• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Today, PS Vita is 4 years old

It's either one of the best systems available at the moment if it's your first system in the PlayStation family and if you don't own any other systems (including a modest PC that can play indie games), or a very disappointing follow-up to a portable device that had a wonderfully unique and diverse library.

Shinriji

Current library has 1237 games (released + announced). This week alone, 7 games were announced.

Vita is the 10th system in number of games, surpassing all Sega consoles and even juggernauts like the GBA.

It's nice but only warmed up to it recently via the PSTV. For some reason it always gave me hand cramps, and even with the beautiful screen I preferred a more comfortable experience of Dualshock 4 so as soon as I tried PSTV I sold mine with little hesitation since I don't take my gaming outside.

Persona 4 Golden
Ys Memories in Celceta
Zero Escape VLR
Freedom Wars
Soul Sacrifice Delta

These games make me cherish my Vita/PSTV and are the must have titles IMO (I didn't like Danganronpa sadly). Besides these I mostly use mine to play PSP games...like Monster Hunter Freedom on the big screen which seems to be consuming me nowadays. Anyway, happy anniversary Vita!

Mihos

Gold Member
Still my most played and favorite system, and I have everything. I am not seeing this 'death' everyone keeps talking about. I am still pre-ordering things for it.

I really need to pick up a second one, but I like the release version better than the refresh.

Mihos

Gold Member
Happy birthday, Vita! Can't wait to get mine!

PSVitaDQ-790x593.jpg

I want this.....

Rodolink

I loved PSVita hardware since I placed my hands on one, in that E3. It's just a beautiful console, perfect weight, the best screen, great buttons. Even the slim model is just great to handle. And I've never owned one because of the price and because there are so few games I like personally only GravityRush, TearAway and... that's it I lol. I'll get one when it gets cheaper :/ It's sad developers abandoned this fine piece of gaming, I'd have loved a Monster Hunter, FInal Fantasy, God of War, a GTA stories! but no u_u only ports and games I've already played.

I can totally understand why it wasn't successful, but I like my Vita. It's become a great companion piece to the PS4 as well as a portable ps1 machine.

I loved PSVita hardware since I placed my hands on one, in that E3. It's just a beautiful console, perfect weight, the best screen, great buttons. Even the slim model is just great to handle. And I've never owned one because of the price and because there are so few games I like personally only GravityRush, TearAway and... that's it I lol. I'll get one when it gets cheaper :/ It's sad developers abandoned this fine piece of gaming, I'd have loved a Monster Hunter, FInal Fantasy, God of War, a GTA stories! but no u_u only ports and games I've already played.

Next year the Vita is getting decent Sqaure Enix support, I'm excited to see what becomes of SE's effort

Morts

I want to like mine more than I do. I have the Slim one, and it's pretty uncomfortable for me to hold for long periods of time, especially compared to the admittedly less-slick 3DS XL. I keep telling myself I'm going to play some PS 1 classics on it but I keep playing other devices instead.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Best Hanheld I have owned in the past 4 years! I love my PS Vita and outside of having to pay premium for Memory Cards (I have a 64GB) the system is nearly perfect to me and I can only hope that Nintendo's next Handheld System can live up to this hardware standards.

Rich!

Seems like the perfect time to put the 64GB cards on sale for a reasonable cost!

Dude...how???

It's the new model. I got mine from play Asia, £124. The finish is matte on the front, the only gloss part is the touchpad at the back and the screen.

It's awesome.

dsc_0329opprj.jpg

Got a 64gb in it filled with awesome games. Will always love the Vita for introducing me to despair! Upupupupu

ubercheez

Still use mine all the time. Absolutely worth the purchase for all the great Japanese and indie games that have come out for it (and still continue to come out).

It's my favorite way to play MLB The Show, as well. I just wish they would have refined Madden a little more and had some sort of NBA 2K and/or NHL game.

WigWamBam

Neo Member
Sold my 3ds to get mine, it was a massive mistake!

Rectified my mistake, went to my local Game store and traded my Vita for a brand new 3DS XL with Pokemon.

Already having way more fun than I ever did with my Vita, it's a fantastic piece of hardware but the lack of good games is shocking!

It's not, but it's the best we can do with their proprietary crap.

Fair point, but I thought that was just common knowledge among Vita owners lol

And yes, the pricing of the proprietary cards are terrible.

Waste of my money. Nice hardware tho.

Depends on what you're looking for. I bought mine used for $85 (it's in mint condition) and had been flagging Vita titles from my PS+ subscription since they started offering them. The value is incredible for me.

