• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Henderson - The next DOOM title believed to be called 'DOOM: The Dark Ages'

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Insider Gaming understands that the next game in the DOOM franchise is set to be revealed during this year’s Xbox Games Showcase on June 9.

The game, which has been under the codename/placeholder title ‘Year Zero’ is understood to have the final name ‘DOOM: The Dark Ages’ and has been in development for at least four years.

Last year, I heard of early details of the next entry into the DOOM franchise, which was described to me as a ‘medieval inspired doom world’. While that doesn’t necessarily give much information to go on, ‘year zero’, ‘the dark ages’, and ‘medieval inspired’ starts to paint a vivid picture of where the series could be going next. Perhaps we’ll be taking more of an early look at the Doomslayer’s life during the medieval times? A prequel of sorts?

Earlier this year, rumors began to swirl again about a new DOOM game, following Bethesda’s newly registered trademark, ‘IDKFA’, a well-known cheat code in the series. Last month, The Verge’s Tom Warren first teased that DOOM would be making its way to the Xbox Games Showcase, a rumor that we can now independently verify.

The DOOM series has been a tremendous success for Xbox and ID Software. In 2020, a LinkedIn description from an ID Software employee claimed that the game made over $450 million in revenue.

was mentioned in this thread, but he confirmed it here.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Doom meets Army of Darkness.

200w.gif

FUBARx89

They'll want money so no.

It's MS. They're dumb arses.

Despite Phil "used car salesman" Spencer saying long standing IP's won't go exclusive. I can imagine them making it a timed exclusive then wondering why it's sold shit. SE style.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
DOOM, but medieval? Sounds like Heretic or Hexen, which is very cool to me. Or maybe they wanted to do a gothic Quake but MS forced them to go with a DOOM game because of the recent success of those games?

Honestly, whatever they do, I bet it will be awesome.

MiguelItUp

Big DOOM fan, so I'm all about this. Though I admit, I was hoping for a reboot of Quake or something. I just hope the game contains a full package of content like 2016 did. Give me a good/great campaign, multiplayer, and something else. It'd be so amazing. I enjoyed Eternal for what it was, but that multiplayer was so abysmal and hardly populated it might as well not existed.
I’m guessing no Mick Gordon?
I personally don't think Mick is going to go back no matter the case. That whole thing was pretty dirty, and I don't know if it could ever be mended. But who knows?

MrRenegade

Report me if I continue to troll
Medieval inspired (hissss), the dark ages (wooooosh). 15 million units already sold. Very original, unique thoughts, unexpectedly new gameplay elements and mechanics. When will preorder start, I wanna be number one.

Oppoi

I am looking forward to another Doom. I am not looking forward to the threads that will be absolutely ruined by all you lemmings suckling for Phil Spencers cock. Hopefully MS won't fuck the actual game up too bad now that it's free to play day one on gamepass.

MiguelItUp

i have a feeling that the project started as a Hexen reboot then they changed it to a new Doom entry ... either way my body is ready
Yeah, Phil wearing a Heretic shirt of all things was a bit on the nose. But I could see them saying that IP isn't as hot or money making as DOOM. Insert standard "AAA" concerns, and here we are.

MiguelItUp

Quake getting robbed again
I wouldn't be surprised if they looked at Quake Champions and thought, "Welp, Quake isn't doing well, no one cares! Time for more DOOM!" Honestly, I was really excited about the possibility of revisiting Quake. There were rumors going around for a bit about a story in which Ranger never came out of a slipgate, and his daughter eventually going into said slipgate to find him. Didn't know how true it was/is, but it seemed believable with the lore that existed in Quake Champions.

Last edited:
Top Bottom