• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider reboot (PC, PS3, 360) site opens

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToD_

D4Danger said:
It looks like the same picture to me

nc5t2.gif

The biggest difference I'm seeing here outside lighting/mud etc is that her mouth is slightly more open in the GI pic (I like where this is going).

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Haunted said:
http://www.abload.de/img/east_vs_westfb7p.jpg ??

ITT: We prove internet nerds don't go outside and women frighten them. Also Square-Enix is incompetent and ignorant when it comes to games outside the Role-Playing Game (RPG) genre.

Hitman and Tomb Raider are RPGs, seriously, S-E?

sn00zer

TheSeks said:
ITT: We prove internet nerds don't go outside and women frighten them. Also Square-Enix is incompetent and ignorant when it comes to games outside the Role-Playing Game (RPG) genre.

Hitman and Tomb Raider are RPGs, seriously, S-E?
Roleplaying in that you are role playing a predesigned character
very broad use of the term but still valid

Lime

The issue of normative characteristics of gender on Neogaf is always so astounding. Some posters' perception of the opposite gender never ceases to amaze me, like the thread about Ueda's reasoning for choosing a boy instead of a girl in The Last Guardian.

V_Arnold

ToD_ said:
The biggest difference I'm seeing here outside lighting/mud etc is that her mouth is slightly more open in the GI pic (I like where this is going).

Wait for that, now in the next page of this thread you will learn that open mouth is a male feature, so I'd watch what you wanna achieve with this! :p

Ellis Kim

Banned
sn00zer said:
And this is one of the reasons I dont like neogaf....
One piece of concept art is released:
1. Immediately tear it to shreds
2. Go on lengthy explanation why this piece of concept art will ruin series
3. Post mock ups of "much better" character design
4. Wait for more concept art

I for one think its awesome and what Lara was always destined to be...the first 2 games and fourth were "gritty" death by spikes, scythes, and wild animals...lonely treks through sunken cities and abandoned tombs but technology couldnt add that extra layer of dirt.. now it can...and now it looks great
Except that's not how this thread's been progressing.

Its been more like:
One piece of concept art is released
1. Someone says the woman looks like a man
2. Others rebuke the mere notion of that thought, chastises previous people
Second piece of concept art is released
3. Arguments between both pieces are made
4. Comparison photoshops and GIFS are produced
5. Wait for more concept art

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
sn00zer said:
very broad use of the term but still valid

Yes, I've been down this route before. But anyone using "Are-Pee-Gee" along with "Western or Japanese" is meaning the Role-Playing Game genre itself. Not "You're playing the role of Mario stomping on the Goomba's head!" definition.

Ergo, Square is still stupid as hell. No wonder their games are bombing.

SolidSnakex said:
And I thought the inFamous 2 threads with people complaining about Cole were bad

At least some of the saner ones (like myself) had a valid reason. Two games with an established character in one and suddenly you're going to change him? Same with Dante and DMC. You're changing a character RADICALLY after four outings, seriously?

Lara's redesigns aren't too radical. She still looks like "Lara Croft" of over 15 years.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Lime said:
The issue of normative characteristics of gender on Neogaf is always so astounding. Some posters' perception of the opposite gender never ceases to amaze me, like the thread about Ueda's reasoning for choosing a boy instead of a girl in The Last Guardian.
Don't remind me. Ueda's explanation was depressing enough. The fact that he makes an homage to Nausicaa: The Valley of the Wind's title font in Shadow of the Colossus's Japanese title font, yet says that crap about skirts and grip strength... just ugh.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Sharp chin is the new sharp knees?

normally i dont say this, but if she was real and wanted to do it i wouldnt say no.

watership

This seems to silly to care about, and such a minor thing... but I really hope she's not wearing shorts and has a bare midriff in this new incarnation. If people complain that it's not Lara Croft anymore because of the outfit, then the character isn't worth a reboot in the first place.

Skilletor

This thread is funny. I didn't pay much attention to the face other than, "Okay, that's what she looks like now."

That Faith redesign makes me sad, though. :(

apana

Yikes, you people are even worse. Over reacting to just one comment. I agree that its sort of crazy to say that she looks like a man but if people say that she does have some masculine features or would prefer a more idealized or feminine look then it isn't the end of the world okay.

watership said:
This seems to silly to care about, and such a minor thing... but I really hope she's not wearing shorts and has a bare midriff in this new incarnation. If people complain that it's not Lara Croft anymore because of the outfit, then the character isn't worth a reboot in the first place.

If the leaked art is anything to go by then she'll be wearing pants and a tank top.

This thread is some of saddest shit I've seen on GAF in a while. Some of you need to go the fuck outside and take some deep breaths of fresh air.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
tea_and_crumpets said:
Both look like women, but the she undoubtedly looks better in the 2nd picture.
She looks like a shitty j-pop idol, if that's what you mean by better. Thankfully that redesign of Faith isn't what Dice went for.

Guy Legend

disappeared said:
This thread is some of saddest shit I've seen on GAF in a while. Some of you need to go the fuck outside and take some deep breaths of fresh air.

The women outside are below everyone's standards as well.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
so reboot already,thought TR: Legend was a reboot. :/

oh well whatever this is ,I will get the superior Nixxes port again :lol

miserable

Has anyone in this thread said already: "i hope this game sucks/bombs so Crystal Dynamics can go back to making another Soul Reaver/Legacy of Kain game?".

StrayB

Excuse me for quote mining.

Ellis Kim said:
No one's arguing that the "retardedly miniscule" differences can shift a gender one way or another. That much is very true.
You did... right here:
The differences are so retardedly miniscule that this entire "one is more manly than the other" argument is ridiculous.

Ellis Kim said:
My repeated linking to a Japanese variety show showing cross-dressing young men in front of a studio audience of highschool teenage girls (and them going crazy) is my way of pointing out that the people who are saying that she has a "manly jaw" has an immature perception of the wide variety of details that define a woman's face, and what defines a man's face.

Do you know what immature means? How does describing a jaw as "manly" equate to having a immature perception? In 'traditional art', the features of a female face is very soft... and for males, it's very well defined. A female character can a well defined jaw and still look very feminine overall (The TRU in-game model for example). Same way a female character have slightly broader shoulders (man-shoulders) than usual, and still look fine. But people will still point that out and not like it. Big deal.

When a male character doesn't have superhero proportions, you'll find people not liking that either. Again, it's no big deal.

Ellis Kim said:
Its never surprising when someone says a woman looks boyish, as such can be said of the more bald images in the series of renders in the image you posted. But when someone says "manly," the argument can quickly turn to shit, as it becomes a question of how well versed a person is in being able to tell gender cues or not.

The argument only turns to shit when insults are passively thrown around for not praising artwork you're fond of (e.g. Hurr durr ITT nerds, virgins, lolis).

Skilletor

snk2 said:
Has anyone in this thread said already: "i hope this game sucks/bombs so Crystal Dynamics can go back to making another Soul Reaver/Legacy of Kain game?".

Do not want. They'd make Kain sparkle in the sun because that's what's hot right now.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Half the fun of Tomb Raider is that she was incredibly rich. Her being a rich, playboy type (or playgirl I suppose) that traveled the world in search of treasure was a big part of the appeal.

Making her a normal civilian is a mistake imo.

To me, TR: Legend is probably the peak of the franchise. I liked the little team she had supporting her, the varied locales, etc.

Yazuka

Finally Lara has a pretty looking face. Really like the new look, will definitely take a closer look at this game when it comes out.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Cow Mengde said:
Let me give proper context: Square was trying to show the difference in views from Western developers v.s. Eastern developers, they didn't want to take things like Mass Effect or Dragon Age because then it might have been viewed as negative, so they just took pics from Eidos games.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Fimbulvetr said:
Negative for who? :p
That is for the viewer to decide. :lol

Dragon Age > Mass Effect > Square lately

But that's neither her nor there, this thread is about Lara Croft and the tombs she raids.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Plywood said:
Let me give proper context: Square was trying to show the difference in views from Western developers v.s. Eastern developers, they didn't want to take things like Mass Effect or Dragon Age because then it might have been viewed as negative, so they just took pics from Eidos games.

well this still don't explain why they put Tomb Raider and Hitman under "WRPG"

StuBurns said:
They should have at least used Deus Ex 2 though.

you can't use pic of a bad imaginary game that don't exist.

GDJustin said:
Half the fun of Tomb Raider is that she was incredibly rich. Her being a rich, playboy type (or playgirl I suppose) that traveled the world in search of treasure was a big part of the appeal.

Making her a normal civilian is a mistake imo.

To me, TR: Legend is probably the peak of the franchise. I liked the little team she had supporting her, the varied locales, etc.
Who said she's not rich? You don't really want to hike through mud and climb mountains in silk, now do ya?

mollipen

Wow, I'm... excited! Lara looks awesome. Beautiful, as well as young, which gives me hope we will get an inexperienced Lara that gives the game a bit of excitement. I really, really would love to see this game have a great mix of exploration and survival, and build a fun game around that. Old-school Tomb Raider + Disaster Report + Lost in Blue I'm thinking!

Despera

Banned
Plywood said:
I want to punch some people in this thread, seriously, what the fuck.

Bet it's the same people who said they'd sleep with this murderer:
Bringing that up again was totally unnecessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom