• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands |OT| Squad Goals

The main issue is without a 4-man squad, or maybe even with a 4-man squad, you run the risk of not 'rolling' everything needed.

Oh. Absolutely. This is for four people that want to do it.

I thought the Super Shorty Shotty was just for looks, since it's tiny and doesn't really show up on your character? I don't see why it couldn't be used in a pinch though, it's not super useful... usually..

It's small, it's light, it's not particularly useful, so it is still a limitation while having a secondary you can equip.

Getting a shotgun main isn't exactly conducive to how this game plays either. The need for a 'Breecher' isn't really there with the way the map is setup.

The breacher would be an AR main, just with a decent shotgun as a secondary weapon. Shotguns really are only useful in the radio station missions where you also need C4, hence why they're together.

I think the randomized loadouts would have to include a drone operator and a breacher, since demolitions and reconnaissance or crucial to so many missions— with the other two being chosen from the remaining roles (including two generic assaulters).

I think the randomized loadouts would have to include a drone operator and a breacher, since demolitions and reconnaissance or crucial to so many missions— with the other two being chosen from the remaining roles (including two generic assaulters).

Yeah, finding a way to make sure all the needed bases are covered while also adhering to the "totally random" scenario would be a little tougher.

I feel like if everyone wants to do totally random, then there should be the opportunity for a squad to be missing certain items (no C4, no Drone, no Sniper/LMG, etc). Maybe you end up with 4 AR guys? Part of the challenge could be making missions work while also randomly (purposefully) handicapping the squad. Everyone gets grenades, so you could still knock down doors if needed. Vehicles/etc will still succumb to focused fire.

It would also be fun for everyone to be required to get their main weapons off enemies. You could start everyone with a pistol, or say no weapons, and you have to melee someone to get their gun.

If you don't want to get that crazy, just doing 'role' assignment would also be fun, either rolling for them or letting people pick. Maybe roll within the role? So you get AR/Grenadier.. then there is a roll to see which AR you get, instead of just picking your favorite. Same with Sniper.. so maybe you don't get to use the HTI or MSR.

It would also be good if you could build in 'tiers' of complicatedness as well.. so you could do a 'lite' version where it's just basic rolls and everyone gets to pick what they want, and what they want to use, a more in-depth version where you have to roll for your guns, and maybe a super in depth version where all the equipment is doled out, no respawns, everyone matches camo, etc. If you could come up with a sliding scale, it would allow the system to be used by more groups, more often, instead of a single rigid policy maybe?

Some things just don't work well due to the way the game is setup. Getting thermal instead of NV still means you need to cycle through NV to get to thermal (or vice versa), and while yes, you CAN, it's messy. I'd prefer 'advanced vision modes' or something be included as NV+thermal. Separating the different items is easier, since you can cycle through the modes without committing to them, though I wish you could disable them.

Something else to consider if not every player has unlocked everything (yet) so people will be on different levels with regards to VHC damage/etc.

I don't know I'm just spitballing. It would be nice if the game let you do this as part of the game, but I'm down for trying new things to extend the life of the game until DLC and/or PvP comes out. Executing a mission like a well oiled up men's gymnastics team is amazing.

They really should add rappelling ropes. Imagine the fun you could have with helicopters, rooftops, rock formations......

The helo's even have a spot on them for a rope to attach! Maybe DLC will have it? Would be perfect for those quick entry/extract missions.

They really should add rappelling ropes. Imagine the fun you could have with helicopters, rooftops, rock formations......
Helicopter quick-ropes and especially some kind of rappelling gear would be a godsend. The climbing is way too finicky and inconsistent. Sometimes you can jump up to some 10 foot handholds and other times you'll be stuck on some knee-high rocks and never get the climb prompt.

Fistwell

Been warming up to the game. Started out hating it, felt janky as hell. Also I started out on "realistic" or whatever (unsure why, no recollection of selecting it), and had to ace any engagement or get my face mercilessly bashed in. Brought difficulty down a notch, got some upgrades in me, picked up sniping, and now I'm having fun. Messing around the map, hunting for guns and mods, assaulting random strongholds. It's relaxing dumb fun.

Been warming up to the game. Started out hating it, felt janky as hell. Also I started out on "realistic" or whatever (unsure why, no recollection of selecting it), and had to ace any engagement or get my face mercilessly bashed in. Brought difficulty down a notch, got some upgrades in me, picked up sniping, and now I'm having fun. Messing around the map, hunting for guns and mods, assaulting random strongholds. It's relaxing dumb fun.

Yeah, I find the "Advanced" or whatever preset, the 2nd hardest, to work best for me for roaming around and trying to complete the game in a somewhat reasonable amount of time.

Now that I got everything I think I'll bump it up and remove more of the helpers and see how I fair.. there are some great moments to be had in this game, single player or co-op.

Just be careful when you ask for a helicopter..

MYZcPfw.gif

Well, after a few days of playing this, I like it for the most part.

I wish there were more hidden things or secrets, etc.

My 3 closest friends also got it on the same day and we are not good together lol. Nobody warns each other when they're about to start firing. In 10 seconds the block is hot every time. These guys just wanna Rambo all in like they're playing COD and it's annoying to me. Plus we're all at different stages and it's hard when we join up and this guy or that guy wants to catch up and do things some of us have already done and whatever.

Maybe I'm best off setting my profile to "appear offline" lol.

legbone

Well, after a few days of playing this, I like it for the most part.

I wish there were more hidden things or secrets, etc.

My 3 closest friends also got it on the same day and we are not good together lol. Nobody warns each other when they're about to start firing. In 10 seconds the block is hot every time. These guys just wanna Rambo all in like they're playing COD and it's annoying to me. Plus we're all at different stages and it's hard when we join up and this guy or that guy wants to catch up and do things some of us have already done and whatever.

Maybe I'm best off setting my profile to "appear offline" lol.

Do it. I had to. I prefer staying undetected as long as possible. My friend who got the game at launch to play together likes to go in guns blazing. I like to try strategies, figure out the best entry point, mark all enemies, etc. He's like "fuck it!" Braaaap! Braaaap! Man down, man down! Help me bro! I set it to invite only. At first he was pissed. Then he started playing with randoms and now says they are "more fun" than playing with me. I'm boring. I told him I'm glad he's having a good time and secretly gave zero fucks.

Freeman76

Quite a way in now, the mission structure is getting monotonous but the game is still a lot of fun, the mechanics are spot on.

The main thing that irritates me is how much of a carbon copy of hitman the female narrator can be lol

joecanada

So I just started this game and paid full price, can't complain as a friend wanted me to buy and play with him, can't really bitch when a friend is playing with you but I do have to say I normally wouldn't pay full price for any game especially not a check box open world like this one.....

can someone tell me how this will be different than far cry? I've played a few hours and other than some subtle differences it feels exactly the same.... complete with rebels storming in. the alerts are similar , the stealth is similar, the unlocks are similar , the guns are similar, the map is similar , the quests are similar...... and as far as I can tell, sitting back on a hill with a sniper rifle is easy mode same as far cry.

still the game will be some good mindless fun with friends...... same as far cry lol.

Quite a way in now, the mission structure is getting monotonous but the game is still a lot of fun, the mechanics are spot on.

The main thing that irritates me is how much of a carbon copy of hitman the female narrator can be lol

So I decided to start a 2nd character, and decided to make a Lady Ghost.

The voice actor is driving me crazy, I mean, the writing for the little quips isn't great to begin with (especially after hearing it over and over), but I feel like the female voice over is just really phoning it in (compared to the male voice over).

I made a little clip.

Most of the rest of the dialog isn't any better. Does anyone know if the voice changes based off the head you picked (for male or female)?

So I decided to start a 2nd character, and decided to make a Lady Ghost.

The voice actor is driving me crazy, I mean, the writing for the little quips isn't great to begin with (especially after hearing it over and over), but I feel like the female voice over is just really phoning it in (compared to the male voice over).

I made a little clip.

Most of the rest of the dialog isn't any better. Does anyone know if the voice changes based off the head you picked (for male or female)?

Jesus christ, that's fucking terrible! LOL

Seriously man, switch to Spanish VA. Solves all the game's dialog/tone problems.... like, it really does
I completely forgot how botched the english was honestly until just now

SJRB

Gold Member
Yeah I tried the second beta using a female character but I really, really disliked the voice acting of the character.

I can confirm that the latin VA is incredible and totally gives a natural feel to the game, would totally recommend

I was getting tired of the shitballs anyways

Yeah, so much of the douchey jokes between AI Teammates are outright removed with the latin VA
Instead, the conversations that do happen are more in-line with the bleak/black tone of the situation

Kudos to Ubisoft's deep pockets and international approach for giving an option that honestly saves the game, for me at least :)

luulubuu

Yeah, so much of the douchey jokes between AI Teammates are outright removed with the latin VA
Instead, the conversations that do happen are more in-line with the bleak/black tone of the situation

Kudos to Ubisoft's deep pockets and international approach for giving an option that honestly saves the game, for me at least :)

I'm really tired of fly over a coca field and get the "For the altitude" joke every damn time.

I mean, there's a turn off the radio button, why not turn off the squad button?

I have been talking about VA in games, and maybe not Wildlands related, but Reaper Latin VA is fucking fantastic and they should add an option to play each hero with the VA of preference

I've played the entire game with a female ghost. Switching over to voice acting to Spanish (Latin) was the best decision I have ever made. I don't speak a lick of Spanish so when I don't even notice the repeated phrases and I stopped noticing the repeating dialog. When I hit a new story beat I just read the subtitles.

Well, it is April. Very curious to what this first slew of content is going to look like and if we are going to get a meaty patch along side it.

Peroroncino

Welp, I just got a platinum trophy, so bring on the PvP, I'm ready.

For anybody wondering, if you have 9/10 kingslayer files in Media Luna, it's a glitch, but trophy will pop anyway [at least on ps4] - still kind of annoying because I have 17 out of 18 files for Agent Sandoval, I'm kind of curious now what it was.

btw. As for the ending, the game surprised me a little, it's nice that the
intro to the game is basically a prelude to the last mission, Sueno walking with Pac Katari's head, neat. I was also surprised to see that they made 2 endings, though the one with Bowman taking the blame was really bad, because seriously, who gives a shit about Bowman and what happens to her? When she quoted Augustus Octavius I rolled my eyes HARD. I think it would be better if our character killed Sueqno and faced those repercussions.
While the story is sparse, I enojyed it for what it was, if they ever make a sequel I hope that the story will be more focused and streamlined though.

I was playing last night (with the Female Ghost) and my friend also had a female Ghost, but created her with a difference base-face and had a different voice. Do each of the preset heads (for male/female) have different voices? I never thought to try, but it might make sense.

The other voice wasn't noticeably better, but was different. The one I picked is still really cringe-worthy. She can, however, base jump like a pro!

fVnc6e5.gif

Regarding the Spanish voice over.. I don't know. I watched the video, it seemed ok. I still feel like the Ghosts would talk to each other in English, but they should be talking to everyone else in Spanish. Why would they interrogate random Bolivian/Mexican Siccario #7 in English?

I could see it making sense if you did a play through where you didn't dress in military camo/etc.. basically a "Remember.. no English.." kind of mission. Could be fun for a co-op play through.

I was playing last night (with the Female Ghost) and my friend also had a female Ghost, but created her with a difference base-face and had a different voice. Do each of the preset heads (for male/female) have different voices? I never thought to try, but it might make sense.

I think there's a "Nomad" voice, male and female, which is always how your character sounds. If someone else in your squad has a female character then they get the not-Nomad voice. I don't know if each non-Nomad has an alternate female VA or not .

This is my impression from playing in the same room with my partner and I each playing a female Ghost.

Certainly my male Nomad has the same voice as other male Nomads on YT despite different face choices.

Looking at people on my friends list I think I'm playing this game differently then most. Averge time alive ranges from 13-19 minutes,.I'm around 29. I am someone who will wait 5 min on a shot so I can take out the maximum amount of guards without setting of the alarms.

Also I may have walked in on something private........

xPm5ahX.gif

Ha!

Yeah, most of my deaths occur in co-op, when things go horribly wrong. I'm at 17m/40s, but I imagine it's much longer than that when I'm playing alone/single-player. I think it also got shorter the further along I got in the game because I just wanted to get 'X' accomplished the move on and finish everything.

Also.. I found how the Cartel works out.

Playing through my 2nd character now, experimenting with no HUD, or minimal HUD and markers turned off.. I can't find a good balance.

No markers: Having no markers on is hard for engagements, but do-able, but you can't find ANYTHING in the world without a lot of struggle. Since you can't see Waypoints, it's hard to get from point A to point B without constantly opening the map. Since I'm going for a no HUD look, I have the minimap turned off, which makes it even more difficult to get around. I think this also controls you not seeing the 'warning' on screen notification for when you're getting spotted (or if there are incoming SAMs). You still get the audio tones for both, but it does amp up the difficulty a lot.. especially since you can't know where guys are behind your LoS. Edit: also.. no syncshot in single player! Makes the AI almost completely useless.

No Minimap: As mentioned above, it means relying a lot of the main map, which pauses the game in single player, but does not in co-op. This 'works', and I've been playing no mini-map for weeks now, and I mostly like it, it frees up a decent amount of screen real estate, and you don't get the enemies little spheres on the map (on Advanced difficulty). Driving can be kind of a pain since you don't have any GPS or advanced warning for turns etc, again it's a lot of double checking the main map and trying to memorize where you're going. I saw online someone using a tablet with the Ghost Recon HQ app as a real-time map.. seemed genius. I need to get a tablet!

No Ammo: This makes the game borderline unusable. I like that it frees up a little more screen, and you need to get rid of it to make pretty screen shots, but man, it makes playing the game really-really hard/frustrating and not in a good way. Not being able to see your ammo is one thing, I guess fire till you run dry. There are so many ammo crates littered across the world that I don't think it's a huge issue. You can physically see which gun you have equipped, and if it has a silencer on it/etc. The BIG GIANT FREAKING issue is that you can't see which item you have selected. So.. are you on C4? Grenades? Noise Maker? No idea until you go to use it. Some, like grenades, you can 'undo' the action, but others you can't, so maybe you just tossed some C4 where you really didn't want to, or placed a mine.. oy. I wish there was some middle ground here, but as it stands, by default the ammo/item menu disappears after a few seconds of non-use, so I'll leave it on and just go with it.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
3 new missions are available with 5 skill points and a new weapon. It's called Unidad Conspiracy and available on the Ubi Club for free.

jGoKWmm.png

How did you unlocked the costume?

It was in the costume section but its gone now, probably release in the future. You can kinda make one really similar with this preset.

• Facial Pant - Santa Muerte
  • Fleece - Black Heavy IBA - Black 5.11 Tactical B - Black Sneakers - Black or Grey
  • Baseball Cap Backwards - Black Headset C - Olive Drab Kelvar Gloves - Black Sapper Pack - Black Patch - None

Belker

Just had a session with Beo (who's lurking - hello) and Veet. I was coughing all the way through, so I'm probably going to pay for it in the morning.

I've been glancing at the thread when I've been able, to keep track of the card feedback. We tested an idea I had that I hope sits somewhere between Beo and Crude's class-based idea and the 'full catastrophe' of my totally random system. It also incorporates feedback from Ont and Sparrows.

Five weapons cards.

Shotgun
Sniper
Sub
Assault
LMG

Draw one card, player gets that weapon + pistol. That card is removed before next player draws. That means only one sniper, lmg, etc.

Four 'vision' cards
Binoculars
Nightvision
Thermal
Drone

Draw one and discard. Next player chooses from remaining etc. Only one drone, only one player with NVG and so on.

Six 'item' cards - everyone gets a parachute

Flare
Flash
C4
Diversion lure
Mine
Frag

With two players, draw three cards per player. With three players, draw two cards per player (this is how we played tonight) . With four players, draw one card per player. As before, once a card is drawn its discarded so only one person gets flash, one gets frag etc.

Five rebel cards

Diversion
Vehicle
Guns for hire
Mortar
Spotting - not sure if this should be removed, so only four cards to draw from.

With two/three players draw two cards. Discard as previous. With four players, draw one each.

From our quick three-person test, it seems like there's a balance there of feeling special (only I can do X,Y and Z) and the uncertainty of randomness and emergence that brings. It's also very quick to do and, because there are no blanks, everyone gets something useful but there'll always be at least one thing the group is missing, which is something I like.

You may want mines, but you'll have grenades and maybe you can make that work. Or in my case, Veetro was stuck in a Unidad base under fire, but I had flash grenades. I ran down the side of the base chucking them in, only to get hit by a train.

I think NVG should be standard, the same as parachute. Otherwise you cant coordinate a night attack as some nights are ridiculously dark. Having NVG for all would allow for team night operations. Only having one player seems silly (if only because the AI doesn't need NVG).

I would recommend switching it for a 2nd drone maybe (one medical/explosive/EMP)? Not sure. Maybe two thermal cards? It just seems like no NVG would really limit night stuff for most of the squad, which doesn't seem tactical or fun.. Just wait till the morning.

But who knows. If I ever play with you again I'll have to give it a try.

Belker

I think NVG should be standard, the same as parachute. Otherwise you cant coordinate a night attack as some nights are ridiculously dark. Having NVG for all would allow for team night operations. Only having one player seems silly (if only because the AI doesn't need NVG).

I would recommend switching it for a 2nd drone maybe (one medical/explosive/EMP)? Not sure. Maybe two thermal cards? It just seems like no NVG would really limit night stuff for most of the squad, which doesn't seem tactical or fun.. Just wait till the morning.

But who knows. If I ever play with you again I'll have to give it a try.

The great thing about this, is that it's so easy for everyone to experiment and make the system your own. Want standard NVG and two drones? Go for it. It's all about setting up some basic rules for people to then change or ignore, depending on their preference.

I'm posting here so people can grab a pen and paper and start experimenting.

What attracted me to the full randomness and limitations on NVG, is precisely that it's not a good idea. That things can go wrong and it might not be fun. For me, too much not fun is frustrating, but a littlebit of not fun can be compelling and force new thinking.

I like that kind of asymmetry and wondering how there'll be some complex clockwork interaction between players and their abilities.

Aaand I'm now imagining that meme from Fifty Shades where he says he has unconventional desires and shows her a My Little Pony Bedroom.

I thought that was what it was, but it seemed so ridiculous that the cars have a manual transmission, because everything else about them is so simple and floaty.

The sound design is really off the charts in some aspects, if you listen you can hear the cars changing gears when you drive.

Helps now that the radio is neutered as well. The animal noises etc are really all well done. I love just wandering through the world.

Belker

The sound design is really off the charts in some aspects, if you listen you can hear the cars changing gears when you drive.

Helps now that the radio is neutered as well. The animal noises etc are really all well done. I love just wandering through the world.

I'd like it if they Far Cried the game, so that animals had predators and ran away when chased. Plus the crazier it got - like adding non-native species, the further they can push the idea of it not being Bolivia.

Capitan

I've been quite enjoying this, despite the jank. solid shooting mechanics, awesome sound design. some mechanics are kind of weird, though. climbing mechanics are really inconsistent- you can never be sure what you can vault/climb over. cars insta kill you if you walk into the side of them while they're moving even a little. a ton of little bugs. still a ton of fun.
edit: why are the helicopter controls so unintuitive? once you hit a certain speed, the controls change. how does that make sense?

void666

Banned
So, how is the pvp going to be like?

I've been watching battleground videos lately. I think a similar kind of pvp could work for wildlands. Each province, a different map.

Belker

Ont wanted to do a breach and clear mission by going in from the top. This meant jumping a car onto the roof of the building. After many attempts, he finally managed it. Sort of.

DeterminedSomberFunnelweaverspider.gif

Hahs

Playing so much Wildlands and Rocket League, just called my favs "WildLeague​" & "Rocketland"...lol!! Good times!

Really digging the game though, not too bad after closed and open beta access - could be better, but than again everything is rushed these days... People need money, people are impatient - double-edged love, baby

SJRB

Gold Member
Still love this game very much. The geographical changes throughout the game world are pretty incredible, and the verticality is really, really well done.

Just did almost all missions in the Caimanes province, I love how dense it is with the swamps and thick jungle.

I also really like the random conversations the ghosts have, and there are a ton of them. It's not all banter, sometimes they just comment on the situation or on Santa Blanca. Interestingly enough it humanizes them because it moves away from the special forces dudebro attitude they're rocking [and rightfully so, they ARE special forces and all].

Belker

Yes, there are multiple moments in each session where one realises just how good the game looks. Not only vistas, but how ones character gets wet and dirty, thunder flashing, headlights from vehicles.

Also, were in a cave earlier where Veet turned off the generator inside and the lights went out. Complete darkness. Complete. It was like someone had turned off the TV - I don't think I've seen that in a game before. Doesn't sound like much, but after 50 hours it was surprising to experience.

Dabanton

Game is magnificent even with a bit of jankiness. Actually love driving the cars and trucks. Feels about right. Also the sheer differences between each of the areas is amazing. The game is pure Ubisoft but the core game is so fun.

They have something special to build on here.

Belker

This video on handling and accuracy is quite interesting. Helps me understand how they affect the guns and I'll probably tweak things accordingly. Also makes me want to try taking a base with all short-medium range guns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO8P9FwwyIw

EDIT

I was just browsing and found another interesting vid - did you know changing your weapon changes the magazines on your vest too? Great attention to detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYKlfa4e-BA

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So how do you disable the helicopter convoys to loot them? Can you just shoot them down normally? Or will that fail the convoy?

Bollocks

helicopter drop location is ridiculous, open area right next to me, no, spawn it on the opposite site of the canyon.

also can I somehow highlight all the kingslayer files? I'm missing 1 and it is not marked on the map and I don't have ? locations any more.

Top Bottom