• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawks Pro Skater review thread

I got a good kick out of this:

HdKUQV1.png

Thanks Harper

Just flush the money down the toilet. It'd be more fun.

The sense of progression sucks, there's no real campaign, and I may be in the minority but I don't want to skate with other people a lot of the time.

Seeing others skate and glitch around, running into them, seeing their big tags from a distance...eugh. If I want to do that, I'll choose to play online from time to time.

Valkrai

Just flush the money down the toilet. It'd be more fun.

The sense of progression sucks, there's no real campaign, and I may be in the minority but I don't want to skate with other people a lot of the time.

Seeing others skate and glitch around, running into them, seeing their big tags from a distance...eugh. If I want to do that, I'll choose to play online from time to time.

Better yet, you could buy the other games in the series with that money. Much better.

GametimeUK

I was rank 1 in the world on THPS HD for a while on PS3. The original PS1 games got me in to skating and influenced and shaped my childhood. After seeing the series fall from grace I never thought it could go any lower. Turns out I was wrong. What a terrible shame. A generation of kids have had so many bad Tony Hawk games to the point it would be hard for a newcomer to look at the history and see what made the originals so special.

I'm sure this is going to be the unpopular opinion, but I gave Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 a 3 out of 5: http://www.savingcontent.com/2015/10/02/tony-hawks-pro-skater-5-review/
You sure are excited about being able to combo after the timer is up. Is having a feature that's in every other game really a positive?

"Guys, the new CoD runs at a shaky 20 FPS, is riddled with glitches, and looks like a mobile game. But check this, if you press the left trigger you can aim down the sights of your gun. This shows they really cared about maintaining the series' legacy.

3 out of 5"

roytheone

I always wanted to try the tony hawk games, but somehow never did. That was one of the reasons I was actually looking forward to HD, could have been the perfect way for me to catch up. And now with this game the series is probably dead :( Still, is it worth it to try some of the old games? What are the best ones to play today and how? (I currently only have a pretty strong gaming PC, but emulators are an option).

GametimeUK

Still, is it worth it to try some of the old games? What are the best ones to play today and how? (I currently only have a pretty strong gaming PC, but emulators are an option).

THPS 2 may be a bit too old now if you can't appreciate the PS1. THPS3, 4 and THUG are the ones to play for sure. THUG2 is a maybe and if you can get hold of a 360 you could try American Wasteland on it so the graphics don't look as dated. I recommend starting with 4 and THUG since the controls change and make 360 flips and double kickflips etc awesome.

Tainted

Sad thing is, despite the poor press....it will probably sell very well based on the brand alone and being the official 5th game in the series. Obvious cash grab is obvious

RIP THPS series 1999-2015

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Sad thing is, despite the poor press....it will probably sell very well based on the brand alone and being the official 5th game in the series. Obvious cash grab is obvious

RIP THPS series 1999-2015

I'm torn between wanting it to sell to spur some new interest the skateboarding genre (cough cough EA bring back skate you sons of cough cough) and not wanting it to sell because

he-cant-keep-getting-away-with-it.gif

Elija2

I always wanted to try the tony hawk games, but somehow never did. That was one of the reasons I was actually looking forward to HD, could have been the perfect way for me to catch up. And now with this game the series is probably dead :( Still, is it worth it to try some of the old games? What are the best ones to play today and how? (I currently only have a pretty strong gaming PC, but emulators are an option).

Of course, the old games still hold up great. THPS2 up to American Wasteland are all available on PC, but I'd say that the best ones are THPS3, THPS4, and THUG. If you can track any of them down then definitely give them a try.

mreddie

The licence ends after this year and Acti wanted to kill the brand before jumping to someone else because FUCK YOU, poisoning the brand name.

Darrenf

Such a shame how this turned out. I'll probably still buy it when the price goes way down. I bought 3 & 4 for the PS2 tonight as I've gotten in the mood for a skateboarding game due to watching footage of 5.

Loudninja

Push Square 5/10
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 had the potential to be awesome. Instead, we're left with a game that's solid but is buried beneath so many issues that it feels like it's still in beta. If you've never been a fan of the franchise, then this one certainly won't win you over. However, die-hard fans yearning for some Pro Skater action will find that, despite all of its problems, there's still some enjoyment to be had here – even if it should have been so much more.
http://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps4/tony_hawks_pro_skater_5

Game Rant 2/5
Of the many problems that Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 5 suffers from, its failure to learn from previous entries in the series is the worst. The physics on show here raise the question whether anyone at Robomodo has stepped on a skateboard — but other issues ask whether they’ve even played the earlier games in the series. It’s possible that someone unfamiliar with classics like Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 2 and Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 3 could squeeze some enjoyment out of this limp effort, but fans hoping for something of a reunion tour got a dodgy cover band instead.
http://gamerant.com/tony-hawks-pro-skater-5-reviews/

RiverBed

Banned
I just don't understand; you have the big name, the endorsement, etc. why they hell release a shitty game? "make a quick buck" doesn't make sense because this isn't a one-off, this is a franchise. What they heck are such project managers smoking?
I just don't understand.

Mahonay

Banned
I wish they'd remaster 1 and 3, at the very least.
They did Tony Hawk HD already and it was awful. Robomodo couldn't get that right either.

Maybe someone will swoop in after the Activision deal runs and make an actual good Tony Hawk game in the next few years.

I just don't understand; you have the big name, the endorsement, etc. why they hell release a shitty game? "make a quick buck" doesn't make sense because this isn't a one-off, this is a franchise. What they heck are such project managers smoking?
I just don't understand.
Their contract with Tony Hawk is ending soon

Pimpbaa

79 dollars in canada for this game! Seventy fucking nine dollars for this steaming pile of shit! I still cannot get over that.

mcrommert

Banned
Give me a break, Iron Galaxy has proven that they can make something with quality, the other two teams have proved that they are absolut incompetent and should change careers. They have ZERO projects worth a damn.
Seriously iron galaxy makes great stuff

ty_hot

Is EA ever going to release a new Skate game? I had the first one and it was really cool, fun to play and all. I know they released 2 more versions... any news about a 4th game?

Ooccoo

I feel like at this point Activision just doesn't care anymore and tries to sell as much crap as they can before regulations wipe them out of the industry because refunds on digital goods is coming sooner than later and Activision/EA will fall.

Top Bottom