• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Definitive Edition - PlayStation 4 = ~60fps, Xbox One = ~30fps

Status
Not open for further replies.
You do realize that Tim Lottes, Creator of FXAA [an anti-aliasing technique used widely] predicted almost all of this more than a year prior to the consoles launched based off of just the specs?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=510076

ESram was the biggest problem he had with the XB1 and higher res/framerates

Huh. So if I'm reading that correctly, even XB1's first party would have trouble getting low level, or are the tools expected to allow similar access eventually?

slapnuts

I don't understand why people are still surprised by this stuff. I mean, we all know there is a difference in power between the consoles.

I agree and people who bought X1 knew what they were buying vs buying a PS4.

The disparity between the two versions are a product of the hardware they are running on. Simply put ...if people have a beef with X1 version running at 30fps vs PS4 running at 60fps...why would it be fair to make both games run at 30fps when the PS4 is capable at running this game at 60fps? I get the feeling some X1 owners are pissed that the X1 is running at 30fps while PS4 is not? Well i say this...then why not buy the PS4 for its better hardware?

I am not directing this at any person directly but to those thinking its "not fair" ...well you got what you paid for, you choose the under powered machine..People that bought a PS4 would be royally pissed if the PS4 version was gimped to 30fps for the simple fact that X1 can only run it at 30fps...not fair at all imho. You've made your bed now lie in it .

Ryse is the very first next gen game I completed. It does not have a solid framerate.

Then we are in disagreement. I won't actually respond, since I really do intend on calling it a night now, but I'll at least look at your response. So, you're saying that ryse's performance is somehow not representative of good performance for that style of game beginning to end?

gruenel

TTKvUEp.png

My first attempt at this, be merciful.

Facism

S.Africa? Just wondering because one of my good friends is from there and says "bru".

peace

i've been listening to Die Antworte recently and it's been stuck in my head. :(

Stop making out the PS4 runs at a constant 60FPS.

Jesus, it's like some people just focus solely on the 60FPS thing like it does all the time.

I'm not upset that you got angry over this. That's your problem, not mine.

Piggus

Just start reading what i said.

Gap between ps4 and xbox one now for 3rd party: big
Gap in the future (because of optimization) for 3rd party: smaller than today

1st party games dont have that big gaps like 3rd in graphic terms at the moment.

You do realize that essentially any DirectX "feature" can be emulated or trumped by PS4's low level access capabilities, right? The difference in multi-platform games is more likely to increase, not decrease.

Nizz

This is some fantastic news for me. I fully expected the game to run at 30fps (hopefully locked on PS4) so hearing that it runs at 60fps most(?) of the time has me really excited to play the game. I recently traded in COD:Ghost and also have some reward points from a credit card so Tomb Raider will basically pay for itself.

Can't wait to try it out. :)

nib95

Banned
Okay, I concede this point. My position does seem pretty unreasonable without actually playing it myself yet, which is precisely the same argument I myself was making with regards to Ryse or pretty much any other game. It makes sense to see for myself, so you're indeed correct on this. My apologies. :)

In actual gameplay, based on what little I've played, Ryse seemed perfectly smooth and playable. Now I didn't play enough to know if it's consistently like that, as the frame analysis show the frame rate can get choppy here and there, but then again I also enjoyed Halo, GTA V, Last of Us etc, and these games didn't exactly hold 30fps perfectly either.

Point I was making is, don't knock 30fps just because it's 30fps, it could still be a pretty smooth and playable experience (e.g. Killzone Shadow Fall, Uncharted 2 etc).

If you have both consoles, or want to choose a console for multi platform games, obviously the PS4 version is definitive version. 60fps is better than 30fps. But if you only have the Xbox One, and have not played the game before, I would not let the 30fps thing get in the way, even if the PS4 version is 60fps. It's a solid game, and for the type of game it is, 30fps is sufficient. 1080p is going to make the visuals stand out a lot more compared to the current gen 720p versions than 60fps is (imo).

If you have played the game before….well…then things get tricky. Not worth the full asking price imo, though others will naturally disagree. I do at the very least appreciate that the devs have taken some advantage of the PS4's extra hardware muscle. That's commendable.

Piccoro

And yet, I am buying the PS3 version, which is 720p 30ish fps, lol. Who cares, the game looks awesome in previous-gen, anyway!

But I wonder how will it be for the Japanese games... Will FFXV and KH3 be different on both current consoles?...

Jack cw

if it holds 60fps constant and never dips at any point I will be impressed.

Yeah, so tressFX and 1080p with average 60fps on those "laptop GPU and CPU" is not impressive? People here on this board surely change their opinions like underwear lately.

slapnuts

I get the excitement but why are people acting like its a constant 60fps.

Stop making out the PS4 runs at a constant 60FPS.

Jesus, it's like some people just focus solely on the 60FPS thing like it does all the time.

Where he says the difference in FPS is 100%......

I'm not saying it's not, but lets not make out that this game is a constant 60FPS.

I'm not angry about it, just wish people wouldn't over egg it and make out that this game is a constant 60FPS.

Chill bro...seriously

Jack cw

I'm not angry about it, just wish people wouldn't over egg it and make out that this game is a constant 60FPS.

OP says average and anyone with a bit of reading comprehension knows what average means. I appears this version is running rather near 60fps than lower.

I'm not reading through this entire thread, but was the graphics quality level confirmed also? I remember DICE claiming the PS4 version of BF4 would be equivalent to "high" on PC, but it doesn't look like that at all.

I would feel genuinely disappointed if I'd just slapped down £430 for an Xbox One, knowing there is another big title that has a HUGE performance difference on the system compared to its rival, and slowly coming to the realisation that this is probably how all big multiplats going forward will end up; with the XB1 getting the significantly weaker port.

This all comes back to what is actually in the XB1 and how they can justify it being completely overpriced - Kinect 2.0, slow GPU, old DDR3 memory, with Kinect taking 10% of the slow GPU's resources for a double kick in the shins.

Jack cw

I'm not reading through this entire thread, but was the graphics quality level confirmed also? I remember DICE claiming the PS4 version of BF4 would be equivalent to "high" on PC, but it doesn't look like that at all.

Because it looked better. No comparisons yet, but I'm pretty sure there will be some differences in quality and effects. Something like missing AA on Xbone and/or ambient acculsion.

I would feel genuinely disappointed if I'd just slapped down £430 for an Xbox One, knowing there is another big title that has a HUGE performance difference on the system compared to its rival, and slowly coming to the realisation that this is probably how all big multiplats going forward will end up; with the XB1 getting the significantly weaker port.

This all comes back to what is actually in the XB1 and how they can justify it being completely overpriced - Kinect 2.0, slow GPU, old DDR3 memory, with Kinect taking 10% of the slow GPU's resources for a double kick in the shins.

But... the cloud... and direct x tiled resources...and magically fairies...

SmokyDave

The power difference was no secret. Buyers knew they were getting the weaker machine, but presumably the media features and MS exclusive titles offset that for them. I wouldn't feel too bad for 'em, I'm sure they're happy with their purchase.

slapnuts

Its has been enhanced a bit since the PC version and there are videos that show what was done for the next-gen console versions. Also BF4 looked pretty decent on PS4 compared to it on my PC version but the PC version of BF4 still had an edge, at least on my PC.

Beepos

Yeah, so tressFX and 1080p with average 60fps on those "laptop GPU and CPU" is not impressive? People here on this board surely change their opinions like underwear lately.

Sorry I am not a console gamer and I'm not familiar with the PS4 hardware speak. My standard when playing on my PC is locked 60fps at 1080p, hence why I would be impressed if it accomplishes that, but as other have stated it seems to dip.

I was just gauging where these consoles are at currently. (I know they are a lot cheaper - it's good to recommend to family members ect).

mocoworm

Calm down drama queen.

I wouldn't say that this is either a 'HUGE performance difference' or 'significantly weaker'. Anyone who is only playing the XONE version isn't going to notice it. It will not impact their enjoyment of this game in the slightest. It will look and play just fine.

Jack cw

Sorry I am not a console gamer and I'm not familiar with the PS4 hardware speak. My standard when playing on my PC is locked 60fps at 1080p, hence why I would be impressed if it accomplishes that, but as other have stated it seems to dip.

I was just gauging where these consoles where at currently.

Fair enough then. But consoles are closed systems, where hardware is not changeable and there are no options to tweak inside the games to get better performance. Its a huge leap that games on PS4 have locked 30fps or unlocked 60fps because last generation with PS360 we were lucky to have more than 24fps at average.

Calm down drama queen.

I wouldn't say that this is either a 'HUGE performance difference' or 'significantly weaker'. Anyone who is only playing the XONE version isn't going to notice it. It will not impact their enjoyment of this game in the slightest. It will look and play just fine.

Are you serious? A 100% difference is a huge difference.

Let's not forget the huge disparity in resolution on other multi platform titles.

CozMick

Banned
Fair enough then. But consoles are closed systems, where hardware is not changeable and there are no options to tweak inside the games to get better performance. Its a huge leap that games on PS4 have locked 30fps or unlocked 60fps because last generation with PS360 we were lucky to have more than 24fps at average.

......@ 640p

This is a gigantic leap from last gen.

spekkeh

Banned
Not a big deal. 30 FPS is a perfectly positive or neutral experience for this type of game.

Of course it isn't a big deal, because by far the most of us have already completed the game at that framerate, and it was in the top ten of GAFs GOTY list.

Still, 39 pages, welcome back glorious console wars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom