• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall requires Origin.

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
Because the game itself isn't going against my interests. Supporting Origin itself is.

I'd like to support EA where they make the right moves(ie. back around the time they were pushing new titles like Mirrors Edge and Dead Space). In light of their recent bullshit, though Titanfall doesn't appear to be harmful itself(no preoder in-game nonsense, no micro-transactions), I simply refuse to trust EA of all companies with my digital library.

I'd like to push them in the right direction. Too bad they don't give me the option.

Why is supporting Origin against your interests? The service is stable, downloads are fast and the interface is clean and easy to navigate. If you wish to reward good behaviour then surely you should be supporting Origin?

2San

Nah, Microsoft does. The PC version still uses the Azure Cloud servers, not EA's.
Do you honestly think that MS pays for the servers for a game that makes them no money? Even if they did it would still be EA's call. We are talking about the pc version. The servers are indeed Microsofts, but it is EA that is renting them.

Gestault

Because the game itself isn't going against my interests. Supporting Origin itself is.

I'd like to support EA where they make the right moves(ie. back around the time they were pushing new titles like Mirrors Edge and Dead Space). In light of their recent bullshit, though Titanfall doesn't appear to be harmful itself(no preoder in-game nonsense, no micro-transactions), I simply refuse to trust EA of all companies with my digital library.

I'd like to push them in the right direction. Too bad they don't give me the option.

So a company producing a game you want to play and having the audacity to release it on their own distribution serving is against your interests? The release, by your own account, doesn't have any of the objectionable policies you associate with the company, and I haven't seen you make particular criticisms of the merit of the client software itself. The only concern you've expressed is that you don't think EA is worthy of trusting your digital locker with, which is odd since I don't believe we have reason to believe EA is a fly-by-night company, or that they've given any indication that they don't plan to heavily support Origin moving forward. I'd say this release is reasonable evidence of that in itself.

Your reaction is more than preference for something. It's active contempt for something else. You say you'd like to support EA when they make the right moves, but you have a game that supposedly appeals to you, with none of the objectionable policies associated with it, and you still don't accept it. I say "boo" to your sincerity in that claim.

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
So a company producing a game you want to play and having the audacity to release it on their own distribution serving is against your interests? The release, by your own account, doesn't have any of the objectionable policies you associate with the company, and I haven't seen you make particular criticisms of the merit of the client software itself. The only concern you've expressed is that you don't think EA is worthy of trusting your digital locker with, which is odd since I don't believe we have reason to believe EA is a fly-by-night company, or that they've given any indication that they don't plan to heavily support Origin moving forward. I'd say this release is reasonable evidence of that in itself.

Your reaction is more than preference for something. It's active contempt for something else. You say you'd like to support EA when they make the right moves, but you have a game that supposedly appeals to you, with none of the objectionable policies associated with it, and you still don't accept it. I say "boo" to your sincerity in that claim.

Hah, i was stringing the conversation along in exactly this direction to eventually get to the points you just made. I guess you saved me the trouble. Well said!

hawk2025

Do you honestly think that MS pays for the servers for a game that makes them no money? Even if they did it would still be EA's call. We are talking about the pc version. The servers are indeed Microsofts, but it is EA that is renting them.

Probably part of the exclusivity deal -- free MS servers for the PC version as well.

Dolor

which is odd since I don't believe we have reason to believe EA is a fly-by-night company, or that they've given any indication that they don't plan to heavily support Origin moving forward.

EA will drop Origin like a sack of potatoes as soon as they don't see future profits above their hurdle rate on it.

Not at all unreasonable to be more skeptical of them than CDPR or Valve.

Gestault

EA will drop Origin like a sack of potatoes as soon as they don't see future profits above their hurdle rate on it.

Not at all unreasonable to be more skeptical of them than CDPR or Valve.

So if a company has a profit motive for operating a digital marketplace (even if they've shown a willingness to invest heavily in it), they can't be trusted?

vazel

Banned
The only concern you've expressed is that you don't think EA is worthy of trusting your digital locker with, which is odd since I don't believe we have reason to believe EA is a fly-by-night company, or that they've given any indication that they don't plan to heavily support Origin moving forward. I'd say this release is reasonable evidence of that in itself.
I remember when I thought the same of Direct2Drive, especially since they were owned by IGN/FOX. I lost SWAT 4 in D2D's transition to Gamefly.

Dolor

So if a company has a profit motive for operating a digital marketplace (even if they've shown a willingness to invest heavily in it), they can't be trusted?
That's overly reductive and willingly obtuse. EA has a history of putting its interests above those of gamers. More so than most and certainly more than Valve.

Wiktor

It's an online only game. If EA decides to drop it even being on Steam wouldn;t save it after EA closes all servers down. I guess you could count on some people making unofficial servers (altough in this particular case it might be really hard to pull off), but if there's interest they will do it for Origin too.

Keasar

Why is supporting Origin against your interests? The service is stable, downloads are fast and the interface is clean and easy to navigate. If you wish to reward good behaviour then surely you should be supporting Origin?

Personally I have issues with Origin because in Sweden their pricing is absolutely insane.

Titanfall on EA's Swedish Origin, digital only: 599 SEK = 92 USD
Titanfall in Swedish retail stores, PC version, physical box with code to redeem on Origin: 367 SEK = 56 USD

Cynar

Rewarding good behavior would be having the ability to purchase it on steam.

Wiktor

Personally I have issues with Origin because in Sweden their pricing is absolutely insane.

Titanfall on EA's Swedish Origin, digital only: 599 SEK = 92 USD
Titanfall in Swedish retail stores, PC version, physical box with code to redeem on Origin: 367 SEK = 56 USD

Well...Steam prices often also are insane compared to local retail ones.

LowerLevel

That's overly reductive and willingly obtuse. EA has a history of putting its interests above those of gamers. More so than most and certainly more than Valve.

I also remember them honoring an issue where many downloaded quite a few games free or at an extremely discounted price ($20 promotional reduction code if I recall that could be reused). It was amazing the amount of people that expected EA to forcibly remove said games/DLC from Origin in response but they pretty much told people to "enjoy" the games. That word of mouth from CAG, GAF, -Faq's, -Spot, etc I'm sure was immense and the amount of "money" they possibly lost...

I'm not saying EA isn't a cesspool of a company, apparently, but they do occasionally show a smile.

Top Bottom