• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Todd Howard says Starfield is already optimized "You might need to upgrade your PC."

f87a0-16940201959217-1920.jpg
Yes those potatoes are absolutely worth the garbage performance.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Todd… you don’t have Ray tracing , lumens, and all this other crazy visual shit in your game. To boot you took a blood deal to dismiss DLSS for cash so you prayed modders will help on that.

At least it doesn’t have shader compilation stutter or one cpu core doing all the work with no GPU usage like the last 3 years have been plagued with .

It can absolutely be better optimized.

Holammer

Knowing how media works, the question might have been screened in advance. Nobody wants to embarrass companies that buy lots of advertising and give access, so it's not a place for ambush journalism. If they wanted to wreck him, ask why it did not launch with DLSS out of the box.

e8b.png

This is what happens when audience get to ask questions in person and without screening.

feynoob

At least it was worthy of the shite performance at the time considering the fact that it took at least half a decade for other games to catch up with it visually (and also in some sandbox elements, which a lot of people seem to forget). It was very much ahead of its time.
Problems with games these days is just an eye candy and nothing else.
We dont get the old destruction sites like we used to get from old games.
I miss the time, when my weopons actually did damage to the enviroments.

We might not get another crysis like game again.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Add no FOV slider to your list as well.

The lack of DLSS really hurts this game. Yes, that can be solved with mods but as an out of the box experience this would be a worse experience for me on a 4090 than Hogwarts Legacy was.

I absolutely guarantee the discourse surrounding the performance of this game would be much better had it shipped with DLSS. When you have reports of your game running poorly on 4090+x3d rigs without any ray tracing then there's no coming back from that.
The problem is with the 5800x3d. Not starfield. game runs fine on plenty of CPUs when paired with a 4090. look at how well the latest 7000 series CPUs stack up compared to the 5800x3d.

And FSR is fine in this game. People really need to stop with this DLSS worship. I actually tried it for a bit last night before it crashed and its virtually identical save for some distant dithering. At least in quality. I know FSR Performance stinks compared to dlss performance but quality is roughy on par.

sCnPSHN.jpg
Ay66Loo.jpg

LordCBH

Kinda blows my mind that this is the first game that says it needs an SSD and it actually kinda does. Borderline unplayable in my HDD lol. Weird cause it doesn’t seem to be doing anything precious games don’t. Oh well. SSD’s are dirt cheap lol

SlimySnake

Todd… you don’t have Ray tracing , lumens, and all this other crazy visual shit in your game. To boot you took a blood deal to dismiss DLSS for cash so you prayed modders will help on that.

At least it doesn’t have shader compilation stutter or one cpu core doing all the work with no GPU usage like the last 3 years have been plagued with .

It can absolutely be better optimized.
This game has realtime GI which is basically what lumens is.

It has better asset quality on ingame objects than 99% of the games this gen.

It is a huge next gen leap over fallout 4. It makes perfect sense why it would require next gen high end GPUs to run at 4k 60 fps.

GHG

yes, a game that also ran badly on most hardware :messenger_tears_of_joy:

As explained above, it broke new ground at the time, it was worth it. This game isn't breaking new ground in any way from a technological perspective.

The problem is with the 5800x3d. Not starfield. game runs fine on plenty of CPUs when paired with a 4090. look at how well the latest 7000 series CPUs stack up compared to the 5800x3d.

And FSR is fine in this game. People really need to stop with this DLSS worship. I actually tried it for a bit last night before it crashed and its virtually identical save for some distant dithering. At least in quality. I know FSR Performance stinks compared to dlss performance but quality is roughy on par.

sCnPSHN.jpg
Ay66Loo.jpg

This is literally the only game out there that the 5800x3d has struggled with, it's an anomaly.

As for FSR, it's garbage, sorry.

SlimySnake

Ah yes, basic ass havok that did the same thing almost 13 years ago

j2MtZY.gif

ef0.gif
At absolutely trash fidelity. There is a reason why we havent seen this in games since skyrim. no one wants to sacrifice visual fidelity to get shit like this in video games. Or you wouldve seen this.

We went through this earlier this year with FF16's big setpieces and titan battles. Over the last 10 years, games have shied away from physics and big setpieces in favor of fancy graphics up close. FF16 has that fidelity AND the setpieces. Starfield has the fidelity and the physics.

GymWolf

One of the most polished pc porting this year (cit.)

The fun start at 5:00 min mark, watch the whole thing.

You may want to buy a pack of those diapers for adults because you risk of pissing yourself,
(Even funnier for people who did this mission)

Last edited:

SlimySnake

It's literally not a feature, 95% of games have havok since what? The past 15 years?

And it's not even something that happen naturally, people wasted days hoarding those objects in one place.
and 100% of the games in the past 15 years do fuck all with it.

GymWolf

tell that to nintendo, they add basic physics to zelda and its the second coming of christ.
Zelda has a physics system with elements that interact with each others, way more advanced than basic havok.

And it is used for gameplay purpose, not for cute gifs.

acm2000

Zelda has a physics system with elements that interact with each others, way more advanced than basic havok.

and to get those basic physics the world is barren, low res and 30fps, thats the price.

GymWolf

and 100% of the games in the past 15 years do fuck all with it.
And that doesn't make it even a slightly bit more nextgen because in the case of starfield it is used for cute gifs at best, not sure what your point is.

If you had a cheat code to duplicate objects, 95% of games on the market would do that in the same exact way, havok is not black magic, is the simplest form of objects interaction that we had in the past 2 decades.

Last edited:

GymWolf

and to get those basic physics the world is barren, low res and 30fps, thats the price.
They do what they can with the hardware they have, todd can't even get close with hardware that are what? 50x times stronger?
But sure, zelda look and run like shit, i give you that, their fault for having a shitty tablet hardware in 2023.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

Ah yes, basic ass havok that did the same thing almost 13 years ago

j2MtZY.gif

ef0.gif
Absolutely disgusting people having fun with video game entertainment software. It shouldn't be allowed. Don't they know how the technology is reserved for only the most boring and sterile art imaginable?

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The game can look decent at times with some direct light sources like a sun, but without a light source and just using ambient lighting like atlantis at night it can look very flat and dull.

2tAsdU1.jpeg

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Zelda uses pretty simple meshes. I think when Switch 2 comes out it'll become apparent how heavy the cost adding visual fidelity is across the board.

Not to say that the end results will be underwhelming, just that when the additional power of the new chipset is leveraged I think people will be a little surprised where the impact points will be, in the sense of where the advancement will be more and less apparent on different aspects.

Lokaum D+

"We have another product for ppl that dont have a next gen PC, its called Skyrim"

This game looks worse then Cyberpunk dont even have basic RT and this thurd is talking about "uprgrading your PC ?", the Xbox consoles cant even run this shit at locked 30fps without dips here and there.
The audacity of someone that dont want to upgrade and has been using the same bronken engine for the last 20 years is insane, fuck you Todd.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
As optimized as that ancient engine can manage, perhaps. They call it "Creation Engine 2", but it's very obvious they've really only upgraded the visuals. At its core it still has the same old limitations (no proper open world streaming etc).

GymWolf

Zelda uses pretty simple meshes. I think when Switch 2 comes out it'll become apparent how heavy the cost adding visual fidelity is across the board.

Not to say that the end results will be underwhelming, just that when the additional power of the new chipset is leveraged I think people will be a little surprised where the impact points will be, in the sense of where the advancement will be more and less apparent on different aspects.
I know exactly what you are saying.

The more simple your game look, the more easier is to make advanced physics for it, in reality trees don't break in 3 perfect parts and 90% of the silly stuff would look ridicolous in a realistic looking game, i said the same thing multiple times in multiple topics in the past.
But super realistic physics in zelda would probably break the gameplay because you expect some result when doing something, real physics would be too chaotic and unprecise for what zelda want to achieve, it is already a bitch to drive what you build in tokt because the whole system is completely physic based and most of the time it is not "fun" to drive those things unless you are precise to the millimeter with superhand when you build them.

Noita looks like shit and its physics system make zelda look like the most static game in the world (or any game really)

Last edited:

Xander3116

One of the most polished pc porting this year (cit.)

The fun start at 5:00 min mark, watch the whole thing.

You may want to buy a pack of those diapers for adults because you risk of pissing yourself,
(Even funnier for people who did this mission)

That never happened to me in my play through, but that stuff is hilarious.

GymWolf

Of
That never happened to me in my play through, but that stuff is hilarious.
Of course it doesn't happen to everyone.

But this stuff only happen in their games, that's a MAJOR fuckup if you analize what happen in that video.

In other games you have crashes, visual glitches, sure maybe a character can be bugged and you can't complete the mission, but here? That's some parallel reality shit right there...

I love the comments, Barret is INEVITABLE :lollipop_squinting:

Last edited:
Top Bottom