• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2017 |OT| Playing Trauma Center in Space and Hollywood

Tiu Neo

@Neo
Blade is tech, even though it messes with them biologically (similar to the Showa Riders but without surgery).

Yeah, even on the Showa Riders, there are some cases where the Riders are a bit more than just mutants. Amazon is a mutant, but it's because of a mystic source - the Bracelet. Black may be Bio (it even has the meat parts on his joints), but has a bit of mystic thrown in, with the Kingstone. And then RX is a bit more mystic, even, thanks to the power of the sun.

NeonZ

Yeah, in that case I think Amazon and Amazons are the only options barring
Agito? Not sure how you would categorize Agito/Another Agito/Gills
. And I think the same applies to Faiz?

Black would fit there too, although he has armor over his bio monster form.

Yeah, even on the Showa Riders, there are some cases where the Riders are a bit more than just mutants. Amazon is a mutant, but it's because of a mystic source - the Bracelet. Black may be Bio (it even has the meat parts on his joints), but has a bit of mystic thrown in, with the Kingstone. And then RX is a bit more mystic, even, thanks to the power of the sun.

Amazon also had some kind of surgery performed on him, with the armlet being given to him at the end as a power source. There was a SIC story where he transformed into a red Amazon without the armlet (but soon would die if he didn't recover it), which was likely the design inspiration for Amazon Alpha.

WarRock

Even from the other Ishinomori manga characters, the only ones I am 100% sure didn't have something done to their bodies and could transform were Inazuman (psychic powers/mutations) and Arashi (ninja technique to morph into a animal-human hybrid). Black may be one too but I don't recall the backstory well enough (that and the Black manga is fucking nuts).

Tiu Neo

Amazon also had some kind of surgery performed on him, with the armlet being given to him at the end as a power source. There was a SIC story where he transformed into a red Amazon without the armlet (but soon would die if he didn't recover it), which was likely the design inspiration for Amazon Alpha.

Yeah, I remember that. But in this case the surgery is more like... a ritual? Well, anyway, it's not natural.

...or is it? At least in the series I understood as the bracelet being the source of his power.

Even from the other Ishinomori manga characters, the only ones I am 100% sure didn't have something done to their bodies and could transform were Inazuman (psychic powers/mutations) and Arashi (ninja technique to morph into a animal-human hybrid). Black may be one too but I don't recall the backstory well enough (that and the Black manga is fucking nuts).

Black had the Kingstone implanted in him, by surgery. Same with Shadowmoon, but Black ran away before his incubation period. He even had that Grasshopper monster form before he first transformed into black.

Machineman is also by Ishinomori, but his powers are actually technology from his home planet. As far as I remember, he didn't do any surgery.

Tiu Neo

If you're counting Amazon, then Ex-Aid is a Bio rider.

But the virus on Amazon is technological, based on data, while on Amazon it's bio engineering and then, later, contamination by Amazon cells, so full bio.

Even without the belts and armlets, their armors are biological, Haruka could transform without the belt.

NeonZ

Yeah, I remember that. But in this case the surgery is more like... a ritual? Well, anyway, it's not natural.

...or is it? At least in the series I understood as the bracelet being the source of his power.

The old Inca man is actually shown cutting him up, so it wasn't just a magical ritual. Obviously we don't get a good view on what he was doing though, or how a surgery allows someone to become a beastman.

KamenRiderAmazon_ep01_01_zps4fa8oh1x.jpg

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

Pluto

the koreans are doing right by power rangers. america is fucking up

....is there a reason they skipped toQ and ninnin?
They didn't, ToQger aired as Power Rangers Train Force and Ninninger as Power Rangers Ninja Force in 2015 amd 2016 respectively. They paid Toei to do Dino Force Brave as an original sequel because Kyoryuger (aka Power Rangers Dino Force) was incredibly popular over there and they aqueezed it in this year before returning to adaptations.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
They didn't, ToQger aired as Power Rangers Train Force and Ninninger as Power Rangers Ninja Force in 2015 amd 2016 respectively. They paid Toei to do Dino Force Brave as an original sequel because Kyoryuger (aka Power Rangers Dino Force) was incredibly popular over there and they aqueezed it in this year before returning to adaptations.

ahh. a little odd, but i get it. wish saban would do the same with gobusters as a rpm sequel

Big One

Banned
is Gaim considered a biological or tech rider?
Tech. The rider portion isn't the alien fruit, it's the belt made by Ryoma. The extensions made by Sagata are also tech.

Most of the Hesei riders are pretty much tech riders to be honest. Even Wizard kind of is in a weird way. Primarily cause his rider form was made by Wiseman's science.

Tiu Neo

The old Inca man is actually shown cutting him up, so it wasn't just a magical ritual. Obviously we don't get a good view on what he was doing though, or how a surgery allows someone to become a beastman.

I just thought it was more of an ritualistic thing back when I watched it, like implanting the bracelet/belt on him and then doing some ancient ritual or something like that, but still surgery, yeah.

Well, Amazon is just a weird series.

https://twitter.com/Evilspacewhale/status/870867774310100992

Guess this is the handoff from Korean Kyoryuger sequel to Zyuohger

This is so cool.

Toxi

Banned
How the hell did people enjoy Blade back when TV-Nihon were the only people who subbed it? I'm so happy I didn't watch it back when I first started with Kamen Rider.

King form is still hype as fuck.
Indeed it is. I'm reaching the home stretch of the show and it's awesome overall.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
As goofy as they looked the moon and sun forms were great\hilarious this week on Kyuranger.

Also we need the exaid ultimate form asap cause I just can't with Maximum Mighty X

Tiu Neo

Amazons 2 - 9

Jin is batshit crazy. Well, it's understandable, I guess.

Didn't expect that mid-episode twist. It was gory. Some pretty big deaths too.
Tachibana and Kanou death, as is most of the new team. And Chihiro is the Man-Spider of Amazons, huh.

Well, it's ok, I guess, since
Haruka's mom is back with all the intel. I wonder what she'll do with it, and how much it's her fault.

And then, that final fight.
Shido is probably a goner
. And finally Amazon New Omega.

Everyone will probably be dead by the seasons end, huh. So, what we have to expect?

Chihiro and Jin? vs Iyu and maybe Haruka vs Mamoru and... that thing That if the thing isn't actually a mutated Nanaha or something.

Toxi

Banned
I love the originality of Maximum Mighty X. Even if the execution could be better (All the CGI looks awkward), it's pretty fun seeing a big bulky suit fight.

It's not as good as Kachidoki Arms, but it's also way better than the likes of Grateful Damashii or Type Formula.

vareon

As with mostly every Rider in Ex-Aid, it just looks much better in concept/fan arts. The suit just isn't there yet, resulting in awkward battles (though it's fun to see in the first times).

WillyFive

I hate how power-ups look these past seven or so years. It's like they only tried to make the base form look good, and just left the other forms to Bandai to make as toyetic as possible.

jwk94

Ex Aid 34

I know these guys were freezing during that talk about Hiro's motivations.

Also, how do they see in all that rain?

https://twitter.com/Evilspacewhale/status/870867774310100992

Guess this is the handoff from Korean Kyoryuger sequel to Zyuohger

Pretty cool they got Yamato there to mouth some Korean it looks like

And it's nice to get a glimpse of Sakamoto directing this roll call lol. It's all low angle shots
Damn, that was cool. That was actually a better handoff than even Sentai gets. Meanwhile in the US, we're getting fart jokes!

ahh. a little odd, but i get it. wish saban would do the same with gobusters as a rpm sequel

We're not worthy.

Toxi

Banned
The end of Kamen Rider Blade was just... Damn.

I was expecting Kenzaki to become an undead, seal Hajime, and then win the battle royale and save the world instead of destroying it through some contrivance. I'm glad they instead went with Kenzaki making an extra personal sacrifice to allow Hajime to be happy.

Slayven

I hate the trend in kamen rider the last few years where the main rider gets the finale weapon with his stopgap form. Is toei just being cheap?

yami4ct

I hate the trend in kamen rider the last few years where the main rider gets the finale weapon with his stopgap form. Is toei just being cheap?

Maybe it has something to do with scheduling a larger package like a role play toy and getting it on shelf? I don't actually know. Honestly, if they were just being cheap I would more expect them to poach a weapon from one of the initial forms and save the hype for the final rather then the final losing some of its luster through reuse. Initial and Final forms always seem to be the best sellers. Maybe it's some way to try and get more sales on the lesser bought midseason upgrade.

It could also have to do with the 'midseason form transforms into the final form' gimmick that's been used a few times. I know Gaim uses it and it sure seems like Ex-Aid will. Not sure if Wizard or Ghost do as I skipped both.

Slayven

Maybe it has something to do with scheduling a larger package like a role play toy and getting it on shelf? I don't actually know. Honestly, if they were just being cheap I would more expect them to poach a weapon from one of the initial forms and save the hype for the final rather then the final losing some of its luster through reuse. Initial and Final forms always seem to be the best sellers. Maybe it's some way to try and get more sales on the lesser bought midseason upgrade.

It could also have to do with the 'midseason form transforms into the final form' gimmick that's been used a few times. I know Gaim uses it and it sure seems like Ex-Aid will. Not sure if Wizard or Ghost do as I skipped both.

The final forms also just been bleh. Gaim was great from a story standpoint cause what it meant(
pretty much shedding his humanity
). The last final forum that actually was exciting was Wizard's infinity.

Top Bottom