• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo New World Record: Operation Abyss - |OT| The abyss will gaze back into you.

CrovaxPSO

Can you take a SS of the message? Also whats the number at? Since Im pretty sure that there is a max stats number.

Already went ahead and put the point in agility so I can't see the message again now until I level again. VIT is at 43 at level 31.

Edit: Actually, give me a second, I'll save and then just buy the next level and take a screenshot.

The bit covered by the logo watermark just says できません。

zBh9vjO.jpg

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Already went ahead and put the point in agility so I can't see the message again now until I level again. VIT is at 43 at level 31.

Edit: Actually, give me a second, I'll save and then just buy the next level and take a screenshot.

The bit covered by the logo watermark just says できません。

zBh9vjO.jpg

Pretty much its looking like you hit the max for it. Im trying to find info if anyone has what the max numbers are too.

Also interesting the Vit status is what helps prevent the insta death effect.

Luck helps raise the damage for the element-less spells. The ones the scholar uses for example.

---

AH! Got it. The max number is what the base stats are for said class + 20. That is what the max stats limit is per class. So just think whatever your starting stats are (before putting points in) then add a +20 to everything and that will be your max number for all stats.

CrovaxPSO

Pretty much its looking like you hit the max for it. Im trying to find info if anyone has what the max numbers are too.

Also interesting the Vit status is what helps prevent the insta death effect.

Luck helps raise the damage for the element-less spells. The ones the scholar uses for example.

---

AH! Got it. The max number is what the base stats are for said class + 20. That is what the max stats limit is per class. So just think whatever your starting stats are (before putting points in) then add a +20 to everything and that will be your max number for all stats.

Ahh, got it, thanks. Probably close to the max for my other classes as well, so I'll probably start pumping some VIT on everyone to prevent that instant death annoyance.

I'm liking samurai so far, already pretty fast and doing acceptable damage even before lv20. I'm kind of curious how the archer's damage would be if I didn't put almost all the points in the wrong stat (´Д`)

Parakeetman

Ahh, got it, thanks. Probably close to the max for my other classes as well, so I'll probably start pumping some VIT on everyone to prevent that instant death annoyance.

I'm liking samurai so far, already pretty fast and doing acceptable damage even before lv20. I'm kind of curious how the archer's damage would be if I didn't put almost all the points in the wrong stat (´Д`)

Id imagine it would be pretty insane with damage since Exp Inc does seem to like archers for some reason. Its the most apparent in SoSC as the archer seriously does obscene damage.

CrovaxPSO

Id imagine it would be pretty insane with damage since Exp Inc does seem to like archers for some reason. Its the most apparent in SoSC as the archer seriously does obscene damage.

Yeah, I think it would be pretty crazy since the damage was about the same as my fighter, even though I probably had 35+ points in agility that should have been in strength. I seriously have no idea why I thought it was agility, might have been old World of Warcraft memories or something.

Parakeetman

Yeah, I think it would be pretty crazy since the damage was about the same as my fighter, even though I probably had 35+ points in agility that should have been in strength. I seriously have no idea why I thought it was agility, might have been old World of Warcraft memories or something.

I think some Wiz games it was something along the lines that Agi was damage for ranged characters. But I cant remember which ones. Since Im always stressed out about that as each game has its own system for what stats are for what class etc.

CrovaxPSO

I think some Wiz games it was something along the lines that Agi was damage for ranged characters. But I cant remember which ones. Since Im always stressed out about that as each game has its own system for what stats are for what class etc.

I always kind of just assume what each stat does based on previous games I've played, usually works out but not in this case, haha. I was going to start with samurai in Cross Blood later this month but now I think I'll do archer again except put points in the right stat this time.

Parakeetman

I always kind of just assume what each stat does based on previous games I've played, usually works out but not in this case, haha. I was going to start with samurai in Cross Blood later this month but now I think I'll do archer again except put points in the right stat this time.

At least you have a super fast character now for item usage and whatnots. lol

The summoner looks a bit complicated to use... Ill mess around with it in a bit maybe, since I have one made already. Though not enough $$$ to buy some better class specific gear for her.

One thing that makes the game hard too for the knight is that Aegis cant protect the party from the various all party attacks that as mentioned before are way too present. D: Which is why I kinda gave up with the skill for the time being and just have her dealing out extra damage at the moment. Its too bad the game doesnt actually have a taunt command since would have been appreciated.

When you play SoSC you will so appreciate the knight class so much more as it actually works lol. truthfully without one Id hate to see how some fights go...

Dorarnae

but samurai/assasin is so good post game in cross blood hehe.
wizard/healer is just insane, can cast open pandora every turn :S

archer are quite good, I just don't know which other class goes well with them, scolar?

once you beat the main story you'll have access to SIZ,Ilith and RAS.

Parakeetman

but samurai/assasin is so good post game in cross blood hehe.
wizard/healer is just insane, can cast open pandora every turn :S

archer are quite good, I just don't know which other class goes well with them, scolar?

once you beat the main story you'll have access to SIZ,Ilith and RAS.

In SoSC I have my archer combined with the trickster that allows for me to do multiple attacks on a single target. Its sort of the same thing that can be done if you use the warriors rush skill too.

man I really wish this game had the sub blood system.

One thing I need to stop doing is using the hachi lv up item since im making things harder for myself in the 2nd half of the game constantly running around with a full gauge + that item which adds another +5 levels on top of that lol.

the 燃え尽き effect is killing my bank account. D: Almost every time I run into that wanted enemy in the hospital at least 1 character gets stuck with it...

CrovaxPSO

Only a few more trophies to go. The very last sub-quest, 3000 battles, 300k GP, and the plug-ins. Seems weird that I don't have the one for 300k GP yet. I managed to get through the boss from the last main quest and second to last sub-quest with the samurai only at level 23. I did give her the level passcode item though.

The (mini?) boss on C24 is a pain, keeps sucking in my knight and then wrecking someone else. Farming here is getting me some fast exp and nice items though.

Edit: Okay, seems like the trophy is for gathering 300k GP in a single outing.

CrovaxPSO

Beat the last boss and got all the other trophies except for 3000 battles. No idea how far away I am, so I'll probably just grind some for a little while every couple hours until I get it. Not sure how high I'll try to level up my party, might just do easy battles to reach 3000.

Parakeetman

man i died due to having the hachi level up item on during a story event since couldnt unequip it during said event lost a couple of hours thanks to that Σ(T▽T;)

was the escape scene from the hq after getting code broken by alice. the hachi lv up item makes the enemies lv 12 lol so couldnt damage them enough to kill em and died

Dorarnae

man i died due to having the hachi level up item on during a story event since couldnt unequip it during said event lost a couple of hours thanks to that Σ(T▽T;)

was the escape scene from the hq after getting code broken by alice. the hachi lv up item makes the enemies lv 12 lol so couldnt damage them enough to kill em and died

lol nice

Dorarnae

Beat the last boss and got all the other trophies except for 3000 battles. No idea how far away I am, so I'll probably just grind some for a little while every couple hours until I get it. Not sure how high I'll try to level up my party, might just do easy battles to reach 3000.

that's what I did. went to the sewers (the one that lead to TPF kingdom) and farmed the drill and other monster. or you could always farm babel for some babel key to redo the boss a couple time...

CrovaxPSO

That's pretty funny. I had a couple close calls at that part when they all ganged up on a single party member.

that's what I did. went to the sewers (the one that lead to TPF kingdom) and farmed the drill and other monster. or you could always farm babel for some babel key to redo the boss a couple time...

I'll probably do the sewers for a while since I just spent all day grinding up to level 40 on the last floor where the boss is. Those dragons are no problem now but they still take too long to try and grind out a bunch of battles with.

Also, of course while I was grinding there, I found a ton of rare archer items and now nothing for the new samurai.

Parakeetman

That's pretty funny. I had a couple close calls at that part when they all ganged up on a single party member.

I'll probably do the sewers for a while since I just spent all day grinding up to level 40 on the last floor where the boss is. Those dragons are no problem now but they still take too long to try and grind out a bunch of battles with.

Also, of course while I was grinding there, I found a ton of rare archer items and now nothing for the new samurai.

yeah its kinda weird rare samurai gear is pretty rare (´・ω・`)

Dorarnae

oh once I had enough gear, I just farmed the first floor of babel for keys. easy kill and you can get some keys.

Dorarnae

btw do we have a dungeon crawler/wizardry thread or something?

I just finished the other wizardry ''renaissance'' on ds, and now I kind of know why people hate those 2 games on ds.

