• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands |OT| Squad Goals

Wildlands, Deluxe, and Gold are all on sale this week on Xbox.

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands - Deluxe Edition - $52.49 - 25% off
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands - Standard Edition - $44.99 - 25% off
Tom Clancy's Ghost ReconWildlands - Gold Edition - $69.99 - 30% off

Not a huge savings, but it's something.

Hoping to hop in this week, been a busy weekend!

Tecnniqe

Banned
Wildlands, Deluxe, and Gold are all on sale this week on Xbox.

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands - Deluxe Edition - $52.49 - 25% off
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands - Standard Edition - $44.99 - 25% off
Tom Clancy's Ghost ReconWildlands - Gold Edition - $69.99 - 30% off

Not a huge savings, but it's something.

Hoping to hop in this week, been a busy weekend!

Sale for a good coop game is always worth!

____

Hey guys,

Is the season pass worth it? Almost pulled the trigger but have some doubts about how much content is there for the $40 or should I just buy each DLC separately?

Hey guys,

Is the season pass worth it? Almost pulled the trigger but have some doubts about how much content is there for the $40 or should I just buy each DLC separately?

Absolutely not worth it

Avoid Narco Road and wait for some impressions on Fallen Ghosts.

The rest of the "content" is crap.

____

Absolutely not worth it

Avoid Narco Road and wait for some impressions on Fallen Ghosts.

The rest of the "content" is crap.

Thanks, that's kinda what I thought. I've been looking at trailers and researching info online, and it just doesn't seem like the $40 is money well spent.

Also haven't heard good things about Narco Road, so yeah, I'll be waiting for Fallen Ghosts and PvP.

Thanks again!

Hey guys,

I got it, and I think it was fine. Since I didn't pre-order I didn't get the smaller campaign stuff for free (Peruvian Connection and UNIDAD Conspiracy I think). They're nothing great but I think they're $4.99 each and add a handful of new missions.

Narco Road wasn't terrible, and I think I got somewhere between 15-20 hours of enjoyment out of it. If the same holds for Fallen Ghosts then I think it's fine. You also get some Ghost Recon tokens to buy things in the store. I think I got it for like $36 off cdkeys.

I would recommend most people play the game first and decide if it's something they're going to invest a lot of time into first before buying the season pass.

____

I got it, and I think it was fine. Since I didn't pre-order I didn't get the smaller campaign stuff for free (Peruvian Connection and UNIDAD Conspiracy I think). They're nothing great but I think they're $4.99 each and add a handful of new missions.

Narco Road wasn't terrible, and I think I got somewhere between 15-20 hours of enjoyment out of it. If the same holds for Fallen Ghosts then I think it's fine. You also get some Ghost Recon tokens to buy things in the store. I think I got it for like $36 off cdkeys.

I would recommend most people play the game first and decide if it's something they're going to invest a lot of time into first before buying the season pass.

I've already 100% all provinces/missions, got both endings and I think I have 82% of trophies for the base game, with maybe like 4 trophies left for the Platinum (blowing 7 enemies up w/ C4, collect all documents, collect all legends, obtain all upgrades) so I've definitely enjoyed the game so far.

All I'm doing now is just grinding different resource side-missions to get all skills upgraded, but it's no longer that fun so I was definitely looking for new content. I just hadn't heard great things so far, and I figure I might as well download the DLC separately instead of spending the entire $40 and not feeling like it's worth it, because I don't care about bonus XP, skins, new weapons, etc. If I find the Season Pass on sale, I might jump but for now I think I'm just gonna wait and see or just wait for PvP. Although 15-20 more hours of play per DLC pack isn't bad....

Fallen Ghosts Launch Trailer

Gonna go home and get downloading on this bad boy.

As far as the DLC goes.. I really, really don't get the hate Narco Road gets. Is it different? Absolutely. Should it have been the first DLC? Absolutely not. I assume this is where the rub is.. people wanted more of what they got in the base game, and Narco Road isn't that. I mean, it's kind of that, but not in the tactical way people wanted.

It's a crazy 80's movie version of Wildlands. The nitro jumps and other EXXXXTTREEEEME stunts are kind of stupid, but I can't deny I didn't have a smile on my face for most of them. The story is kind of all over the place, but a little more straight forward than the main game. The last boss and ending was straight up great. The 2nd the last mission was my favorite for the whole game (so far, haven't played Fallen Ghosts yet). I still have some grinding to do to get to 100%, but that's on me.

lcd

As far as the DLC goes.. I really, really don't get the hate Narco Road gets.

I finished Narco Road 100% and am glad to never have to play it again. The main story missions and most of the activities were fun but the dirt-bike trials were terrible and glitchy. Also trying to finish all the drifts and jumps was frustrating with the constant and almost non-stop spawning of hostile rival gangs in vehicles that got in my way.

Loaded up Fallen Ghosts last night and just flew a chopper around a bit. Looks to be a lot more like the base game but glad they don't take away your skills (still take some of your weapons though).

Interesting new enemy variations as well with some having Predator style cloaking, portable drone jammers and armor that protects everything but their head.

Yeah I played through the first couple missions of Fallen Ghosts last night.. its definitely harder. The jammers are interesting since they make it so you can't mark enemies as well. They all seem to do more damage, and the one-hit-kill snipers are a little annoying at first.

Overall it seems fun, some new side-mission types as well.

Hopefully can get in on some co-op action soon.

Ashtar

Hmmm thinking about picking this up, the Gold edition is 60 bucks at Target allegedly but with Narco Road being booty im not sure if it's worthy..... What say you fellow ghosts?

Belker

Hmmm thinking about picking this up, the Gold edition is 60 bucks at Target allegedly but with Narco Road being booty im not sure if it's worthy..... What say you fellow ghosts?

Do you have people to play with? Then you'll get your money's worth, even if you don't like the DLC; I've got my money back and have barely touched Narco Orad.

Don't have people to play with, then wait for a bigger discount.

Edit

I think the DLC is useful to give people a reason to come back, rather than a reason to stay.

Ashtar

Do you have people to play with? Then you'll get your money's worth, even if you don't like the DLC; I've got my money back and have barely touched Narco Orad.

Don't have people to play with, then wait for a bigger discount.

Edit

I think the DLC is useful to give people a reason to come back, rather than a reason to stay.
I don't really, some of my friends got on it earlier but I think most people are done with it now

Belker

There are people on here who've had great fun single player, but it's really a co-op title.

Maybe see if your friends will want to return to it for the DLC in the future. The game could have dropped in price by then.

If you are on Xbox there are still people playing from the various GAF groups, but not as much as at launch. I think people are winding up the story mode now. I do want to come back for the DLC ince I've done the main game, but take a break in between.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Finished the fallen ghosts dlc and i liked a lot. Much better than narco road and i liked the new type of enemies and the secondary missions.

Got the game this weekend on PS4. Loving it so far. How do I unlock more guns?
In each province, complete two intel side missions, the white (!) circles, not the yellow story-based intel missions. When you complete your second intel mission in a province you can choose to show the location of all of that province's weapon cases and parts.

Also, you can see all the weapons and parts in your loadout screen, even for items you haven't acquired yet, so if you want something in particular (like that sniper scope, or an extended mag for your favorite weapon), bring it up in your loadout screen and in the details panel you'll see which province has that weapon or part.

Happy hunting.

In each province, complete two intel side missions, the white (!) circles, not the yellow story-based intel missions. When you complete your second intel mission in a province you can choose to show the location of all of that province's weapon cases and parts.

Also, you can see all the weapons and parts in your loadout screen, even for items you haven't acquired yet, so if you want something in particular (like that sniper scope, or an extended mag for your favorite weapon), bring it up in your loadout screen and in the details panel you'll see which province has that weapon or part.

Happy hunting.

+ you'll just stumble upon them in bases and villages.

Only played the first two Fallen Ghosts missions.. but it's fun.. and HARD(er) initially.

Looking forward to finding time to play through the rest.

I hope they do a Scorpio patch down the road for performance. I don't have a good PC, but would love to see some of those graphics in motion.

The game needs PvP to keep players around I think. The co-op is insanely fun, but once people start moving to other things it gets empty really fast.

I've been using the Looking for Group thing and Clubs, and its been surprisingly not terrible. First game I've ever bothered to do that for.

Slermy

Finished the fallen ghosts dlc and i liked a lot. Much better than narco road and i liked the new type of enemies and the secondary missions.

I know weapons don't carry over, and it's a new character, but are there any character customizations that unlock and can be carried back into the main game?

Just started playing this and keep wondering if im playing it "wrong".

Is it possible to stealth every encounter/mission or is viable to play the game guns a blazing?

I've been trying to stealth everything bit once spotted it seems like the enemy onslaught never ends.

Just started playing this and keep wondering if im playing it "wrong".

Is it possible to stealth every encounter/mission or is viable to play the game guns a blazing?

I've been trying to stealth everything bit once spotted it seems like the enemy onslaught never ends.
You can't stealth every mission no, as many story missions have scripted bits to them that you can't control.

Stealth is the best approach most of the time though. Just keep some things in mind:

* If you miss a shot, enemies will hear those shots land if they're anywhere near by. Even if you drop the target you're aiming at but some shots miss and hit a wall behind them you may have trouble. Same goes for shooting out lights or missing shots on targets like alarms. So, pro tip: Don't miss ;p And even when you hit something, make sure that its not within eye or ear shot of enemies.

* You can't move bodies so you'll want to take targets down in areas where their bodies aren't likely to be stumbled upon, at least for a minute or two, as bodies do disappear pretty quickly, especially when you're not looking in that area.

* Your suppressed weapons aren't silent. This is a big one. Generally speaking, silent pistol shots can be heard within 20 meters, SMGs at 25 meters, ARs at 35 meters and Sniper Rifles at 50 meters. (This is why I usually run with a suppressed SMG when infiltrating a base) If enemies hear your shots they'll become curious, though not fully alerted. If there are no bodies for them to find quickly you're probably OK after a few moments. If you fire suppressed shots within range of sleeping enemies they will get up, but short of anything else to raise their suspicions they won't go far before heading back to bed.

* Speaking of sleeping enemies - don't shoot them, for the reasons explained above. Use melee (IIRC its R3 on PS4) to take them out silently in one hit.

* Take out a base's generator, and be on the lookout for more than one generator or a generator complex in larger or multi-part bases. Taking out the generator takes down any jammers, any AA, all lights and the alarm towers. It raises suspicion but only for what seems like a few seconds before the enemies all shrug and go about their business (even in total darkness). You can take out generators at a distance with your weapony, including long distance snipes if you have a good line of sight - and yes, even through the fencing. Note: If you're having trouble finding the generator, switch to your thermal vision - even during daylight hours generators, AA and jammers light up like crazy.

* If you do raise an alert, relocate! Shift your position, do it quickly, put as much distance as you can between you and your previous position, but try and do it without exposing any line of sight to enemies. Once they're alerted they can see like eagles wearing thermals. The only tried and true method to avoid them is to keep obstacles between you and them. They'll most often move to the position YOU were in at the moment the alert was triggered, and sometimes they'll check out the area the alert originated from first before moving to your position using psychic powers. But if you get used to relocating you can fire and move and whittle the enemy down, even with them alerted.

* In terms of your allied AI squadmates keep in mind that its not possible for them to be spotted by the enemy when they're in their default follow mode. BUT, once you give them a command to move to a specific position or to rally on you they CAN be spotted while moving.

Thanks for that. Its great knowing how the game's systems work.

So, if I get spotted and all hell breaks loose, is it ever feasible to just go all "Heat" on the enemy? I quickly noticed the purple enemies (Unidad?) have unlimited reinforcements.

Thanks for that. Its great knowing how the game's systems work.

So, if I get spotted and all hell breaks loose, is it ever feasible to just go all "Heat" on the enemy? I quickly noticed the purple enemies (Unidad?) have unlimited reinforcements.
Going hot against Santa Blanca is definitely doable. And if you're relocating after each skirmish (sniper style, take your shots and then move to a position with overwatch over your last position) its even easier to tackle reinforcements. Expect those reinforcements to roll up in trucks (which mines are good for, provided there is no civilian traffic) and maybe technicals from the roads - which is why I usually try to infiltrate away from roads, as well as escape along the same lines. If you're attacking a compound with active alarm towers (the very first thing you should look for when reconning), expect enemy helos too, which can make things more complicated (I recommend opening up with an LMG from cover, using underslung grenades or another player with a high penetration and/or unsuppressed sniper rifle in that case).

Against Unidad the best you can do is hold out while trying to escape the area, because they will not quit. If you can find a hide spot, say inside a building after leaving them behind a bit you still might have to hunker down for a while as their gunship patrols are persistent. But eventually they'll bug out too once you've evaded the Unidad alert for long enough.

I'd recommend approaching most missions in stealth as much as possible, but if that starts to bore you there are plenty of opportunities for going loud and blowing shit up too, especially since all of the bases and outposts you take out will respawn with enemies soon enough - so there's always fodder for going on the assault or pulling an ad-hoc horde-mode if you want to. Its worth doing that even if just to listen to the amazing sound work they've done with the unsuppressed weapons. Crunchy and meaty as hell.

SeanR1221

Is the HDR broken in this game? It's incredibly dark at night. Is it supposed to be "realistic" in the sense that you should be using night vision?

For new players, there's a club on Xbox Live. PM me with your GAF name and I'll let you in.

https://account.xbox.com/en-GB/clubs/profile?clubid=3379847327771890

There is also a NeoGaf task force on the Ubisoft website, but I don't have the URL to hand.

Here is the link for the NeoGAF Xbox Task Force.

The website seems to be working better for me lately.

I finally got around to playing through a couple Fallen Ghost missions with Beow last night, it's pretty fun! Definitely harder than normal. The new enemy types can be ruthless.. especially the camouflaged ones. It does seem like the UNIDAD and Mercs don't notice each other as much as Santa Blanca, or call in unlimited reinforcements as much, which is nice I guess. The 'enhanced' weather seems to just be a lot more rain and fog. The fog is killer.. it is annoying but cool annoying I guess.

Haven't really thought of/found a way to make Fallen Ghosts harder yet, as it's pretty hard from the get go. Will have to play through it before diving into that. Still try to run minimal HUD, no suppressors or pistol-only suppressors. The knife take downs are cool.

Dinged 30 last night, and mostly from soloing as my co-op buddies have shifted over to other games, and that means running a lot of story missions on my own.

The timed missions have bugged me, and along with tailing missions are the worst aspects of the game, but I've been impressed by just how much variety there has been to the missions, and how they all fit seamlessly into the narrative of the overall assault on the Cartel hierarchy and in each province's storyline and characters. There are a lot of little touches that show how much work the team put into developing and explaining their alternate universe Bolivia.

I also get the sense that different designers worked on the different provinces, because you can see some provinces focus on vehicle missions, while others are more search and destroy, and others more focused on stealth and sniping, and this shows itself in the design of the bases and scenarios.

Still having a great time, even if I am bummed that this first game won't fully live up its potential. There's still plenty of meat on these bones regardless.

Got excited that Xbox One X was going to have technical upgrades for Wildlands. Lost interest at the 499.

Yeah I am looking forward to seeing what they improve.

Though I imagine by November there won't be a ton of people still playing.. unless PvP really takes off, though with Player Unknown coming out I imagine a lot of people will be headed over there.

I've just run out of free time to play games lately.. which is kind of a bummer, but I got to rack up SO many hours in Wildlands, it's kind of nice to take a break.

I'll probably get my gaming fill for June this week being @ E3. Wonder if they'll have Wildlands playable on Xbox One X? I guess I'll find out tonight.

So not to bra.. ok totally to brag..but one of my Wildlands clips was featured in the pre-briefing Ubisoft segment!

Ahhhh that is so cool.

Nice.

Family just built me a gaming PC for my 50th. Even though I have a big Steam library, first game I bought for it was/is Wildlands. Woot!

(My son, a member of the 'PC Master Race', swore he'd never talk to me again if I bought a Scorpio. Guess I don't have to now...)

Belker

LOL yep!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11HnERH0WPk

So random.. I was like.. wait.. that looks familiar.. wait, that's my name. Whoa!

Pretty dorky, but now I have something to brag about when I head to the show floor tomorrow :)

Congrats!

They should have used the one where we were trying to mortar Bolivian children. See if the game had Skyrim limitations or not.

EDIT - I saw your clip on the stream. Very cool and one of the longer ones they showed. You should see if you can get some swag for it.

____

Alright for Fallen Ghosts is my game just glitched?

I can't use any rebel support, it says "Forbidden By Mission" but my friend says he can use his no prob.

Belker

I'm hoping to wrap the story this weekend, or at least get close to it. Then maybe wait a bit before doing Narco Road and then a gap before Fallen Ghosts.

Haha thanks.. I asked around the Ubisoft booth but they said that there wasn't really anyone there this year from the Wildlands team since they were not showing anything at E3, Boooo.

Either way it was/is still pretty cool. First game I really ever bothered to put shit on YouTube for.

Need to get back into Wildlands once everything calms down. Need to finish Fallen Ghosts.. and still no PVP news? Oof.

Belker

Haha thanks.. I asked around the Ubisoft booth but they said that there wasn't really anyone there this year from the Wildlands team since they were not showing anything at E3, Boooo.

They're not obliged to give you anything, but I think that's a poor example of customer service. It's a public show and you're someone who's not only played their game, but is now helping to publicise it.

They ch-ch-chose you.

Maybe they didn't have t-shirts to give away, but to blame it on the Wildlands team not being there is besides the point. Did they offer to take your contact details to pass on about your visit? It would have been a nice gesture if nothing else.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Been playing a lot these last few days. Game is massively underrated IMO. When playing with buddies that are trying for a silent/stealth approach, it's a goddamn blast. I've been upgrading my guy and all the stats I want when playing alone and then do main missions when playing with others.

Top Bottom