• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 5 - First details/screens, PS4/XB1/PS3/360 (Robomodo)

Krakn3Dfx

Forget the head for a moment...what the fuck is up with his hand?

thpsu0uoi.jpg

Did someone skin him or what? Baaad lighting.

This is truly the nightmare before christmas.

I'm going to reserve judgement until I've seen some footage, but so far, this doesn't bode well for THPS5. *hugs copy of THPS3*

Where the fuck is Skate 4, EA?!

I really imagine the shooting is just some small sidemission stuff. Dont see a big deal

Powerups sound more integral...what is that? Like perks or modified tricks? I imagine they'll even charge for those

Raziel

Wasn't it basically always known the defunct Neversoft wouldn't/couldn't make this? And if it was called Tony Hawks Project 10 or Tony Hawk Carve, most would continue not caring about the series. The hype was literally just for the title. The power of nostalgia is real lol.

Putty

Looks fabulous. No really! ..........

Dear Last Gen,
I loved you, I really did but you just don't cut it anymore. F*****F!

Kind Regards
Anth

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Really, the shooting projectiles thing killed it for you guys?

It's either that or "Robomodo" that is the worst part of the announcement for me. It doesn't look great but I don't really care about that and at least hopefully that implies that it wouldn't be a full priced retail release. And if it's a full priced retail release they absolutely won't be going back to classic Tony Hawk style games, because Activision hasn't believed those would sell for a decade.

liquidtmd

Banned
Really, the shooting projectiles thing killed it for you guys?

It's a skating game remembered fondly with people for its skating.

If you mention shooting projectiles in a press release that extols the virtues of returning the series roots, you're gonna have a bad time

Prezhulio

Can't wait to see what sort of microtransaction garbage this is saddled with.

I'm a sucker for skating games so I'll probably still pick it up as long as it's functional!

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I actually got a teeny bit excited based on the name alone, but why include shooting and stuff if this is a so-called return to the originals?

Why.

Well, they better at least get everything else right, like the goals and hidden areas, etc.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
New Star Wars is coming out. THPS3 had Darth Maul, THPS4 had Jango Fett. THPS5 will have Kylo Ren. I don't know what they'll have from Marvel. Granted Disney will probably not let it happen but it'd be sweet if they did.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't take this shooting mechanics thing too serious. It'll be some missions where you fling turds at old ladies or something, can't imagine it being something substancial.

But holy crap it doesn't look good. I'd be worried about the devs and cross-gen first and foremost. I don't understand it, they could really make this huge with the right approach, talent and marketing, I feel like skating is kinda big again; instead they squeeze this out of what seems to have been some mobile game once.

AdanVC

Forget the head for a moment...what the fuck is up with his hand?

thpsu0uoi.jpg

Did someone skin him or what? Baaad lighting.

He just broke his pinky finger. M rated confirmed.

... God damn if this is how it will look on PS4, I'm terrified to imagine the 360/PS3 versions

If they manage to nail the physics (the thing HD got wrong), I could stomach a few dumb additions. It's not an automatic write-off like most post-THUG games, at least.

Ridley327

I don't really blame Robomodo for how the Ride games came out, since it was clear that Activision was hoping for a crossover hit that combined the success of peripheral driven rhythm games and fitness software made the most sense for a skateboard game and paid Tony Hawk lots of money to say it was all his idea. I do not extended the same courtesy to what they did with THPS HD, which proved that there is no such thing as a sure thing.

How could you possibly screw up giving the people what they wanted all along, we naively wondered aloud.

Sakujou

Banned
1-4 were great games, underground was the first step of the downfall.

tony hawk should have stopped letting them abuse his name for all those rotten games.

dh4niel

I don't see there really being a big market for skateboarding games anymore. It's just a cash grab based on what little nostalgia is left for the series.

Dremark

Banned
From the developer of such illustrious and well-loved games as Tony Hawk Ride, Tony Hawk Shrek, and Tony Hawk Pro Skater HD.

Lower those expectations, friends.

Yeah I know they killed the old studio so the Dev on this was the first thing I looked for. Did not know them by name but with that track record I'm just going to ignore this game unless it's really well received.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
shooting projetciles? power ups? oh come the fuck on wtf..

but, yeah, lets be honest, if they put superman in Im gonna buy it
itoldyou.gif

MilesTeg

Banned
Crazy that Activision has the balls to call this THPS5. They obviously don't care about the franchise. THPS5 sounds good to the consumer, guess that's all that matters to them.

Between this and the new Guitar Hero, you just wonder...why are they doing this. These super low budget sequels to known IP will irreparably damage these brands right when the new generation is finally taking off. Seems very short sighted in my opinion. Another year or so in development, higher quality products and 30 million more next gen consoles sold could have seen a nice return.

sonto340

Are some people incapable of reading comprehension?

"Shooting IN SOME MISSIONS"
GAME IS A SHOOTER WTF CRAPTIVISION.

no it's a wacky skating gave where in some missions I guess your skateboard will shoot stuff. That sure is wacky. Almost as wacky as Spider-Man skateboarding.

antti-la

Tony Hawk Pro Skater "brand". It would have been a perfect time to reboot this series properly. Instead mobile graphics engine, Robomodo, powerups and projectiles.

This will be the last straw, and it doesn't look good to begin with.

Shit. I was actually looking forward to this.

liquidtmd

Banned
It's interesting also the nostalgia and love for the originals soundtracks...and depressing in that I see zero percent chance they are gonna put any significant budget into getting decent music tracks in.

Paradicia

Tony_Hawks_Proving_Ground_5.jpg

See, that doesn't look too bad!

Oh wait, that's from Proving Ground from 2007.

If the game looked like that but at 1080p w/60 fps and high resolution textures I wouldn't be so mad but it's the fact that they looked to have completely stumped out on the game graphically to make a quick buck.

Top Bottom