• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT2| Press X To Respawn

Now that I have an XB1 I figure I really ought to pick this up - Problem though is time (Some game about a giant ring in the sky is coming out shortly) - is the population still healthy on XB1? Hows performance these days (tearing bugs me more than it should)?

As someone who dearly, dearly loves Halo - Titanfall does so much stuff so right. Play it. Git gud. Love it.

Now that I have an XB1 I figure I really ought to pick this up - Problem though is time (Some game about a giant ring in the sky is coming out shortly) - is the population still healthy on XB1? Hows performance these days (tearing bugs me more than it should)?

titanfall is a very good and fun quick pickup when you have half hour to burn, or any time really, you can get into a match very quickly and is overall fun to play.

Mixing on foot and titan combat it's like two shooters in one, both play differently.

Heysoos

How's the community on PC? I traded in my X1 copy since all my friends stopped playing, so I figure I may as well get it on PC if I'm gonna play solo, but at the same time don't want to buy it if the community is too small.

How's the community on PC? I traded in my X1 copy since all my friends stopped playing, so I figure I may as well get it on PC if I'm gonna play solo, but at the same time don't want to buy it if the community is too small.

I guess one nice thing about the smaller player base is that I get matched with people that I am familiar with all the time. I know them, they know me, and it makes for some good times.

Game crashed on me again, Diamond 3 is where I'm at, or maybe it was two. Either way that's where I finish beta season. Dreams of Diamond V officially dashed. Please please please please don't record that permanently.

B3N1

I haven't played the game since the 2nd DLC came out, so I fired it up 2 days ago. Ranked games are nice, and seem to be placing you right around your skill level (starting to struggle with getting the battlemarks at Gold V). I played a round on each of the new maps, then went back to Map Pack 2 for the achievements. Game just felt damn amazing again with the new achievements to play for.

Now today a friend of mine invites me to a party to play the game. Says he likes the patch too along with the resolution increase. I asked him whether he was sure that there is a resolution update or where did he hear this. He just said that he thinks the game looks much better, so they probably worked on that. Somehow I realized this too while playing, like edges are smoother or something. I really don't know now if I just got used to it or they did boost it.

Here in the OT as I see the Respawn guys are pretty silent about the resolution update.
Can we get some direct feed screens to compare and analyze?
Or do I have to see a doctor?

So, season ended, I decayed down to Plat. Hopped in a few rounds of Variety Pack and this is a pretty typical result.
1PY9lEK.png

Not even good enough for a single battlemark? 4.0 k/d, 5 flag caps, 7 returns. I know the competition isn't fantastic but what am I supposed to do?

Clip - Mostly to show that the final return and cap barely moves my meter at all even down here in Platinum.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
If you have the physical version of TitanFall, do you need the disk to play it once it's installed? It's letting me play it without the disk and I don't know why. I know you normally need disks to play games that you have the disk versions of (I just tested this with Shadows of Mordor and the Xbox requires the Shadows of Mordor disk to play it) so what gives?

Also of note: I still have the disk of TitanFall, but I was considering just buying the digital version initially so I didn't have to switch the disks to play an online only game (I was still gonna buy disks for games that have an offline component like the MCC).

DodgerSan

New to the party, just received an XB1 at the weekend as a birthday gift!

Only played a couple games, but like it so far (apart from the dodgy matchmaking. When you're in a team of mostly level 2 & 3 it's pretty disheartening to be going up against 3-4 lvl 50s!)

What's this about FD being limited time only? I've heard nothing but high praise for the mode. Maybe they'll reconsider if they get enough positive feedback, I don't know. How are they on community communication?

Went back to the game with the map pack sale. Titanfall is such a time sink for me, "one more match" turns into, at least, another hour of play.

No way I'll be able to balance this with the rest of the 2014 lineup, not nearly enough time in the day!

m23

I've already bought the first two map packs separately, any point buying the season pass now? Anything other than maps in the season pass?

Or is it just better to buy the last map pack on its own?

hoserx

Bought it for $10 on amazon.com over the weekend and I truly had a great time. At work right now thinking about jumping off of walls to get to a higher vantage point to take a nap and not do my job.

Argonomic

New to the party, just received an XB1 at the weekend as a birthday gift!

Only played a couple games, but like it so far (apart from the dodgy matchmaking. When you're in a team of mostly level 2 & 3 it's pretty disheartening to be going up against 3-4 lvl 50s!)

What's this about FD being limited time only? I've heard nothing but high praise for the mode. Maybe they'll reconsider if they get enough positive feedback, I don't know. How are they on community communication?

Frontier Defense isn't going away. It is the "featured game mode" because its the new one and we wanted to shine a spotlight on it.

Is that good enough community communication? :)

Cheddahz

Banned
I ended up picking up Titanfall and the season pass yesterday and yeah, I'm enjoying it quite a bit (and yes, Frontier Defense is a blast to play)

bronkonagurski

Gold Member
Frontier Defense isn't going away. It is the "featured game mode" because its the new one and we wanted to shine a spotlight on it.

Is that good enough community communication? :)

I kind of figured it would not go away since it got its own achievement. :)

Titanfall is freaking awesome btw. I love the post-release support it has gotten in terms of updates. DLC maps have been very nice too. Great work, I appreciate it.

So... why the heck can you disable the rank chip, then enable it for like 30 seconds in the actual game, but you can't disable it the first 30 seconds when you come into the game with it enabled?

For me the latter would be far more useful. Like, I finish a game, go to the bathroom or something, and come back during the loading screen for the next round, then see it's 3v2 or something, or just a gametype/map where I know no matter what I do I won't be able to get a battlemark.

Clip - So I know everyone has had that janky eject thing where they thought they ejected but instead get termed. Well, here... I got that animation... while doing the terming? I'm pretty sure I had enough time to eject and preserve a 52-0 douchebag not-playing-the-objective-only-going-for-battlemark game against some poor noobs, but instead I finish 52-1 thanks to the eject jank.

Anyway, it's COD week, so been playing that, but I'm sure I'll get back to Titanfall soon enough... The only thing I prefer about COD:AW multi is that solid 60fps 1080p PS4 multiplayer, and the fact that the controller sensitivity goes up WAY higher than Titanfall.

Actually, let's talk about the Titanfall controller settings. Don't get me wrong, they're mostly good. The dead zone options are great. The settings up through Very High are all rather good... but wtf is up with Insane?

Very High (max horizontal speed=380):
Code:
// good for fast speed? 300:130
LINEAR	0.1		0.04
LINEAR	0.3		0.1
LINEAR	0.6		0.35
LINEAR  0.8		0.65
LINEAR	0.9		1.0
LINEAR	1.0		1.0

Insane (max horizontal speed=400):
Code:
LINEAR	0.0		0.0
LINEAR	1.0		1.0
Huh? So you sacrifice any hope of subtle control with small movements for a ~5% max turn rate increase? Am I reading this right? And aim assist is disabled for Insane?

As best as I can tell if you're using Insane you done put yourself at a pretty huge disadvantage son.

Insane may as well follow the Very High curve (which seems to be the same as all the others) and just have higher yaw (and of course scale pitch accordingly). I'm thinking for Insane maybe something more like 600, and then another Very Insane setting at like 800? I don't even know, but ideally would get up the equivalent max settings you can find in Battlefield and COD. Ya know, a real "Get turned on" setting. Err.. not arousal... emphasis on the "turned" not on the "on". Ya know. 180 degree life-saving maneuver.

And Aim Assist should probably just be a toggle for any sensitivity setting. Not a stealth disable when you go to Insane. Though it's so strong in this game that you're putting yourself at a pretty huge disadvantage if you decide to run without it.

Remember, I only complain because I care. I don't really expect new controller options to make it into Titanfall at this point, but it can't hurt to throw it out there in hopes of Titanfall 2... right guys?

Discobird

I've already bought the first two map packs separately, any point buying the season pass now? Anything other than maps in the season pass?

Or is it just better to buy the last map pack on its own?

Season pass contains nothing other than the three map packs.

The last map pack is very Titan-dominated--long sight lines, few practical height advantages for pilots (the girders on Backwater and oil pipes on Sand Trap are suicidal vs a Titan with chaingun or arc), and few or no safe ways to get from one end of the map to the other when enemy Titans are present. Dropping an early Titan with a chaingun on any IMC Rising map all but assures a load of kills, moreso than on any other map except maybe Training Grounds. Some people like this, I guess, but IMC Rising feels a bit like a failed experiment to me.

Rayme

Actually, let's talk about the Titanfall controller settings. Don't get me wrong, they're mostly good. The dead zone options are great. The settings up through Very High are all rather good... but wtf is up with Insane? [...]

Hah. =)

Insane is basically an "as raw as possible" input mode, sort of a bonus hardcore thing. One of our coders (traditionally a hardcore PC guy) was desperate to have all layers between him and the joystick removed. So we gave him this option (because it's good to keep crazy people happy).

I am awful with Insane. I assume 98% of players are. Having a linear input curve makes me super twitchy. But he swears he's better with it, he's very good at the game, and seems to have the high dexterity required, so... hey, why not, go nuts. ;)

E92 M3

Hah. =)

Insane is basically an "as raw as possible" input mode, sort of a bonus hardcore thing. One of our coders (traditionally a hardcore PC guy) was desperate to have all layers between him and the joystick removed. So we gave him this option (because it's good to keep crazy people happy).

I am awful with Insane. I assume 98% of players are. Having a linear input curve makes me super twitchy. But he swears he's better with it, he's very good at the game, and seems to have the high dexterity required, so... hey, why not, go nuts. ;)

Options are always good. No such thing as a bad option, in my eyes.

Nice, I always thought the setting meant "Insanely High" but really it's just "Insane Person" :)

No acceleration makes perfect sense if you're using a mouse, but with a thumbstick? Proof's in the pudding, his turn rate doesn't compete with mouse input. Also kind of weird that X/Y aren't 1:1 given the rest of his approach. But hey, can't argue with crazy!

inthrall

I'm thinking about getting it on Amazon for $10. My only concern is all the DLC, how gimped will I be with just the main game?

Not at all, the map selection in quick match is based on who in the party has the DLC. The more have it, the more likely it is to come up with a dlc map. However, when choosing the map in any form, you can't pick the DLC ones for alternate game modes, such as frontier defense

Argonomic

So... why the heck can you disable the rank chip, then enable it for like 30 seconds in the actual game, but you can't disable it the first 30 seconds when you come into the game with it enabled?

We added the feature because we didn't want people to quit because they forgot to turn on Ranked (which did happen in playtests).

Being able to disable it didn't quite make the cut, due to time and priority.

Jinaar

Been playing on PC since day one (Only GEN 8 because the 50 wins took forever) but just jumped onto the XBOX 1 to play it all over again.

Are there Gaffers that still play and care to group up?

Also, big thank you to Respawn personally. This game is just a beast. Even going from a high end PC to XBOX1, the game is still a marvel to play. Can't wait for TF-2. Thank you for this!

Just had a few games in the Deadly Ground playlist and it seems pretty cool so far. The electric smoke floor can give the maps a whole new look with new routes and platforms to land on, especially in game types like CTF where the flags are in different places. Will have to play a few more to see how it holds up but it's a nice little twist on the maps and game types for sure.

cluto

As a parkour-focused player, I was initially interested in a "floor is lava" mode because it sounded parkour-centric, but after several matches I have no interest in ever touching Deadly Ground again. The death fog eliminates an integral part of map navigation (bunny-hopping) which neuters the amount of parkour routes on maps, and that ultimately results in more players camping because most players aren't comfortable enough with the parkour to move around the maps effectively. The neutered parkour routes are especially noticeable on maps that already have limited parkour routes to begin with, and I found this to be a complete nightmare in the one match of CTF I played. Capturing a flag is already difficult because of all the anti-parkour things in Titanfall (smart pistols, titans, arc mines, and that god damn waypoint over your head when you have the flag), but now there's also death fog and a decreased number of ways to bring the flag back to your base.

Messing up a parkour jump or wallrun is extremely punishing, and exponentially more frustrating when your jump or wallrun faults are caused by the shitty little environment assets and details with collision models. This was already a frustrating problem in vanilla Titanfall, but now you get killed because of it. Additionally, when you get trapped down in the fog, it can be hard to find your way out because everything is... foggy. I know it's like that to communicate to the player that they're in the death fog, but if you didn't already see your way out of the fog before you fell into it, you're probably screwed, especially if you get caught off-guard or you're in the middle of a firefight and accidentally fall into the fog. Another side effect of the fog is that because the bottom half of the map is now light grey, it's easier to spot the players flying around because there is more contrast between the player model and the environment, which is nice, but way nicer for the snipers camping at the top of the maps, which there were plenty of in this mode.

I think the overall problem I have is that there isn't any kind of advantage for venturing into a disadvantageous environment -- there's no risk-reward -- only risk. I'm assuming that's why the only gametypes are ones that require players to move around, but the players who move around in the regular gametypes are going to be more successful in those regular gametypes. I can understand if people like this mode because they've played so much Titanfall that they're open to anything that shakes it up a bit, but for me, it just led to more frustration.

This is what I would change:
  • Make the fog only waist-high; this would reopen a lot more parkour routes that are currently unviable, and it will allow players to still see shit when they're stuck in the fog.
  • Have a ~1 second delay before the fog starts causing damage so that bunny-hopping isn't pointless.
  • It would look way cooler if the floor was actually lava instead of a cloud.

I agree with most of your points, except I kind of liked CTF in this mode, mostly because it didn't become such a titan-fest and people could do some more parkour flag running. Also, bunny hopping seemed to work ok for me, you seem to have about 3 seconds of life in the smoke, which is plenty if you want to do a couple of quick bunny hops into your next wall-run.

But yeah, the mode felt super-campy. Hardpoint on Training Ground was not fun at all. Not that it usually is, but it was worse!

Jinaar

I have both PC and just picked up the XBOX ONE version. People are playing and you will get full games. Been loving my time on the XBOX ONE for it after a crazy amount of time on it on PC. Both hold up well and since launch, this game is a beast.

Raide

Just had a weird game. Hopped into Frontier Defense and noticed I was killing players. I was like "Huh? Have they added to this mode already?" Then I figured it what it was. Attrition was at the top instead of Frontier. Haha!

Also how sucky it is when people leave a team. Really annoying to end up being the only person on the team and the A.I just steamrolls you.

I would like to see Respawn keep adding to the Frontier mode. More enemy types would be great and would add more variety.

Got this when it was $10 on Amazon for PC and loving the hell out of it. If anyone wants to play with me, add my origin!

Origin: Inferno313

Camp Lo

Banned
What the hell is going on with Titanfall PC. I keep getting glitches in game, like my HUD turns vertically during matches like I'm weightless then I get crazy lag spikes, from 50 to 350 ping

Top Bottom