• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too Human review thread of scoring lower than Haze (BOOSH)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Farnack said:
People have to understand that it is popular because it is Too Controversial.

The reason why the demo was downloaded a lot was because everyone wanted to see if it was good or bad, MS, PS, or Nintendo fanboys alike. Everyone downloaded it to check up Dyack's bluff.
Get out of your Gaf bubble, dude. The gaming world doesn't revolve around this forum. The game is a 3 part 360 exclusive from a known developer that was readily hyped, that's why it's demo was played as much as it was.

eastside49er said:
:lol

So when did 56/53 (Lair for GR and MC) and 57/55 (Haze GR and MC) = 68/67 (Too Human GR and MC)?

Ignorance is bliss.

When did 68/67 start being the benchmark for "one of the better games this year"?

FrankT

Fenderputty said:
When did 68/67 start being the benchmark for "one of the better games this year"?

One of the better games this year. Is that your claim as I seem to miss that claim from his post. Doesn't sound like he saying that whatsoever.

Christine

Jtyettis said:
One of the better games this year. Is that your claim as I seem to miss that claim from his post. Doesn't sound like he saying that whatsoever.

It's from the Dyack's OP in the FOR/AGAINST thread.

TwinIonEngines said:

This ...

I've already said it. I don't think a 67/68 is a bad game by any means. It's not great, but it's surely not a horrid wreck. Dyack set himself up though. The bar became much higher here once that thread was created.

FrankT

TwinIonEngines said:

Which he simply didn't comment on at all. What he did say however is that those scores do not seem to add up so well, which is more than clear at this point.

Xplay 4/5

Jtyettis said:
Which he simply didn't comment on at all. What he did say however is that those scores do not seem to add up so well, which is more than clear at this point.

Xplay 4/5

Just saw that. Even said "a very strong 4/5". This game is so polarizing, the reviews actually DON'T help a purchaser decide if the game is for them because the scores are all over the place.

Zophar

Jtyettis said:

Xplay 4/5
Xplay's review was a fucking joke. The only positive things they could really say was "Baldr is a badass" and "the visuals are great" and even with a laundry list of flaws they still gave it a glowing score. They didn't even think the story was all that hot, which you'd think would be the redeeming quality here.

FrankT

Darth Tigris said:
Just saw that. Even said "a very strong 4/5". This game is so polarizing, the reviews actually DON'T help a purchaser decide if the game is for them because the scores are all over the place.

As I knew they would be.

Zophar said:
Xplay's review was a fucking joke. The only positive things they could really say was "Baldr is a badass" and "the visuals are great" and even with a laundry list of flaws they still gave it a glowing score. They didn't even think the story was all that hot, which you'd think would be the redeeming quality here.

Laundry list my ass. Yea they definitely hit on the major cons, but laundry list I don't think so. They hit on what they thought needed work and said the storyline while not up to par was good enough to setup a trilogy. Otherwise it seemed they enjoyed it quite a bit.

Snaku

Banned
Zophar said:

I missed the review. Hope it's online soon. I need a laugh.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Jtyettis said:

Xplay 4/5
The guy practically targeted gaf in his review with that one crack. First X-play I've seen in years. Well worth it :lol

FrankT

Shaheed79 said:
The guy practically targeted gaf in his review with that one crack. First X-play I've seen in years. Well worth it :lol

Yea, definitely picked up on that. G4 trolling the GAF. :lol

Zophar said:

Actually I remember them saying, and I quote, "it may not be perfect, but we've had a great time playing this action RPG. Twice, actually." Also "we immediately started on our 2nd game as soon as were done watching the credits."

So basically the reason they didn't give it 5 stars is because of the flaws they named at the end. But they had FUN with it, as I sure did with the demo, flaws and all.

But not everyone loves the game. That's fine. We all have opinions. But don't minimize anothers opinion just because it doesn't gel with yours. If you do that, then you prove that Dyack was right ...

Chrange

Banned
Fenderputty said:

That'll probably top 99% of the Wii library, so that would put in among the better games of the year wouldn't it?

arne

Chrange said:
That'll probably top 99% of the Wii library, so that would put in among the better games of the year wouldn't it?

oh no you didn't!

the thing is, these review scores might affect the long-term prospects of game sales if word of mouth doesn't help/hinder it, but given what we've seen of the marketing spend and the weight thrown around, this game will sell well right now regardless of the scores.

kevm3

More than anything, it's hard to believe the game actually came out. This was supposed to come otuduring thepsx days.

Chrange

Banned
arne said:
oh no you didn't!

Go to Wal-Mart and check the bin of $20 games that grows weekly. There are two of them here now. One has old 360 games like Table Tennis and Surfs Up, along with PS2 games. The other is entirely Wii games. Some of them are brand new releases, but you'd never hear about them if you didn't go to the store and sift through that bin.

The amount of shovelware for the Wii absolutely destroys any other console I've ever seen.

Chrange said:
Go to Wal-Mart and check the bin of $20 games that grows weekly. There are two of them here now. One has old 360 games like Table Tennis and Surfs Up, along with PS2 games. The other is entirely Wii games. Some of them are brand new releases, but you'd never hear about them if you didn't go to the store and sift through that bin.

The amount of shovelware for the Wii absolutely destroys any other console I've ever seen.

Wow apparently you've never seen any PS2 shovelware.

Popular console = Much more shovelware.

Ignorance.

Farnack

Banned
FunkyMunkey said:
Wow apparently you've never seen any PS2 shovelware.

Popular console = Much more shovelware.

Ignorance.
Apparently you don't know that Wii's shovelware sell better than the serious titles.

Snaku

Banned
Xplay said:
Baldur is a BADASS! A true anti hero in a sea of imitators.

And they tie this statement with a scene that's ripped right from Berserk, making Baldur look like a really lame Guts imitator. :lol

Farnack said:
Take Carnival Games vs MP3 maybe?

Very few Wii shovelware games have sold extremely well and a family-oriented one that's on a family-oriented console is hardly amazing. And MP3 had almost zero advertising while I actually saw commercials for carnival games.

Ps2 has more shovelware. That's all I'm saying. And if Wii shovelware sells better than ps2 ones, than that actually blurs the line of them even being shovelware in the first place.

Thread: Impressions from users for Too Human are good so far and I might change my mind and buy this if a lot of people like it. The reviewers are still very disheartening though =/.

Farnack

Banned
FunkyMunkey said:
Very few Wii shovelware games have sold extremely well and a family-oriented one that's on a family-oriented console is hardly amazing. And MP3 had almost zero advertising while I actually saw commercials for carnival games.

Ps2 has more shovelware. That's all I'm saying. And if Wii shovelware sells better than ps2 ones, than that actually blurs the line of them even being shovelware in the first place.

Thread: Impressions from users for Too Human are good so far and I might change my mind and buy this if a lot of people like it. The reviewers are still very disheartening though =/.
Yeah, but the PS2's shovelware hardly even matter because they do terrible. The Wii is getting shovelware because they sell real well which sets a bad tone for the direction of what the industry should develop.

Farnack said:
Yeah, but the PS2's shovelware hardly even matter because they do terrible. The Wii is getting shovelware because they sell real well which sets a bad tone for the direction of what the industry should develop.

I agree completely. The wii will hopefully avoid falling into the niche of being a minigame machine but having a large kid userbase, it's gonna be hard.

Slurmer

Banned
"Xplay 4/5"

Seems they liked it, but I know they've been looking forward to it for a while now. Adam was all about it back when Xplay had their "Too Human" week or whatever it was.

Darth Tigris said:

It is a love or hate game. Some are making it out to be the worst game ever which is hilarious to say the least. Comparing this game to likes of Haze and Lair is stupidity at its finest. Those games weren't love or hate. They just flat out sucked.

Any way, it sounds like if you liked Diablo, you will probably like Too Human. It is all about the loot and customization of your character in this game. Nothing more, nothing less.

StuBurns

Banned
Jtyettis said:
He said it was the best game they had made, and that the media would agree. ED has their highest metacritic rating, I think it's 92%. So it should be 92% or higher.

He can argue all he likes, DenisDyack has been 'Owned by NeoGAF'.

Ariexv

stuburns said:
He said it was the best game they had made, and that the media would agree. ED has their highest metacritic rating, I think it's 92%. So it should be 92% or higher.

Shouldn't we wait for sales to see if that's really true? :p

FrankT

stuburns said:

I wasn't talking about Dyack in the first place neither was eastside49er, which he was responding to. Nothing to do with Dyack as all.

Jtyettis said:

Exactly. I was basically pointing out the morons comparing this game to Haze and Lair earlier in the thread which is outrageous.

Too Human is going to be one of those love or hate types which is why the reviews so far have been all over the place.

I'd say it is a rent before buy game.

MrDaravon

Linkzg said:

In that he sounds fairly positive on the co-op play, which is my main reason for getting this, so that's cool. The whole video review is basically a verbal iteration of his review though, not much new dialogue. I was almost hoping that it was recorded after to maybe going into some more details (Sound/Music is still not mentioned at all).

eastside49er said:
Exactly. I was basically pointing out the morons comparing this game to Haze and Lair earlier in the thread which is outrageous.

Too Human is going to be one of those love or hate types which is why the reviews so far have been all over the place.

I'd say it is a rent before buy game.
It's only a love it or hate it game because Denis made it so for the people around here.

Amongst the general gaming populace, the game's going to be far less controversial and probably at the very least enjoyed by many.

Stitch

Gold Member
i'm playing the demo right now. the fighting part isn't so bad actually but goddamnit the awful cutscenes are driving me crazy. the stupid camera too...

and whats up with the framerate!? it's really low sometimes.

and the target system is absolutely useless... i'm trying to shoot that rocketrobot right now but i can't >:[

Chrange said:

You could be poking fun at the Wii, but I'll pretend you're not though. Doing a search on MC for games released on PC,360,PS3 and Wii, with a score of 80+ dated release after 01.01.08, I get 70 results and the year isn't close to over with a lot of the blockbusters still to come.

Segata Sanshiro said:
It's only a love it or hate it game because Denis made it so for the people around here.

Amongst the general gaming populace, the game's going to be far less controversial and probably at the very least enjoyed by many.

I barely post over here so I must have missed that.

I do know that I enjoyed the demo. I'll probably still rent before I buy the game though just to be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom