• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Today in Trump: "That church *probably* wasn't talking about me"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malyse

One reading during the service, about the importance of humility, included a reference that caught Trump’s ear.

“Can you imagine eye telling hand, ‘Get lost, I don’t need you’ or hearing the head telling the foot, ‘You’re fired, your job has been phased out?’” the reader said in a reference to Trump’s signature phrase when he was the star of “The Apprentice.”

In her sermon, the pastor, Pamela Saturnia, also made several references with resonance.

“Jesus is teaching us today that he has come for those who are outside of the church,” she said, preaching a message of healing and acceptance for “those who are the most unloved, the most discriminated against, the most forgotten in our community and in our world.”

Among those she cited were “the Syrian refugees” and “the Mexican migrants.” Trump has advocated barring all Syrian refugees from entering the country and deporting all of the estimated 11 million people living in the United States.

“I don’t know if that was aimed at me. Perhaps,” Trump said after the hour-long service at the First Presbyterian Church in Muscatine.
At times, Trump has appeared to struggle to affirm his Christian credentials. He often feels compelled to remind Christian audiences that he was raised as a Presbyterian. He has brought to and waved a copy of his childhood Bible and a photo of his confirmation at some events as evidence of his upbringing.

He has made what have been seen as several minor missteps on religion during the campaign, mistakenly pronouncing Second Corinthians as “two Corinthians” during a speech last week at Liberty University in Virginia, Falwell’s school, and saying in an interview that he had never sought forgiveness from God.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...-heres-his-reaction-when-church-service-ends/

Muscatine is in Iowa, btw.

In b4 the anti religion circlejerk

The media is acting like Trump is the first politician to make pandering to religious voters so obvious. The number of sincere Christians in politics is probably under 10%.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
TIL The Blaze is apparently a conservative site?

What could ever give you that idea

3z9rEak.jpg

Malyse

Glenn Beck runs it.

Pretty hardcore

Lol, is there a long history of altruism collapsing societies?

It's Glenn Beck's site.

It's founded by Glenn Beck and refers to the freshly indicted anti-PP activists as "filmmakers".

So I'm not sure how you missed that until now.

What could ever give you that idea

WELP.
Did you make the quote in the title up OP? This is the quote I'm getting from the article:

“I don’t know if that was aimed at me. Perhaps,”
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraphrase

deadlast

I hate it when churches become politic or talk about politics.

They are abuse their privilege

I believe there is some law they violate when they do that and can be in jeopardy of losing their tax exemption status. Another church got in trouble over this, but I think nothing happened in the end.

Gotchaye

I hate it when churches become politic or talk about politics.

They are abuse their privilege

I believe there is some law they violate when they do that and can be in jeopardy of losing their tax exemption status. Another church got in trouble over this, but I think nothing happened in the end.

Legally, they're not supposed to work for or against particular candidates, basically. I don't know if it's well-enforced and regardless that leaves a lot of room to talk about politically relevant issues. It's a pretty narrow rule because almost nobody wants churches to have to never "talk about politics". Politics is important! Political decisions are rightly informed by people's ideas of what's true and what's moral and what sort of society we should be trying to build. Politics is obviously something that people are going to look to their religion for guidance on.

daveo42

Banned
Trump: I love the bible and words in it. Everyone loves my book, but the bible is better. Let me show you my biblical knowledge.

*proceeds to misquote bible while waving around a book he hasn't opened in 50 years*

"We love the Evangelicals"

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
So funny to see Glenn Beck go after Trump. That CNN interview with Beck.. you can see Beck twiddling his thumbs when Cuomo asks him about the GOP "birthing Donald Trump." In just a few short months Beck went from saying Trump is what the country needs to the realization that Trumps victory (or even loss in the general) will be disastrous.

matmanx1

Legally, they're not supposed to work for or against particular candidates, basically. I don't know if it's well-enforced and regardless that leaves a lot of room to talk about politically relevant issues. It's a pretty narrow rule because almost nobody wants churches to have to never "talk about politics". Politics is important! Political decisions are rightly informed by people's ideas of what's true and what's moral and what sort of society we should be trying to build. Politics is obviously something that people are going to look to their religion for guidance on.

Thank you. This is a reasonable and rationale response. And as far as Trump goes, I'm pretty sure he's a pretender in terms of Christianity but it's not really my place to judge him. All I can do is go on what I see.

gaugebozo

They only can't endorse a candidate if they want to remain tax exempt. Many times an election year, some churches endorse candidates, but the IRS doesn't like to seem like it's pushing state over church issues, so it generally has to be really bad. Organizations have sued the IRS for their lax enforecment. https://www.baptiststandard.com/new...-endorsement-endangers-churches-tax-exemption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom