• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 Has Done the Impossible. It's Made Me Feel Included

Saruhashi

Banned
I don't like her opinion, so it's time to start insulting her looks. How is that relevant?

To be fair, mate, she looks like the kind of woman you'd take home after a night out then spend the rest of the week crying and wallowing in a pit of despair.

The kind of chick who inspires you to sort your self out and find a nice attractive woman to settle down with.

How is that relevant? Well she seems to think character creation makes her feel "represented". Which makes sense because the only thing character creation is good for is making ugly-ass wonky looking characters.

Last edited:

Montauk

I notice how further down you need to paint people commenting on this as angry somehow. So I don't think you are making any sincere points here but I'll play along anyway.

Its not that I don't care about being represented in games. It's that I rarely see myself represented anyway and when I have a character creation option I usually create something that I think fits the world of the game.

My last 10 games played on Switch right now are: Hob, Paper Mario, Bayonetta 2, MK8 Deluxe, Baba is You, Horizon Chase Turbo, Cross Code, Void Bastards, Ion Fury, Dead Cells.

Where is my representation in there?
Is it that I don't care or is it that I don't understand because I am not represented in the games I play as it is?

On PS4 my last 10 are: Ghost of Tsushima, Control, Nioh 2 (character creation), TLOU2, Fall Guys, Warframe, FFVII Remake, RE2 Remake, Skyrim (character creation) and Burnout Paradise.

Again, where is my representation?

My issue with the article is simple.
First character creation is neither new nor exclusive to this game.
Second I don't understand why representation is held up like this when most games don't really even represent anyone but the developers.

No anger. No rage. Just trying to have discussions on a forum built for discussions.

Hey. There's no playing here, i'm being totally sincere. You only need to sniff around Gaf for 5 minutes to see tonnes and tonnes of searing anger.

I'm not sure what your point about representation is. You talk about choosing something that fits the world of the game. Ok, what am I meant to take from that? That's not the same as what i'm talking about which is whether its wrong to include an option to have a variety of player avatars.

I don't know where your representation is (I don't who you are) and apparently you don't care about that anyway, but I do know where the representation is and isn't for certain types of people. Those people do care, to some degree (not everyone is furious about it), and they would prefer to have some options.

Ar¢tos

Take a step back. Take a breath. Think about what you're actually getting upset about here: the option to pick a player avatar that is a woman, or non-white. That's it. The option to choose a different kind of avatar.

How is that going to negatively effect this game, let alone destroy the industry?
It's not the options in this game, it's how something as simple as a basic option that was always there becomes twisted into woke ammo combined with the wokeness of new games (no gender in COD, revolution has no gender in watchdogs, etc).

Saruhashi

Banned
Hey. There's no playing here, i'm being totally sincere. You only need to sniff around Gaf for 5 minutes to see tonnes and tonnes of searing anger.

I'm not sure what your point about representation is. You talk about choosing something that fits the world of the game. Ok, what am I meant to take from that? That's not the same as what i'm talking about which is whether its wrong to include an option to have a variety of player avatars.

I don't know where your representation is (I don't who you are) and apparently you don't care about that anyway, but I do know where the representation is and isn't for certain types of people. Those people do care, to some degree (not everyone is furious about it), and they would prefer to have some options.

Yet you've only been here 5 minutes (15 or so posts?) and you're already trying to tell people what they can and cannot say on threads and basically crying because people's tone isn't what you think it should be.

The game has character creation. Awesome. Makes sense for that kind of game to be honest.

Why is she acting like its a new or unique thing?

Holy shit this game has done "the impossible" I can create a character that looks a specific way!

OK.

nush

YawrRAV.png

There's a failing down resume right here. Ï've bcome the biggest fish in a small (US Gamer) pond.

VN1X

Banned
No that isn't the point, not my point nor the point of the guys saying that. That's an entirely different point that has no relevance to what I wrote.

As for your point; so what? You may not have noticed but games are games and not direct copies of real life. They're usually extremely unrealistic in a variety of ways.

This is a skateboarding game, not a reality simulator. So who cares if you can select a female character in it? Why does this basic stuff totally enrage you guys to the point of hysteria again and again and again?
I can see your point but again it's not the fact that there's women in the game. The issue comes from all the virtue signalling, general tone and narcissistic tendencies brought forth by these 'journalists' who don't nearly care as much about inclusion in videogames as they do about their own voice and condescending behaviour towards others. It's all just one giant self-congratulatory circle jerk of who can out-woke the other.

sobaka770

Banned
She literally writes she was always considered a tomboy in the first paragraph. At least read some of the article before bashing a woman for her looks?

It doesn't remove anything from a game to get more character options for the avatar and different scaters who are female or transgender or people of color etc.. I think that the article is written in the same clickbaity way that most articles on the internet do nowadays: Tony Hawk has done the IMPOSSSIBLE!!! OMAGAD!!! Otherwise it's just a simple piece of saying thank you for more character options in a game really nothing to be so offended about.

Montauk

Yet you've only been here 5 minutes (15 or so posts?) and you're already trying to tell people what they can and cannot say on threads and basically crying because people's tone isn't what you think it should be.

The game has character creation. Awesome. Makes sense for that kind of game to be honest.

Why is she acting like its a new or unique thing?

Holy shit this game has done "the impossible" I can create a character that looks a specific way!

OK.

Who cares how many posts I have? You can read the forum without having an account. I used to be on Gaf (a bit) years ago, before it was like this.

My point is that it would only take you a little bit of looking around to get the feel for the place now.

Montauk

It's not the options in this game, it's how something as simple as a basic option that was always there becomes twisted into woke ammo combined with the wokeness of new games (no gender in COD, revolution has no gender in watchdogs, etc).

So the Tony Hawks games have always had options to play as women, non-white, trans skate boarders, have they?

You guys say woke way too much. You say it so much and for so many things that it becomes meaningless. Often on here you see people say something is woke or too woke or gone woke and it's not clear what that means.

Often once you run it through a translator it means "there's a woman in the game", "there's a gay character in the game", "the player character isn't white".

Just get to the point and say what's really upsetting you.

Saruhashi

Banned
She literally writes she was always considered a tomboy in the first paragraph. At least read some of the article before bashing a woman for her looks?

It doesn't remove anything from a game to get more character options for the avatar and different scaters who are female or transgender or people of color etc.. I think that the article is written in the same clickbaity way that most articles on the internet do nowadays: Tony Hawk has done the IMPOSSSIBLE!!! OMAGAD!!! Otherwise it's just a simple piece of saying thank you for more character options in a game really nothing to be so offended about.

Who said anything about being offended?

What's with all that?

OMG why you so angry?
LOL are you offended?

Shut up.
People are talking about the article. Who cares?

Why the need to play Thread Police?
The advice you would give me regarding the article?
How about you follow the same advice regarding this thread?

Saruhashi

Banned
So the Tony Hawks games have always had options to play as women, non-white, trans skate boarders, have they?

You guys say woke way too much. You say it so much and for so many things that it becomes meaningless. Often on here you see people say something is woke or too woke or gone woke and it's not clear what that means.

Often once you run it through a translator it means "there's a woman in the game", "there's a gay character in the game", "the player character isn't white".

What's really upsetting me now are these retarded strawman arguments to be honest.

Nymphae

Banned
It's impossible to make the author feel included? Weird headline lol.

Anyway:
tXVqQdz.gif

Original had a female skater 20 years ago. I guess they have a "queer" skater now but I wouldn't have known that were it not for the fact that I watched an interview with all of the skaters and one of them made a point to talk about their sexuality for some reason because that's very important. Impact on gameplay: less than 0

Last edited:

sobaka770

Banned
Who said anything about being offended?

What's with all that?

OMG why you so angry?
LOL are you offended?

Shut up.
People are talking about the article. Who cares?

Why the need to play Thread Police?
The advice you would give me regarding the article?
How about you follow the same advice regarding this thread?

Um, what?

Montauk

For whatever reason these guys see it as a threat to the life, their identity. I don't get it either.

This game will come out. There will be an option to choose a professional non binary skate boarder. Most of you won't use it. Some people will. Some of them will like that.

You will forget it (the option) was ever a thing a week after it comes out. The industry will carry on just as it is. The world will keep turning.

I can't wait untill gaming gets out of this transition period where a loud subset gets incredibly angry anytime a game features anything like this. It's so exhausting, it's so tedious.

No-one is taking anything away from you. You can play as white straight make skateboarder all the day long. Geez.

Saruhashi

Banned
Who cares how many posts I have? You can read the forum without having an account. I used to be on Gaf (a bit) years ago, before it was like this.

My point is that it would only take you a little bit of looking around to get the feel for the place now.

Just saying maybe don't jump into a forum and within 10 posts be bitching and moaning about how people conduct themselves.

You want better threads? Maybe post for a while and don't misrepresent people and then post some threads of your own.

Don't just come charging in telling people what to say or what to think or make accusations based on what you think other people think.

Saruhashi

Banned
For whatever reason these guys see it as a threat to the life, their identity. I don't get it either.

I can't wait untill gaming gets out of this transition period where a loud subset gets incredibly angry anytime a game features anything like this. It's so exhausting, it's so tedious.

No-one is taking anything away from you. You can play as white straight make skateboarder all the day long. Geez.

Strawman.
Strawman.
Strawman.

Montauk

Just saying maybe don't jump into a forum and within 10 posts be bitching and moaning about how people conduct themselves.

You want better threads? Maybe post for a while and don't misrepresent people and then post some threads of your own.

Don't just come charging in telling people what to say or what to think or make accusations based on what you think other people think.

Again, who cares how many posts I have? How is it relevant? If I had 5,000 posts would you suddenly agree with me?

There is no requirement for me to have a certain number of posts to express a certain opinion. You're just trying to find a way to invalidate my opinion by harping on about me being a new poster.

I've been on gaming forums since 1999.

As for making better threads one person doesn't have the power to shape every discussion. All I can do as an individual is make my arguments and make a plea to people to stop getting so worked up about non threatening things. I can only ask people to please think again about what exactly your problem is with games containing a variety of people and different lives.

The truth is that this inclusion doesn't affect most of you one bit. But you all act as if someone has taken a dump in your bed, every time.

I'm a mixed race gay dude. I don't REEEEEEEE every time I see a character that isn't like me. If I did I'd be dead from REEEEEEEing that much. Most of the time I just don't care, it rarely crosses my mind.

I think most minorities are like me - not hugely angry about the representation issue but happy to see the situation getting better so that kids growing up now have at least the opportunity to see people like them in the media they consume.

I'm happy to play as straight white guys - characters don't need to represent me at all. I've never had a problem with a game because of demographic issues. But it's not about single games, it's about games as a whole. When you look at games overall there has been a lack of broader representation. You can just look at the stats for how many women are the lead protoganist of a game compared to men.

Do I sit around pulling my hair out about that? No. I'm a man and maybe I even prefer playing as a man (sexist!). But I do understand that women do want to see more women and I see nothing wrong with that. I see how it isn't fair.

At the heart of this is just trying to understand different perspectives. Imagine if it were flipped and most games had female protoganists. We'd all say "this isn't fair....dudes rock" (dudes do rock!).

Come on. This is so old and tired and depressing, all of this hysteria on here. We all just want to live and play games. There are all kinds of people in the world and having them in games isn't going to make them worse.

Montauk

I'm #cancelled.

One of my favourite characters is Lara Croft though and not because I want to nail her.

Old Lara Croft that is, as in original Lara and CD's first trilogy ("Hollywood" Lara). The new trilogy's Lara is so boring and characterless and I don't like those games anyway as they're now about being a mass murdering stealth commando in a shooter. Sigh.

It's just an article which will soon be shorter than the sum of your posts. How can you claim you're not offended/triggered if you keep posting non-stop?

67105438.jpg
Because we are having a discussion on a forum about it that can go to any length?
What a weird argument, dude.

Again, who cares how many posts I have? How is it relevant? If I had 5,000 posts would you suddenly agree with me?
Nah, you are just the newest poster who thinks he must convert everybody here to his world view.
And your meagre post count and you being here for what is basically a week tells a lot about this.

... But the original game already had a female pro skater, non-whites, and the Create-a-Skater tool. I don't see how making someone feel included was 'impossible' before when all those things already existed 20 years ago.
Well, it seems that was not enough.

Saruhashi

Banned
... But the original game already had a female pro skater, non-whites, and the Create-a-Skater tool. I don't see how making someone feel included was 'impossible' before when all those things already existed 20 years ago.

Yup. It is a really strange take.

I would actually wonder if maybe articles like this are commissioned by publishers behind the scenes.

It is basically praising a feature of the game as if it is new or unique when actually a lot of games already have character creation etc. So it's more like marketing blurb.

Hey folks maybe you haven't paid too much attention to the Tony Hawk remasters but let me tell you it's the first time I've really felt included in a game.

Saruhashi

Banned

There is no requirement for me to have a certain number of posts to express a certain opinion. You're just trying to find a way to invalidate my opinion by harping on about me being a new poster.

I've been on gaming forums since 1999.

As for making better threads one person doesn't have the power to shape every discussion. All I can do as an individual is make my arguments and make a plea to people to stop getting so worked up about non threatening things. I can only ask people to please think again about what exactly your problem is with games containing a variety of people and different lives.

The truth is that this inclusion doesn't affect most of you one bit. But you all act as if someone has taken a dump in your bed, every time.

I'm a mixed race gay dude. I don't REEEEEEEE every time I see a character that isn't like me. If I did I'd be dead from REEEEEEEing that much. Most of the time I just don't care, it rarely crosses my mind.

I think most minorities are like me - not hugely angry about the representation issue but happy to see the situation getting better so that kids growing up now have at least the opportunity to see people like them in the media they consume.

I'm happy to play as straight white guys - characters don't need to represent me at all. I've never had a problem with a game because of demographic issues. But it's not about single games, it's about games as a whole. When you look at games overall there has been a lack of broader representation. You can just look at the stats for how many women are the lead protoganist of a game compared to men.

Do I sit around pulling my hair out about that? No. I'm a man and maybe I even prefer playing as a man (sexist!). But I do understand that women do want to see more women and I see nothing wrong with that. I see how it isn't fair.

At the heart of this is just trying to understand different perspectives. Imagine if it were flipped and most games had female protoganists. We'd all say "this isn't fair....dudes rock" (dudes do rock!).

Come on. This is so old and tired and depressing, all of this hysteria on here. We all just want to live and play games. There are all kinds of people in the world and having them in games isn't going to make them worse.

You've missed the point though.

She is touting features that games have had for decades as some kind of new and unique innovation.

For some reason. You've decided to interpret people pointing that out something like "I am mad that the game has women and minorities".

You've made an irrational leap that only serves to paint others in a bad light.

Which is very similar to the feel of the article also. Pretending that games and skater culture were never inclusive until this moment when they introduced the amazing new concept of character creation.

That's very dishonest and, in my opinion, a very shitty thing to do.

Montauk

Because we are having a discussion on a forum about it that can go to any length?
What a weird argument, dude.

Nah, you are just the newest poster who thinks he must convert everybody here to his world view.
And your meagre post count and you being here for what is basically a week tells a lot about this.

Well, it seems that was not enough.

Nah, I'm just allowed to express my opinion that the discussions around these topics here are really aggressive, unpleasant and frankly embarassing. You're getting incredibly triggered just because I'm not repeating the stuff you read here everyday.

On the front page alone there are multiple threads like this. There's a thread just for people to fantasise about fake games just so they can get really angry about it.

Given that the world isn't going to go back to how it was before you're all just setting yourself up to be miserable forever. Stress isn't good for anyone's mental health.

Women are going to continue to write articles about gaming and have opinions about gaming. Games will sometimes feature non-male, non-white, non-straight characters.

You're just wasting your time. Let it go.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Subarashii respect women and don't point out things!

::

Last edited by a moderator:

Saruhashi

Banned
Nah, I'm just allowed to express my opinion that the discussions around these topics here are really aggressive, unpleasant and frankly embarassing. You're getting incredibly triggered just because I'm not repeating the stuff you read here everyday.

On the front page alone there are multiple threads like this. There's a thread just for people to fantasise about fake games just so they can get really angry about it.

Given that the world isn't going to go back to how it was before you're all just setting yourself up to be miserable forever. Stress isn't good for anyone's mental health.

Women are going to continue to write articles about gaming and have opinions about gaming. Games will sometimes feature non-male, non-white, non-straight characters.

You're just wasting your time. Let it go.

Stop talking shite.

You are deliberately missing the point by now and clearly people aren't going to let you label them with your dishonest crap.

Ar¢tos

I don't know if they had it, it has been decades since I played Tony hawk 1 on PS1. But games in general, that have character creators, have allowed to pick gender and skin color. I don't see why make a fuss over a remake including something that has been standard in more than 10 years, and praise it for magic inclusion points.
Dragons Dogma, for example, allowed to create trans characters and nobody praised it for it.
By the way, I'm GAY, there is no agenda in my posts.

Shmunter

I don't know if they had it, it has been decades since I played Tony hawk 1 on PS1. But games in general, that have character creators, have allowed to pick gender and skin color. I don't see why make a fuss over a remake including something that has been standard in more than 10 years, and praise it for magic inclusion points.
Dragons Dogma, for example, allowed to create trans characters and nobody praised it for it.
Well you could be one of those self loathing gays. Aka Hitler

Montauk

She's talking about this game not games in general. I'm not quite sure what the point of saying you're gay in giant purple letters was or the implication that gay people don't have agendas (which I assume is code for right wing politics or bigotry towards women or minorities) but ok.

JLB

Banned
Its a shame that theres no OT of this game. Its awesome! i 've just started playing it yesterday, and both graphics and gameplay are so neat. I've spent countless hours on PS1 / 2 times with it, and its so refreshing to see that the classic gameplay is still unbeatable. Dont miss this game.

Nymphae

Banned
Its a shame that theres no OT of this game. Its awesome! i 've just started playing it yesterday, and both graphics and gameplay are so neat. I've spent countless hours on PS1 / 2 times with it, and its so refreshing to see that the classic gameplay is still unbeatable. Dont miss this game.

There is one, Tesseract Tesseract just didn't put OT in the title for some reason

MiguelItUp

I mean, I absolutely love the game, but character creators like this exist elsewhere. Even better ones. This is ridiculous.

Ar¢tos

She's talking about this game not games in general. I'm not quite sure what the point of saying you're gay in giant purple letters was or the implication that gay people don't have agendas (which I assume is code for right wing politics or bigotry towards women or minorities) but ok.
*sigh*
Neo Member with 22 posts trying at all costs to start a fight.
So cliché...
Ignored.

Umbral

Reminds me of the days when I thought Kill Screen was profound.

“I feel seen.”

Gotta justify her wages, I guess.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I always wanted to be cool like "the boys." In retrospect, it's sad how toxic this idea ingrained in me—where as a cis woman, I believed I had no place among the boys club of skateboarding, no matter how cool and welcoming it seemed to be.
she is outing herself as a toxic male. this bitch is ignorant and projecting her own sexist prejudices on a movement that has always been inclusive.

sad, i knew skater kids in the 90s, they were very inclusive. women have always skated. they were in the culture from the beginning.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned

lol look at this message board hall monitor here

u got any opinions on the actual topic? or just gonna browbeat others like some bitchy schoolmarm?

Top Bottom