Parakeetman

I just finished the other wizardry ''renaissance'' on ds, and now I kind of know why people hate those 2 games on ds.

not yet will make one after crossblood infinity ultimate and pc stranger comes out

Parakeetman

you know i wonder how they will translate connor sensei if they localize the game lol. hilarious stuff the guy says

CrovaxPSO

Since I never really played any of the older Wizardry games, I've been thinking of buying a copy of Tale of the Forsaken Land to get a feel for it, and then I can be more comfortable playing some of the older imports. Might hold off for a while though since there's quite a bit left this year coming out. Already made my new party in Cross Blood for later this month.

Parakeetman

Since I never really played any of the older Wizardry games, I've been thinking of buying a copy of Tale of the Forsaken Land to get a feel for it, and then I can be more comfortable playing some of the older imports. Might hold off for a while though since there's quite a bit left this year coming out. Already made my new party in Cross Blood for later this month.

that game is insanely good. seriously am sure you will enjoy it

Dorarnae

that game is insanely good. seriously am sure you will enjoy it

tale of forsaken land and the sequel are good, combat is a bit slow but other than that it's good. if you're careful in what you do, the game is not too hard/frustrating.

the original serie is brutal though, 4 in particular.

CrovaxPSO

Still working on 3000 battles, I think I have probably the fastest way to grind it out. In the top floor of the sewers using just samurai and scholar for enchain, going in and out of this door gives a battle every single time. So no running around waiting for battles, ignoring the code chips, and lowering gauge when I start to get too main chain encounters.

Fhoenix

Still working on 3000 battles, I think I have probably the fastest way to grind it out. In the top floor of the sewers using just samurai and scholar for enchain, going in and out of this door gives a battle every single time. So no running around waiting for battles, ignoring the code chips, and lowering gauge when I start to get too main chain encounters.

I just 'love' when a game gives you trophies to grind battles/gold for no reason, after you've finished everything. Who even comes up with this stuff? "Hey, let's make our game longer by ten hours by making the player run around in circles and fight enemies".

Thinking of getting either this or Demon Gaze. Which did you like more, honorable posters?

CrovaxPSO

I just 'love' when a game gives you trophies to grind battles/gold for no reason, after you've finished everything. Who even comes up with this stuff? "Hey, let's make our game longer by ten hours by making the player run around in circles and fight enemies".

Thinking of getting either this or Demon Gaze. Which did you like more, honorable posters?

I would say it depends on both your previous experience with dungeon crawlers and your level of Japanese reading ability. Demon Gaze is an easier and more modern game, and it's available in English. Operation Abyss is based on a PS2 game, and so it has older and more complicated mechanics, but also has a higher amount of customization in terms of equipment and stat allocation. A lot of the Japanese for important things like spells and skills is katakana, so even just knowing that is very helpful for not getting lost in menus. There's a wiki for other things.

I personally enjoyed Operation Abyss quite a bit more than Demon Gaze. Although, that's probably because I played Demon Gaze first and had a general idea of how an Experience DRPG plays.

And as for the 3000 battles trophy, yeah, it's a bit out of place compared to the other ones. Every other one can either be obtained by playing through the game and post-game normally, doing a few side things, or by doing a little bit of grinding.

Parakeetman

I would say it depends on both your previous experience with dungeon crawlers and your level of Japanese reading ability. Demon Gaze is an easier and more modern game, and it's available in English. Operation Abyss is based on a PS2 game, and so it has older and more complicated mechanics, but also has a higher amount of customization in terms of equipment and stat allocation. A lot of the Japanese for important things like spells and skills is katakana, so even just knowing that is very helpful for not getting lost in menus. There's a wiki for other things.

I personally enjoyed Operation Abyss quite a bit more than Demon Gaze. Although, that's probably because I played Demon Gaze first and had a general idea of how an Experience DRPG plays.

And as for the 3000 battles trophy, yeah, it's a bit out of place compared to the other ones. Every other one can either be obtained by playing through the game and post-game normally, doing a few side things, or by doing a little bit of grinding.

it depends on if you want a more challenging experience or not. since if so this game is the one to get over demon gaze. though if you want something a little more modern looking with a bit more story interaction that would be demon gaze.

in regards to loot most def this game outclasses demongaze

when i get home from work ill give you a longer breakdown.

Parakeetman

Got the platinum, just about 60 hours and ~14,000 enemy kills. Ready for Cross Blood!

2GafURc.jpg

nice congrats! im still slowly making my way through the game hardly any time to play due to scheduling (´・ω・`)

this weekend ill have to try to put together what meager resources i have for the crossblood infinity ultimate ot

CrovaxPSO

nice congrats! im still slowly making my way through the game hardly any time to play due to scheduling (´・ω・`)

this weekend ill have to try to put together what meager resources i have for the crossblood infinity ultimate ot

That's a bummer. I'd offer to help out with OT stuff but I'm not really sure what all I could do. Let me know if you can think of anything!

I'm thinking of trying out Infinity Mode for Cross Blood Infinity but not sure which class I would drop. Seems like wizard, scholar, and healer are all almost necessary. And go with just a knight and samurai in the front row. I guess scholar can be dropped but then might have trouble with traps.

Parakeetman

well fuck, since the internet version of gaf is down cant write out longer replies. so will have to wait till tomorrow as site is still screwed.

Fhoenix

Previous experience: Strange Journey and Persona Q.
My level is enough to allow me playing no problem. I am still struggling with reading novels) Dual language is nice in principle, but I am going to play in Japanese anyway. Practice!

Congrats on the platinum!

it depends on if you want a more challenging experience or not. since if so this game is the one to get over demon gaze. though if you want something a little more modern looking with a bit more story interaction that would be demon gaze.
More story is good and I like that it has a protagonist in the party. But I also heard that the plot is silly and there is a lot of fanservice. Which makes me wonder if I will even care for the story. Naked girls rarely improve the quality of writing in my experience...

Saw this trailer in Yodobashi today
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ny6GC98A5A
Those colors look so nice on a big TV. Like daaaamn.

Parakeetman

Previous experience: Strange Journey and Persona Q.
My level is enough to allow me playing no problem. I am still struggling with reading novels) Dual language is nice in principle, but I am going to play in Japanese anyway. Practice!

Congrats on the platinum!

More story is good and I like that it has a protagonist in the party. But I also heard that the plot is silly and there is a lot of fanservice. Which makes me wonder if I will even care for the story. Naked girls rarely improve the quality of writing in my experience...

Saw this trailer in Yodobashi today
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ny6GC98A5A
Those colors look so nice on a big TV. Like daaaamn.

I wouldnt say that there is a lot of fanservice as thats more the moero chronicle games or Dungeon Travelers series. Fanservice does exist though, just not to the levels that you might be imagining.

One thing for sure is that Demon Gaze has a lot stronger characters in terms of their writing.

But Abyss has it beat gameplay wise and customizability.

The downside with Abyss would be the story as its based off of their first PC game series Generation Xth which is based off of the PS2 series Wizardry Xth, before that company Michaelsoft was disbanded. This game since its a "remake" of the original first two titles, it follows stuff pretty closely.

For a stronger dungeon crawler and if that is the experience that you desire do suggest getting Operation Abyss over Demon Gaze. Then if you like the series you can continue on with Cross Blood Infinity Ultimate later this month. Though the artwork wont be the same artwork as Operation Abyss and will use the original game art.

CrovaxPSO

I wouldnt say that there is a lot of fanservice as thats more the moero chronicle games or Dungeon Travelers series. Fanservice does exist though, just not to the levels that you might be imagining.

One thing for sure is that Demon Gaze has a lot stronger characters in terms of their writing.

But Abyss has it beat gameplay wise and customizability.

The downside with Abyss would be the story as its based off of their first PC game series Generation Xth which is based off of the PS2 series Wizardry Xth, before that company Michaelsoft was disbanded. This game since its a "remake" of the original first two titles, it follows stuff pretty closely.

For a stronger dungeon crawler and if that is the experience that you desire do suggest getting Operation Abyss over Demon Gaze. Then if you like the series you can continue on with Cross Blood Infinity Ultimate later this month. Though the artwork wont be the same artwork as Operation Abyss and will use the original game art.

I think I actually prefer some of the character artwork from Cross Blood compared to the new art in Operation Abyss. It has a more stand-out look to it. In particular I think the older style for Noriko and Mao is a lot better.

Parakeetman

I think I actually prefer some of the character artwork from Cross Blood compared to the new art in Operation Abyss. It has a more stand-out look to it. In particular I think the older style for Noriko and Mao is a lot better.

i do like what they did to kyokos character though seems to fit her better but still am wtf with what happened to hachi lol

Dorarnae

yeah I prefered the old Noriko too. Alice in cross blood is different than the original game, but she looked good in cross blood, she doesn't talk much though.