Ikon

I've been playing a ton more on my vita lately. My favorite games are so far: Persona 4 Golden, Gravity Rush and Uncharted Golden Abyss.

If I were to only play say... 5 more games on the system, which games should I play?

Card Boy

Banned
Disgusting the way they handled the PS TV. Especially when certain games work in some regions and not in others. What's the fucken deal there? They way they blocked that whitelist is bullshit, what loss was there for them? Why can't I play Danganropa 1 on the PSTV but US can? Fuck you Sony.

I've been playing a ton more on my vita lately. My favorite games are so far: Persona 4 Golden, Gravity Rush and Uncharted Golden Abyss.

If I were to only play say... 5 more games on the system, which games should I play?

Danganronpa
Danganronpa 2
Soul Sacrifice Delta
Tearaway
Virtue's Last Reward (play the prequel 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors for the DS first)

Current library has 1237 games (released + announced). This week alone, 7 games were announced.

Vita is the 10th system in number of games, surpassing all Sega consoles and even juggernauts like the GBA.

And, somehow, the Brazilian PS Store got only 780 PS Vita games. Lots of them are PSP/PSOne ports.

Danganronpa 1&2
Ys Memories of Celceta
Virtues Last Reward (Play 999 first only on ds)
Killzone Mercenary
WipeOut 2048.

Souls Sacrifice Delta and Muramasa Rebirth are both also great.

Unit 13
Killzone Mercenary
Batman Arkham Blackgate
Wipeout 2048
Freedom Wars

Oni Jazar

The fall of the Vita is a damn shame. It's an awesome system that still has the ability to put out amazing games. Two things killed it: The proprietary memory system and Capcom. If Capcom had kept Monster Hunter on Sony portables it would have been enough to see a much healthier library.

Ikon

Danganronpa
Danganronpa 2
Soul Sacrifice Delta
Tearaway
Virtue's Last Reward (play the prequel 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors for the DS first)

Danganronpa 1&2
Ys Memories of Celceta
Virtues Last Reward (Play 999 first only on ds)
Killzone Mercenary
WipeOut 2048.

Souls Sacrifice Delta and Muramasa Rebirth are both also great.
Thanks for the tips guys. Will definitely check these out. Danganronpa or 999 first?

Unit 13
Killzone Mercenary
Batman Arkham Blackgate
Wipeout 2048
Freedom Wars
Nice to see some variation here too. I already own Killzone and am looking forward to playing it and Wipeout is always a treat. Freedom Wars is online right? How is it to play alone?

Thanks for the tips guys. Will definitely check these out. Danganronpa or 999 first?

Nice to see some variation here too. I already own Killzone and am looking forward to playing it and Wipeout is always a treat. Freedom Wars is online right? How is it to play alone?

I just finished the *campaign* a few days ago, completely alone. The only real struggle I had was the final boss, had to go online to get some help with that one. AI is perfectly serviceable, although there will be moments both online and off your accessory drives you nuts. Game was a huge eye opener for me though. Fantastic visuals, very immersive world , devs make a real effort to compliment your play conditions with what you're being told about the world around you, I found that really cool, especially in the early hours. Happy to play online too if you need a solid team mate (y)

Windforce

Happy b-day Vita!

I loved Destiny of Spirits so much... wish it had a sequel even if on PS4.

Also, Persona 4 Golden is incredible and many other games on the go (FFVII, FFX, SFxTK, Umvc3, etc) makes Vita my favorite handheld ever.

The fall of the Vita is a damn shame. It's an awesome system that still has the ability to put out amazing games. Two things killed it: The proprietary memory system and Capcom. If Capcom had kept Monster Hunter on Sony portables it would have been enough to see a much healthier library.

Yes, Capcom definitely had the hand on this 'kill'.

Kacho

Damn...time goes by so fast. The Vita is hands down the most disappointing gaming machine I've ever owned. Such a lackluster library of games.

Can anyone recommend some good turn-based strategy games? I just started playing Ghost Recon Shadow Wars 3ds( good game), and am in the mood for something like that on Vita.

Up to you really.
Considering you'll need a DS to play 999 id say buy and play Danganronpa 1 & 2 first then try and get 999, just for conveniences sake incase you dont have a ds or need to look around for the game.

They're both really great series.

This is counting flash games and "made in a weekend" ultra low budget indies right?

Seems unfair to compare with prior systems unless its tongue and cheek humor.

Any idea what the number of games was that had a retail presence or digital games that were made by a team of say 5 people or more?

Would be an interesting comparison.

Ekai

Wow. 4 years and I've only ever owned 2 games for it.

Weren't there only like 4 or so games that were truly worth getting for the Vita anyway?
P4G, Gravity Rush, Freedom Wars and uhh....umm......anything else I can think of is on another system. Not to knock those who do like the system, I just never hear of any games on the system. At all.

Sorry, Killzone is so damn fun that I must put it on every list regarding Vita's library.

Freedom Wars can be played solo. You can find it for free on PS Plus this month and It's a fun game, even for me: I don't like JRPG.

Another game that you could look into is WRC.

IMHO, 999 is the far better game (they're my top 2 franchises though). So I'd say go with Danganronpa, especially since 999 is for the DS and definitely play it on a DS (even a second hand DS, DS Lite, DSi or at worst a second hand 2DS will do, but play it on a DS). Danganronpa's the first game to try if you want to play on Vita. Overall 999 is better but since you want to play on Vita, I'd say get Danganronpa. The series is notoriously easy to get spoiled on by the way, so don't even google anything from Danganronpa (Zero Escape too, but a lesser extent).

Both Danganronpa and Zero Escape (999&VLR) are receiving sequels in 2016 too (don't look Zero Escape 3 up, the premise has spoilers), ZE3 is coming in Summer and will be English whereas all we know about Danganronpa V3 (Danganronpa 3 is different, DR3 is an anime and everything about it is a spoiler for the first Danganronpa) is that it's coming to Japan in 2016, so it'll likely be released in English by 2017. Danganronpa also has a canon third person shooter spinoff called Danganronpa Another Episode, the whole premise of this game is also a DR1 spoiler so don't look it up.

TL;DR: Unless you have a DS already and willing to start 999 there before moving on to the Vita afterwards, Danganronpa is the better first choice. Danganronpa is easy as all fuck to spoil, so play the first before looking ANYTHING up about the series including plot premises of other games and character names. Virtue's Last Reward is the GOAT. Don't play VLR before 999. VLR also has a 3DS version but it has a dangerous save glitch and is lower res.

Rich!

Weren't there only like 4 or so games that were truly worth getting for the Vita anyway?
P4G, Gravity Rush, Freedom Wars and uhh....umm......anything else I can think of is on another system. Not to knock those who do like the system, I just never hear of any games on the system. At all.

Danganronpa 1 and 2 are absolute classics and imo the number one reason to get a vita. You also have Metal Gear HD collection, Tearaway, wipeout, atelier series, Ys, Soul Sacrifice, Street Fighter X Tekken, SteinsGate, Virtues Last Reward, digital titles such as Shovel Knight and a whole host of awesome indie titles, a brilliant PSP and PS1 back catalogue

Just off the top of my head. I have 48gb of games on my vita.

No games? No. You just aren't looking hard enough. Theres loads of awesome titles and most are very cheap digitally in sales.

I was there day one and its never let me down. If you like Japanese games or western indies its a must own. I also find it funny that despite poor overall sales support always seems to be increasing for it.

Tigress

I love my VIta. It's my favorite handheld ever. I always wanted a handheld that tried to be powerful but pocket sized (even if I admit it's not really a feasable product. I'm glad Sony tried anyways even if it did end up too expensive to sell as a handheld in the US). I love the games I can play on it and I love having two thumbsticks on it, that makes a huge difference imho. I love that it can play PSX games (I always wanted a handheld that can play Playstation games since hte playstation and even though it's years later I'm still loving that it's a portable playstation) but I have plenty of Vita games I like for it as well. And it's great for indies and JRPGs too (it feels like settling down with a good book when you play games on it).

It may have failed here but it stil gets games and I've not had any handheld that came close to having as many games I wanted to play on it as this one.

Ekai

Danganronpa 1 and 2 are absolute classics and imo the number one reason to get a vita. You also have Metal Gear HD collection, Tearaway, Ys, Soul Sacrifice, Street Fighter X Tekken, SteinsGate, Virtues Last Reward, digital titles such as Shovel Knight and a whole host of awesome indie titles, a brilliant PSP and PS1 back catalogue

Just off the top of my head. I have 48gb of games on my vita.

No games? No. You just aren't looking.

However, a good chunk of those are on other systems already. I'm talking about exclusives to make the Vita appealing. There isn't much I'm aware of in that regard. More power to you but I still never hear of much of any exclusive on it.

Upinsmoke

I'm giving mine to my soon to be five year old. Gonna get him a few games for it for his birthday. I don't use it and I've been left disappointed by the output.

Top Bottom