• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT| Titan Online. Signal When Ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mechazawa

Honestly, discrediting Titanfall's technical graphics because it's not shiny as fuck is garbage.

What other games are doing what Titanfall is doing at it's fidelity? Battlefield looks nice and has lots of shit going on, but it's doesn't do it at the speed Titanfall has to do it. Tanks and choppers in Battlefield aren't analogous to the speed and surge of projectiles/arc lightning/whatever that Titans are constantly pumping at each other.

Titanfall's closest competitor is something like AC:V/V-Day and even that is insanely taxing on the last gen consoles.

Comparing Titanfall to a linear hack and slash, small scale/close quarter shooter or even Battlefield is ridiculous.

Pat_DC

The graphics of Titanfall.... are not competitive, nor do the use many if any of the techniques we have grown accustomed to in the current gen.

You will find no intense particle effects, no Bokeh DoF, no material based lighting model or shaders, no real time reflections, no volumetric lighting or fog, no subsurface scattering, no tessellation, no penumbrae shadows, no real time caustics, no cloth physics, no real time destruction, no global illumination, no lit particles, no high poly models, etc etc etc.

I think describing it as not competitive is a good way of explaining it.
As fun as it was to play, for me personally the graphics and art direction definitely felt lacking but can also understand that it would be fine for a lot of people. Maybe I've just been spoiled lately ;)

Though the biggest thing for me in the beta was how static and sterile everything felt. As in everything is rock solid and prebaked with no dynamic elements. For all the crazy stuff going on, your shots and titan do not effect your environment in any way.

I'm not expecting Battlefield level destruction but more dynamic elements would have pushed the intensity to the next level. Though maybe it was just the levels in the beta, so will wait and see once the full game releases.

Animator

Really ? Honest question here, haven't followed or seen much infos on how much of an improvement they are from beta ?

The other levels look so much better than the beta levels. Fracture is the weakest map in the game by far, I love all the others.

I think describing it as not competitive is a good way of explaining it.
As fun as it was to play, for me personally the graphics and art direction definitely felt lacking but can also understand that it would be fine for a lot of people. Maybe I've just been spoiled lately ;)

Though the biggest thing for me in the beta was how static and sterile everything felt. As in everything is rock solid and prebaked with no dynamic elements. For all the crazy stuff going on, your shots and titan do not effect your environment in any way.

I'm not expecting Battlefield level destruction but more dynamic elements would have pushed the intensity to the next level. Though maybe it was just the levels in the beta, so will wait and see once teh full game releases.

The full game got released, we have been playing all weekend. What you see in the beta is what you will get in the final as far as destruction goes.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
The other levels look so much better than the beta levels. Fracture is the weakest map in the game by far, I love all the others.

The two levels with giant creatures look fantastic as well. Boneyard and the perimeter defense one from campaign.

Terrific level design. Old IW is back with a vengeance.

madmackem

Honestly, discrediting Titanfall's technical graphics because it's not shiny as fuck is garbage.

What other games are doing what Titanfall is doing at it's fidelity? Battlefield looks nice and has lots of shit going on, but it's doesn't do it at the speed Titanfall has to do it. Tanks and choppers in Battlefield aren't analogous to the speed and surge of projectiles/arc lightning/whatever that Titans are constantly pumping at each other.

Titanfall's closest competitor is something like AC:V/V-Day and even that is insanely taxing on the last gen consoles.

Comparing Titanfall to a linear hack and slash, small scale/close quarter shooter or even Battlefield is ridiculous.

Battlefield blows away everything in titanfall, bf is just as fast paced with way way way more going on and looks a generation better. Just give up on the gfx crusade titanfall is what it is looks wise its very meh average looking game, its lucky most of us dont care about how it looks and are there for the gameplay.

lem0n

Fair enough, I would still rather play Titanfall than most of those games as well.

That is not my point.

My point is the game (or obviously more plausibly its sequel) would benefit from improved graphical fidelity.

This is the same reason people clamor for remakes/remasters of beloved titles.

Yes the gameplay is great, the art direction is great, etc. But it is not realized at it's full potential.

