• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall requires Origin.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
at least EA doesnt do what ubi does

dropping turds on steam that still require uplay running to launch

i don't mind origin at all tbh

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
It is when it's a split friends list. Especially with a client that no one regularly boots up.

Split friends list would be if it were on both steam and origin. This way if you have a friend playing titanfall, you know they're signed into origin.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I used origin when crisis 3 came out last year and it always signed me out when I exited. Every step of that platform actively fought me. I'm really hesitant about putting more money into that service. And then I need to propagate a new friends list, which is a total nightmare. I really really want this game but I can't overstate how much I just don't want to use origin. It'd be one thing if the game just wasn't on steam and was sold through EA directly. But instead it's tied up some garbage social network absolutely nobody wanted or asked for. It detracts from the value of the game. The game is worth tangibly less to me with this requirement. Hopefully the game is good enough to overcome this unseemliness.

I can honestly feel the clock already ticking down to Titanfall being unusable when they Axe the servers in preparation for Titanfall3.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
That is the problem, though. There are going to be a bunch of people who would have bought TitanFall and will not now.

Well then the irrational hatred of anything not named Steam is their fault, not EA's.

Gattsu25

Banned
Origin has been plastered with Titanfall ads since I installed it two weeks ago (in preparation of Titanfall) and I haven't seen a single mention of Titanfall on Steam. This was expected and is not a surprise. It's still disappointing, though.

Drainer

Banned
I'm not a big PC gamer. So much so that I have a Windwos 8.1 partition on my MacPro, but even then, I have both Steam AND Origin installed. I have this pre-ordered on One anyway.

Is this a big deal because of a more OCD thing about having all your games in one place?

Or is it just a "fuck EA" thing?

I mean, in the end, you're still getting the same game regardless of the delivery platform no?

Smash88

Banned
I'm not trying to perpetuate the whole Origin hate, even though I find it a terrible system implemented due to greed and jealously of what Valve has setup.

Origin coupled with the 6v6 + bot battles, I cannot justify a purchase.

This was really obvious though.

Etnos

Banned
Well then the irrational hatred of anything not named Steam is their fault, not EA's.

Which make the paradox even sadder is that steam has become in the de-facto monopoly for digital distribution on PC, Isn't PC greatness based on it being a open platform? Why then narrow your options to one?

Mrbob

Well it is also our problem too because less people will be playing the game.

I wouldn't necessarily call those people irrational either. Especially since this is Respawns game and EA is only the publisher. There is no good reason for this game to be on Origin except because EA.

Which make the paradox even sadder is that steam has become in the de-facto monopoly for digital distribution on PC, Isn't PC greatness based on it being a open platform? Why then narrow your options to one?

What exactly are you arguing here? Sales or playing with friends? Steam already has plenty of competition for sales. This is about playing with your friends and there is no good from splitting up the friend user base onto a separate service no one wants to use.

Chindogg

Shocking news, but I was still holding out hope.

Sadly there will be no purchase from me. I don't like how EA handles things and nothing they've recently done has proven to me that they'll treat Titanfall users differently.

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
Origin is OK, I've never had a problem with it.

Agreed. There is nothing wrong with Origin. Some people seem to be so eager to imply that they have high standards by completely shitting on everything but a select few games/services, which is just childish and hyperbolic.

Orayn

Expected, yet still kind of disappointing. Would have preferred Steam because of its social features and wanting to keep my library in one place if possible, but Origin is okay-ish. Could be a lot worse, I suppose.

Alienous

If I get into the beta I'll soak up and store as much Titanfall fun as I can until Titanfall 2's release.

It really has been a sequence of hype dampening announcements.

aeolist

Banned
i might have been tempted to buy if it were on steam, good to see EA is helping me stay strong and not give them any money

ElfArmy177

Really? No buy? Seriously? Origin isnt that bad... PC gamers need to get over this hatred for anything that isnt steam. Besides, I dont really think they give a shit that a handful of gamers wont purchase their game because its on "origin" and not their favorite "steam". Its not like a different console! Its on the same god damn screen for the love of god! Game is gonna sell a shit ton on PC without you guys.. lol

z1ggy

I don't mind Origin. Had to use it for FIFA games and it isn´t that bad. What bothers me is the price tag.

Well on the upside if the game ends up looking like a pile of shit no one will ever know since Origin doesn't support screenshots.

C'mon. You can't be serious? Your argument isn't that it has bad DRM, is buggy, is hard to use or unintuitive, but that it can't take screenshots? If that's the only problem with Origin then it is a mighty damn good service.

DR3AM

Half life is steam exclusive = omg I luvez valve
Titanfall is orgin exclusive = omg wtf fuck you ea

Wthermans

Banned
Wasn't going to buy anyway. But the Origin requirement just solidifies my stance.

Half life is steam exclusive = omg I luvez valve
Titanfall is orgin exclusive = omg wtf fuck you ea
Steam is better than Origin. But I don't expect you to know the difference.

Top Bottom