• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

To Welcome the Inclusion of Girls, Boy Scouts of America to Be Renamed "Scouts BSA"

or 108 years, the Boy Scouts of America’s flagship program has been known simply as the Boy Scouts. With girls soon entering the ranks, the group says that iconic name will change.

The organization on Wednesday announced a new name for its Boy Scouts program: Scouts BSA. The change will take effect in February.

“We wanted to land on something that evokes the past but also conveys the inclusive nature of the program going forward,” he said. “We’re trying to find the right way to say we’re here for both young men and young women.”

I find "Scouts (Boy Scouts of America)" as redundant. Also, this raises the question concerning if the Girl Scouts are now also redundant.

Since most people don't know what either organization does, here's a story from NPR:
"Over the years, Sydney's activities with the troop have included camping trips, hiking, archery, ice climbing and, yes, knot-tying. As a city kid, she has learned to cherish a connection to the outdoors and she credits the Boy Scouts for helping to foster it.

"But although the local troop has welcomed Sydney's participation, she is not able to officially earn merit badges and advance in rank along with the boys around her ... For the last few years, she has been asking the Boy Scouts of America to let girls officially join through letters to national leadership, public op-eds and a Change.org petition.

" 'I just want to see a change,' she said. 'Right now they're discriminating against girls, and I'm just calling it as it is.' "

Source

Tenderfood

Banned
Rebranding is an important step. Soon they will be an indoors only grouping of young adults, pitching tents will be a thing of the past. Approved.

-Minsc-

Here's my impression of the situation, money. Enrollment to both the Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts seems to be declining. The Boy Scouts just got the jump on the game by diversifying, in a business sense.

NickFire

The next few years will be interesting for the scouts. On the one hand they just expanded their potential customer base by 100% and presumably will no longer have the far left attacking them. On the other hand, can you ever really insulate yourself from attacks by the far left? And will they gain enough kids to long term offset the loss of those hold more traditional views of the world, or who just refuse to be part of a group that caves to the left on these issues, or who wants nothing to do with parents who claim their daughters are being discriminated against by not sharing tents with boys (and you know someone will argue it eventually)?

Personally, I think the leadership wants to believe that having a group for just boys is the reason their numbers have shrunk, but in reality its really caused by two things. First, we live in a technology driven world and not as many people value things like camping as in prior decades. Second, and more catastrophic to scouting, is the simple reality that kids who are heavily involved in sports have a tough time getting the most out of scouts, because you can only do so much while also attending school and getting homework done.

As such, I do think that opening the membership base up will help in the short term with a flood of new scouts that may help a great deal with losses due to sports / lack of interest. But long term I have no idea if this will pay off or not. Boy scouts no longer exists, and I simply have no idea whether the identity loss impact will be outweighed by the surge of new scouts once the enthusiasm of being able to join fizzles out. Guessing it will work out favorably because increasing your potential membership so drastically suggests the numbers are on your side, but scouting is one of those things where the local feelings matter a lot and I am not sure the media accurately represents the feelings of most existing scouting families.

Here's my impression of the situation, money. Enrollment to both the Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts seems to be declining. The Boy Scouts just got the jump on the game by diversifying, in a business sense.
Girl scouts are better hustlers though. Why else there is girl scout ice cream from Breyers? Or Coffee coolatta and donuts from Dunkin Donuts? Boyscout popcorn is not even on the same level as girl scout cookies.

Fbh

Stupid name.

Just call them "Scouts". It had been like that in my country since I was a kid. It's always been mixed and there has never been an issue with it. The activities sound pretty much the same as those of American boy scouts

Dubloon7

Banned
Why not "Scouts of America"???? Everyone learns to camp, set a fire, tie knots, sell monopolized cookies and shitty popcorn

Last edited:

manfestival

I think people call them scouts anyways. This is ridiculous. So what is happening to girls scouts? Are they included in this or are they changing their name as well? Are they going to include boys also?

TrainedRage

Banned
My problem is those stuck up girl scouts who won't let feminine boys or transitioning boys in. Fuck them. Good for the "'boy' scouts".

Cleared_Hot

I was a DeMolay. It was a far more rewarding experience and gave me way more life lessons and skills then I imagine I would've received in boy scouts.

LordPezix

Fucking Boy Scouts, that shit was like advanced forces training. Had to pack in 20 miles, hunt food, build shelter, face the harsh elements, and from time to time fight other members for pecking rights.

I remember sleeping in snow atop of Mt.Hood, skinning a deer with my bare hands and a shitty swiss army knife and then defending it from the cougars.

Made me the man I am today.

As a lifelong member of the Girl Scouts, I fucking hate this. I hope GSUSA sticks to their guns in saying "fuck this" in response.

I think people call them scouts anyways. This is ridiculous. So what is happening to girls scouts? Are they included in this or are they changing their name as well? Are they going to include boys also?

GSUSA will not be accepting boys, nor will they be changing their name, and they're fucking pissed about this. They released a statement that more or less boils down to "Go fuck yourself":

“Girl Scouts is the premier leadership-development organization for girls,” said Sylvia Acevedo, the organization’s CEO. “We are, and will remain, the first choice for girls and parents who want to provide their girls opportunities to build new skills . . . and grow into happy, successful, civically engaged adults.”

I've met Sylvia Acevedo. She's a tough lady who's hard to deal with. I can't imagine her backing away from this "go fuck yourself, BSA" statement tbh, but stranger things have happened. You know, like the BOY Scouts getting so desperate for membership that they decide to start poaching girls instead of, you know, getting scout leaders who aren't fucking pedophiles.

Last edited:

Liberty4all

Banned
I think it’s garbage. Males should be able to have their own groups just Ike women.

I’m not saying a co Ed grouonis wrong, but not at the expense of taking away a male space that has helped men for over 100 years.

It’s bullshit imho and another example of political correctness run amok.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
As a lifelong member of the Girl Scouts, I fucking hate this. I hope GSUSA sticks to their guns in saying "fuck this" in response.

GSUSA will not be accepting boys, nor will they be changing their name, and they're fucking pissed about this. They released a statement that more or less boils down to "Go fuck yourself":

I've met Sylvia Acevedo. She's a tough lady who's hard to deal with. I can't imagine her backing away from this "go fuck yourself, BSA" statement tbh, but stranger things have happened. You know, like the BOY Scouts getting so desperate for membership that they decide to start poaching girls instead of, you know, getting scout leaders who aren't fucking pedophiles.

As a former member of the Boys Scouts, I honestly see no issue with the inclusion of females. I think both sides are making too much an issue over this. I know a number of my old friends who *hated* the girl scouts and would rather be doing the activities that we did in the Boy Scouts, but weren't allowed because of their sex. Now they can and good for them. As long as they don't change their priorities and focus on the leadership and outdoorsmen mentality that made the Boys Scouts what they were.

Last edited:

Lynd7

I agree boys should have their own groups and shouldn't be seen as a bad thing.

Will they offer single sex groups for people still? There is definitely a time and place for single sex groupings for things.

Adding girls is fine, but they should offer co-ed and single sex.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
You know, like the BOY Scouts getting so desperate for membership that they decide to start poaching girls
I think maybe the national campaign against them calling it discrimination and splitting support among their own base who have interested daughters responding to the Ireland's call might have had more to do with it.

Edit: There is also the issue that many families involved with Boy Scouts have a more evangelical position and take issue with the Girl Scouts supporting liberal positions on many things. There may well be plenty of people seeking ways for their girls to experience scout activities without becoming pro-choice or something.

Last edited:
As a former member of the Boys Scouts, I honestly see no issue with the inclusion of females. I think both sides are making too much an issue over this. I know a number of my old friends who *hated* the girl scouts and would rather be doing the activities that we did in the Boy Scouts, but weren't allowed because of their sex. Now they can and good for them. As long as they don't change their priorities and focus on the leadership and outdoorsmen mentality that made the Boys Scouts what they were.

Girl Scouts has changed a lot since we were kids. They do mostly do the same activities as BSA plus activities relating to the STEM field in order to get girls interested, and that's on top of other activities that are seen as more "traditionally" feminine in order to remain inclusive to all types of personalities and preferences among young girls/women.

The issue with this is that the BSA will not be a safe place for girls (or the boys, anymore!) to be themselves. At younger ages, a co-ed setting is better suited for a classroom. But for something that's supposed to promote things like a personal sense of leadership and values, gender roles do get in the way whether we like it or not.

Idiot parents will look at the co-ed environment of BSA now and think "yay, inclusivity!" without realizing that both girls AND boys could get the same social dynamic at school, and being a part of this organization doesn't actually help them at all. It more or less turns Scouts into a vocational school, where kids learn outdoor survival skills and little else.

I think maybe the national campaign against them calling it discrimination and splitting support among their own base who have interested daughters responding to the Ireland's call might have had more to do with it.

It's been reported that membership is plummeting off of a cliff:

BSA said allowing girls into the organization permits families with boys and girls to do one-stop shopping for activities.

The 108-year-old organization decided to open its doors to girls last year after several years of declining membership.

The organization says it has nearly 2.3 million youth members between 5 and 21, a decrease from the 2.8 million members in 2012.

In its peak years, BSA had more than 4 million participants.

Last edited:

Ecrofirt

I'm a cubmaster who grew up as a scout, with a son who is already a cub, and a daughter who is going to kindergarten in the fall and will be old enough to be a cub.

I'm so happy they're welcoming girls at the Cub level. Don't forget, young women have been involved in scouting for a long time now with the Venture program, so it's not like this is a completely brand new thing.

My daughter is there every week as is, involved and enjoying every moment. The local Girl Scouts leadership is buckling, with all of their camps closed. I love my daughter, and I want her to have a chance to experience the same things I did during my youth.

Jack Videogames

Gold Member
So the Boy Scouts will be accepting everyone and the Girl Scouts will still be a "girls only" club.

2018! Where "No Girls Allowed" forts are icky and "No Boys Allowed" forts are refreshing and empowering.

Last edited:

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
In Australia, girls have been in the scouts since the 70s.

To be honest, Girl Scouts in America sounds lame.

zelo-ca

I wonder if the left will be livid when the girl scouts starts to include boys and it will also be rebranded.

Last edited:

Dunki

Name it Scouts of America done.

Why is the boy even in there anymore when they want to change it in the first place? Makes no damn sense^^

Seems like girl scouts are still growing so they want to keep it separate, meanwhile boy scouts is declining so they want to get more people in.

Perhaps when girl scouts stops doing so well they'll merge.

It should just be called Scouts as pepole have suggested.

Last edited by a moderator:
Name it Scouts of America done.

Why is the boy even in there anymore when they want to change it in the first place? Makes no damn sense^^
Calling it scouts of america is fine, but it should happen if both sides agree to merge. It might be seen as inclusive to the girl scouts imo as the majority of Scouts BSA will be still male while still offering boy scout-only programs such as camping or archery.

Dunki

Calling it scouts of america is fine, but it should happen if both sides agree to merge. It might be seen as inclusive to the girl scouts imo as the majority of Scouts BSA will be still male while still offering boy scout-only programs such as camping or archery.
So wait. Girl scouts of america is also a thing? Wait than this is fucking stupid to removve boy scouts of America.

Yes Merge these two together and do not discriminate here.

So wait. Girl scouts of america is also a thing? Wait than this is fucking stupid to removve boy scouts of America.

Yes Merge these two together and do not discriminate here.

The problem is GSA doesn't want to because they're doing fine, where as BSA isn't. Maybe in the future.

Dunki

The problem is GSA doesn't want to because they're doing fine, where as BSA isn't. Maybe in the future.
But how does this help the boys scouts to get more member? It makes no sense at all. It should be lead under one flag with activities boys and girls do together. Why is this shit so complicated in the US^^

We have something called Pfadfinder and as far as I know they are also not separated by gender.
vcp_NiklasTuepker.jpg

Last edited:
C
But how does this help the boys scouts to get more member? It makes no sense at all. It should be lead under one flag with activities boys and girls do together. Why is this shit so complicated in the US^^

We have something called Pfadfinder and as far as I know they are also not separated by gender.

BSA is like a century old. It has its niche, boys, and so a little time later GSA was born for girls. The two programs are still very different. Time passed and BSA started declining so they did things to modernize, aka grow their numbers.

The name change is another attempt by BSA to add inclusion, aka to get those numbers up. GSA is probably declining too, but they aren't bleeding like BSA.

Last edited by a moderator:

TrainedRage

Banned
I'm a cubmaster who grew up as a scout, with a son who is already a cub, and a daughter who is going to kindergarten in the fall and will be old enough to be a cub.

I'm so happy they're welcoming girls at the Cub level. Don't forget, young women have been involved in scouting for a long time now with the Venture program, so it's not like this is a completely brand new thing.

My daughter is there every week as is, involved and enjoying every moment. The local Girl Scouts leadership is buckling, with all of their camps closed. I love my daughter, and I want her to have a chance to experience the same things I did during my youth.

They are only having girls as part of the Cubs? Not the scouts? Or can girls be shooting for Eagle Scout?

-Minsc-

From the interview:

Hosking: Why are the Boy Scouts losing members?

Proctor: I think clubs generally in the U.S. have lost members. There’s literature that suggests kids are doing a lot more activities early, particularly sports, and they’re kind of overextended. To add on an additional activity of doing scouting might just be the tipping point. [Both Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts] have also had an issue recruiting leaders: Volunteerism in the U.S. has fallen precipitously in recent years.

We really do live in a different world than in the past). There's just so much stuff out there grabbing for our time.

camelCase

The scouts have been dying for a while for a number of reasons. My brother used to go shooting with his group once a week at a local range, and made a bunch of friends there. We lived in Anaheim CA. As far as I remember it was a pretty OK institution. I could give a fuck about the bellyachers who pushed this weird name change on the organization.

I have no problem with it per se, as gender split scouting has always been a bit odd to me. Perhaps it's meant to support good role models of the same sex as you, then again that should usually be your father/mother. Scouting just doesn't seem like a thing that really need a gender split, especially in current society, as homosexuality is accepted (makes the argument that it's split to avoid romantic fraternization silly). Unlike sports, where women are at a severe disadvantage, scouting just seems like the natural thing to keep as non-gendered. In Norway "Speideren" has been one organization since 1978, when the two gendered scouting organizations merged.

Top Bottom