And I doubt any Titanfall fan would dissagree with me that they would love to see Titanfall 2 have all of the greatness of TFs gameplay preserved and enhanced, as well as having vastly improved graphical fidelity.

The argument that we can't have graphics AND gameplay is such an outdated one.

Also Titanfall OT2: The graphics are fine.
Trust me man, I'd love to have my cake and eat it too. Graphics and gameplay is totally doable now, we have such amazing machines to play our games on. Problem is time and resources. I assume Respawn had limited resources making their game, and they chose to focus on gameplay. Can't fault them for that, it is a game after all, not a movie. Perhaps when TF2 rolls around in a few years, it will have all the graphical fidelity of KZ ShadowFall and retain the same gameplay. Who knows. Will it be a better game for it? Hard to say. Better graphics don't always improve a game. I hope that's the case, though.

All I know is if it looks better and plays worse, like a few games I've played recently, I won't be a happy camper. Its refreshing to have a game that focuses on the gameplay for once. I feel like I've been playing beautiful blu-ray movies with some game sprinkled in for flavor.

I'm a console guy, does it show?

I guess if you repeat that few more times they'll look fine eventually :p

Doesn't matter to me personally, I'm just counting down last few hours until its unlocked.

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member

The full game got released, we have been playing all weekend. What you see in the beta is what you will get in the final as far as destruction goes.

The two levels with giant creatures look fantastic as well. Boneyard and the perimeter defense one from campaign.

Terrific level design. Old IW is back with a vengeance.

Got damn. I can't hold all these hypes guise, I can't ! Considering I already loved the art direction and general mood of the beta maps, I'm in for a treat then :3

I still hoped final version would have a bit of improvement on the purely technical side, like slightly better looking textures and all, but in all honesty, now I don't even care anymore. I just wanna play the damn game.

Ferny

Battlefield blows away everything in titanfall, bf is just as fast paced with way way way more going on and looks a generation better. Just give up on the gfx crusade titanfall is what it is looks wise its very meh average looking game, its lucky most of us dont care about how it looks and are there for the gameplay.
Just as fast? No way. I just got done playing a conquest 64 man match and there's no way it's just as fast. There is a clear difference in game speed.

BradC00

Which is redirecting the argument, which is about Titanfalls graphics being competitive, not which is the better game or which had better QC and testing.

im not here to debate you. i'm just pointing out that good graphics NEVER make a mediocre game better. after the shiny toy feeling wears off, you realize that the wrapping is the best part of the present, and that's sad :(

Mechazawa

bf is just as fast paced with way way way more going

There's tons of shit going on in Battlefield, but none of it is even close to analogous to having multiple Titans fighting each other at close proximity.

Call me when the tanks in Battlefield grow some legs, get some increased rate of fire and come charged with radial nukes.

Pat_DC

I know, cool that so many people have been playing it early.

Don't worry I know exactly what to expect as the beta was a great taster, the pre-baked/non dynamic nature of environments was just something that stood out to me. Honestly as long as the map design is tight I'll be happy.

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
Somebody got a link to a video showing the campaign mode mates ? All the videos posted on this thread I've seen got shot down by them EA ninjas. I still have no idea how it looks.

BigTnaples

There's tons of shit going on in Battlefield, but none of it is even close to analogous to having multiple Titans fighting each other at close proximity.

Call me when the tanks in Battlefield grow some legs, get some increased rate of fire and come charged with radial nukes.

You realize that none of the stuff you listed matters on a technical level, only a gameplay, level design, art level...?

6 vs 6 with lets say 20-25AI grunts running around is no where as close to as demanding to hardware as 32-32 with physics based destruction on large maps.

Movement speed and the fact that they are mechs does not suddenly make a the game harder on GPU's and CPU's.

It's a fact that BF4 has more going on and more to do graphically than Titanfall.

That said, Titanfall works at 6vs6 and Titanfall 2 should stay that way, and BF4 type destruction has no place in Titanfall where its all about mechs vs pilots. It would ruin the gameplay.

So lets keep these kind of comparisons out and focus on the graphics of Titanfall, please.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Did Respawn ever say anything about cosmetic Titan customization?

I want to paint mine pink.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Haha indeed. Until there were no more walls to grab through. :/

Dropping a Titan on a roof would also sounds cool. Destruction could work, IMO. The matches don't take that long, so there isn't much time that players would have to play on a severely destroyed map. The biggest problem might be that destroyed environments would probably hinder wall running.

ElTorro

don't you think that's a pretty integral part of the game?

That's why I said that hindering it might be the biggest problem. :p The question is if one can implement satisfying destruction that doesn't destroy or obstruct the wall-running paths, or on the contrary, creates new possibilities for wall running in the resulting ruins.

Mechazawa

You realize that none of the stuff you listed matters on a technical level, only a gameplay, level design, art level...?

6 vs 6 with lets say 20-25AI grunts running around is no where as close to as demanding to hardware as 32-32 with physics based destruction on large maps.

Movement speed and the fact that they are mechs does not suddenly make a the game harder on GPU's and CPU's.

It's a fact that BF4 has more going on and more to do graphically than Titanfall.

That said, Titanfall works at 6vs6 and Titanfall 2 should stay that way, and BF4 type destruction has no place in Titanfall where its all about mechs vs pilots. It would ruin the gameplay.

So lets keep these kind of comparisons out and focus on the graphics of Titanfall, please.

Nothing in my posts were in reference to "gameplay, level design, art design"

Giant, fast models spewing out particle effects and projectiles in close vicinity to each other has everything to do with technical level of graphics. The point of my posts was also that there's no real reference for how Titanfall should be performing outside of making comparisons with last gen games like V-Day.

You don't have any idea how taxing Titanfall is on hardware any more than I do.

Hip Hop

Nope.

Pretty much after the beta, I couldn't even play any other FPS online out there for a few days. I even uninstalled BF4 and stopped playing COD.

Where is my wallrunning? Where are my jetpacks? Where is my fast speed?

It was like I was playing watered down experiences.

BradC00

The question is if one can implement satisfying destruction that doesn't destroy or obstruct the wall-running paths, or on the contrary, creates new possibilities for wall running in the resulting ruins.

that sounds insanely cool. i can only think how hard it would be to implement correctly.

Jtrizzy

when did fine ever mean excellent?

Fine wine, fine arts...That is one of the finest games I've played. It is also used as a tepid response. If someone asks how your day went and the response is "fine", it means adequate. Or, 900p is fine. 768 not so much.

ElTorro

Screw these damn time zones, somebody needs to embed countdown timers into this thread.

Pat_DC

That's why I said that hindering it might be the biggest problem. :p The question is if one can implement satisfying destruction that doesn't destroy or obstruct the wall-running paths, or on the contrary, creates new possibilities for wall running in the resulting ruins.

That would be awesome! The lack of dynamic elements and effecting your environment (even in a big ass titan) was the only thing missing for me but would be a tricky thing to get right. Anyway have to get into TF1 before I start thinking about wishlists for TF2 :)

BigTnaples

Nothing in my posts were in reference to "gameplay, level design, art design"

Giant, fast models spewing out particle effects and projectiles in close vicinity to each other has everything to do with technical level of graphics. The point of my posts was also that there's no real reference for how Titanfall should be performing outside of making comparisons with last gen games like V-Day.

You don't have any idea how taxing Titanfall is on hardware any more than I do.

This is again, incorrect and shows a fundamental lack of understanding of how graphics and performance works.

If I have 25,000 polys, it doesn't matter if a make them into a mech, a person, or an egg, it's still 25,000 polys.

Similarly, if they are moving fast or moving slow doesn't matter, unless we are talking about draw distance or texture streaming.

Just because they are closed together and spewing out alpha and particle effects doesn't mean they are doing more.

Worst case scenario (LTS mode in Titanfall) is you have 12 titans fighting on one medium sized map and all of the effects that go with.

Worsted case scenario in Bf4, you have 64 people and around 15-20 vehicles (players are visible/interactive) in vehicles all fighting at once, that's 64 different weapons, sets of bullet trajectories, parole effects, decals, vehicle explosions, grenades, etc going off.

Apples to oranges, but one is decidedly more technically demanding than the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom