• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Today is the day I went pc only.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I’ve considered it now that I’ve got a Steam Deck and Sony studios stuff is coming over and PC GamePass is a thing. Emulation could be a bit too janky to drop the Switch, though.

Iced Arcade

Makes sense and nice set up.

Myself I just like the plug and play no effort fat ass on the sofa life of consoles. But I get it

Last edited:

ksdixon

I'm highly considering it myself, as no one really fulfils what I want fully.

Love MS's XB BC efforts but almost nothing else. Wish they'd compete properly within the game space. I'm not big on monthly subscriptions, I wouldn't have GP without £1-for-3yr deal - i'd rather buy higher priced games off the Store in general and own them digitally. Not a problem for XB, just goto the store and buy (or, usually, option to DL/stream on GP/XC). It's so good that I think I only have a 360 hanging around for non-BC Guitar Hero games. Which I'd update the hardware in the classic colored notes style, release one "hub game" a generation and just build upon it. and even if the old dlc stuff is left to the past, a future GH song dlc store should just carry on forward from the relaunch. Of course.. this digital purchases/dlc thing is still an issue for Sony, because my PS3 digital purchases aren't honored (yet?). I assume one day Dino Crisis 2 PS1 will be added to PS+++, and I hope my purchase will be honored. Granted, back in the day on PS3 it wasn't on UK PStore so I had to buy it on US one, so who knows what hoops I'll have to jump through then. Sony have so far to go with ironing out their BC/streaming/subscription model direction... and I just don't get it.

I also like the idea of the XB GP/Xcloud phone/TV apps. Accessing my games from more devices/in more ways. But I don't see it as anything more than MS co-opting Sony's early PSNow plans, before they removed the ability to play from a PC/Sony Bravia TVs etc. I just wish Sony were still heading this route, and also had a PSP out to give that portable factor.

Untitled1179-q82-w480-h.webp

I honestly feel like at some point when prices come down a bit, I'll end up standardising on the GPD WIN 4 to capture as many rounding points as I can.

- Portable, comfy Vita form factor but improved (L2, R2).
- Is a PC, can run pc, ps, xb/GP games. Probably pc ports available for older games on steam/gog that are not on console BC services, and of course, the emulation option.
- Can still remote play ps5 or xbsx on Windows Remote Play apps, I don't believe a Vita can remote play a PS5.

Last edited:
You're back is gonna hate you. Should have just saved up or put it on credit and kept the hand held and one console at least. Working from home no one wants to sit at a desk longer than they should have to.. thisis why the steam deck is taking off so well.

Fredrik

I would move primarily back to PC if they just did one thing: Physical Games.
Digital is a cancer and I despise it with every fiber of my being. It is great as an option, but it should only ever be that: an option.
I used to do that for movies and music and now I have a couple hundred CDs, DVDs and Blurays collecting dust on a shelf of shame. There is a quality difference there though that still interest me but for games I’ve fully jumped into the digital world, I see no downsides. All I see with physical games is the need to move my ass from the couch to change disc when I want to play another game - I’m too lazy for that!

Last edited:

MikeM

Update: Just ran the hdmi 2.1 cable from the gpu to my C1. Works perfectly once you flip the input’s Game Mode on. Have HDR signals coming through at 1440p (not running 4k due to my card being a 6700xt).

Now I have both desk or couch options.

Last edited:

dirtyarcade

Neo Member
Opposite for me, honestly. I've been primarily a PC gamer since about 2009. Unfortunately, a lot of the friends I had that game on PC (MMO's mostly) have all moved on and had families and aren't online as much as they used to be. However, my friends on console are all still fairly active, lately on Overwatch 2 specifically. It didn't help that around the time I was due for a hardware upgrade, PC hardware prices shot through the roof. I no longer could justify spending $1k+ to build a new PC, so when the new consoles came out, I went ahead and grabbed a PS5 (Series X later on...for some reason). Now I'm at the point where I just don't see myself building a new PC unless there's some big PC exclusive I want to build a new PC for.

Another thing that's happened since Covid is the fact I now work 100% remotely. I sit at my desk at my PC all day already, and even though I never thought I'd have this issue myself, I very quickly got worn out from being on my PC all day. When I got off work, the last thing I wanted to do was boot up a game and spend another few hours doing the same thing I was already doing all day. I bought a nice recliner and set up a little gaming corner in my office with a wall mounted TV, and that's what I have my consoles connected to. I know it sounds dumb, but just moving over 6feet and sitting in a different chair makes me feel like "okay, I'm taking it easy and gaming now". Gets me more in the mood to play.

I might go back to PC at some point, and just to keep it 100% real, I do feel like this console generation has kinda sucked. But that's mostly due to lack of creative new IP's. I do LOVE being able to just pick up my controller and get into my game within seconds with no issues versus the occasional trek into system settings on PC whenever a game was doing something weird. I don't know, I go back and forth. But it's console gaming exclusively for now for me.

I'm glad you have found a new love for PC gaming. At the end of the day, whatever makes you happy! It's just a hobby!

Last edited:
I used to do that for movies and music and now I have a couple hundred CDs, DVDs and Blurays collecting dust on a shelf of shame. There is a quality difference there though that still interest me but for games I’ve fully jumped into the digital world, I see no downsides. All I see with physical games is the need to move my ass from the couch to change disc when I want to play another game - I’m too lazy for that!

It is odd. Music and films? I don't care about not having them physically aside from a very small handful of shows/movies (mostly old animated stuff and some Vinyl). But games, I just can't do it. I have been burned too many times to move to digital fully and I go back and replay old games quite frequently. I do cut back on my collection to pair down to my absolute favorite titles on occasion - but I still have thousands lol.

I am all for Digital being an option. It is a *great* option! I just don't like seeing it become the *only* option. We should push for more choice, not less. You enjoying digital and myself enjoying physical shouldn't be an issue for anyone. Giving consumers more choice is only ever a good thing.

Stamps1646

I move away from Xbox in late 2020 and built a new PC. * I do use PCGamePass from time to time*
I sold my PS5 in 2021. I still purchase Sony titles when they're ported to Steam*
I still enjoy my Switch, but I use an emulator to play my purchased titles for a better overall experience.

I have honestly saved more money sticking to 95% PC then I ever did when I was playing on Xbox/PS consoles.

Last edited:

Fredrik

It is odd. Music and films? I don't care about not having them physically aside from a very small handful of shows/movies (mostly old animated stuff and some Vinyl). But games, I just can't do it. I have been burned too many times to move to digital fully and I go back and replay old games quite frequently. I do cut back on my collection to pair down to my absolute favorite titles on occasion - but I still have thousands lol.

I am all for Digital being an option. It is a *great* option! I just don't like seeing it become the *only* option. We should push for more choice, not less. You enjoying digital and myself enjoying physical shouldn't be an issue for anyone. Giving consumers more choice is only ever a good thing.
Good reply!
I do agree that having options is the best. But it’s tricky with PC apparently, my wife have a ton of physical older games and it’s very common that she has to struggle to play them. Ignoring some old Pentium era games I went digital right away, and I have so little issues that I think it’s like having a console. It just works.

But if Valve would decide to close Steam when Gabe retire or whatever. Yeah that wouldn’t be fun!

anthraticus

Banned
Plug your PC into your TV. Buy a controller, wireless mouse and wireless keyboard. Select everything with the mouse and use a controller for almost every game. Sit on the couch and your PC is now a console that can play almost every game ever made.
Best of both worlds. Still don't know how ppl like CuteFaceJay a few posts up doesn't know this is a thing.
OOOe1u5.gif
EbLaHnh.gif
9NPzE3n.gif

Last edited:

GametimeUK

I was going to go PC only, but my consoles are necessary at the moment for modern games since all new PC releases have shader compilation stutter. Spend all that money on a PC to have stuttering games. Great.

M1987

I'm thinking of selling my PS5 and Series X and going PC only too,after seeing how consoles are going to perform with next gen games like A Plague Tale being 30fps, and Silent Hill probably being the same

Last edited:

Fredrik

I was going to go PC only, but my consoles are necessary at the moment for modern games since all new PC releases have shader compilation stutter. Spend all that money on a PC to have stuttering games. Great.
Just a heads up on this. Elden Ring have these weird shader loading halts on PC, like it stops to 0fps for like a second, don’t happen often but when it do happen you can’t miss it.

But on my completely new PC it is such a minor thing now that avoiding the whole platform for that wouldn’t make any sense. It’s just a quick stutter and then a quick speed increase like it’s trying to catch up without having missed pushing out a single frame, and it’s extremely rare.
Can’t see anyone ranting about that, except maybe DF lol

No idea which part it is that has decreased it to such a minimal problem; CPU speed, system RAM speed/size, bus speed, GPU RAM speed/size, m.2 speed? 🤔

For me it's become a serious space issue. I used to buy tons of music every single month in physical form (vinyl and CD for the most part, also tapes sometimes). At one point my collection got so big that I had to trim the fat. Now, I'm trying to limit myself to just the most important pieces of art, while the rest is kept in digital format. But that is already compromising my once set physical-only standard. Digital is creeping into my music habits slowly but steadily. I can see why many people are adopting it for everything where it's an option. Living space is limited, and it doesn't make a lot of sense to stuff it full of things you rarely touch.

I want to go console because PC prices are so ridiculous now. But to play all games I’d need both a PS5 and Xbox so it’s crap either way.

rofif

Banned
You're back is gonna hate you. Should have just saved up or put it on credit and kept the hand held and one console at least. Working from home no one wants to sit at a desk longer than they should have to.. thisis why the steam deck is taking off so well.
He can get a good chair. I got secretlab 2022 this year and it’s so good. Not gaming crap at all.got all the possible adjustments. 3 way armrests movement. Seat movement , lumbar depth and height etc

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots

No reason why they can't run it to a TV. (and I prefer consoles generally, less headache)

GymWolf

Gold Member
Okay 🤡. You want OP to tell you when he/she wipes their ass too. Thread is completely unnecessary and has absolutely no content or value whatsoever. It’s a bait thread, but keep acting tough behind your screen.
Jesus dude, the forum for people who is always miserable has a purple name on top, you may want to check it out.

Imagine being so fucking mad for such an innocent topic...

Bait for what exactly?Are you seeing OP talking shit about consoles for any chance? He literally said this in his first post:

Feel a little strange as I have been a console gamer most of my life. Hope I don’t regret my move, and, on an unrelated note, do you people knew that Gymwolf has an humongous shlong?

The only one acting like a bitc...tought here is you.

Last edited:

Thebonehead

Banned
Jesus dude, the forum for people who is always miserable has a purple name on top, you may want to check it out.

Imagine being so fucking mad for such an innocent topic...

Bait for what exactly?Are you seeing OP talking shit about consoles for any chance? He literally said this in his first post:

Feel a little strange as I have been a console gamer most of my life. Hope I don’t regret my move, and, on an unrelated note, do you people knew that Gymwolf is a humongous shlong?

The only one acting like a bitc...tought here is you.

Fixed that for you ;)

Filben

Plug your PC into your TV. Buy a controller, wireless mouse and wireless keyboard. Select everything with the mouse and use a controller for almost every game. Sit on the couch and your PC is now a console that can play almost every game ever made.
Additionally to the post above: Steam also recently updated their Beta client for desktop PCs to adapt the Steam Deck UI. Just make a shortcut on your desktop, add -gamepadui to the launch parameter, and launch Steam via this shortcut when on a couch.

If you use your PC primarily as a couch/gaming PC you can also tell Steam to start right into its Big Picture mode. Leave your working station/laptop/PC in your office.

I'll be switching to PC soon now that this generation has proved consoles will just be slight iterative improvements from now on. The last game that felt like a generational leap to me was Infamous Second Son during the PS4 launch, and that was a decade ago. No point buying a PS5 or Xbox when they are releasing most of their big exclusives on PC now. I'll keep buying whatever handhelds Nintendo releases though, they're the only gaming company still producing that nostalgia itch that can't be scratched anywhere else.

Last edited:

DarkestHour

Banned
I don't ever play my consoles unless there's a game not on PC or it's much more enjoyable sitting on a couch. Mostly for my kids to use. Think I've played my PS5 for all of 10 hours since getting it on launch week. Same with Series S.

Top Bottom