• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider writer on female & LGBT characters and ludonarrative dissonance

Off-topic but I love Max, the gay character in Happy Endings.

viewimage_story.php

Some people think he's not gay enough, and I wouldn't know what constitutes gay but at least he's no Will and Grace. He's just laid back, still worries about a relationship, but knows how to have a good time.

iO8uz9f96NeA5.gif

Interesting read. She’s right about the disconnect between cut-scenes and gameplay.....gameplay always comes first. I see it as a complete non issue.

And making Lara a lesbian? I wouldn't mind that, it might actually be seen as something good in my eyes, but the uproar probably wouldn't be worth it.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Im not even sure why her sexual orientation matters.

a characters sexual orientation don't matter if CD wanted to make a game character lesbian that's fine,Vamp from MGS series liked both men & women and he was cool character, Volgan yet again, but this is a well known character who was never hinted at as being gay and to make her into lesbian now is well..WHY?
other then drawing attention by making a well known character gay, what is the point?
to put in the head of teenage boys that Lara & Sam get it on? come on
it's like they're attending to most males fantasys, yes Lara don't have 34 DD's anymore but she like girls. its kinda tacky
but I think people are looking to much into it.

All I want right now with games are better written endings. They always feel like "5 days to deadline, let's go!" type of deals.

There's no irrefutable evidence to suggest Lara is straight (there's a journal entry about Sam introducing her to boys, I suppose), at the same time I'm not seeing why one would think she's homosexual given a regular looking friendship with a similarly aged girl. It's a question that isn't really posed or given enough evidence to ponder. I doubt there's a deep level of subtlety at play here so I'm going to assume she's straight for convenience sake.

It would have been interesting if they played around with her sexuality but it doesn't seen like something terribly important. She could have been lesbian this whole time.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
If this is a reboot, they can make Lara have whatever sexuality, right? Did she hook up with someone in this new game?

nah, I think Kurtis Trent was Lara's only love interest in the old TR
actually I wouldn't mind seeing him rebooted too, a rival perhaps?

Erethian

Nah...Lara has been rebooted as an adventurer suffering from bipolar disorder with no access to medication. Not only is the disconnect explained away, but now she's also the first bipolar heroine in video games. Truly groundbreaking stuff..

Don't you mean multiple personality disorder? Bipolar is about alternating periods of intense mania and depression.

beje

Banned
Well, we already have had LGTB characters: Jimmy, the main character in Bully. He's actually bisexual. Not as a "reflect yourself" feature like in Mass Effect but actually and officially bi. The story part of the game has you hooking up with some girls, but you can also go and search for the gay characters (one per social group) to date them too. And he's just a teen! So far I haven't seen any other game going as far.

Replicant

People who say this have no idea that gay guys just like straight guys, come in all sorts of varieties. The problem is that the media representation of gay guys tend to be one sided and focus on the feminine types. Although there's been some diversification lately (see Jacob and Paul in "The Following", not exactly positive role models but at least they are anything but stereotypical).

As for representation in games, despite the messed up ending, I actually like how ME3 addressed LGBT characters. They are just there and their romance is not treated any differently than other romanceable characters despite what the bigots tell you. And most importantly, none of them are stereotypical. Their quirks are more related to their hobby than their sexuality (ie. Traynor is a big online gaming geek).

Lime

Ugh none of that, please. This is exactly the sort of thing TV shows and movies try to do when they bring up LGBT characters and it usually falls flat and comes off as insultingly stereotypical. I'd rather we focus on showing as LGBT characters as regular people and pay as much or as little to their orientation or gender-identification as our other protagonists would do. It would limit the things they can mess up and it will be a smoother way to adapt for the people whose minds can't wrap around the concept yet. I don't have a whole lot of faith in video game writing in this area when I look at the calibre of these cinematic games.

On the whole, the article was an interesting read though.

Yeah, that's what stood out for me as well. I don't think Pratchett's option is a preferable way of solving the issue of lack of inclusion of minority characters. When media often try to treat the minority trait, it often gets handled like some big thing or as an excuse for something.

Dear GAF, please quit using the phase "in lieu", you're using it wrong.

Second language and all.

Jac_Solar

All I want right now with games are better written endings. They always feel like "5 days to deadline, let's go!" type of deals.

Indeed, but I don't think game development is linear, so it has to be for more/other reasons beyond simply crunch time.

The later parts of a game should be the most awesome parts, but it always/usually seems like the first half of games received more effort and attention than the final half.

The biggest, most expensive set pieces, scripted sequences and scenarios are almost always found in the first half of a game, whereas the levels leading up to the final boss of a game tend to be the most basic/simple/regular, with the most grind, least amount of setpieces/scripted sequences and so forth.

I appreciate the lack scripted sequences, and sometimes even setpieces, though. But the lack of such things clearly indicates a lack of effort spent on those parts of the game.

It might have something to do with how games are played, previewed (Tends to be somewhere in the middle section of the game for most games.), and perhaps even with how it is marketed to some degree.

If the start of the game was sloppy (Like the first hour - 2 hours, or so.), I'm pretty sure a lot of people would run onto the net to complain -- even if the game gets better as you play.

Some reviews might also be lower - I think some reviewers don't play through the entire game they are reviewing.

However, a game that gets better and better could also feel significantly different, maybe even better, since we're so used to playing games where the first half of the game (Seemingly.) received the most attention.

(It might not *exactly* be the first half -- it's more like, 50-75% of the game. Some games also have a spectacular final boss/level.)

UrbanRats

It’s kind of like having a straight character who happens to like people of the same gender.
Isn't that what gay people are? And if we take into consideration sexual fluidity, it's even less schematic.

I think concentrating on the same old themes about the gay stigma is what is holding a lot of gay characters back, actually.
Nothing wrong in acknowledging the difficulties of being gay in society, if it helps the story, but to think that it has to be the character's main theme is stupid and limiting.

Top Bottom