• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Henderson: New PS5 with detachable disc drive test kit in people's hands, "works flawlessly"

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
If they released a new DE ps5 and the drive isn't backwards compatible with the old DE Sony would be shitting on every current DE owner, are they that stupid?
I mean you’re not serious here right?

If it’s a troll post I will admit you got me :)

Laugh Reaction GIF by GIPHY News

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I bought a DE to be free from dated optical media. Why the hell would I care about an upcoming disc drive not working with my machine? lol
exactly. People who bought DE knew what they were doing. There was never a hope that disc drive would be released.
I can't believe there will be many customers who regret going DE and will want a disc drive.

I am all physical but still

marquimvfs

I can't believe there will be many customers who regret going DE and will want a disc drive.
Not only regret, that I belive is not only possible, but probable. But imagine getting one as a gift and having an immense PS4 physical backlog... down the line, you could ditch the PS4 in favour of a disk drive.

dcx4610

It's a slick way to make the digital version the primary version of the PS5. Imagine a parent buying a PS5 and are told they have to buy a disc drive on top of it if they want to play discs. Some will just saw screw and go digital.

Sony and Microsoft WANT an all digital future. It's less overhead for them and they fully control the delivery of the software. Even though I'm against it, it's a brilliant move and way to push that future forward by Sony.

LiquidRex

Thats what I am hearing will be the buzzword to sell these pro machine, their performance in ray tracing and not overall teraflops this time.
If you recall there was a patent by Mark Cerny that drop in February last year that described a unique way of accelerated Ray Tracing.

Mark Cerny said ray tracing is the “third era” of video games in a 15-minute interview given in November 2021.

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

If you recall there was a patent by Mark Cerny that drop in February last year that described a unique way of accelerated Ray Tracing.

Mark Cerny said ray tracing is the “third era” of video games in a 15-minute interview given in November 2021.
link to article. cant find it

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
This will be a horrible move, there will be landfills filled with these disc drives.

As opposed to the millions and millions of manufactured disk drives that will never be used in every non digital ps5? Right......

Such as what exactly? Genuinely curious. 👍🏻
His “leaked” performance targets for RDNA 3, claiming the ray-tracing performance was going to be 3x and the same with raster. He even at one point suggested Lovelace might struggle against RDNA 3 in RT performance.

His leaks on the PS5 have also been mostly wrong, he stated that the PS5’s CPU has a unified L3 cache which was flat out wrong, he also claimed that the PS5’s Geometry Engine was influenced by RDNA 3 or I think it was the other way around, yet there’s almost no evidence to support this even after AMD released the in-depth architectural details of RDNA 3.

I can go on and on…not saying we should completely dismiss him but I’d take his leaks with extreme caution.

EDMIX

His “leaked” performance targets for RDNA 3, claiming the ray-tracing performance was going to be 3x and the same with raster. He even at one point suggested Lovelace might struggle against RDNA 3 in RT performance.

His leaks on the PS5 have also been mostly wrong, he stated that the PS5’s CPU has a unified L3 cache which was flat out wrong, he also claimed that the PS5’s Geometry Engine was influenced by RDNA 3 or I think it was the other way around, yet there’s almost no evidence to support this even after AMD released the in-depth architectural details of RDNA 3.

I can go on and on…not saying we should completely dismiss him but I’d take his leaks with extreme caution.

Agreed. Thats how I treat him tbh

reinking

Gold Member
I take all leaks with extreme caution.

Is anyone with a current PS5 going slim? I can't imagine why I would at this point. I doubt I will even go to a Pro unless it offers significant improvements (especially to VR). I'm already in for 2x PS5 and 1x PSVR2 so far this generation with a very good chance of adding another PSVR2 after launch.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Is anyone with a current PS5 going slim? I can't imagine why I would at this point. I doubt I will even go to a Pro unless it offers significant improvements (especially to VR). I'm already in for 2x PS5 and 1x PSVR2 so far this generation with a very good chance of adding another PSVR2 after launch.
MIGHT get 1 slim to replace a PS5 I have on my main desk if its considerably smaller

I am all in on pro models and would need a few of each the Xbox and PS variants

Putonahappyface

Gold Member

I'll upgrade to a pro variant but I'm not getting rid of my ps5 just for a smaller version. As for psvr2 it needs more games for me to bite otherwise it'll just sit in the box collecting dust.

I saw a video that the new models won't use liquid metal anymore.

If that's true enoy the dry thermal paste Paste after one or two years.

Like always Sony will use the cheapest garbage thermal paste available.

They went out their way to ensure the PS5 had an effective cooling solution which remains whisper quite even under heavy operation, impressive when you take into account the clock speeds and how much of a massive improvement it is over the PS4 and Pro.

I'm sure they'll keep that consistency with the slim revision and use a reliable and effective cooling solution but it could just be wishful thinking on my side.

TrebleShot

So about x2/3 RT perf on these pro models would mean the Callisto RT mode in 60 fps? That would be great.
I assume there would be a significant boost to rasterisation perf too.

Native 4k 60 games outdo be great

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
AMD are just shite at Raytracing. They need something special to fix it. I'm all for it.

Ill trade my PS5 pro in for a Pro at a heart beat though.

LordOfChaos

PS5 Pro will be 2.5 to 3x the Ray Tracing power to that of the vanilla consoles. Later form of RDNA 3 Ray Tracing. Apparently.

It would be smart if there was a way to combine the RT and performance modes into one with the Pro. RT without sacrificing resolution or 60fps is probably the main selling point a Pro console could do.

Other than that it barely feels like we're making the current systems sweat and only a small number of games have really leaned into the SSD architectures. I don't feel the need for Pros until middle of gen which should be ~2024. These first two years feel like barely scratching the surface, apart from the RT perf impact.

ksdixon

Am I the only one sorta hoping for a mini fleet of "here's the PS1/2/3/4 bc disc drive" accessories for did based BC?

They can already wrap the digital games in an emulation wrapper and present them as "PS4" games.

Banjo64

cumsessed
PS4 slim reduced wattage from 150w to 80w - hoping for similar results here. Get rid of the alien whack job curvy design language and give us something sexy like the PS4 Slim. I need something small and compact and discrete for my desk.

chilichote

I don't understand why anyone would even think that a possible PS5 Slim should have more power... PSone Slim didn't have more, PS2 Slim didn't have more, PS3 Slim didn't have more and neither did the PS4 Slim... I am a bit confused who expected something different^^

onQ123

I don't understand why anyone would even think that a possible PS5 Slim should have more power... PSone Slim didn't have more, PS2 Slim didn't have more, PS3 Slim didn't have more and neither did the PS4 Slim... I am a bit confused who expected something different^^
Just the media trying to get clicks on their websites making news out of nothing.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Early in 2022 the PS5 Pro rumors fired up about getting released holiday 2023 and a pretty credible leaker said some devs already had PS5 Pro devkits in hand so naturally many thought this redesigned PS5 could be the Pro

chilichote

Early in 2022 the PS5 Pro rumors fired up about getting released holiday 2023 and a pretty credible leaker said some devs already had PS5 Pro devkits in hand so naturally many thought this redesigned PS5 could be the Pro
I'm not going to disagree and I'm sure there will be a PS5 Pro too - but this is rumored to be about a new variant of the PS5, with a focus on the detachable disc drive, so I don't get it. Sony has always released new variants that have not changed in terms of performance, which were designed to reduce costs.

You'll know better than me, but I assume there will be a Slim AND a Pro^^

Exactly I wouldn't advise anyone to buy a playstation 5 using thermal paste. Those will inevitably turn into a jet engine in a few years. Something current PS5s won't.

But I highly doubt this will be the case as the liquid metal allows them to use less copper and a smaller fan so they actually save money. The liquid metal is not expensive on its own. What was expensive was the 2 years of RD to design and test it. Now that they have the technology they would be stupid not to use it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom