console so I can tweak like in every other game that uses it.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

I have a feeling that in some years down the line, a big dev will call out MS on this stating it's BS.

1-D_FTW

gotta love games that take advantage of "the cloud" -- this is code for "once we flip the switch on the servers, you can't play shit anymore"

hey, look at this copy of chrono trigger I bought in 1995 for, what was it, like $60 (in 1995 money)? I can still play it to this day. isn't it grand. may have seemed expensive at the time but I think I got my money's worth.

Off-topic, but Chrono Trigger was 80 dollars (in 1995 dollars). That's without any inflation figured in. Big carts = big prices.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Did crazy buttocks call the source engine too? I remember some insider saying that and thinking, "no way that's true!"

tumblr_mmnk93thDA1r86zsvo1_400.gif

hope game isn't too hard.

and finally a game to benchmark the xbone. What kinda specs you needa match xbone + infinitecloud.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
And you know what's amazing, no one except Digital Foundry expressed proper scepticism. Then again, what is to be expected from people who aren't cognizant of the differences between DDR3 and GDDR5 and between DDR5 and GDDR5.

what are you talking about, we have tons of great forum members skeptical of the cloud, that should really matter

stryke

ohboy.gif

Zeth

People need to come to terms with "the cloud". It's a buzzword that will be thrown around by everyone for anything that uses the internet this gen. We will need to get over it at some point, lol.

i-Lo

No, I'm probably grabbing the PC version. :) Why would I choose the inferior version?

You mean the superior version, right? Your PC does not have access to unlimited dedicated servers ergo infinite power of the cloud. Buy it on PC at your own peril.

Not too excited by the fact that it is using source. It would have to be pretty heavily modified to be close to "next gen" looking.

Still awesome to hear I guess kind of. Microsoft money hats abound!

Sorry, I know Source has proven more than capable for 360/PS3, but Source for a next gen game? Really?

I hope whatever they've rewritten has something to do with the load times

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Source as in the new source engine by Valve?

I hope this confirms they are working on or have already made this engine available for middle-ware use on the console space alongside PC.

And being that it's source, I hope this means we will get a Steam version.

teiresias

- Started to look into next gen and the answer they got from Microsoft intrigued them

Any developer that looks at the two architectures and the two consoles and is more "intrigued" by the Xbone is more intrigued by big ol' sacks of cash money than the actual system itself.

Also, fast mechs are annoying.

Great find!

thats whats Respawn been hinting for all this time?

So they are making the game just to knockout CoD?

No hype till E3.....

Wait, here's something weird-

"The Xbox One offers devs many more tools to use as well, such as player expression tracking, game recording, and updateable achievements. Many of these features are still in their infancy, so Respawn isn't sure how Titanfall will leverage them.

Do they mean facial tracking? As in Kinect is tracking emotions? Is this new?

The angrier you get the faster you move?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Devs and press should be calling it out now.

They don't want to burn bridges starting the new gen, just like with Sony. But the time came when Sony was called out for the complexities of the Cell and this will happen too with MS.

sense

cboat did say all launch window xo games to integrate smartglass and kinect so he seems to be right on that as well.

DieH@rd

Banned

OMG, that's so innovative. :D :D :D :D :D

As for the rest, AI processing will be for "groups of AI" in the bacground of large maps, intercting with close NPC demands instant processing by the client machine.

Top Bottom