• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Clancy's The Division |OT 3| Crafted From 150 OT 2’s

Color me unimpressed if the rumored 1.8 "content" floating around is real. If it is real it seems far, far too PvP focused.

I don't like to be speculative but I have to admit my expectations have been tempered a bit.

Hopefully we get the an official outline of sorts soon and maybe even a trailer.

GazzaGSi

Hmmm not sure I buy that... didn't seem THAT much faster. And she didn't show it on actual people or even PvE.

It is real, Massive released a statement saying they're on it with a fix asap.

I thought 1.8 was PVP orientated with 1.7 being more PVE with the GE? Either way I don't mind as been enjoying the DZ and LS recently trying different Ninja builds, DeadEye 5 Piece and the absolute ripper; MP7 full classified lonestar setup. Probably not had as much fun since when SMGs used to stack with Sentry, MP7 classy lonestar is like permanent tact link with ridiculous RPM and damage.

I thought 1.8 was PVP orientated with 1.7 being more PVE with the GE? Either way I don't mind as been enjoying the DZ and LS recently trying different Ninja builds, DeadEye 5 Piece and the absolute ripper; MP7 full classified lonestar setup. Probably not had as much fun since when SMGs used to stack with Sentry, MP7 classy lonestar is like permanent tact link with ridiculous RPM and damage.

Good lord I hope not as the GE is really nothing more than rehashed content with a modifier active, yikes.

If the rumors are true then 1.8 looks very similar to 1.6...

Expanded DZ
New Last Stand Gametype
New Incursion
Reworked PvE Missions

...that's not what I was expecting or wanted.

Damn, then.

Oh I want to play with the MP7 like that. :D

How can I get classified LoneStar? LZ/DZ bosses right?

GazzaGSi

Good lord I hope not as the GE is really nothing more than rehashed content with a modifier active, yikes.

If the rumors are true then 1.8 looks very similar to 1.6...

Expanded DZ
New Last Stand Gametype
New Incursion
Reworked PvE Missions

...that's not what I was expecting or wanted.

Hopefully we'll know more with this teaser trailer that's coming in afew hours, well I assume it's a trailer as that's what the word is amongst other forums with all the tweets from the last week.

Damn, then.

Oh I want to play with the MP7 like that. :D

How can I get classified LoneStar? LZ/DZ bosses right?

Thats right and on the very very slim chance, a bonus item in a last stand, exotic, UG, survival & proficiency caches. I was quite fortunate in getting it complete during the GE and with 2 attributes being able to be recalibrated, a bad piece can be made usable :)

I'm going to go with the those rumors concerning 1.8 content being false as that would be far too similar to what we got in 1.6 and given the ETF reactions to what was coming I can't see them being that excited or hyping it up like they were back then.

GazzaGSi

Actual content!

PVE & PVP

https://youtu.be/yyvXWqoWb7Y

Small map expansion: West Side Pier, enemies re grouping and working together, PVE mode called Resistance (wave based?)

Skirmish added to PVP, looks 4v4 in the trailer and the map looks like the West Side Pier so PVP no longer in the DZ.

GazzaGSi

The Division's free 1.8 Update is coming this fall for all platforms and it's the biggest update for the game so far, containing two new modes – the Resistance PVE mode and Skirmish PVP mode – and a West Side Pier map expansion spread across two zones. This will be open for all players and features a new Camp Clinton social space where players can gear up and meet up with other Agents.

In addition to new open-world activities, the West Side Pier is also the site of the two aforementioned modes. In Resistance PVE mode, up to four Division Agents have to take on waves of enemies from all factions. Survive for your chance to earn rewards.

If you prefer to test your skills against live opponents, the new PVP mode, Skirmish, pits two teams of four players against each other to score the highest number of kills before the timer runs out. It won't be enough to just down your enemies, though; only by eliminating them can you earn points.

Finally, the Resistance update brings a host of smaller adjustments, including improvements to the Underground DLC and rogue mechanics, as well as gear system changes that will enable you to improve the stats on your favorite items.

http://blog.ubi.com/division-free-resistance-update-1-8-adds-new-modes-map-area/

Highlighted afew bits. New social space Camp Clinton sounds interesting, I hope it has to be restored like the BoO.

It's about goddamn time they got around to the Intrepid! I just hope that means that the update includes a new Incursion at the museum.

Not the Central Park update I wanted, but sounds like enough to get me to reinstall the game.

Vashu

Noice! That is content I've been looking forward to. New area to explore, ship to battle on, skirmish mode could be fun but I am really looking forward to the PVE content.

GazzaGSi

So apparently you'll be able to play both on and inside of the ship seen in the trailer :O

More details from testers:
https://www.reddit.com/r/thedivisio...ey_have_loosened_part_of_our_nda_if_you_have/

Awesome thanks for the link.

Noice! That is content I've been looking forward to. New area to explore, ship to battle on, skirmish mode could be fun but I am really looking forward to the PVE content.

Seems a solid update and from the reddit link it seems the area is pretty large as I was abit concerned when it was highlighted on the video that is had quite a small footprint.

Apparently 1.8 is not just the stuff that was shown in the trailer as a ETF member says the whole game is getting some love including The Underground. Music to my ears.

I think they should have held off on the Commendation Update and released it along side the 1.8 update signifying a new beginning of sorts especially if the entire game is getting a makeover of sorts.

Then again, nothing is stopping them from releasing new commendation sets for new and existing but reworked content.

Kambing

Hi guys,

I just booted up Division last night for the first time. The game is stunning on PC and runs really well. Without wasting too much of anyones time, can anyone suggest to me how they would progress through the game as a first time player? I just got out of the first zone. Not sure if I should be seeing other players in the area, or if its souls like for MP?

As a beginner, would you say this title is worth getting into at this late stage? I am a little unclear what the end game is, because the beginning missions made it seem like there is not much of a story to the game like there is in Destiny?

Vashu

Hi guys,

I just booted up Division last night for the first time. The game is stunning on PC and runs really well. Without wasting too much of anyones time, can anyone suggest to me how they would progress through the game as a first time player? I just got out of the first zone. Not sure if I should be seeing other players in the area, or if its souls like for MP?

As a beginner, would you say this title is worth getting into at this late stage? I am a little unclear what the end game is, because the beginning missions made it seem like there is not much of a story to the game like there is in Destiny?

Oh, you're wrong there, there is quite a bit of story to it with the main missions. It's even enhanced with ingame stuff like mobile phones lying around with soundbites, sidequests, ECHOs and more. Destiny put all their stories on cards you had to look up on their website, which was stupid.

The hideouts and social hubs have other people running around, but once you leave those there are no other people around you. The only time you can have other people in the rest of the city is if they are in your team. There's no drop-in, drop-out gameplay like Dark Souls for instance.

PVP is very much condensed to several modes. Basically, I see the Dark Zone as another mode, one which you can more seamlessly enter compared to the others though.

Kambing

Oh, you're wrong there, there is quite a bit of story to it with the main missions. It's even enhanced with ingame stuff like mobile phones lying around with soundbites, sidequests, ECHOs and more. Destiny put all their stories on cards you had to look up on their website, which was stupid.

The hideouts and social hubs have other people running around, but once you leave those there are no other people around you. The only time you can have other people in the rest of the city is if they are in your team. There's no drop-in, drop-out gameplay like Dark Souls for instance.

PVP is very much condensed to several modes. Basically, I see the Dark Zone as another mode, one which you can more seamlessly enter compared to the others though.

Hey thanks so much for replying. That's great about the story! So you reckon I can solo this game for the most part? I know during some missions the game puts you into a team, much like in Destiny

Vashu

Hey thanks so much for replying. That's great about the story! So you reckon I can solo this game for the most part? I know during some missions the game puts you into a team, much like in Destiny

The entire game is solo-able, every mission, even the Dark Zone and Incursion stuff. Unless you want to team up that is.

GazzaGSi

Live 1.8 demo in the state of the game today.
Quite abit more info too with story prgression etc.
There's also 'Unauthorised Access' events which gives an icon on the map in West Side Pier (unsure if this happens in the rest of the LZ) which are (IMO) landmark events similar to the DZ as once you get to the location there will be afew waves of NPCs that need clearing out.

Division Tech is also available in this area, D-Tech is going to be used at the superior crafting station but they didn't go in to detail, just that it will be important. I personally think this will either be for infusing gear if a gear score increase happens or to craft classifieds/exotics if blueprints become available, purely my own thoughts on that though.

New exotic weapons are coming.

Will re-watch it for any more bits but it looks an awesome area with random events and intel to collect etc. So its not just the 2 new modes in the area, there is plenty of exploration and PVE stuff to do.

That's all they showed?

No pvp or underground?

Yeah, after watching I would rather them give us a main outline of what was changing concerning the entire game and it's existing modes plus what was coming as far as new content with the caveat that all of it is subject to change considering it is still in the development process.

Then, each week leading up to release show actual gameplay and/or have round table-like discussions on the changes and the new content.

I mean, yeah, I'm excited but the SotG just seems disorganized and a bit incoherent with a lot of "we are so excited to show you but we can't, there are so many changes but we can't tell you, etc, etc etc" and back-and-forth between developers and community managers.

Edit: Reward Masks will no longer be tied to Leaderboards but rather Global Event Commendations completed.

Vashu

Edit: Reward Masks will no longer be tied to Leaderboards but rather Global Event Commendations completed.

Nice, that is waaaay better than Leaderboards. Everyone has a chance to get the item they want, provided they do their best for it. No more sour faces when you're just kicked down to a Tier with no rewards.

Good they listened to it.

GazzaGSi

Oh and how could I forget, flat weapon damage bonuses are being changed to percentage based bonuses ie, gloves will roll % rather than a flat number.

I give a Massive a lot of grief at times (mainly because how much I love the game and/or frustrating things like lag that prohibits me from playing the game I love) but this time they got one right as they fixed a wrong and awarded me with the masks I deserved.

Vashu

I give a Massive a lot of grief at times (mainly because how much I love the game and/or frustrating things like lag that prohibits me from playing the game I love) but this time they got one right as they fixed a wrong and awarded me with the masks I deserved.

WOOHOO! Good to hear! ^_^

I can't wait for 1.8 after watching their live-stream. I love exploring new areas, and with the new challenges and random attacks I feel it's going to be a lot more fun in the regular city outside the Dark Zone.

GazzaGSi

Got my 3 masks, outbreak outfit and 2 outbreak caches, awesome. Even more chuffed they both helped my builds.

The RNG is madness in this at times.
I did 2 LZ named boss runs today, first one was all yellow HE items and I mean all, not 1 gear set and no cypher key fragments.
2nd run, 9 fragments! 3 classified! 2 exotics! At least 1 gear set off each named enemy.

Unbelievable.

Broke the 2k points barrier on the commendations too, think I'm around 2095 now. They've really helped the grind if you're into completing commendations. I'm mainly doing them for the cypher key fragments but they're definitely keeping me interested while we wait for the next GE.

RNG, huh...

So, yeah, back just before 1.7 dropped I made another pass through my stash and inventories and cleaned it out a bit. Got to the D3-FNC stuff and said to myself I'll never need these 4-5 backpacks as I'll always be using a HE or Ninja backpack with this set. Yeah, big mistake as I've dismantled and sold thousands of pieces of gear since and still haven't gotten a D3-FNC backpack which is the last piece I need to complete two commendations. Hoping one is for sale at reset tonight.

Edit: I'll be at 2050 soon, this is without any PvP, Survival (I can never even find a match/session to join on PC), or Last Stand.

Also, thinking about 1.8 and Underground I wonder if one thing they did was take the randomness of the encounters in the new area and apply that to Underground Missions.

GazzaGSi

RNG, huh...

So, yeah, back just before 1.7 dropped I made another pass through my stash and inventories and cleaned it out a bit. Got to the D3-FNC stuff and said to myself I'll never need these 4-5 backpacks as I'll always be using a HE or Ninja backpack with this set. Yeah, big mistake as I've dismantled and sold thousands of pieces of gear since and still haven't gotten a D3-FNC backpack which is the last piece I need to complete two commendations. Hoping one is for sale at reset tonight.

Edit: I'll be at 2050 soon, this is without any PvP, Survival (I can never even find a match/session to join on PC), or Last Stand.

Also, thinking about 1.8 and Underground I wonder if one thing they did was take the randomness of the encounters in the new area and apply that to Underground Missions.

I've got the exact same problem! I got rid of all my nomad and hunters faith gear as I'll never use them but now need a hunters faith backpack to complete the last set lol
Now seems to be the rarest piece going!

I've never pvp'd in Survival but I'm currently rocking the Agent Colossus last stand patch, don't need many more last stand commendations to complete them all.

I can't wait to hear the UG changes as I do really enjoy it but it has become stale as you see the same room repeated far too many times.

I just wish I could figure out why I could play the game solo or in a group 100% lag-free a few hours ago yet it is now 100% unplayable due to lag whether solo or not.

And just for peace of mind I bought a $250 Netgear modem/router yesterday and have seen zero improvement as the issues remain just as random as ever.

GazzaGSi

I just wish I could figure out why I could play the game solo or in a group 100% lag-free a few hours ago yet it is now 100% unplayable due to lag whether solo or not.

And just for peace of mind I bought a $250 Netgear modem/router yesterday and have seen zero improvement as the issues remain just as random as ever.

It really is bizarre and I have no idea why it happens. Today I played LS, teamed up in daily missions, solo'd the LZ bosses and teamed up with a mate in Oz the opposite side of the world to me with zero lag. Logged back in an hour later and it felt like it was running 5fps to the point where it gave me a headache so logged doubt. What gives.

New article up on the devblog:

INTELLIGENCE ANNEX #15: EXPLORING THE WEST SIDE
09.01.2017 12:00PM

Agents!

We are well into Year 2 for The Division, and we felt it was time to raise the stakes. We have heard the community’s requests for more content since launch, and we’ve been working hard to deliver new experiences to our players. For the first time in The Division, we are expanding the PvE open world in our newest map expansion—West Side Piers—available to everyone for free in Update 1.8.

West Side Piers
West Side Piers is located farther north of Camp Hudson on the western border of Manhattan. Scaled to about the size of two named zones, the map expansion grants players access to previously unexplorable NYC terrain. WSP is large enough to split into two pieces for reference—North and South. Offering players the opportunity to escape the crowded landscape, the NYC skyline is now visible alongside the iconic aircraft carrier—the Intrepid. We hope players appreciate this breath of fresh air as much as we do.

Camp Clinton
West Side Piers will also come with a new Forward Operations Center. In Update 1.8, the new hub for all things West Side Piers is Camp Clinton. Camp Clinton will feature all things Division Agents will need to prepare for the field—ammunition restock, recalibration stations, weapon/gear vendors, and much more. Without giving away too much, Camp Clinton is the place to set up shop in this update.

Story
Introduced in WSP is the concept of enemy factions working together for the very first time. Allied LMB, Rikers, Cleaners, and Rioters are united on the offensive for unknown reasons. As the player, it is your job to take back the area and uncover the mystery through a series of audio logs. You’ll find dozens that will add to the lore of The Division.

Dynamic Spawn System
A new dynamic AI generator will be integrated into West Side Piers to change the way players experience PVE content. As Agents travel the zone, enemy factions will spawn unexpectedly in proximity to players. This system brings the combat directly to all Agents, and no two play sessions will feel the same.

Side Missions / Assignments
With this new procedural spawning in place for enemies, players have the option of participating in two types of activities in West Side Piers. As the first activity, West Side Piers Side Missions will always offer a specific objective for players to complete in the zone. With one mission active in the North as well as the South, these replayable objectives will keep Agents on the move.

The second option, Assignments, are lighter and more passive activities comparable to the current Daily Combat Assignments. These challenges are timed events and can only be completed within a limited window. While only one Assignment can be active at a time, another will automatically be activated and shown on the HUD after the previous event timer closes.

Conclusions
We’ve heard the call for more open world gameplay, and we can’t wait for players to uncover all that’s waiting for them in the West Side Piers expansion. This is the first of many articles detailing the exciting new content coming with Update 1.8. Stay tuned for future updates and an in-depth look at what’s in store.

/ The Division Dev Team

https://tomclancy-thedivision.ubiso...intelligence-annex-15-exploring-the-west-side

daxy

A new dynamic AI generator will be integrated into West Side Piers to change the way players experience PVE content. As Agents travel the zone, enemy factions will spawn unexpectedly in proximity to players.

Ah, yes. I love the rush of excitement when I just cleared an area a minute ago and pass through it again, only to be ganked by a group of elites that respawned on top of me. Definitely my favorite part of The Division ;)

Truly the pinnacle of 'it's not a bug; it's a feature' design.

Yes, I'm sure it won't be as egregious as that.

Yes, Special Equipment Vendor is selling a D3-FNC backpack which is seemingly the only way I was going to acquire one for the Commendations.

Edit: Gazza, there is also a Hunter's Faith backpack for sale at the same vendor.

Vashu

Meh, no Banshee's Shadow Backpack nor the AlphaBridge Vest. :(

Was surprised to see the Assault stuff already in the game, even more surprised when I found out you can already work on getting the LMB Bosses one for the arm patch.

So we'll start with it after this weekend apparently, which is cool. The extreme close combat damage is going to be interesting. XD

Meh, no Banshee's Shadow Backpack nor the AlphaBridge Vest. :(

Was surprised to see the Assault stuff already in the game, even more surprised when I found out you can already work on getting the LMB Bosses one for the arm patch.

So we'll start with it after this weekend apparently, which is cool. The extreme close combat damage is going to be interesting. XD

Noooo, no...I can't deal with the inevitable head-on collision of The Division and Destiny 2. I'll try to find the time but Destiny is going to win out here, for me.

1.8 should drop when I'll have more time to experience it although I'll be busy with the PC version of Destiny 2 by then as well.

daxy

Noooo, no...I can't deal with the inevitable head-on collision of The Division and Destiny 2. I'll try to find the time but Destiny is going to win out here, for me.

1.8 should drop when I'll have more time to experience it although I'll be busy with the PC version of Destiny 2 by then as well.

Yeah, I'll be confronted with the same come the end of October when D2 hits PC. I'll probably still balance my play between both, because there's a certain something about The Division that just makes me come back for more every couple of weeks.

I finally completed collecting all audio logs, drones, survival guides, etc. yesterday. Spent a couple of hours scouring the map to do it, but I came out of it with like fifteen field proficiency cases. Nice! Haven't opened them yet and I bet there won't be a single exotic there if my past experience is at all indicative. Also, the rewards for collecting all those things was kinda disappointing considering the amount of time it took. Oh well.

GazzaGSi

The GE Assault won't happen on Destiny 2's release weekend. I think Vashu means he's just making a start on the LMB boss patch that you can complete now without the Assault GE active. They said GE Assault will be delayed acouple of weeks to sort the leaderboard out and tie the masks to the GE Assault commendations.

GazzaGSi

When GE Assault does happen I'll definitely find some time to at least try out a double Showstopper 6-piece Classified Lone Star build.

Im currently working on the last stand commendation - The Terminator lol finish top of last stand using only the shotgun and I'm using 3 striker, 2 lonestar and Ninja. It's mental but I'm really piss poor aiming with the shotguns but great fun. I'll have to try the shotgun with classified lonestar. May even give the 2 cassidys in my stash a bash with it.

rpcdrag0n

Managed to do two full sweeps of LZ named enemies today (4hrs apart ofcourse) in an attempt to get Ninja Bike or maybe the two missing classified Lone Star pieces. Got myself 4 exotics and a bunch of classified gear, all dupes.

Balls!

GazzaGSi

Managed to do two full sweeps of LZ named enemies today (4hrs apart ofcourse) in an attempt to get Ninja Bike or maybe the two missing classified Lone Star pieces. Got myself 4 exotics and a bunch of classified gear, all dupes.

Balls!

Ninja doesn't drop from LZ bosses, only skull gloves, tenebrae and caduceus exotics drop in the LZ. You can get a Ninja from the field proficiency caches though so still not wasted runs especially if you're on the hunt for classifieds too. Weekly assignments and the DZ is the best place for Ninja backpack.

rpcdrag0n

Ninja doesn't drop from LZ bosses, only skull gloves, tenebrae and caduceus exotics drop in the LZ. You can get a Ninja from the field proficiency caches though so still not wasted runs especially if you're on the hunt for classifieds too. Weekly assignments and the DZ is the best place for Ninja backpack.

Well sh*t lol.

As you say though thankfully not a total waste - got a bunch of classifieds, two gloves and two tenebrae's, along with a few proficiency caches. Will do the weekly assignment next- not a fan of going solo in the DZ after bosses and then extracting, not good for my blood pressure half the time. I don't mind dipping in for the weekly but otherwise, not a fan on my tod.

Got a Ninja from a Weekly Survival Cache. :D

With 54% ammo, 12k health and a high electronics roll. Rolled them for firearms and got 1268, nice.

Top Bottom