• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 5 - First details/screens, PS4/XB1/PS3/360 (Robomodo)

Dominator

What is EA waiting for with Skate? I'll probably get this because I loved those games and if its even remotely similar I'm sure I'll enjoy it, but Skate took this genre to the next level. I'm pretty sure 3 sold pretty well, and then nothing after that.

I kind of want a new SSX again too, I liked the last one lol

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Robomodo? There's no chance this will turn out well.

Why did EA shut down their Black Box studio? They actually understood how to make a great skateboarding game.

gaf is crazy...
what the hell did you expect for a game that started and almost finished development on ios/android.
I think the game looks good for mobile.

Contra11

Banned
ki6KynP.jpg

Whats Tony up to these days?

lol
Someone should make this with Portal 2 cover

Venfayth

Sounds like they're going for an arcadey feel, which is exactly what the originals felt like. Robomodo could totally make this a great game.

Robomodo obviously has a shitty track record, so I'm not holding my breath, but I don't think the end-of-the-world overreaction in here is merited whatsoever.

As long as it's 60fps!

Platy

Are you really surprised a game isn't coming to Wii u in 2015?

Besides the fact that it is cross gen and people usualy think "lets take the ps3 version and turn it into a wiiu port"...

IT IS TONY HAWK !

That game game out to EVERYTHING !

even GAME BOY COLOR had a tony hawk game

MilesTeg

Banned
What is EA waiting for with Skate? I'll probably get this because I loved those games and if its even remotely similar I'm sure I'll enjoy it, but Skate took this genre to the next level. I'm pretty sure 3 sold pretty well, and then nothing after that.

I kind of want a new SSX again too, I liked the last one lol

The last SSX had real promise. Shame about the whole deadly decent backround. I loved the levels where you get big air and stuff. The online concept hurt the game but I liked it, generally anyway.

It was very fun. I mostly played trick attack and graffiti online though.

Graffiti was pretty addicting I would definitely say though. Graff and Fightfight was my most played modes back then even though the grind glitch would make waiting for matches to end unbearable as fuck

I was just bring up that mode for people losing their shit over "shooting projectiles" even though it was part of the overall series before in place of a online mode.

But as everyone else, I don't trust Robomodo

_machine

no pc
power ups and projectiles
cross gen
robomodo physics seal of quality

hype = dead
Yeah, I'm not holding my breath and especially the lack of PC version hurts, but we'll see. At least I'm happy that the series is getting resurrected so there's at least chance of getting a good game. I do hope we'll get to see another Skate though, all 3 were absolutely amazing games.

Anth0ny

visuals don't mean shit. As long as the game:

-is 60 fps
-physics identical to THPS3
-has cool level design
-has cool music
-has playable spider-man and other wacky unlockables

I'm happy.

kpaadet

I agree which is why I'm surprised that there were people who didn't expect this to be cross-gen.
Because last gen sales are dying, otherwise every single game would be cross gen right? I doubt that is a huge audience that only owns a last gen console that is waiting for a new Tony Hawk, obviously Activision disagrees though.

Muzicfreq

Banned
Skate needs to come back to smack this series down hard again.
Loved 1-4 but the 1button 360flip was becoming a stalefish. Skate was totally awesome with visuals and mechanics

_machine

I don't think it ever sold well enough for them.
I think it was more due to Skate 3 losing the traction (I remember hearing that 1 and 2 sold well and 3 was Greenlit just because of that) and Black Box struggling to create any more success (NFS: World, Skate 3 and NFS: Run all didn't do that well) and the two projects we knew they were working on were canned.

EDIT: apparently Skate 3 got back on the charts in 2014 due to Let's Players, but of course that's way after the death of Black Box so I really don't know if there's a suitable developer available to work on a sequel: http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/how-pewdiepie-fired-skate-3-back-into-the-charts/0137447

Jesus, the game is being written off based on first images and a single line in a blurb? The THPS games have always been over-the-top and full of arcade-like nonsense. No one in there said that this is now a shooter because they mentioned projectiles on some missions and no one said there wouldn't be skating in the game.

In fact, based on the blurb:

As the name indicates, Pro Skater 5 is a call back to the old-school lineage of the first four titles – back when the franchise was in its prime. The game weds the series' finely tuned gameplay with new additions such as power-ups and the ability to shoot projectiles for specific missions.

Perhaps they felt the need to point out the additional features and not skating because it goes without saying that a Tony Hawk Pro Skater game is going to feature skating in the game.

That screenshot of Tony skating is ugly as sin though. They need to up their game before release. Thankfully this isn't going to be finished until later in the year allegedly, so they should have time to still revise it.

lefantome

Looks like a disaster.

Was on my wishlist before the reveal.

There is a market for a new TH but of course it won't be there anymore if you publish a crappy TH.
I hope I'm wrong.

If you want to make a comeback you go big not on low budget.

prag16

Banned
3 and to a lesser extent 4 were the pinnacle of the series for me, so this sounds cool. However no WiiU and no PC means no deal. I'll bargain bin this one if it's good after I get a PS4 down the line.

SparkTR

Jesus, the game is being written off based on first images and a single line in a blurb?

I think the developers pedigree has more to do with it, anybody hoping for something good out of this will almost definitely be burned. All that other stuff sounding and looking shit is just expected coming from Robomodo.

It looks good for mobile, but for Xbox One and PS4?

but it wasn't made for those platforms...
This game was built for android/ios not for xbox or playstation, the release has now changed to consoles but you can't have everything.
either tony hawks on mobile, or tony hawks that was made for mobile but changed last minute and now on console...
I know i'd prefer the second option, not by much but i guess this is the future now.

I think the developers pedigree has more to do with it, anybody hoping for something good out of this will almost definitely be burned. All that other stuff sounding and looking shit is just expected coming from Robomodo.

I'm all for people being skeptical, particularly with a developer that has a less than stellar track record. If the game doesn't look like it has improved or anything maybe a month or so before release, sure some of these comments would make sense. However, the way some people in here are saying the game is shit, you'd think they had advance copies in hand.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Really too bad about the developer, but maybe they can get it right this time since the directive is to be a true entry in the series.

I'm skeptical about the projectile stuff, but I could see power ups working in a Tony Hawk game.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
plsbegoodplsbegoodplsbegood

I was listening to the track of THPS2 (Cyclone and Styles of Beyond preferably) on my way to the gym... so good..

UberTag

visuals don't mean shit. As long as the game:

-is 60 fps
-physics identical to THPS3
-has cool level design
-has cool music
-has playable spider-man and other wacky unlockables

I'm happy.
You have unrealistic expectations.
I can see the sub-60 Metacritic scores from here (incidentally, a 57-59 score would still be an improvement over other Robomodo-developed Tony Hawk installments).

Guys, it's a THPS game. Anyone who expected it to reap the benefits of next gen are the same people who want another Tony Hawk's Proving Ground. It doesn't need to look amazing.

As for projectiles, ever heard of Firefight from THUG? Been in the series for a long time now.

PLEASE have old physics though!

> no PC version
> oldgen versions
> power ups
> Robomodo developing

Congratulations, Activision, that might be the fastest I've seen a game go from announcement to write-off in a while.

Tokklyym

Neo Member
So much hype extinguished in a split-second.

Robomodo's Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD really messed up the most important part of the THPS series: the flawless physics. When you have these levels down to muscle memory, they need to respond in a predicible manner every time. In the HD reboot your character would bounce and zoom and slingshot for no reason. Such a disappointment.

I wont be buying this one until I hear a lot of player feedback.

Bgamer90

Banned
Because last gen sales are dying, otherwise every single game would be cross gen right?

What digital non AAA-expansion game hasn't been cross gen though?

I could somewhat understand the cross-gen disappointment if this was a retail title.

I doubt that is a huge audience that only owns a last gen console that is waiting for a new Tony Hawk, obviously Activision disagrees though.

So you think the audience that wants a new action sports game on current gen consoles is significantly larger?

Top Bottom