Parakeetman

What are the chances of seeing this in the West?

Id say its still an unknown currently. Though one reason for NISA to pick it up is trying to play off of the popularity of Demon Gaze as its the same art team involved. Though the story / gameplay mechanics are much different in overall design. So those expecting the same type of experience might be disappointed.

The unknown factor is since 5pm and Mages is involved with the publishing in Japan how if at all it would effect the rights for localization in the West with talks and such.

That and what I do know and this is real not talking out of the ass information is that there are multiple companies going after Stranger of Sword City which means if NISA is part of that could mean that they are skipping Operation Abyss for now. As I cant imagine them trying to secure the rights for 2 separate games at once.

Overall we will just have to wait and see for any sort of announcements really. I would imagine if anything its after all the game shows are over that they might consider saying anything if there is something. Otherwise the announcement would just get lost in a sea of gameshow related news and such.

CrovaxPSO

Id say its still an unknown currently. Though one reason for NISA to pick it up is trying to play off of the popularity of Demon Gaze as its the same art team involved. Though the story / gameplay mechanics are much different in overall design. So those expecting the same type of experience might be disappointed.

The unknown factor is since 5pm and Mages is involved with the publishing in Japan how if at all it would effect the rights for localization in the West with talks and such.

That and what I do know and this is real not talking out of the ass information is that there are multiple companies going after Stranger of Sword City which means if NISA is part of that could mean that they are skipping Operation Abyss for now. As I cant imagine them trying to secure the rights for 2 separate games at once.

Overall we will just have to wait and see for any sort of announcements really. I would imagine if anything its after all the game shows are over that they might consider saying anything if there is something. Otherwise the announcement would just get lost in a sea of gameshow related news and such.

Stranger is self-published by Experience in Japan right? That would probably make it much easier to license. I don't think 5pb would necessarily make things harder, since Steins;Gate was licensed and that's a popular property.

Parakeetman

Stranger is self-published by Experience in Japan right? That would probably make it much easier to license. I don't think 5pb would necessarily make things harder, since Steins;Gate was licensed and that's a popular property.

yeah stranger is self published, though they had mentioned 5pb would be doing the digital ver of the pc game in japan will have to see if thats the case

That's a bummer. I'd offer to help out with OT stuff but I'm not really sure what all I could do. Let me know if you can think of anything!

I'm thinking of trying out Infinity Mode for Cross Blood Infinity but not sure which class I would drop. Seems like wizard, scholar, and healer are all almost necessary. And go with just a knight and samurai in the front row. I guess scholar can be dropped but then might have trouble with traps.

The scholar is great for finding more items too near end game with the salvage code.

Also in regards to the OT pretty much the only thing I always am short on due to time is info with translating things if I want to use more detailed information. Then again these days with how folks dont read shit it really has me thinking even less I need to actually attempt to translate anything since people dont read shit anyways as stated at the start of this sentence lol. The FAQ sections seem to work.

Dorarnae

yeah stranger is self published, though they had mentioned 5pb would be doing the digital ver of the pc game in japan will have to see if thats the case

The scholar is great for finding more items too near end game with the salvage code.

Also in regards to the OT pretty much the only thing I always am short on due to time is info with translating things if I want to use more detailed information. Then again these days with how folks dont read shit it really has me thinking even less I need to actually attempt to translate anything since people dont read shit anyways as stated at the start of this sentence lol. The FAQ sections seem to work.

I personally prefer ILITH post game than the scolar, bit longer to lvl, but once you have all the psy spell you can disarm and identify no prob.

CrovaxPSO

I personally prefer ILITH post game than the scolar, bit longer to lvl, but once you have all the psy spell you can disarm and identify no prob.

I saw in some of your videos for Cross Blood Infinity that you played with infinity mode, what 5 classes did you use for the main game?

I'm already going through withdrawals waiting to start, thought about buying Etrian Odyssey IV or Untold, never played one of those before either.

Parakeetman

I saw in some of your videos for Cross Blood Infinity that you played with infinity mode, what 5 classes did you use for the main game?

I'm already going through withdrawals waiting to start, thought about buying Etrian Odyssey IV or Untold, never played one of those before either.

eo3 is still a personal favorite since you can do some broken ass shit with the subjob system lol

classes were far more amusing than 4 too. 4 felt like a step backwards to me gameplay wise as it went a bit too orthadox.

Top Bottom