• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Henderson: New PS5 with detachable disc drive test kit in people's hands, "works flawlessly"

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Ditch the plastic and go digital people.
John Candy No GIF by Laff

fart town usa

Gold Member
I'm still not sure what the point of this thing is....unless they are getting rid of the digital only console and selling the optional one alongside the stock disc drive version. That would make sense to me but not sure if that's the plan.

My PS5 allows discs. I feel like you'd have to be crazy to willingly go without the drive. That being said, I buy most of my games digital but I still want to be able to play physical games and watch physical 4k discs. To each their own.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I'm still not sure what the point of this thing is....unless they are getting rid of the digital only console and selling the optional one alongside the stock disc drive version. That would make sense to me but not sure if that's the plan.

My PS5 allows discs. I feel like you'd have to be crazy to willingly go without the drive. That being said, I buy most of my game digital but I still want to be able to play physical games and watch physical 4k discs. To each their own.

Not really at this point your just making things up.

You will have the one SKU and then a disk drive that you can buy separately.

That's how it's going to work and depending on if you want disks or not then the total price will change.

No, you're are not paying attention the the market right now, and not actually thinking about about the issue involved.

If you want to believe assuming this ends up being real that this PS5 is going to be $399 or other country PS5D price and replace the $499 PS5, and that the add-on will just make this PS5 the same price as the current one, that is very optimistic.

I literally never once thought about detaching my hard drive from my ps5 at any point in time. Wtf is the point of this? 😂
Edit - I saw Tom the Bombs explanation for it, and again I ask, wtf is the point of this?

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned

"works flawlessly"​

Slow news day? I'd certainly hope 30-40 year old tech works pretty well.

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Would make sense to finally shrink the console down to be even smaller and lighter in order to bring costs down further. Maybe a smaller GPU/CPU?

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I’m all for saving money, because I’m old and have a shit ton of bills now….but how does it REALLY save Sony money?…come on now
In manufacturing, costs come down by volume of orders. This allows them to put in a lot more orders for one unified system, significantly cutting costs.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
But how big is it going to be? Like, physically?

Getting these kinds of vibes
41-Iu1J5unL_4aab5355-6724-4d4a-9db1-4a7c601938d1.jpg

truth411

wonder if it’s something that'llwork with existing digital console.
Wouldn't this effectively be a price increase? PS5 with disc drive discontinued. Redesigned PS5 digital priced at perhaps $499.99; USB Disc drive "Packaged" for $549.

No more $399 PS5 Digital, because all PS5s are effectively digital that can come with a USB Disc Drive?

Hope not but sadly seems the way its gonna go.

The moment consoles don't have physical drives at all is the moment I switch to pc completely for the better performance and far better market environment vs closed garden bs.
Right there with you there a would literally be no reason for me tos tick to console at thay point

Digital is great and I love getting some of my games on the PSN store but I cannot imagine being fully dependent on the prices they have listed. Dark Souls 3 is 60 bucks on PSN for just the base game vs 25 bucks for the complete edition on Amazon. Sure I could wait on a sale but if I wanted to play it now I'd be cursing myself for buying a digital only console.

Having a detachable drive gives gamers another buying option.

Last edited:
It's crazy how many people don't get the point of this. Or maybe they're faking that they don't?

This just makes production much easier and cheaper, as you're only making one console, with one form. It also makes shipping new consoles cheaper, as that is done by weight, and the new consoles will be much lighter and smaller. They'll probably only have to get out 50% as many drives as there are consoles, since not everyone will want one, where now they are effectively paying to ship drives with most of their consoles.

If there is a future Pro model, it also allows them to focus on making it smaller (cheaper to produce and ship) and without the disk drive, they probably can get it a little cheaper, as well. I really see a PS5 Slim for $399 and a Pro for $499, with the detachable drive, which can work on either model, being $50-$100.

Last edited:
No, you're are not paying attention the the market right now, and not actually thinking about about the issue involved.

If you want to believe assuming this ends up being real that this PS5 is going to be $399 or other country PS5D price and replace the $499 PS5, and that the add-on will just make this PS5 the same price as the current one, that is very optimistic.

I don't believe your correct about then raking advantage of consumers by charging more for a new model of the system. Like Tom said its to cut costs and will most likely end up being priced the same. They are not going to charge 600$ for the base model and then sell the drive separately for 150$.

The leaks don't support what your saying.

Unlike you I understand perfectly what the objective here is.

This just makes production much easier and cheaper, as you're only making one console, with one form. It also makes shipping new consoles cheaper, as that is done by weight, and the new consoles will be much lighter and smaller. They'll probably only have to get out 50% as many drives as there are consoles, since not everyone will want one, where now they are effectively paying to ship drives with most of their consoles.

Explained it better than I could. Thank you.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

It's crazy how many people don't get the point of this. Or maybe they're faking that they don't?

If there is a future Pro model, it also allows them to focus on making it smaller (cheaper to produce and ship) and without the disk drive, they probably can get it a little cheaper, as well. I really see a PS5 Slim for $399 and a Pro for $499, with the detachable drive, which can work on either model, being $50-$100.
My only disagreement with this is the Pro model.

When they do it, it better have a disk drive. I don't care if it's 550-600 USD - the whole point is for it to be premium. Everything and more in the package. Skimping on a disk drive just isn't right for that.

Topher

Gold Member

I don't think anything is crazy when we haven't seen it yet. Right off the bat when I see "detachable drive" then no, sorry but I don't get the point. When I see it maybe it will click. I get your point about making it smaller, cheaper and the potential for a Pro model. All that makes sense and I'm for it, but I have doubts about the drive. Nothing wrong with a healthy bit of doubt, imo.

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

disk drive cant cost more than $89 if they are going to keep the 499 price tag.

i think the PS5 will go with $399 and a $99 disk drive

nial

Gold Member
That means Sony will be selling the slim PS5 without a drive for 400$
The same price as the current digital PS5? That wouldn't make any sense.
Edit: Is everyone here really forgetting that slim consoles are supposed to be smaller and cheaper? In North America it will cost $300.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

I don't think anything is crazy when we haven't seen it yet. Right off the bat when I see "detachable drive" then no, sorry but I don't get the point. When I see it maybe it will click. I get your point about making it smaller, cheaper and the potential for a Pro model. All that makes sense and I'm for it, but I have doubts about the drive. Nothing wrong with a healthy bit of doubt, imo.
The point is

1) it simplifies manufacturing and will allow Sony to make more units faster.

2) For the user, it offers a lower entry point. Currently, if you want a PS5 and simply the ability to maybe one day play a disc, you have to pay $500 upfront. With this new model, you will be able to pay $400 upfront for a PS5 and still have the option to buy a drive later if you want. This is not possible currently with the PS5 Digital Edition.

3) And it will offer the ability to replace just the drive if it fails, without needing to buy whole a new console.

The same price as the current digital PS5? That wouldn't make any sense.
Edit: Is everyone here really forgetting that slim consoles are supposed to be smaller and cheaper? In North America it will cost $300.

I would say that it's not out of the question it is $449. Hopefully it will also include double the storage space.

Def won't be less than $399.

Topher

Gold Member
The point is

1) it simplifies manufacturing and will allow Sony to make more units faster.

2) For the user, it offers a lower entry point. Currently, if you want a PS5 and simply the ability to maybe one day play a disc, you have to pay $500 upfront. With this new model, you will be able to pay $400 upfront for a PS5 and still have the option to buy a drive later if you want. This is not possible currently with the PS5 Digital Edition.

3) And it will offer the ability to replace just the drive if it fails, without needing to buy whole a new console.

There is a lot of details we are missing. We don't know price so we can't come to any conclusions there. We don't know how the detachable drive will be implemented. Hopefully it will be done in an attractive way with emphasis on ease of use. But we don't know that either. Just reserving judgement until I see it in its entirety.

I don't understand all the people in here that are so down with an all digital future.

Have you guys taken a look at digital prices? Often they are more expensive than retail. Doesn't it bother you that all you have to show for your money post purchase is a non transferrable digital licence? That you can no longer sell or trade in games?

I have played most of the big games released for the PS5. I keep the games I like the most but trade the others. I recently traded 4 - 5 PS5 games that I had finished and received £120 in store credit at a local retailer. I was then able to pick up GoW Ragnarok on launch along with a new controller.

I get the convenience argument in support of digital. I understand that there may occasionally be a good deal in an online marketplace sale. What I just don't get is people shitting on what is undeniably the cheapest and most consumer friendly way to play games short of subscription services. Hell, on numerous occasions I have purchased a full price game, completed it, then sold it a few weeks later for almost as much as it cost in the first place. I've been doing this for decades.

For me, I sometimes like to go into a video game store and look around. Call it nostalgic but an all digital future effectively 'Blockbusters' retail game stores. If they die, the second hand market dies. Then we are at the mercy of the publishers as to what we will pay. We will be locked into buying from the online marketplace. That means that there will be far less impetus to reduce the cost of offerings. We will all pay more. Ask yourself, is that really good for us consumers?

nial

Gold Member
Why would this be successful now when others have failed for various reasons in the past? Xbox HDDVD, 32x, Sega CD, etc.
????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

I honestly think some are straight up trolling

I could see this being the model moving forward not coming with a disk drive but giving us the option of adding one

Topher

Gold Member
I honestly think some are straight up trolling

I could see this being the model moving forward not coming with a disk drive but giving us the option of adding one

Maybe you and kyliethicc kyliethicc are right and I'm just being thick-headed. Perhaps I should be more open to this as having the option to add a drive is better than not having one at all. I guess part of me is expecting that to be the next step.

Maybe you and kyliethicc kyliethicc are right and I'm just being thick-headed. Perhaps I should be more open to this as having the option to add a drive is better than not having one at all. I guess part of me is expecting that to be the next step.

Disks are a huge part of consoles. But it's true they can shift to digital only systems. However as long as there's demand for physical copies I don't believe they will go away.

sendit

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Not you I know you are not trolling

I just think if they can roll one console off the assembly line and only have one set of packaging they will save costs then give us the choice if the console is all digital or if we want the disk drive

Like you have said it comes down to pricing as no way they can stay at $499 without the drive but I have a hard time seeing $399

Sony sure isn't doing it for us they just care about their bottom line

reinking

Gold Member
I do not think it will happen any time soon but it would be easy for Sony to limit or drop production of the drive and push people toward digital.

Top Bottom