• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Henderson - The next DOOM title believed to be called 'DOOM: The Dark Ages'

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
No, not even close :).
How about it plays like something better than either without relying on arenas/gore nests, but more like ol’ DOOM ;)?
rFcW4Bf.gif

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I bet They are gonna retcon Quake to link into Doom Timeline. Then release a quake reboot after this game.

I bet as the game ends. Quake begins. That’s my guess.

Doom dark ages. Into Doom: Quake.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I wish we had a way to DISLIKE a post
Why? Truth may hurt. I read a post that said it IS coming to PS5 but not when. I would be surprised if a 1st party single-player game goes to PS5 day one. Same reason why PS5 games don't go to PC or Xbox day one (or at all). They have to have SOME reason to have an Xbox, and they are releasing a new console in two years. I could be wrong but I think MP games (GAAS) will be day and date and other games will be 6 months.

Astral Dog

Nah, I stand my ground on this one. Doom 3 was some other, entirely different kind of game trying to wear the franchise's name. I like my Doom to be Doom.

2016 fixed it after so many years lost in the wilderness.
I didn't played the DOOM series until the 2016 reboot , it was very good so i looked into the other games, DOOM 3 is atmospheric creepy at times but its kinda boring and a slog, also too dark lol ,the DLC is better

DOOM 2016 and Eternal are masterpieces imo,the first reminds me of Metroid Prime a little and the latter is Devil May Cry shooter on space

very interested to see what they do with the Dark Age, i thought they would be moving on after Eternal to other IP

RickMasters

i have a feeling that the project started as a Hexen reboot then they changed it to a new Doom entry ... either way my body is ready

I hope not. Hexen definitely deserves a reboot. Story mode could even have RPG-lite elements and the option to play it in co op. Maybe some story expansion DLC, to keep it interesting after beating the game? Some kind of horse mode, too.

And maybe some interesting objective-based-class based-PVP mode…. think of a medieval overwatch but with witches and mages and warlocks, and barbarians and knights…. And necromancers! Would be fucking awesome

Don’t care for it. I love the old Doom games. I like the rebooted Doom game, but for some reason I could not get into Doom Eternal. I played 1 hour, but it was just not that much fun, perhaps I should have give it more time, but there are just too many other good games out there…

JusticeForAll

Gold Member
Really enjoyed Doom reboot, but didn't enjoy Eternal all that much. The game game felt like busywork to me. Still looking forward to see what they come up with.

Last edited:

Apocryphon

Weapon design changes in Eternal (super shotgun, ballista, the visual design for the rocket launcher) and weapon additions (crucible and sentinel hammer), as well as a move away from futuristic military base locations to the world of Argent D’Nur signalled a change in direction for the series.

It’s hard to say whether The Dark Ages will be a direct continuation that follows on from The Ancient Gods Part 2 and is set in the future, or whether it will be a prequel set after Doom Guys arrival on Argent D’Nur after the events of Doom 64 and before he becomes the Doom Slayer.

Prior to the war with Hell, the Argenta fought “barbaric tribes” on Argent D’Nur during the ‘time of strife’. If they want to expand the lore, that’s a good way to do it. Though for me I’d even be happy to play as a new character and not the Doom Guy/Slayer.. though I fear they will retcon Quake and make us play as a Sentinel Knight named Ranger…

In my worst nightmares they take Doom medieval for the next decade and they bring Quake back in a couple of years and it’s not Cthulhu/Eldritch but it’s basically id Tech 8 Quake 2…

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Anyone else love the doom reboots but completely not fussed about getting a third? Eternal felt like it was at it's limit and even then it started feeling repetitive.

I'd much rather quake or a new IP at this point. Give it a bit longer to breathe.

Ya I was really excited to get new Quake.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
i have a feeling that the project started as a Hexen reboot then they changed it to a new Doom entry ... either way my body is ready

plausible but even more likely it was Quake then now that i think about it. There have been Quake reboot rumors for the last 2 years.

Dazraell

Gold Member
plausible but even more likely it was Quake then now that i think about it. There have been Quake reboot rumors for the last 2 years.
Quake rumors are often tied to MachineGames though. They also were the ones who made new expansions to Quake 1 and Quake 2

Reports of a new Doom by id were even in that leaked court data from FTC trial, and that image included their plans from a few years earlier. The project in that document was called "Doom Year Zero"

Shodai

I suspect they will link Doom, Quake, and Hexen in some fashion. I just hope they go the Quake aesthetic route and bring back true mod tools.

makaveli60

Anyone else love the doom reboots but completely not fussed about getting a third? Eternal felt like it was at it's limit and even then it started feeling repetitive.

I'd much rather quake or a new IP at this point. Give it a bit longer to breathe.
Yeah, this is basically what I’m saying

Hudo

I just want a new fucking Quake, man. And a new Hexen.

I'm not saying I don't like Doom. I do. It's just that I like Quake even more.

Just do DOOM 2016 with maze levels and dodging from Eternal.
Bin everything else from Eternal, especially the ammo limits., and

2016 was how modern DOOM should play, and letting the player ignore the plot was excellent. Eternal comes along and bogs everything down. The DLC wasn't balanced on Nightmare for using a controller (that fucking cube boss) and it was just so bloated.

Call this DOOM: Hexen. Sword and sorcery, but with a super shotgun too.

Just do DOOM 2016 with maze levels and dodging from Eternal.
Bin everything else from Eternal, especially the ammo limits., and

2016 was how modern DOOM should play, and letting the player ignore the plot was excellent. Eternal comes along and bogs everything down. The DLC wasn't balanced on Nightmare for using a controller (that fucking cube boss) and it was just so bloated.

Call this DOOM: Hexen. Sword and sorcery, but with a super shotgun too.
This is probably why I thoroughly enjoyed it on PC.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Eternal's highs were so good, they cement it as one of the best Doom games ever, perhaps one of the best SHOOTERS ever. The lows were really evident though - platforming sucked, and the bosses were all around awful. I'm still excited for what this team does next, I hope they acknowledge and fix the problems of Eternal while refining that insanely good combat.

Top Bottom