• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Today, liberty of expression died in Mexico.

Status
Not open for further replies.
No links in English so far, but the Mexican Congress approved a law to ban all manifestation/protests in Mexico.

MÉXICO, D.F. (apro).- En medio de las crecientes manifestaciones contra el gobierno de Enrique Peña Nieto por el caso de los 43 normalistas de Ayotzinapa desaparecidos, PRI, PAN, PVEM y Panal aprobaron en San Lázaro cambios constitucionales que permitirían a la autoridad frenar las protestas.

De forma sorpresiva, PRI y PAN sacaron de la “congeladora” un dictamen sobre “movilidad social” que, el 24 de abril pasado, avaló la Comisión de Puntos Constitucionales que preside el perredista e integrante de la corriente de Los Chuchos, Julio César Moreno Rivera, y lo pusieron hoy a consideración del pleno.

Se trata de cambios al 11 y 73 constitucionales; en el primero se establece que “el Estado garantizará el derecho de todas las personas a la movilidad universal atendiendo los principios de igualdad, accesibilidad, disponibilidad y sustentabilidad”.

En tanto que al artículo 73 se le añadió que el Congreso puede legislar en “materia de movilidad universal en los términos de la Constitución… y que podrá expedir la Ley General de Movilidad que haga efectivo el pleno ejercicio del derecho a la movilidad”.

http://www.proceso.com.mx/?p=389667

For those that do not know, in the past weeks Mexico has seen the biggest manifestations/protests in a long time. This happened because in Ayotzinapa, a small town in Guerrero 43 students where killed/kidnapped by the police and the narcs.

Some images of yesterday manifestation:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/conzpreti/mexico-awoke

enhanced-buzz-wide-20411-1417545793-13.jpg

enhanced-buzz-wide-7387-1417545857-6.jpg

enhanced-buzz-wide-8642-1417546983-7.jpg

Feep

Banned
Could you define "manifestation" in context for all of us unfamiliar with the situation? Just protests?

FUME5

Manifestation? I think the word you're looking for is protest.

Banning all protests is.....insane.

Could you define "manifestation" in context for all of us unfamiliar with the situation? Just protests?

The Mexican Congress approved a law that permits all levels of government to ban any type of manifestations that includes some type of "mobility". Basically any type of march.

Edit: Yeah, any type of protests.

Rembrandt

Banned
The Mexican Congress approved a law that permits all levels of government to ban any type of manifestations that includes some type of "mobility". Basically any type of march.

Edit: Yeah, any type of protests.

That's scary. I'm sure they will fight it, but who knows with how corrupt the government is.

"Manifestación" (spanish) = "Protest"

This is absolutely insane. I'm at a loss of words, to be honest with you. As Mexican I couldn't imagine how the Mexican government could be a bigger piece of shit than it already is, but here it is. They've found a new low.

Miutsu

"Manifestación" (spanish) = "Protest"

This is absolutely insane. I'm at a loss of words, to be honest with you. As Mexican I couldn't imagine how the Mexican government could be a bigger piece of shit than it already is, but here it is. They've found a new low.

As a Venezuelan, let me tell you governments can ALWAYS go lower and I can relate to the situation really well, hope you can stop it before you end up like us.

Mexican here. I would love to see more sources besides Proceso, please....

Here (although i'm not sure what is the issue with Proceso, I find them to be for the most part very trustworthy)

http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/nacion-mexico/2014/avalan-diputados-reforma-sobre-movilidad-universal-1058913.html

http://www.milenio.com/politica/ley_de_movilidad-ley_de_movilidad_y_marchas-manifestaciones_y_movilidad_0_419958303.html

Not surprised, Mexico has always been ruled by an authoritarian government under the disguise of a democratic one.

EDIT: Fixed links

Damn this is despicable. Truly hurts my heart that this is happening out here, a country continuously fucked by political criminals.

Ishida

Banned
Here (although i'm not sure what is the issue with Proceso, I find them to be for the most part very trustworthy)

http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/nacion-mexico/2014/avalan-diputados-reforma-sobre-movilidad-universal-1058913.html

http://www.milenio.com/politica/ley_de_movilidad-ley_de_movilidad_y_marchas-manifestaciones_y_movilidad_0_419958303.html

Not surprised, Mexico has always been ruled by an authoritarian government under the disguise of a democratic one.

Thank you.

The argument for doing this was: since protests limits the right to mobility for some individuals, then the government will have the power to ban them in order to secure the right.

SalvaPot

Well, one more point to the politics who orchestrated the Ayotzinapan kidnappings and murders, this is exactly the kind of stuff they wanted to instigate, but I'm sure they where not expecting it to get on a national level.

Shit is heavy and politics are so fucked up over here, in Mexico.

The argument for doing this was: since protests limits the right to mobility for some individuals, then the government will have the power to ban them in order to secure the right.

You see, that was pretty much the reason why those poor students got killed, their protests were harming local economy and they got rid of them to ease that problem. They won't need to pay for clandestine murderers anymore, now they have made it official.

I'm confused the article in the OP says they added some words to the constitution about "the state guaranteeing mobility."

How does that remove the right to protest?

And they mention other parts of the consitution which enshrine this right:
Y enumeró: El 35, “que habla del derecho a asociarse para tomar parte en los asuntos políticos”; el 9 que advierte que no se podrá coartar el derecho a reunirse con cualquier fin, “que dice que no podrá ser disuelta una asamblea o reunión que tenga por objeto hacer una petición o denuncia por un acto o presentar una protesta ante una autoridad”.

Those aren't 11 and 73 which the article says were changed

Ishida

Banned
I'm confused the article in the OP says they added some words to the constitution about "the state guaranteeing mobility."

Clickbait articles with misleading and incomplete info to fool the masses, like usual.

They basically made the universal right to mobility a bigger right than those. Protest are good as long as they do not limit the right to mobility of others.

The thing is, the current protests are massive, in the capital you have thousands of people in the street. So that type of manifestations limit the right of mobility of others, so they can be banned in order to secure the right.

This is probably the best summary since it pretty much just summarizes the debate that was had (or not had according to the processo article)

I understand the fear but this seems silly that this is going to stop all protests or ban them.

They basically made the universal right to mobility a bigger right than those. Protest are good as long as they do not limit the right to mobility of others.

That's not what the author said (obviously biased). Though I'm no expert on Mexican Constitutional law

En este sentido, agregó que el derecho a la movilidad universal no se contrapone con el ejercicio de otras garantías fundamentales, tales como el libre tránsito o el derecho de reunión o manifestación.

No se puede, dijo, sacrificar un derecho por encima de otro, por lo que la legislación deberá regular la actuación de la autoridad para permitir el ejercicio armónico de la movilidad, implementando planes y procedimientos operativos adecuados, para facilitar el ejercicio del derecho de reunión sin poner en riesgo el ejercicio del derecho a la movilidad universal.

Did mexico have no laws about protests and public safety before this?

Is there anyway this is a way to build the state to have a bigger role in building roads meaning fatter contracts for cronies than a strike at protests?

That's not what the author said (obviously biased). Though I'm no expert on Mexican Constitutional law

Did mexico have no laws about protests and public safety before this?

Is there anyway this is a way to build the state to have a bigger role in building roads meaning fatter contracts for cronies than a strike at protests?

The diputados page is the arguments of both factions, the ones that approved the law (PRI, PAN, PVEM) and the ones against it (PRD, PT).

They have those types of laws, but they are local.

Could be, but the current protest are harming the economy of the country, some companies in Guerrero are treating to leave if this situation is not resolved.

Edit: Mexican law is full of tricky laws that can be interpreted in multiple ways.

The thing is, the current protests are massive, in the capital you have thousands of people in the street. So that type of manifestations limit the right of mobility of others, so they can be banned in order to secure the right.
No dude, freedom died today (or something).

No mention of needed senate approval. Or local congresses approval. Read your goddamn articles people. Clickbait f'n sucks.

And lmao @ ishida's distrust of unam. Iteso boy for sure.

I'm unfamiliar with the details of Mexico's political parties. What's with the PRD?
The recent students massacre took place under prd rule, the mayor of the place (and his wife) had known strong bonds to the local cartel and somehow the party didn't blink an eye when choosing him as candidate. 40+ students are missing because of this oversight.

The founder and ideological father of the party resigned to it last weekend because of the putrid stench coming out of the party's elite.

In my eyes the prd is as bad as pri. Born from it, pretend to be representatives of the left's social agenda when in reality they are troglodyte tribalists whose corruption would make priistas cringe. How apt that the article mentions Mrs. Padierna, wife of a rat of the size of Bejarano. How quickly we forget.

Mexiquito no te acabes

I'm unfamiliar with the details of Mexico's political parties. What's with the PRD?

There is no good political party, PRD stands for Party of the Democratic Revolution. Mostly ex-PRI scumbags, and all kind of anti-government, anti-anything sods (most of them from the UNAM "human" "sciences" majors, hence the distrust of many people).

The party almost got to office in 2006 but the candidate blew off a huge margin by being a complete ass and alienating the people who actually vote. They obviously cried vote fraud and make a huge rukus, and a huge ass of themselves.

Now the same guy "founded" its own PP, "morena". Not to be confused with all the PP and movements form Latin America, this is a complete original thing.

Gotta say 'tho, how sad that the best University in this god-forsaken country gets a bad rep from its more vocal, reactionary factions. Unam has nobel prize laureates. What's your alma mater's contribution to society?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom