• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 Has Done the Impossible. It's Made Me Feel Included

'

I am not sure how exactly she is excluded at all, but ok. *shrugs* But i guess just another reason why Youtube and Twitch are becoming more relevant to games than Game Journalist sites.

And it is somehow less ridiculous than Spiders as accessibility problems.

Last edited:

Senua

lolvpj3w.png

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
'
I always wanted to be cool like "the boys." In retrospect, it's sad how toxic this idea ingrained in me—where as a cis woman, I believed I had no place among the boys club of skateboarding, no matter how cool and welcoming it seemed to be.
Such a bizarre statement... if she knew anything about that scene she'd know that women were more than welcome and plenty of "tomboys" to boot. That's what made the skate culture appeal to so many in the first place, everyone was welcome regardless of gender or race.

Guess that era really wasn't that "formative" for her lol.

Last edited:

Senua

Such a bizarre statement... if she knew anything about that scene she'd know that women were more than welcome and plenty of "tomboys" to boot. That's what made the skate culture appeal to so many in the first place, everyone was welcome regardless of gender or race.

Well that way she couldn't be a victim could she?

The sheer bloody self centred narcissism of these clowns never fails to stagger me.

It's all me, me, me, me, me with them, and they hate to feel anything isn't bending over backwards to make them feel personally catered to and flattered.

A game is including you if you like it, you miserable cow, and the only way it could be excluding you is because you don't like it.

Last edited:

Kikorin

Yeah, this quote make no sense at all tbh. I've been a skater from 13 yrs old until I was 21 (sometimes I still go skate today), and we were a group with every kind of people, lot of girls too that go skate or just "chills with the boyz". And if we want to talk about inclusion, there were black guys, latinos, asian, and even 2 sisters that were from South America (I'm from Italy).

Edit:
I add that the skatepark in my little city was the place were all the "alternative" guys and girls met, and everyone was welcome. I can't think about something more inclusive than the skate scene lol (and you can even see by Tony Hawk's games too, with skater with really different styles like Chris Cole, Steve Caballero, Elissa Steamer or Kareem Campbell)

Last edited:

Breakage

I've never cared about feeling included or being represented when playing a video game. All my favourite character-based games feature characters who don't look like me.
People like this woman are so psychologically fragile that they need every video game, TV show, TV advert, book, film, poster, etc. to remind them that they exist. It's one of the reasons we have “diversity” in everything now.

Lol, wtf? I started reading the article, thinking maybe it was a sweet story, but it was just ridiculous word drivel.

I spot the predictable: "Made me feel included", "Representation", "Nonbinary", "cis", "aged badly", "myself", "toxic" etc. I swear, you could get an AI to write articles like this. How many jumps do you need to take? How hard is it to not fall along a diatribe when you're writing? Why has games media turned into big self-masturbating monologues? Imagine if they had actual discussions like real media, what's left of it in the US - whether right-wing or left-wing or center. Imagine if they were thought provoking and interesting.

Who are all these narcissistic people obsessing about "seeing myself" in a video game? I've never seen a single video game character that looks like me and when I make characters I don't make them to look like me. I've broken tons of gender stereotypes through my life, but I've never gone on out looking for attention for it nor have I felt any sort of elation in doing it. I'm more worried about these people and how fragile their sense of self-worth must be to go crazy over something like that. 75% of the shows I watched in my early teens were almost exclusively black shows, with the exception of a few white guest stars. So did I go into a big speech about inclusivity and how it touched me to identify myself in some white guy showing up? No. Because not only am I not looking at things to find "me" in them, but I am also not "a white guy". I can't relate anymore to some white guy showing, any more than I could to any black guy showing up. I am not them and none of them are like me.

Part of me feels like this is all a product of social media and how it has funneled attention seeking behavior. Before you had to star in a reality show to get any noteworthy attention, usually making a fool of yourself. That meant there was a limit in your outreach and everything was funneled through limited means. Perhaps you could get a bit of attention through the local newspaper during the slow months every summer. With the normalization of Internet and social media, it seems we have hit a point where people are no longer restricted. I constantly see this kind of behavior on social media and on newspapers. Heck, newspapers, who've often self-aggrandize themselves as virtuous defenders of all good, have monetized this. Seeing parents showing off their dying sick child, using vague scaremongering headlines and hiding it all behind a paywall, has made me utterly cynical about the future of humanity. Perhaps this attention seeking behavior is part of most of humanity and that I'm just an outlier, a defect, and that social media just made it go haywire. It's not even a pure "right wing" or "left wing" thing. You'll see the same behavior on the right when given the chance, usually in their own arenas. It's not even an "age" thing, as boomer generation can be equally into doing it.

Also, wtf, "tween"? Who actually says that?

Ugh, feels disgusting going on a small rant about a random article on the web, but it just shows my own frustration with how society overall has developed. I find it funny how utterly misplaced Chuck Palahniuk's Fight Club was in how he formulated a possible spiritual crisis for the modern Man.

Same ol G

Lol, wtf? I started reading the article, thinking maybe it was a sweet story, but it was just ridiculous word drivel.

I spot the predictable: "Made me feel included", "Representation", "Nonbinary", "cis", "aged badly", "myself", "toxic" etc. I swear, you could get an AI to write articles like this. How many jumps do you need to take? How hard is it to not fall along a diatribe when you're writing? Why has games media turned into big self-masturbating monologues? Imagine if they had actual discussions like real media, what's left of it in the US - whether right-wing or left-wing or center. Imagine if they were thought provoking and interesting.

Who are all these narcissistic people obsessing about "seeing myself" in a video game? I've never seen a single video game character that looks like me and when I make characters I don't make them to look like me. I've broken tons of gender stereotypes through my life, but I've never gone on out looking for attention for it nor have I felt any sort of elation in doing it. I'm more worried about these people and how fragile their sense of self-worth must be to go crazy over something like that. 75% of the shows I watched in my early teens were almost exclusively black shows, with the exception of a few white guest stars. So did I go into a big speech about inclusivity and how it touched me to identify myself in some white guy showing up? No. Because not only am I not looking at things to find "me" in them, but I am also not "a white guy". I can't relate anymore to some white guy showing, any more than I could to any black guy showing up. I am not them and none of them are like me.

Part of me feels like this is all a product of social media and how it has funneled attention seeking behavior. Before you had to star in a reality show to get any noteworthy attention, usually making a fool of yourself. That meant there was a limit in your outreach and everything was funneled through limited means. Perhaps you could get a bit of attention through the local newspaper during the slow months every summer. With the normalization of Internet and social media, it seems we have hit a point where people are no longer restricted. I constantly see this kind of behavior on social media and on newspapers. Heck, newspapers, who've often self-aggrandize themselves as virtuous defenders of all good, have monetized this. Seeing parents showing off their dying sick child, using vague scaremongering headlines and hiding it all behind a paywall, has made me utterly cynical about the future of humanity. Perhaps this attention seeking behavior is part of most of humanity and that I'm just an outlier, a defect, and that social media just made it go haywire. It's not even a pure "right wing" or "left wing" thing. You'll see the same behavior on the right when given the chance, usually in their own arenas. It's not even an "age" thing, as boomer generation can be equally into doing it.

Also, wtf, "tween"? Who actually says that?

Ugh, feels disgusting going on a small rant about a random article on the web, but it just shows my own frustration with how society overall has developed. I find it funny how utterly misplaced Chuck Palahniuk's Fight Club was in how he formulated a possible spiritual crisis for the modern Man.
Dude i just read all of that, i can't agree more to all of that it's getting ridiculous.

Megatron

Yep. She apparently expected Skateboarders to knock on her door and ask her to skate with them and teach her the ropes. Since that never happened, it wasn’t inclusive enough for her. God forbid she ever take a risk and put herself out there and make an effort herself.

And I love that she says this game ‘makes skateboarding feel inclusive.‘ You’re not skateboarding. You’re sitting on your ass and wiggling a joystick.

Last edited:

junguler

Banned
it's like what they say, everyone is the hero of their own story. but please keep it to yourself next time.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Read the article. She might feel included, but this kind of cringe-y shit makes me wish she would just stay out.

Saruhashi

Banned
So the game has character creation options?

How is this framed as "doing the impossible" when games with character creation, sometimes quite deep character creation, have been around for a decent chunk of time.

Personally, I don't really "get" the thing about wanting to "see myself" in gaming and I can't think of any games I've bought thinking "oh shit the character is like meeeeeeeeeee". Even looking through my list just now I can't really see too many games that have "someone like me" as the playable character.

Very unusual article but if it makes them happy then I guess enjoy your character creation.
I mean, that's why developers like to include things like character creation options. So you can create something that appeals to you.

No need to pretend like this game is the first one to do it or to act like it was some kind of "impossible" ask.

Montauk

Guys, women are literally 50% of the worlds population. You can't react like this everytime a woman says that she's happy to see a woman in a game.

How many of the people in this thread saying "I don't care about seeing myself represented" are straight, white dudes? Nothing wrong with being those things but come on you're missing the point.

Montauk

she looks like one of those “ pretend a hot girl is ugly because she has glasses, wears overalls, and a bad hair style then all of a sudden hot after a make over” movie.

I don't like her opinion, so it's time to start insulting her looks. How is that relevant?

Yeah, this quote make no sense at all tbh. I've been a skater from 13 yrs old until I was 21 (sometimes I still go skate today), and we were a group with every kind of people, lot of girls too that go skate or just "chills with the boyz". And if we want to talk about inclusion, there were black guys, latinos, asian, and even 2 sisters that were from South America (I'm from Italy).
Same here in germany.
A lot of these skater guys from back then are still my best friends, including a dude from Iraq, an Italian, and a Greek.
And we were super happy about every girl skateboarding with us, which was very rare back then.

So weird to read shit like that she felt excluded.

How many of the people in this thread saying "I don't care about seeing myself represented" are straight, white dudes? Nothing wrong with being those things but come on you're missing the point.
The point is that when I go skateboarding there are 98% men.
Why shouldn't games reflect that?

Montauk

The point is that when I go skateboarding there are 98% men.
Why shouldn't games reflect that?

No that isn't the point, not my point nor the point of the guys saying that. That's an entirely different point that has no relevance to what I wrote.

As for your point; so what? You may not have noticed but games are games and not direct copies of real life. They're usually extremely unrealistic in a variety of ways.

This is a skateboarding game, not a reality simulator. So who cares if you can select a female character in it? Why does this basic stuff totally enrage you guys to the point of hysteria again and again and again?

This is a skateboarding game, not a reality simulator. So who cares if you can select a female character in it? Why does this basic stuff totally enrage you guys to the point of hysteria again and again and again?
It doesn't "enrage" me.
I actually don't give a shit.

But I am not the one changing the status quo here.
So the question should be, why does it enrage people like you if it doesn't "include" all these people that don't give a shit about Skateboarding (or even gaming) in real life?

Do you feel like a better person fighting for women and trans people being more included in games that feature a sport where these people don't actually compete in any capacity?

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

There is no point in continuing gaming after this gen. The woke infection will have destroyed the industry by the end of ps5 era.

DonF

Me me me me. This people are so annoyingly self centered.
Also, this doesn't make sense! Why thps in particular? There are sooo many games ...sigh

Montauk

There is no point in continuing gaming after this gen. The woke infection will have destroyed the industry by the end of ps5 era.

Take a step back. Take a breath. Think about what you're actually getting upset about here: the option to pick a player avatar that is a woman, or non-white. That's it. The option to choose a different kind of avatar.

How is that going to negatively effect this game, let alone destroy the industry?

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I don't like her opinion, so it's time to start insulting her looks. How is that relevant?

yeah cause calling her hot is a severe insult. 🙄

also I Didn’t say I disagreed with her article.

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned

I notice how further down you need to paint people commenting on this as angry somehow. So I don't think you are making any sincere points here but I'll play along anyway.

Its not that I don't care about being represented in games. It's that I rarely see myself represented anyway and when I have a character creation option I usually create something that I think fits the world of the game.

My last 10 games played on Switch right now are: Hob, Paper Mario, Bayonetta 2, MK8 Deluxe, Baba is You, Horizon Chase Turbo, Cross Code, Void Bastards, Ion Fury, Dead Cells.

Where is my representation in there?
Is it that I don't care or is it that I don't understand because I am not represented in the games I play as it is?

On PS4 my last 10 are: Ghost of Tsushima, Control, Nioh 2 (character creation), TLOU2, Fall Guys, Warframe, FFVII Remake, RE2 Remake, Skyrim (character creation) and Burnout Paradise.

Again, where is my representation?

My issue with the article is simple.
First character creation is neither new nor exclusive to this game.
Second I don't understand why representation is held up like this when most games don't really even represent anyone but the developers.

No anger. No rage. Just trying to have discussions on a forum built for discussions.

Montauk

yeah cause calling her hot is a severe insult. 🙄

also I Didn’t say I disagreed with her article.

I have clearly misunderstood the intention of your post, sorry. Still, there are comments going after her for her looks.

As for disagreeing with the article I'll bet most people here didn't bother to read the article. That's often the case with these ''a woman said something REEEEEEE'' threads.

Top Bottom