• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Slim deactivates its detachable disc drive upon a Full-System Reset, thus requiring you to go online again to play discs

Status
Not open for further replies.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I really hate this progression. I'm digital on modern consoles, but only because I don't have to phone home once I have the game on my system. Anything that changes that requirement is an automatic "never buying it" for me.

What are you going to do if all games end up like this?

On.a side note, if you buy the version with the drive (let's say on sale or no digital variant available) and remove the drive, does it then look identical to the digital? (I assume it would, just making sure no weird holes or anything) I mean I know the digital is designed to accept add on drive, but is the disk version designed to remove the drive as well. (Again I assume it would so.they only have one model to manufacture)

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
What are you going to do if all games end up like this?

On.a side note, if you buy the version with the drive (let's say on sale or no digital variant available) and remove the drive, does it then look identical to the digital? (I assume it would, just making sure no weird holes or anything) I mean I know the digital is designed to accept add on drive, but is the disk version designed to remove the drive as well. (Again I assume it would so.they only have one model to manufacture)

I will not be buying games, then. It's honestly that simple for me, and it's the same way I approach movies that are only available through streaming. I might watch them if they're on Netflix, but I'm sure as shit not going to shell out to "own" a copy. Either way, though, I don't place much importance on digital content that I can't retain some semblance of control over.

Fabieter

They are playing with one of the last benefits to pc gaming right here. I dont think it's as smart as they think it is in the long run.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I will not be buying games, then. It's honestly that simple for me, and it's the same way I approach movies that are only available through streaming. I might watch them if they're on Netflix, but I'm sure as shit not going to shell out to "own" a copy. Either way, though, I don't place much importance on digital content that I can't retain some semblance of control over.

Well I guess you have the subscription services then. I mean if your talking long term fear of ownership, one, you don't own games you only license them and two, if it's 20 years later, you likely could just emulate them down the road and feel good about it since you paid to play them.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Well I guess you have the subscription services then. I mean if your talking long term fear of ownership, one, you don't own games you only license them and two, if it's 20 years later, you likely could just emulate them down the road and feel good about it since you paid to play them.

This whole "you don't own games" is such a nonsense argument. You do own them. You aren't -legally- allowed to modify them, but functionally? You own them. And even the questions around being able to modify them are on tenuous ground given the direction of law right now, particularly in the EU.

Applying the same logic companies are using with games to a physical disc drive highlights the absurdity of it all.

When that thing happen, you will be looking at the ps5 disk same way you look at cassette.

Also, you can always just fix the lense or the drive. Just like ... You know.... What you do ever since the PlayStation 1.

Honestly people are crazy sometimes..
we dont know how repairable the external disc drive is yet (i.e., how internal modifications may affect its pairing with the ps5).
swapping a lens or capacitor is probably fine, but other components like a circuit board (all common ps1 issues) could affect pairing.

if it were like a ps1 no one would be talking about this in the first place.
or we could just bend over, spread em and take it.

BootsLoader

Banned
But…b…but I thought 90% of gamers prefer digital over retail, it’s the future it’s 103848 times better than retail, you don’t have to buy discs which will brake in 30 years etc.

-Zelda-

Banned
Dislike Do Not Want GIF by MOODMAN

A lot of this stuff sounds like people scared of what happens to their investments if the bottom falls out of the dollar Weimar Germany style. Don't worry about your investments, worry about the amount of non-perishable food, potable water, and ammunition you have on-hand.

If the Internet turns off you have far bigger problems to worry about than your vidyagames.

Fbh

Who gives a shit...

But what if in 20 years there's no more PSN and I want to play the 1.0 unpatched version of FFXVI in glorious 720p 45fps (instead of the PC version or the very likely port/backwards compatible version on a future console) and the only way to do so is on a Ps5 slim that got factory reset and put in a storage and never turned on (even after Sony announced PSN was going down)

Sushi_Combo

But what if in 20 years there's no more PSN and I want to play the 1.0 unpatched version of FFXVI in glorious 720p 45fps (instead of the PC version or the very likely port/backwards compatible version on a future console) and the only way to do so is on a Ps5 slim that got factory reset and put in a storage and never turned on (even after Sony announced PSN was going down)
Ps3's activation servers are still online 17 years and counting. We'll see if anything changes in the next few years.

Fbh

Ps3's activation servers are still online 17 years and counting. We'll see if anything changes in the next few years.

Yeah we'll have to see.
But also with Ps3 the concern at least would make more sense because it's from a time when lots of games didn't get ported to PC and it used weird custom hardware which made future Sony consoles unable to have backwards compatibility. So there's actually lots of games trapped on PS3 (though emulation is getting decent).
These days though, with pretty much everything coming to PC sooner or later and with standard hardware that should make backwards compatibility easier in the future? I think people are exaggerating.
If some imaginary cyber attack made the disc drive of every Ps4 and Xb1 in the world stop working tomorrow...which game would be lost to history and become unplayable?

Oh and also for the games which aren't trapped on Ps3, let's be honest, does anyone really want to play their original release instead of the PC ports and/or remasters? You want to go play Dragons Dogma on Ps3 at like 20 fps 720p with the black bar letterboxing instead of virtually any other version of the game?

Sushi_Combo

Yeah we'll have to see.
But also with Ps3 the concern at least would make more sense because it's from a time when lots of games didn't get ported to PC and it used weird custom hardware which made future Sony consoles unable to have backwards compatibility. So there's actually lots of games trapped on PS3 (though emulation is getting decent).
These days though, with pretty much everything coming to PC sooner or later and with standard hardware that should make backwards compatibility easier in the future? I think people are exaggerating.
If some imaginary cyber attack made the disc drive of every Ps4 and Xb1 in the world stop working tomorrow...which game would be lost to history and become unplayable?

Oh and also for the games which aren't trapped on Ps3, let's be honest, does anyone really want to play their original release instead of the PC ports and/or remasters? You want to go play Dragons Dogma on Ps3 at like 20 fps 720p with the black bar letterboxing instead of virtually any other version of the game?
Ehh, it takes some time to adjust but I still get a kick playing Killzone 2 even with all its flaws. Still enjoyable for me. It would be nice for a remaster but I'll take what I have.

Hey guys, did you know if you re-partition your hard drive you have to REINSTALL YOUR OS
Bingo!

Thread is stupid.
you are delusional and coping, re-partitioning a hdd doesnt require internet. computers are open platforms and not limited so there are no issues there. the facts is when the servers are shut by sony then the drive wont work due to needing internet.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Seriously, it's even worst than expected, fuck you Sony, with my best regards.

Reasonable to lose completely access to your physical library, yes very reasonable, especially once activation servers will inevitably goes offline.
So don't buy a PS5 with a removable disk drive. There is no real way they can have this work without an online check whenever a drive is connected to a 'new' playstation. This is as unobtrusive as you could ever hope it to be.

S0ULZB0URNE

you are delusional and coping, re-partitioning a hdd doesnt require internet. computers are open platforms and not limited so there are no issues there. the facts is when the servers are shut by sony then the drive wont work due to needing internet.
It does to download your games etc and it might require internet when the PS5 sets it up.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
But…b…but I thought 90% of gamers prefer digital over retail, it’s the future it’s 103848 times better than retail, you don’t have to buy discs which will brake in 30 years etc.
How is someone even going to play their old discs on new consoles if the new systems dont even have optical drives at some point? Keep every old console? Sony and MS are already doing optical and digital only systems. They are waiting for the right time to go all digital like PC. My new laptop doesn't even have an optical drive.

With digital, as long as the system has BC like a PC the game can be carried forward. Weve already got a taste as tons of 360 games work on Xbox S/X. Assuming Sony/MS dont totally change the architecture, these old ass games from Xbox/PS4 can keep carrying over to PS6, PS7 etc...

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Jokes on you but which disc version I can fight 1.0 radahn in Elden ring for whatever reason. I have the same game as I would have digitally but with more functionality and for cheaper.
This might be a problem on slim in 30 years but we still have fats around

Fbh

Jokes on you but which disc version I can fight 1.0 radahn in Elden ring for whatever reason. I have the same game as I would have digitally but with more functionality and for cheaper.
This might be a problem on slim in 30 years but we still have fats around

I mean sure if you are the sort of person that instead of playing whatever modern version of Elden Ring will be available in 30 years would rather play an unpatched 1.0 version of it without the upcoming DLC, none of the improvements from newer updates and at 1440p (or whatever it was) and 40-60 fps on an OG Ps5. Then yeah, I guess I can see how this an issue.

It's not that I don't support physical games, I like and buy physical and I hope it sticks around mostly because it gives customers more options: The option to resell and/or trade, the option to lend/borrow, the option to choose from various vendors instead of being locked into a monopoly, etc.
But this whole thing about making a massive deal over potentially not being able to pair a disc drive in 20 years just seems overblown to me. Partially because the way the industry is going I think every (relevant) current gen game will be available on future hardware and also because I doubt any significant number of people will really want to go play the 1.0 version of these games on Ps5 vs the easier, more convenient and probably superior option of playing it on future hardware.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I mean sure if you are the sort of person that instead of playing whatever modern version of Elden Ring will be available in 30 years would rather play an unpatched 1.0 version of it without the upcoming DLC, none of the improvements from newer updates and at 1440p (or whatever it was) and 40-60 fps on an OG Ps5. Then yeah, I guess I can see how this an issue.

It's not that I don't support physical games, I like and buy physical and I hope it sticks around mostly because it gives customers more options: The option to resell and/or trade, the option to lend/borrow, the option to choose from various vendors instead of being locked into a monopoly, etc.
But this whole thing about making a massive deal over potentially not being able to pair a disc drive in 20 years just seems overblown to me. Partially because the way the industry is going I think every (relevant) current gen game will be available on future hardware and also because I doubt any significant number of people will really want to go play the 1.0 version of these games on Ps5 vs the easier, more convenient and probably superior option of playing it on future hardware.
People are doing this today. Speed running disc 1.0 versions of games. Let alone in 20 years I would gues a

Monokrom

Sony’s must to do this because DMCA laws which aim to combat piracy. Section 1201 of the US law states that "1201, makes it unlawful to circumvent technological measures used to prevent unauthorized access to copyrighted works, including copyrighted books, movies, video games, and computer software."

God bless America or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom