• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom DeLay: US doesn't need seperation of church and state

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monk

Banned
xsarien said:
Actually, you can. But when the two are weighed in court, "fair," and protecting the rights of the minority supersede the will of the majority..

In that case, fair reigns supreme which is my point.

All I am saying is that you either have a government that tries to be fair to everyone(in which case the illegal gay marriage thing was not right) or you have a government that does the will of the people(in which case the assault on Iraq was not originally right). Either way, you can blame Bush for doing something wrong.

Google, the inquisition, black civil rights, oppressed minority etc.

And your point would be? While I think those events are morally wrong, the people who are left the short end of the stick either fight back or leave he country. IMO anyone who isnt willing to die for their beliefs are not worthy any respect in the first place.

But thats just my opinion.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Socreges said:
Hitokage vs olimario

WHO WILL COME OUT ON TOP??

kind of unfair, since one of them has Thomas Jefferson on his side.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Socreges said:
Yes, but olimario has Jesus.
portrait-of-Jesus-zoom.jpg

Olimario spied on me through his digitical camera while I was taking a dump in my bathroom........fuck him.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Jefferson did write the Virginia Statue for Religious Freedom which is the direct predecessor of the First Amendment, but Madison also wrote Remonstrance Against Religious Assessments(excellent read) and presented the official proposal for the Bill of Rights to Congress in 1789 with the following wording:

Madison said:
The civil rights of none shall be abridged on account of religious belief or worship, nor shall any national religion be established, nor shall the full and equal rights of conscience be in any manner, or on any pretext, infringed.
Which was then boiled down to two lines:
First Amendment of the US Constitution said:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The bottom line is that if government starts siding the christian fundamentalists, then the rights of muslims, hindus, buddhists, etc are all infringed because they are forced to be subject to the Christian God. Furthermore, if government decides christians get special treatment, then it is but a mere afterthought away that only a specific christian sect gets special treatment. How's that for fucking liberty.

maharg

idspispopd
milliken-lady-liberty.jpg

Fucking liberty? I'd do her. She's hot.

(let it be known I am giving this thread the respect it deserves)

NLB2

Banned
Mike Works said:
oh LOL

How about you list some reasons as to why ANYONE should be for this?

You've got until midnight.
Why do you ask questions so easy to answer.
Tom DeLay should be for it because it would increase his base constituency desire to reelect him.

But of course this is all hot air and Tom DeLay is just saying this for the sake of his constituency.

olimario

Banned
Hitokage said:
The bottom line is that if government starts siding the christian fundamentalists, then the rights of muslims, hindus, buddhists, etc are all infringed because they are forced to be subject to the Christian God. Furthermore, if government decides christians get special treatment, then it is but a mere afterthought away that only a specific christian sect gets special treatment. How's that for fucking liberty.

This is hardly government siding with Christians. There are no laws now limiting religious freedom. There are no laws forcing people to conform to Christian ideals unless they are by coincidence such as ''thou shalt not steal''. What you think might happen is not in line with what is happening now. It's more of a conspiracy theory than anything because I truly believe most Americans are in favor of religious freedom.

There is no special treatment taking place. This is a statue on a lawn, not a law giving Christians special benefits. Hito... I don't mean this as an attack because everything you say is aligned with your belief system and I respect that, but I refuse to believe you would be argueing this if Christians were protesting a Buddhist statue on state property. If anything you would be attacking the protesting Christian nutjobs.

NLB2

Banned
olimario said:
He interprets the constitution differently than you do. A statue isn't a law respecting an established religion... It's just a statue. The 10 Commandments aren't US laws respecting an established religion.

I don't see the problem. If somebody wanted to put up a statue of Muhammed with some of his quotes on it, more power to them. It is a free country and they can believe whatever they choose. Just because they put up a statue doesn't mean there is magically a law in place that respects Islam or forces me to believe it.
Say, for the sake of argument, I'm a judge and I've created a religion called Nathanism. The tennents include the following:
Anyone who worships anything other than me as their deity will suffer eternal damnation.
Anyone who does not sacrifice their first born son on the day of his birth shall be deprived of food until death.
Any man who does not rape his daughters on their eleventh birthday shall, in turn, be raped by me.

Now say I post these tennents in front of my court room, no problems, eh?

Anthropic

Let us imagine the Bill of Rights said "Congress shall make no law respecting the establishment of a national shoe company"...and then a state went and hung a Nike swoosh in the state house. That would be unconstiutional.

olimario

Banned
NLB2 said:
Say, for the sake of argument, I'm a judge and I've created a religion called Nathanism. The tennents include the following:
Anyone who worships anything other than me as their deity will suffer eternal damnation.
Anyone who does not sacrifice their first born son on the day of his birth shall be deprived of food until death.
Any man who does not rape his daughters on their eleventh birthday shall, in turn, be raped by me.

Now say I post these tennents in front of my court room, no problems, eh?

No problems as long as his personal beliefs don't effect his judgements. I see no problem with a display of one's religious beliefs as long as those beliefs don't find their way into legal proceedings and judgements.

People are able to remain objective in spite of their beliefs, believe it or not.

Let us imagine the Bill of Rights said "Congress shall make no law respecting shoe companies"...and then a state went and hung a Nike swoosh in the state house. That would be unconstiutional.

As long as there was no law saying that Nike must be held in high regard and no law saying that nobody could disagree with nike, then yes, it would be fine AND constitutional. People's rights would not be effected.

NLB2

Banned
olimario said:
People are able to remain objective in spite of their beliefs, believe it or not.
You know, this is what the entire argument boils down to, doesn't it? Never mind, that's really not all it boils down to.

Triumph

Banned
Olimario, you're out of your element. You're like a babe, lost in the woods.

Right-o, back to seriousness land, the problem with putting a statue or plaque on goverment property with some sort of religous symbol(whether it be the Ten Commandments, the Star of David, the inverted Pentagram or the seal of Vishnu) is that the prescence of said symbol is tacit approval of that ONE RELIGION, which the government MAY NOT, let me repeat, MAY NOT, engage in.

How's that for plain fucking english for you, you Texas Jesus Freak? Simple enough?

Oh, and just for shits and giggles:

"Christianity is the most perverted system that ever shone on man."
-Thomas Jefferson

Now shut the fuck up and go back to taking pictures of your neighbor/dog/girlfriend.

olimario

Banned
Monk said:
If the majority agrees, where is the problem? :p

The majority isn't always right. If they majority of Americans believe that we should kill all the mexicans, does that make it right.

"B-b-b-but the majority agrees... it has to be okay!"

olimario

Banned
Raoul Duke said:
Olimario, you're out of your element. You're like a babe, lost in the woods.

Right-o, back to seriousness land, the problem with putting a statue or plaque on goverment property with some sort of religous symbol(whether it be the Ten Commandments, the Star of David, the inverted Pentagram or the seal of Vishnu) is that the prescence of said symbol is tacit approval of that ONE RELIGION, which the government MAY NOT, let me repeat, MAY NOT, engage in.

How's that for plain fucking english for you, you Texas Jesus Freak? Simple enough?

Oh, and just for shits and giggles:

"Christianity is the most perverted system that ever shone on man."
-Thomas Jefferson

Now shut the fuck up and go back to taking pictures of your neighbor/dog/girlfriend.

You're out of your mind... Your radical views are rarely in line with the simple reality they're based on.
A statue is not a law. The statue is not forcing people to hold Christianity in high esteem. The statue is not forcing people to worship the God of the Bible. There is no law not any hint of law suggesting either of those things.

If there was, why ARE MUSLIMS STILL PRACTICING ISLAM IN THIS JESUS COUNTRY? WE MUST KICK THEM OUT BECAUSE THE GOVERNMENT IS CLEARLY CHRISTIAN AND CLEARLY HOLDS THE VIEW THAT CHRISTIANITY IS THE RELIGION ABOVE ALL OTHERS... Didn't you see the statue? The magical, law-making statue?

And it's a good thing Jefferson's personal beliefs aren't in the constitution or you might actually have a point.

stat1sq.jpg

NLB2

Banned
olimario said:
The majority isn't always right. If they majority of Americans believe that we should kill all the mexicans, does that make it right.

Just for shits and gigles (did I just steal that from Raul?) let's hear your moral system.

olimario

Banned
NLB2 said:
Just for shits and gigles (did I just steal that from Raul?) let's hear your moral system.

I have a moral code that I don't always adhere to. I make mistakes and I recognize them as such. When I do, I do my best to repent. My conscience guides me.

Monk

Banned
olimario said:

I dont care if it is right or wrong. You either protect the rights of the minority or you side with the majority. If you side with the majoritym you will have to pay the price when the time comes as war criminal or whatever.

What I am trying to get at is, what is right and wrong changes with the times, in the end it is up to you to do what makes you feel good and not do otherwise and hope things work out nice. Because there is no way you can be sure your actions are the right thing to do for ever. For example, what happens if satanism is the correct religion? What you have been doing the the past was wrong.

Triumph

Banned
olimario said:
You're out of your mind... Your radical views are rarely in line with the simple reality they're based on.
A statue is not a law. The statue is not forcing people to hold Christianity in high esteem. The statue is not forcing people to worship the God of the Bible. There is no law not any hint of law suggesting either of those things.

If there was, why ARE MUSLIMS STILL PRACTICING ISLAM IN THIS JESUS COUNTRY? WE MUST KICK THEM OUT BECAUSE THE GOVERNMENT IS CLEARLY CHRISTIAN AND CLEARLY HOLDS THE VIEW THAT CHRISTIANITY IS THE RELIGION ABOVE ALL OTHERS... Didn't you see the statue? The magical, law-making statue?
So you're attempting to posit that a statue of the Ten Commandments doesn't imply that the judge, or sheriff, or town selectman or whoever the fuck decided to have it erected on govt. property prefers and advocates Christianity over any other form of religion?

Is that person not an agent of the government, whether local or national? Does the government have a duty to NOT advocate one form of religion? Does this person's actions, as a representative of that government, not interfere with that?

You're daft.

Pah. These arguments are a fucking smokescreen, the same as gay marriage, evolution and other conservative social issues. They're there to distract the national debate so that the Government can rob us fucking blind and we won't care because we're too busy arguing about a dumb fucking statue or whether or not it's ok for Adam and Steve to get married. Thanks for being a good little pawn, Gary. Your hero George W. Bush would like to thank you, and when the oil runs out in 2012, he will send you a postcard from his secret island retreat once again emphasizing how grateful he is that all of you simple, simple creatures made the destruction of civilization possible. He'll be kissing a man and urinating on a copy of the Bible on that postcard, Gary. Do you know why? BECAUSE IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY, YOU GULLIBLE BASTARDS.

DaMan121

And your point would be? While I think those events are morally wrong, the people who are left the short end of the stick either fight back or leave he country. IMO anyone who isnt willing to die for their beliefs are not worthy any respect in the first place.

Or you set up a sytem with checks and balances and nobody has to die.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
monk said:
But buddhism is not a religion...
If you want to get nitpicky technical on this, it depends on the sect. Oh, and make sure you aren't thinking of confucianism. :p

olimario said:
This is hardly government siding with Christians. There are no laws now limiting religious freedom. There are no laws forcing people to conform to Christian ideals unless they are by coincidence such as ''thou shalt not steal''. What you think might happen is not in line with what is happening now. It's more of a conspiracy theory than anything because I truly believe most Americans are in favor of religious freedom.
And a court declaring the Ten Commandments to be the source of American law, a claim which is utterly absurd unless you wanted to realign where executive power comes from, isn't endorsement?

There is no special treatment taking place. This is a statue on a lawn, not a law giving Christians special benefits. Hito... I don't mean this as an attack because everything you say is aligned with your belief system and I respect that, but I refuse to believe you would be argueing this if Christians were protesting a Buddhist statue on state property. If anything you would be attacking the protesting Christian nutjobs.
Oh, of course. I'm just an evil PERSECUTOR OF CHRISTIANS. That's my true motive, and I must do my part in Christ vs. The World. Fuck you. The freedom that protects my beliefs is the same freedom that protects christians, and the only people who don't have anything to lose by taking that away are the ruling class.

olimario

Banned
Raoul Duke said:
So you're attempting to posit that a statue of the Ten Commandments doesn't imply that the judge, or sheriff, or town selectman or whoever the fuck decided to have it erected on govt. property prefers and advocates Christianity over any other form of religion?

Is that person not an agent of the government, whether local or national? Does the government have a duty to NOT advocate one form of religion? Does this person's actions, as a representative of that government, not interfere with that?

You're daft.

You're out of your mind.
A person can advocate whatever the fuck they want as long as they practice objectivity according the law in their respective government jobs. Are you saying that all judges are required to be religiously neutral on a personal level? Are you saying all government officials need to be?

The rights of the people are being protected. If this judge infringes on the rights of somebody because he rules according to the bible and not according to US law, then he is in the wrong and everyone will support his removal and punishment.

Monk

Banned
DaMan121 said:
Or you set up a sytem with checks and balances and nobody has to die.

Kind of like the war on Iraq? Vietnam? What about the people dying on the streets because of lack of devent health care?

In the end it is up to people as a whole to do right by others. Not what damn system of governmenmt there is.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Are you saying that all judges are required to be religiously neutral on a personal level? Are you saying all government officials need to be?
Putting something in a courthouse, an inherently PUBLIC institution, is HARDLY personal.

olimario

Banned
Hitokage said:
If you want to get nitpicky technical on this, it depends on the sect. Oh, and make sure you aren't thinking of confucianism. :p

And a court declaring the Ten Commandments to be the source of American law, a claim which is utterly absurd unless you wanted to realign where executive power comes from, isn't endorsement?

Was it an official court ruling made law, or the view of a judge off the record? You're right... It is an absurb view, but not a view that infringes on the rights of the citizens. Like I said in my reply to RD, "The rights of the people are being protected. If this judge infringes on the rights of somebody because he rules according to the bible and not according to US law, then he is in the wrong and everyone will support his removal and punishment."
Hitokage said:
Oh, of course. I'm just an evil PERSECUTOR OF CHRISTIANS. That's my true motive, and I must do my part in Christ vs. The World. Fuck you. The freedom that protects my beliefs is the same freedom that protects christians, and the only people who don't have anything to lose by taking that away are the ruling class.

It may not actually be that way, but you sure do your part to make it seem that way. If you read my posts I'm in full support of religious freedom and religious tolerance. I would be the first to jump on the government if they were to enact a law setting Christianity any higher than any other religion in this country.

Hitokage said:
Putting something in a courthouse, an inherently PUBLIC institution, is HARDLY personal.

It absolutely is. It's his right to voice his views publically. As long as he doesn't let those personal views that conflict with US law enter his courtroom and effect his judgement, it's fine.

Triumph

Banned
olimario said:
You're out of your mind.
A person can advocate whatever the fuck they want as long as they practice objectivity according the law in their respective government jobs. Are you saying that all judges are required to be religiously neutral on a personal level? Are you saying all government officials need to be?

The rights of the people are being protected. If this judge infringes on the rights of somebody because he rules according to the bible and not according to US law, then he is in the wrong and everyone will support his removal and punishment.
No, you stubborn Bible thumper. I'm saying DON'T PUT A RELIGOUS SYMBOL UP IN YOUR PLACE OF WORK IF YOU WORK FOR THE FUCKING GOVERNMENT.

ENGLISH MOTHERFUCKER, DO YOU UNDERSTAND IT?

olimario

Banned
Raoul Duke said:
No, you stubborn Bible thumper. I'm saying DON'T PUT A RELIGOUS SYMBOL UP IN YOUR PLACE OF WORK IF YOU WORK FOR THE FUCKING GOVERNMENT.

ENGLISH MOTHERFUCKER, DO YOU UNDERSTAND IT?

Why? We have the freedom to do so. MY DAD HAS WORN A CHRISTIAN T-SHIRT TO WORK AT NASA BEFORE! HE HAS THE RIGHT TO DO THAT, YOU KNOW!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
And that is the same mistake certain republican bastards have made. Those who aren't explicitly supporting you are against you. Because I vehemently oppose courts claiming authority from the christian god, I'm against christianity and christians.

Monk

Banned
Raoul Duke said:
I'm saying DON'T PUT A RELIGOUS SYMBOL UP IN YOUR PLACE OF WORK IF YOU WORK FOR THE FUCKING GOVERNMENT.

What if it was Iraq, where the church and state is not separated?

olimario

Banned
Hitokage said:
And that is the same mistake certain republican bastards have made. Those who aren't explicitly supporting you are against you. Because I vehemently oppose courts claiming authority from the christian god, I'm against christianity and christians.

The court hardly claims this. Like I said, if they made a ruling that was in line with the Bible and out of line with US law they would be fired and everyone would be in support of it.

The statue is a reflection of Christian beliefs, but those beliefs aren't imposed on US citizens and those beliefs, when out of line with US law, are not allowed to effect the court's ruling.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
It absolutely is. It's his right to voice his views publically. As long as he doesn't let those personal views that conflict with US law enter his courtroom and effect his judgement, it's fine.
Do you even comprehend what you are saying? The judge is using his position as an official of the state to do this, speaking AS the state. THE STATE. GOVERNMENT. LAW.

Triumph

Banned
olimario
I am not a racist, but I play one on the Internet, and 3 out of 4 racist agree that black people like watermelons.

That says it all really.

I'm going to try one more time.

Ok, say you have a man who believes in a religion that advocates eating children. This man just SO HAPPENS to be a school teacher. Should he be allowed to bring his religous trappings to his work place amongst the children? Am I getting through to you? Is there anything to get through to? I wonder, I really wonder.

You know kid, if I had the time, money and drugs, I would drive to Houston or Friendsville or wherethefuckever you live, abduct you, dose you with about one liquid ounce of LSD, and make you watch all sorts of liberal propaganda and satanist films. Just for shits and giggles.

olimario

Banned
Hitokage said:
Do you even comprehend what you are saying? The judge is using his position as an official of the state to do this, speaking AS the state. THE STATE. GOVERNMENT. LAW.

To do what? The personal view of a judge isn't law because it isn't enforced.

Triumph

Banned
olimario said:
To do what? The personal view of a judge isn't law because it isn't enforced.
TACIT.FUCKING.APPROVAL.

Do you comprehend? If I am a muslim man going into the courtroom of a judge with the Ten Commandments on the wall, how comfortable am I going to feel? Flip it around on you: you are a Christian man, going into the courtroom of a judge with a Pentagram on the wall. How do you feel?

olimario

Banned
Raoul Duke said:
olimario
I am not a racist, but I play one on the Internet, and 3 out of 4 racist agree that black people like watermelons.

That says it all really.

I'm going to try one more time.

Ok, say you have a man who believes in a religion that advocates eating children. This man just SO HAPPENS to be a school teacher. Should he be allowed to bring his religous trappings to his work place amongst the children? Am I getting through to you? Is there anything to get through to? I wonder, I really wonder.

You know kid, if I had the time, money and drugs, I would drive to Houston or Friendsville or wherethefuckever you live, abduct you, dose you with about one liquid ounce of LSD, and make you watch all sorts of liberal propaganda and satanist films. Just for shits and giggles.

Your story is out of line with the issue at hand. He wouldn't be punished by law for doing so, but he would be fired from the school and possibly sued for emotionally scarring children. Would he win the lawsuit? Possibly.
You're making your views clear, but they aren't right.

Do you comprehend? If I am a muslim man going into the courtroom of a judge with the Ten Commandments on the wall, how comfortable am I going to feel? Flip it around on you: you are a Christian man, going into the courtroom of a judge with a Pentagram on the wall. How do you feel?

Are we protecting feelings or rights, Raoul? Making somebody feel uncomfortable isn't against the law and is a personal problem of the person effected.

What if it's well established that the judge is a Christian, but he has no crosses up in his courtroom. Won't the muslim man on trial, knowing the judge is a Christian, still feel uncomfortable.

Raoul Duke said:
TACIT.FUCKING.APPROVAL.

Why do you bother to use logic with the boy? Just verbally abuse him like everyone else and move on.

Triumph

Banned
olimario said:
Your story is out of line with the issue at hand. He wouldn't be punished by law for doing so, but he would be fired from the school and possibly sued for emotionally scarring children. Would he win the lawsuit? Possibly.
You're making your views clear, but they aren't right.
Uh, no, they ARE right. Just because you've been raised to believe you're right doesn't make you right, you intractable spoiled brat. THE SUPREME COURT HAS INTERPRETED THE LAW, REPEATEDLY, TO MEAN THAT THERE SHALL BE NO OVERT OR TACIT APPROVAL OF RELIGION BY THE GOVERMENT. Like a judge posting the Ten Commandments.

Idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom