• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 5 - First details/screens, PS4/XB1/PS3/360 (Robomodo)

kiguel182

The beginning of that text got me hyped and then the power ups and projectiles just killed it. All in the same paragraph, amazing.

I only played Pro Skater 2 and I loved it a lot, if they can get the essence of the old games back I'm in but I don't see it.

Wow everyone stop getting all bent up over cross gen. You're kidding yourself if you're expecting this game to break all kinds of graphics or gameplay mechanics rules. Activision is a company of numbers; they'll release where it makes sense. On that note...
Of course not. The guy you quoted is just a concern troll, and has been at it for a very long time.

This does seem like the type of game that COULD get some sales on Wii U compared to many of Activision's other games, but yeah, I guess that ship has sailed. Almost surprising Activision is even throwing Wii U a bone with Guitar Hero.
Didn't the Guitar Hero games do well on Wii? I'm guessing they're going for that same audience, although I don't know how many have actually transitioned to WiiU.

If Activision is calling it THPS5 and it doesn't have the namesake legacy gameplay, then they can completely fuck off and kiss this series goodbye in the process.

A proper return to form could fully revive the Tony Hawk series and the skating game genre or put the final nails in the series' (long-gestating) coffin. Unfortunately, getting Robomodo (who did the brilliant TH Ride, Shred, and THPS HD
aka THPS2X: Inferior Edition
) and adding powerups and shooting projectiles to the classic gameplay aren't helping your chances. Which sucks, because I'd love to have a modern THPS game and I'm pretty happy about everything else mentioned.

a harpy

This looks and sounds like a budget title which is funny because it's an actual numbered entry into the series and has had a ton of rumors about it lately.

The screenshots look like they're from something I'd expect for a $20 PSN/XBLA title.

rjc571

Banned
hey guys, remember how the N64 THPS3 held back the Xbox version?

oh wait

it didn't

THPS has never been a looker

The later PS2 titles were fairly impressive for the platform, featuring large, detailed, open-ended environments running at 60 fps.

Cidd

So glad this franchise is back, this gen is starting to look brighter already. Will MS get the marketing deal on this?

seeing that they both have a lot in common.

I just hope these power ups and projectile is for their own specific modes and not involved in the normal gameplay. Then I would be fine with it. But if you have to shoot beer bottle to open gates in a level or get the power up 'jump x 2' to jump pver specific stuff or something that would just suck... And i'm afraid that it might be even worse

ascii42

Exactly.

Not sure why it's a big deal here.

"PS1 held back the Dreamcast and PS2 versions!!!"
Hell, the last mainline game was cross gen with the PS2
Tony-Hawks-Proving-Ground_US_ESRB_PS2.jpg

Salsa

man I was really deep down hoping they'd get it right this time

like activision and tony hawk actually got what people didnt like about the last few games and wouldnt work with fucking robomodo

but, yeah

dlauv

Robomodo really screwed with the physics in THPSHD: they were completely unreliable. This looks uglier, is retreading the warehouse (again) and has projectiles.

jax

Banned
PS3/360

Out.

Which is a shame because I was excited for a few THPS. Oh well, move this one to the "never played, never going to play" bin.

Thanks, people who haven't bought a current gen console.

jax

Banned
Heh, I didn't even know that.

So basically the whole Tony Hawk series before Ride was cross-gen. Why is it a problem this time around?
Considering the series hasn't been good since THPS2, I guess there isn't one. Maybe people are too optimistic that we'll get a /good/ THPS for once, but I guess that ain't happening any time soon.

Bgamer90

Banned
Considering the series hasn't been good since THPS2, I guess there isn't one. Maybe people are too optimistic that we'll get a /good/ THPS for once, but I guess that ain't happening any time soon.

Simply because it's cross gen? Graphics were never a huge selling point for the Tony Hawk games.

I mean, both the PS1 and Dreamcast versions of Tony Hawk 1 and 2 were fantastic and the visual gap between them were HUGE.

Yeah, apart from the two THUG games, I guess.

Good point about the THUG games.

moerser

i want a skate 4, i will never go back to thps, no matter how much fun i had with the first four, skate is so much better in every term.

jax

Banned
What, are you serious?
Yes. They wouldn't be making cross gen games 2 years later if the current gen was more adopted. The people sticking it out with the PS3/360 are ruining new games for the rest of us. -cough-Destiny-cough-

Simply because it's cross gen? Graphics were never a huge selling point for the Tony Hawk games.

I mean, both the PS1 and Dreamcast versions of Tony Hawk 1 and 2 were fantastic and the visual gap between them were HUGE.

Doesn't mean they shouldn't be. THPS is a very simple game, the only thing that's been missing recently is the graphics. Slamming buttons together to make combos is easy. This THPS5 seems like it took all of 6 months to develop.

mantrakid

Hey sry... Didnt mean to be a dick... Its just that seeing that symbol as joke strokes me the wrong way. New pix is much better :D

Not a dick at all, i didnt give it much thought was just trying to do something mindless for a fast laugh. Was a dumb joke and not even funny. Thanks for calling me out on it lol.

Soup Bar

I'll reserve judgement until the game comes out. As long as it's 60FPS it should be fine, even if it doesn't look very good.

I'm not sure why some people don't like THPS3. That game is amazing.

Ridley327

Oh man, I hate to be so negative but didn't a lot of people hate the HD Remake? :(

You can count the number of people that liked it on one hand. It can even be on one finger, considering that even playing the demo felt like you were being given one.

Usually there's a flippancy when people ask if not great looking games are a mobile title, but... I really did think it was for mobile when I saw the shots on Twitter.

mktrOOp

Banned
Yes. They wouldn't be making cross gen games 2 years later if the current gen was more adopted. The people sticking it out with the PS3/360 are ruining new games for the rest of us. -cough-Destiny-cough-

I get your point, but Iook at the saIes of the PS4, what do you expect? AIso there are good reasons why peopIe are happy with their Iast gen consoIes.

Top Bottom