• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Game Informer Info [Update 2: Multiplayer Jobs (Co-op/PvP) Post 892]

StuBurns

Banned
It's LT/RT actually, and considering it'll be 360 pad supported on PC, if anything it suggested the images are the PC SKU, as one might imagine would be preferable for a magazine anyway.

Salaadin

StuBurns said:
I would hope they've been following the responses online.

They've made some solid TR games, but they're always been essentially iterations on the existing series. It's great to see them be able to break free and go wild with something new.

Doesnt gaf have a member who works for CD or Eidos? I remember him popping in the GoL thread. Nice dude. Hopefully hes been reading the thread and passing on the good thoughts and skipping kittonwys posts :lol Keir Eidos was his name, I think.

I agree that it is nice to see them doing something new. To me, CD is basically responsible for making the series worth something again and its only right that they get to do the reboot and make it more of their own rather than stick to the basic formula that we are all used to.

StuBurns

Banned
szaromir said:
Console exclusives don't have directfeed screenshots in magazines either. This discussion is pointless.
It's hardly pointless, it's not just an issue of IQ which is almost always bullshit with screenshots, it's things like asset resolution, lighting effects etc, those are not going to be the same across the SKUs.

Salaadin said:
I agree that it is nice to see them doing something new. To me, CD is basically responsible for making the series worth something again and its only right that they get to do the reboot and make it more of their own rather than stick to the basic formula that we are all used to.
I certainly agree, they've paid their dues with the franchise, the formula is stale and I have faith that what they'll deliver with their reboot will be a much needed step for the series. With SE coming in, it really feels like things are falling into place for this to be a great title.

szaromir

Banned
StuBurns said:
It's hardly pointless, it's not just an issue of IQ which is almost always bullshit with screenshots, it's things like asset resolution, lighting effects etc, those are not going to be the same across the SKUs.
Looking at magazine scans is pointless anyways. I'm sure we'll get normal screenshots in a couple of days, we'll have much better idea.

Pooya

Magazines usually use 5000x5000 or higher resolution images for printing, Those images are not representative of IQ on consoles.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
StuBurns said:
It's LT/RT actually,

You're right.

StuBurns said:
and considering it'll be 360 pad supported on PC, if anything it suggested the images are the PC SKU, as one might imagine would be preferable for a magazine anyway.

I think that's a stretch, at best. Really doesn't matter though... even console screenshots are always improved for print.

edit: beaten.

Pooya

Something I like about Square-Enix PR these days it's that it seems they actually don't release bullshots anymore, maybe that FFXIII fiasco caused it :lol, all official screenshots of GoL were 1024x576. Human Revolution and FFXIII UHI looking to be same; the released shots are not super sampled and are from the real thing. maybe they release real screens for this game too.

EDIT: this one is from the very recent batch of Mindjack screens, surely they could supersample but they didn't, I really appreciate their honesty.

image_mindjack-14244-2vuzd.jpg

StuBurns

Banned
recklessmind said:
You're right.

I think that's a stretch, at best. Really doesn't matter though... even console screenshots are always improved for print.

edit: beaten.
The image quality is improved, I don't believe they swap assets for higher quality ones that aren't in the games or change the lighting model etc as far as I know. Although I don't think there is anything in the shots that makes me think it's beyond the consoles to deliver, especially when they're in a confined space like that.

Carlisle

solblade00 said:
OK this was a pretty bad ass cover. I cleaned it up to the best of my abilities.

*snip*

If you want it without the text at the bottom, go here: http://imgur.com/1aj0V
Awesome, this is great! Thanks for the option without writing too. As a Mac user, the layout of the entire art piece kinda clashes with the way our desktops are laid out, so I reversed the image. The no-writing version was great for this, but there's still some writing on the boat, which I fixed in a quick and dirty job-- probably could be a little better, but it's in the bg and hardly noticeable anyway.

So for Mac users, I uploaded this small modification to solblade's awesome cleanup.

http://imgur.com/lfGT5.jpg

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
recklessmind said:
PC versions are usually demoed early on in the games dev cycle. See: Crysis 2.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
StuBurns said:
It's LT/RT actually, and considering it'll be 360 pad supported on PC, if anything it suggested the images are the PC SKU, as one might imagine would be preferable for a magazine anyway.
Well, you never know. The track record for PC versions of CD's Tomb Raider games hasn't been great.

Underworld was missing some significant visual effects on the PC, for instance, which were only available in the 360 version. In fact, the PS3 and PC versions weren't even made by Crystal, rather, ported by a third party company.

PC versions are usually demoed early on in the games dev cycle. See: Crysis 2.
Usually, but not in the case of Crystal Dynamics Tomb Raider games.

Most likely, any early shots of this new game are simply higher resolution shots taken from the work being down on 360.

derFeef

Isn't it completely irrelevant from which system the... *looks at adress bar* oh, I am sorry.

Anyway, I have redownloaded Underworld on Steam but I am already too busy with my current backlog that I have no idea when I should play that.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
dark10x said:
Well, you never know. The track record for PC versions of CD's Tomb Raider games hasn't been great.

Underworld was missing some significant visual effects on the PC, for instance, which were only available in the 360 version. In fact, the PS3 and PC versions weren't even made by Crystal, rather, ported by a third party company.
Significant visual effects? Do explain. I don't remember anything significant missing.

If GoL is anything to go on, PC is going to destroy the console visuals on this game.

szaromir

Banned
dark10x said:

Not sure if serious? Anniversary PC was by far the best version, so was Underworld - fantastic performance and higher resolution added a lot to the experience.

StuBurns

Banned
dark10x said:

True, I'm not saying they certainly are the PC version, I was really just pointing out it was 360 buttons not PS3 buttons.

Do we know if they're handling all three SKUs in-house?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
StuBurns said:
True, I'm not they certainly are the PC version, I was really just pointing out it was 360 buttons not PS3 buttons.

Do we know if they're handling all three SKUs in-house?
Hopefully they are, they did a fantastic job themselves on a technical level with GoL.

Also, all CD Tomb Raider games have had sick controller support, plethora of options to tweak, and even the option for both next-gen/old-gen visuals in Legend (yes, there are legitimate reasons to prefer old-gen).

1-D_FTW

Saw the article. And this thread kind of got me interested in the older CD games. I'm thinking there might be a TR bundle for the Steam Christmas sale. +1 if so.

StuBurns

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Hopefully they are, they did a fantastic job themselves on a technical level with GoL.

Also, all CD Tomb Raider games have had sick controller support, plethora of options to tweak, and even the option for both next-gen/old-gen visuals in Legend (yes, there are legitimate reasons to prefer old-gen).
GoL didn't seem impressive to me from videos and things, although I haven't played it.

(What are the legitimate reasons for wanting the older graphical assets?)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
StuBurns said:
GoL didn't seem impressive to me from videos and things, although I haven't played it.

(What are the legitimate reasons for wanting the older graphical assets?)
A.) Go play GoL on PC. It's the type of game where crystal clear resolution/AA and 60 fps really makes it a much more enjoyable/tight experience. Higher-resulotion + top-down view means that you won't miss out on any of the finer detail to the environment that would be lost or easily missed on a lower resolution where you can't move the camera in to get a better view. The gameplay feels so tight at 60 fps too.

B.) The older graphical assets (the versions used in the PS2 game) are much more consistent on an artistic level. And the assets are clearly the raw assets created for the PS2 and not the ones actually used on the PS2 hardware and they hold up quite well. The next-gen stuff looks nice, but the lighting and models can look very wonky at times and it's clear that it was an early 360 release.

Stallion Free said:
A.) Go play GoL on PC. It's the type of game where crystal clear resolution/AA and 60 fps really makes it a much more enjoyable/tight experience. Higher-resulotion + top-down view means that you won't miss out on any of the finer detail to the environment that would be lost or easily missed on a lower resolution where you can't move the camera in to get a better view. The gameplay feels so tight at 60 fps too.

B.) The older graphical assets (the versions used in the PS2 game) are much more consistent on an artistic level. And the assets are clearly the raw assets created for the PS2 and not the ones actually used on the PS2 hardware and they hold up quite well. The next-gen stuff looks nice, but the lighting and models can look very wonky at times and it's clear that it was an early 360 release.
at the time also, the benefit was that it allowed for the game to run on an older family of hardware than requiring the 'next gen' visuals would have.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
plagiarize said:
at the time also, the benefit was that it allowed for the game to run on an older family of hardware than requiring the 'next gen' visuals would have.
Oh god yes. On release I got mediocre performance on the next-gen stuff because it wasn't the most optimized, but the old-gen stuff ran perfectly.

Carlisle

szaromir said:
Not sure if serious? Anniversary PC was by far the best version, so was Underworld - fantastic performance and higher resolution added a lot to the experience.
This was my understanding as well. Playing through Anniversary PC right now and it runs and looks great. Had to grab it after all this TR Reboot news got me all hot and bothered. Going to see how far through the series I can make it. Only previously played TR1 and 3/4 of TR2.

Gribbix

For the record, Nixxes has handled most of the ports of Crystal Dynamics' games for the past decade as well as doing non-SKU-specific work on the engine (See project list here). They've also recently started working on non-Crystal Dynamics games for Eidos. They're doing the PC version of Deus Ex: HR (which also runs on Crystal Dynamics' engine) and recently did the PC version of Kane & Lynch 2 (which used IO Interactive's own proprietary engine).

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Gribbix said:
For the record, Nixxes has handled most of the ports of Crystal Dynamics' games for the past decade as well as doing non-SKU-specific work on the engine (See project list here). They've also recently started working on non-Crystal Dynamics games for Eidos. They're doing the PC version of Deus Ex: HR (which also runs on Crystal Dynamics' engine) and recently did the PC version of Kane & Lynch 2 (which used IO Interactive's own proprietary engine).
Oh shit, well I can forgive them for dropping a visual feature in Underworld (something to do with shadows) because every other single TR port has been perfect IMO.

Also, Kane & Lynch 2 was a ridiculously solid port.

Salaadin

szaromir said:
What's with that comparison? Lara looks good in both pictures, Dante looks bad in both pictures.

The comparison is between two iconic videogame characters that are seeing reboots this gen.

I dont mind old Lara like some people seem to but I do agree that she looks doll-ish.
The new model definitely fits better with what Lara Croft should look like being that she raids tombs and rolls around in dirt for a living.

szaromir

Banned
Salaadin said:
The comparison is between two iconic videogame characters that are seeing reboots this gen.

I dont mind old Lara like some people seem to but I do agree that she looks doll-ish.
The new model definitely fits better with what Lara Croft should look like being that she raids tombs and rolls around in dirt for a living.
I still don't understand what's wrong with Dante's redesign. Are emo haircuts and chest straps considered cool in some countries?

edit:// I just realized both Dante's designs have emo haircuts.

StuBurns

Banned
I never really liked Dante's design, I like it ironically maybe. Lara's outfit is pretty iconic I think, and simple enough, the hair and tits were always pretty bad, but the former had a reason, it was cool to have her hair moving around in real-time in that era I think.

mollipen

miladesn said:
Magazines usually use 5000x5000 or higher resolution images for printing, Those images are not representative of IQ on consoles.

Hahahaha... if only you saw the type of assets companies usually give out. Getting 5000x5000 images was considered a great day.

Edit: Oh, and this is the best new avatar on GAF.

rble1l.png

StuBurns said:
I never really liked Dante's design, I like it ironically maybe. Lara's outfit is pretty iconic I think, and simple enough, the hair and tits were always pretty bad, but the former had a reason, it was cool to have her hair moving around in real-time in that era I think.

His DMC1 and 2 designs are great.

Everything else is meh at best.

I'm not sure why people keep posting his DMC3 design; it's arguably the worst next to DmC.

trejo

Fimbulvetr said:
His DMC1 and 2 designs are great.

Everything else is meh at best.

I'm not sure why people keep posting his DMC3 design; it's arguably the worst next to DmC.
I would imagine it's because they are both young Dante. I do agree it used to be the weakest of the bunch.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Stallion Free said:
Significant visual effects? Do explain. I don't remember anything significant missing.

If GoL is anything to go on, PC is going to destroy the console visuals on this game.
The primary thing missing from the game was per-object motion blur. This is a pretty fantastic visual feature, I think everyone can admit. It was certainly one of the defining effects used in games like Crysis, Metro 2033, and some of Sony's first party titles. It was also done very well in Underworld on 360.

Unfortunately, it was completely missing in the other versions.

In addition to that, there were a few shader effects and shadows that appeared toned down a bit for some reason.

If I recall, the actual explanation was simply that Nixxis targeted DX9 and claimed that those effects (as they were presented on 360) were not possible without using a DX10 or DX11 renderer. PS3 could have been possible as well, but it would have required a different approach so that version was also missing it. Nixxis does good work, though, so it's just a shame they skipped out on a DX10 mode in Underworld.

As for other versions...

Anniversary was definitely at its best on PC, I can't deny that, but it wasn't doing anything fancy at all and was primarily a PlayStation2 game. It wasn't surprising that it would look best on PC.

The previous game, however, attempted to include the enhanced visuals present in the 360 version of TR: Legend and it was full of bugs and problems. It still doesn't look quite right on the PC unless you disable all of those effects and it ran like dogshit back then.

It has been an interesting road for the series, technologically speaking.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I don't mind the per-object motion blur, but the shaders? Hmmm.

The PC version still looks incredible and it honestly doesn't look like it's got anything wrong visually. They better not skimp on the new one or Deus Ex though.

SolidSnakex said:
- The lock on targeting system is gone and it now has a free aim system. CD says that it can compete with any of their competitors.
So basically it'll be like Uncharted? That's really all Crystal Dynamics has to do when you think about it: keep the excellent Tomb Raider platforming and make this game like Uncharted in the shooting = success!

And no planned DLCs and cut content please...even though I know that's going to happen! :p

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
So basically it'll be like Uncharted? That's really all Crystal Dynamics has to do when you think about it: keep the excellent Tomb Raider platforming and make this game like Uncharted in the shooting = success!

And no planned DLCs and cut content please...even though I know that's going to happen! :p
Yes, Uncharted was the first game to develop free-aim, so it will basically be like that.

Gribbix

Stallion Free said:
I don't mind the per-object motion blur, but the shaders? Hmmm.

The PC version still looks incredible and it honestly doesn't look like it's got anything wrong visually. They better not skimp on the new one or Deus Ex though.
The PC version of Deus Ex:HR is already confirmed to feature at least one DX11 feature (tessellation) so I'm sure this will feature some sort of DX10/11 features too.

Stallion Free said:
Yes, Uncharted was the first game to develop free-aim, so it will basically be like that.
That's good to hear. I think Tomb Raider Underworld did everything pretty well except for the shooting! Talk about bullet sponges and awkward shooting!

I'm looking forward to this new Tomb Raider! Tifa costume confirmed! :D

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Gribbix said:
The PC version of Deus Ex:HR is already confirmed to feature at least one DX11 feature (tessellation) so I'm sure this will feature some sort of DX10/11 features too.
Oh delicious, I forgot about that. I expect tesselation in here too then. It was godly in Alien vs. Predator.

derFeef

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:

No, it means it has freeaim. We have no idea whatever that means in term of shooting sections, enemy count, cover, and so on. Just because it is Tomb Raider and has (free aim) shooting does not make it like Uncharted.

edit: someone (you) needs a sarcasm detector ;)

3rdman

For the poster above me...

Funnily enough within the last month I've (re)played both Uncharted 2 and Underworld and although there are rather obvious differences, the biggest one being control...in underworld, I always felt like I was fighting the controls...I'd die for taking a minor step in the wrong direction and it felt a bit laggy as button presses would cancel out if you pressed them too quickly.

I hope they give the controls a lot of attention...it'll need it to compare to Uncharted.

TheOddOne

3rdman said:
For the poster above me...

Funnily enough within the last month I've (re)played both Uncharted 2 and Underworld and although there are rather obvious differences, the biggest one being control...in underworld, I always felt like I was fighting the controls...I'd die for taking a minor step in the wrong direction and it felt a bit laggy as button presses would cancel out if you pressed them too quickly.

I hope they give the controls a lot of attention...it'll need it to compare to Uncharted.
Thats exactly how I feel about Assassins Creed 2: Brotherhood at the moment.

derFeef said:
No, it means it has freeaim. We have no idea whatever that means in term of shooting sections, enemy count, cover, and so on. Just because it is Tomb Raider and has (free aim) shooting does not make it like Uncharted.

edit: someone (you) needs a sarcasm detector ;)
LOL! I need my 5 hour energy! :p

But like I said, Underworld's biggest letdown was the shooting. So I say just copy Uncharted and we got ourselves a excellent Tomb Raider game!

Top Bottom