• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 5 - First details/screens, PS4/XB1/PS3/360 (Robomodo)

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
To be fair to Robomodo, they've only really worked on one "true" Tony Hawk game. Their first two were Ride peripheral games, which I mean, c'mon. Only really Tony Hawk in name.

THPS HD seemed like more of a cash grab. I'm sure they've learned from it, hopefully THPS5 ends up being great.

Nibel

Cross-gen doesn't matter to me as the series always been on tons of platforms - THPS4 has been on PS1 in 2002 for Pete's sake - and while the visuals look underwhelming I could live with them; what puts me off is that the developer is the same who made all of this:

CEQXQsxWIAIhTVh.png

Just.. no, man! I mean I don't want to shit on anybody but they had their chances with the franchise and not only didn't succeed at creating a good game but also killed the franchise in the first place. I have literally 0 hope for this one and I'd be shocked if this turns out good.

Also, I have no clue what projectiles have to do with skateboarding. Like, is it so hard to go back to the roots and pay a more competent team?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
"There's a new Tony Hawk's Pro Skater being made!"
FQ4JuAq.jpg

"Taking it back to its roots"
rBK0THA.jpg

"You can shoot projectiles!"
eZwR6tg.jpg

"And made by Robomodo"
STLk2aw.png

Run

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
To be fair to Robomodo, they've only really worked on one "true" Tony Hawk game. Their first two were Ride peripheral games, which I mean, c'mon. Only really Tony Hawk in name.

THPS HD seemed like more of a cash grab. I'm sure they've learned from it, hopefully THPS5 ends up being great.

It's nice to see some people have hope instead of crushing cynicism. All the more for me to enjoy when that hope is crushed by Robomodo screwing up a second time.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

If you can't get a 'Greatest Hits' version of a game that already exists right, how can you possibly make something new as a sequel to a beloved franchise?

This is Sonic 4 all over again.

KissVibes

Banned
Just.. no, man! I mean I don't want to shit on anybody but they had their chances with the franchise and not only didn't succeed at creating a good game but also killed the franchise in the first place. I have literally 0 hope for this one and I'd be shocked if this turns out good.

I feel this is kinda unfair considering Activision was the company that commissioned RIDE and SHRED to be made. Tony Hawk HD isn't a bad game.

Petrae

I have no clue what projectiles have to do with skateboarding. Like, is it so hard to go back to the roots and pay a more competent team?

You might want to ask Neversoft staffers about what projectiles have to do with skateboarding since that team did it first with THUG2.

Neversoft WAS the roots, and even that team lost its way as the series aged.

Im in if its good, but I won't be giving Activision/Robomodo the benefit of the doubt that it is. I'll wait until its out to decide. I can't say power ups and projectiles from the skateboard really fills me with much hope.

And before anyone asks, no I didn't play the THUG games.

boingball

I am surprised. I expected this to be a F2P iOS and Android title. The graphics don't look amazing but if it play good and is a lower priced title (in line with the graphics plus to rekindle interest in the Tony Hawk series) this might be the first Activision title in a decade I buy.

(Though I have some fear that this might the a DLC heavy game, a sure way to kill my interest (e.g. have no interest in the new Batman game, might buy it in three years when there is an all-incusive bundle on sale)).

Petrae

Skate was a very difficult game which would have narrowed its audience massively. I'm surprised it made it to three iterations to be honest.

The Skate games weren't anywhere near as accessible as the THPS games were. Playing Skate was an exercise in frustration for me, mostly because it added a control scheme that I never was able to learn.

UrbanRats

Skate was a very difficult game which would have narrowed its audience massively. I'm surprised it made it to three iterations to be honest.

The problem was that it made it through those 3 iterations too fast.
EA thought this was some football or nba game, that they could shit out every year, but it obviously needed more time than that to grow.

And so they killed one of best new IPs of last gen, with their stupid greed.

cripterion

Didn't it picked up steam again thanks to that Youtuber? I'm sure some people just got the game to mess around with it.

SkylineRKR

I hope Robomodo gets it this time. There is no reason now this game won't be 60fps on current-gen. But the other problems the game had, and fans pointed out, I hope they can fix those and make a worthwhile THPS 5.

Rootbeer

Banned
As someone who is interested in checking out skating games but has never played one... can anyone recommend 1 or 2 of the best ones you can get your hands on? It's too bad THPS5 is getting a lot of negative buzz out of the gate... but that developer's track record isn't doing it any favors

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
that looks bad. give me a rebooted and realistic skate please

As someone who is interested in checking out skating games but has never played one... can anyone recommend 1 or 2 of the best ones you can get your hands on? It's too bad THPS5 is getting a lot of negative buzz out of the gate... but that developer's track record isn't doing it any favors

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3, and then 2.5 if you can get it, or 2 if you can't, and then 1 if you want.

Or the Skate series for something VERY different.

UrbanRats

Skate 2 or 3 are the pinnacle, no contest.

This is probably going to be dogshit (for the same reason that Sonic 4 was; it needs the engine its predecessors were built from), and while I'd love to be proven wrong, I'm also alright with however it turns out. There's about five or six great Tony Hawk games out there, with a few decent ones in-between. How many other series have that pedigree? It's hard to really feel that burned when there's so many dope ass games you can just go back to, especially considering that the gameplay is damn near timeless.

Skate 2 or 3 are the pinnacle, no contest.

Skate 2 is the best skateboarding game ever made.

Auctopus

If you want unrealistic high score based skating then go for THPS2, 3 or THUG.

If you want an incredibly satisfying, grounded experience then go for Skate 1 or 2.

I love both series.

StoopKid

Besides the fact that it is cross gen and people usualy think "lets take the ps3 version and turn it into a wiiu port"...

IT IS TONY HAWK !

That game game out to EVERYTHING !

even GAME BOY COLOR had a tony hawk game

So does madden.

It's Wii u.

Rootbeer

Banned
Thanks for the suggestions... i'll check out the skate series (2 or 3)

I like the idea of a game that's a little more grounded. i want to be able to do some crazy stuff like what you see in the X Games or various skate competitions but nothing too over the top.

Just imagining a skating game done in a grand theft auto V kind of way... that would be a ton of fun. Instead of stealing cars, you're just skating through the city, doing tricks, maybe beating people up and doing other delinquent-y pranks... come on, PS4!

Petrae

yeah just like that first real game where it felt like the glory days were behind the series

Fair point, but the counter to the quote I responded to still stands. Projectiles aren't a Robomodo addition; they're drawing from all of Neversoft's past games, while focusing more on the first few.

I would argue that the series' glory days were behind it when THPS4 went open-world and lost the focus of the first three games, hence becoming a GTA on skateboards... but that's my take.

Elija2

The problem was that it made it through those 3 iterations too fast.
EA thought this was some football or nba game, that they could shit out every year, but it obviously needed more time than that to grow.

And so they killed one of best new IPs of last gen, with their stupid greed.

The Tony Hawk games were a yearly franchise for 9 years though (and they were consistently good for a lot of those years). EA probably thought they could pull that off with the Skate series too.

I would argue that the series' glory days were behind it when THPS4 went open-world and lost the focus of the first three games, hence becoming a GTA on skateboards... but that's my take.

THPS4 still has the same general skateboarding-oriented focus on objectives as the original 3, though. You still had to find objects, get high scores, win competitions, pull off specific tricks over gaps, and things like that. The open-world style just allowed them to get a little more ambitious with the level design and some of the other challenges they added. The more out-there things were generally reserved for side content, like minigames and unique Pro Challenges. It wasn't until THUG where you got things like stealth missions and driving segments as a part of the critical path.

Top Bottom