• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Hardy to be the new James Bond?

Hardy has legit never looked short in any film, look at him as Bane, but suddenly the people who make Bond will have him looking like a manlet... what? Great actor, would be a great Bond but as others said the director/script is more important for Bond films lately, as good as Craig is he's given us turds like SPECTER. The UK citizen stuff is so dumb, you guys realize Connery was Scottish, right? He was literally the first Bond. Also... I'm gonna say he didn't look massive and Roger Moore has the most Bond movies and LOL at the idea that he was some intimidating guy, nevermind Pierce Brosnan! Holy shit what a weakling!

Woo-Fu

Banned
Hardy looks like a midget next to Charlize Theron in Fury Road.

Think I'd go with Richard Madden, particularly when he gets just a bit older. Course he's only 5'10".

Last edited:
Hardy has legit never looked short in any film, look at him as Bane, but suddenly the people who make Bond will have him looking like a manlet... what? Great actor, would be a great Bond but as others said the director/script is more important for Bond films lately, as good as Craig is he's given us turds like SPECTER. The UK citizen stuff is so dumb, you guys realize Connery was Scottish, right? He was literally the first Bond. Also... I'm gonna say he didn't look massive and Roger Moore has the most Bond movies and LOL at the idea that he was some intimidating guy, nevermind Pierce Brosnan! Holy shit what a weakling!
Connery - 6'2"

Moore - 6'1"

Brosnan - 6'1"

deafmedal

Think I'd go with Richard Madden, particularly when he gets just a bit older
Has he done anything really good since GoT? I remember seeing him in a couple things but unlike someone like, say Pattinson he didn’t wow me outside of his pop culture zeitgeist role.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Has he done anything really good since GoT? I remember seeing him in a couple things but unlike someone like, say Pattinson he didn’t wow me outside of his pop culture zeitgeist role.
He was pretty good in Bodyguard, got a Golden Globe for it. He can do what I think of as "the Bond look". I think Theo James might be able to pull it off too, he's 6ft.

Last edited:

deafmedal

He was pretty good in Bodyguard, got a Golden Globe for it. He can do what I think of as "the Bond look". I think Theo James might be able to pull it off too, he's 6ft.
Correct me if I’m wrong but it looks like a BBC show that Netflix picked up? I might have to give it a whirl, most Netflix originals don’t get the time of day from me unless vetted by people with similar tastes. Hell, I gloss over almost everything with the Netflix banner...

Ememee

All this talk about height just has me thinking of how they brushed it under the carpet with RDJ and Iron Man for over a decade.

dan76

Craig was an awful Bond, the guy has no personality and was a nightmare on set from what I've heard. Tom Hardy should be a good choice so long as they make his Bond a bit lighter. Bring back some humour.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I wish they would pick an indian or Hong Kong actor. Mostly because I think that with a white male bond they will perpetually be trying to emasculate him or score woke points but with a suave and dominant asian actor they could return to the lady killer Bond era and stop trying to come up with female characters to compete with him.

Tesseract

Banned
yeah it's a weird thing, he's always had a tremendous presence

mad max, rises, legend, bronson, whatever

Mossybrew

Gold Member
I love Tom Hardy but he'd be too similar, a compact aging bruiser. Need something different - or maybe more back to basics - after all these years.

sol_bad

If ya'll wanna see some good Tom Hardy acting, watch a film called Locke.
It's basically about a driving in a car and talking to people on the phone for an hour and a half.
He carries the whole film and is great in it.

I disagree. Nolan does his worst work when he has to stick to the laws of our reality and linear storytelling. I think he'd be too hamstrung by the Bond universe.

Wooden actor. No charisma. Looks like a fanny. Unbelievable as a womaniser. I could continue. Clive Owen should have got the job. Much better actor and he can do phenomenal work (Closer, Children of Men).

Love Clive Owen too old for Bond now obv but he did a pretty awesome TV show called The Knick.

Can't even think of a young British actor to play Bond. Tom Hardy would be an interesting choice at the very least though seems too working class, but I would be very interested to see how that turned out. He was exceptional in Warrior.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrS

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I disagree. Nolan does his worst work when he has to stick to the laws of our reality and linear storytelling. I think he'd be too hamstrung by the Bond universe.

Wooden actor. No charisma. Looks like a fanny. Unbelievable as a womaniser. I could continue. Clive Owen should have got the job. Much better actor and he can do phenomenal work (Closer, Children of Men).
Craig has also aged like milk. The dude has aged twenty years in the last 10. Hasn't he had some plastic surgery to cope with it? Thought I saw that somewhere.

Reactions: MrS
Hardy has legit never looked short in any film, look at him as Bane, but suddenly the people who make Bond will have him looking like a manlet... what? Great actor, would be a great Bond but as others said the director/script is more important for Bond films lately, as good as Craig is he's given us turds like SPECTER. The UK citizen stuff is so dumb, you guys realize Connery was Scottish, right? He was literally the first Bond. ...

You do realise Scotland is part of the UK right?

MrS

Banned
Love Clive Owen too old for Bond now obv but he did a pretty awesome TV show called The Knick.

Can't even think of a young British actor to play Bond. Tom Hardy would be an interesting choice at the very least though seems too working class, but I would be very interested to see how that turned out. He was exceptional in Warrior.
I'd like to see Cavill take a stab at it but I'm afraid his path down the Netflix route is going to significantly damage his star power/box office draw when it comes to being offered Bond.

I'd like to see Cavill take a stab at it but I'm afraid his path down the Netflix route is going to significantly damage his star power/box office draw when it comes to being offered Bond.

I like Henry, not actually seen him in anything but seems like a dude.

But surely he's too chiselled/buff?

MrS

Banned

Maybe! There's a dearth of good young British actors though. It's slim pickings, really. People have bandied around James Norton and Richard Madden but they're a pair of posh cunts.

Craig was no slouch in that department.

1_MAIN-Daniel-Craig.jpg

And Connery was a former Mr Universe competitor. Though I'm not sure how many planets had entrants.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Craig was no slouch in that department.

1_MAIN-Daniel-Craig.jpg

And Connery was a former Mr Universe competitor. Though I'm not sure how many planets had entrants.
Bond didn't get the girls because he was buff. Bond got the girls because he was suave and charming as fuck. Craig had no natural charisma so they had to compensate with his physique.

Top Bottom