• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too Human review thread of scoring lower than Haze (BOOSH)

Status
Not open for further replies.

purg3

slept with Malkin
(neutral) Polari
sinse wen duz 3/5 ekwal 6/10? maths hurt brayn
(Today, 12:10 AM)
Reply | Quote

:lol nice

Avrum

[To the tune of Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start the Fire"]

Too Human is out today, but the critics stay away,
Ten year plan, front to back, did not help one bit.
Should have launched on PS1, back then it might have been fun,
Sorry Dyack, no one wants this shit.

If your rants were better culled, maybe punches would be pulled,
But alas, you pushed on, and hoped the GAF would fold.
The troops in tow helped draw the line, sorry, better luck next time,
Maybe we'll be ruled by one console.

We didn't start the fighting,
There were only posts responding to your boasts.
A space in bargain bins, reserved for Too Human.

Ikaris

0653_homer-eating-popcorn-small-c7873.JPG

SPEA

Avrum said:
[To the tune of Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start the Fire"]

Too Human is out today, but the critics stay away,
Ten year plan, front to back, did not help one bit.
Should have launched on PS1, back then it might have been fun,
Sorry Dyack, no one wants this shit.

If your rants were better culled, maybe punches would be pulled,
But alas, you pushed on, and hoped the GAF would fold.
The troops in tow helped draw the line, sorry, better luck next time,
Maybe we'll be ruled by one console.

There were only posts responding to your boasts.
A space in bargain bins, reserved for Too Human.
You actually took time to think all of that up. In your room. Alone. Wow.

Avrum

SPEA said:
You actually took time to think all of that up. In your room. Alone. Wow.

Yeah, well, I would have asked my cousin for help but he's busy preparing a post midnight snack.

So yes, I suppose I did do it alone. Wow, indeed.

SPEA

Shins said:
Do you pull a house party out of your ass every time you write a twelve-line post?
He wrote 2 verses and a chorus about Dyack to the tune of "We Didn't Start the Fire". I guess I'm the only one that finds that quite pathetic. Whatever, carry on.

t4ng0

SPEA said:
He wrote 2 verses and a chorus about Dyack to the tune of "We Didn't Start the Fire". I guess I'm the only one that finds that quite pathetic. Whatever, carry on.
Nice internetz rib.

I forget, what's going to be the deciding factor on Dyack vs. Gaf on this one?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
t4ng0 said:
Nice internetz rib.

I forget, what's going to be the deciding factor on Dyack vs. Gaf on this one?

Are you talking about the TH Metacritic score? Gotta be lower than Haze and Lair, which are 55 and 53, respectively, for GAF to win. Right now, TH sits at a skyscraping 68.

Woo-Fu

Banned
SPEA said:

Eh, his post is better than the one I'm replying to.

SickBoy

Segata Sanshiro said:
That's definitely true, and the same goes for letter grades. If you think about it, it ends up almost completely invalidating what sites like gamerankings and metacritic do.

I agree wholeheartedly with the assertion that a 3/5 review score is a lot different from a 6/10 review score, but I don't agree with this.

Every big game is reviewed in roughly the same review environment, so while a 3/5 might drag down a Metacritic score, it's not going to unfairly hurt it in comparison to its contemporaries. Review trends will hurt a game in terms of historical comparisons, but that's about it.

Stumpokapow said:
Famitsu dropped a 28/40 (7 7 7 7) on Too Human.

(By way of comparison, Haze got a 34/40)

That's a good way, put the scores from the same magazines up against each other. Go round for round, be more entertaining.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Private Hoffman said:
Just saw G4 TV's Kevin defend Too Human, saying that "the game is fun because it makes you feel like a badass...and loot!"

http://api.seesmic.com/#/video/bC3G2bh7jy/watch

I'm sorry, but when did loot make up for a bad game? It's a stupid superficial gimmick. People who play bad games for loot need to rethink their tastes.
So now core gameplay aspects are gimmicks? :lol

It's fine if you disagree with his opinion but that statement is shitte.

Dyno

PhatSaqs said:
So now core gameplay aspects are gimmicks? :lol

It's fine if you disagree with his opinion but that statement is shitte.

Loot has been done WAY better in other games. Diablo (of course) and even Baldur's Gate/Champions of Norath did it better.

Zeliard

Private Hoffman said:
I'm sorry, but when did loot make up for a bad game? It's a stupid superficial gimmick. People who play bad games for loot need to rethink their tastes.

Remove the loot from any Diablo-esque game and it all becomes a pointless excercise in tedium and repetition. It's arguably the single most important aspect of the genre. Titan Quest suffered because you don't get decent loot until playing it on higher difficulties, which you have to unlock by beating the game first (unless you use a mod).

I don't even like Kevin Peerierierierarea or whatever.

But he pretty much calls GameSpot out on their shit.

Loot has been done WAY better in other games. Diablo (of course) and even Baldur's Gate/Champions of Norath did it better.

What do you mean WAY better?

Loot is loot.

1> Do you get shit?

Yes.

2> Is this new shit better than your old shit?

Yes.

Definition - Loot

I don't know what dynamics are involved to suddenly make loot any different.

KTallguy

Banned
Wow, the apologetic nature of this video blog is pretty deplorable:

- UI sucks
- Character models suck
- Story sucks
- Falling through the floor
- Buggy

BUT IT MAKES YOU FEEL LIKE A BAD ASS!

Honestly, there are many many games out there that make you feel like a bad ass. Why put up with the above to play this one?

KTallguy said:
Wow, the apologetic nature of this video blog is pretty deplorable:

- UI sucks
- Character models suck
- Story sucks
- Falling through the floor
- Buggy

BUT IT MAKES YOU FEEL LIKE A BAD ASS!

Honestly, there are many many games out there that make you feel like a bad ass. Why put up with the above to play this one?

I think what he's trying to say is that the game of this game is workable and satisfying.

You know. The part you play and derive pleasure from. You know. Your hobby. You call yourself a gamer, not a movier, or charactermodler critic.

border

kyle (in stereo) said:
Problems are explained pretty well in the 1up review. Too much stuff, too often. No sense of accomplishment.

If loot is the major 'gameplay mechanic' of your game, you know it has problems.

Maybe that's why I don't play these sorts of games in general. It just seems completely pointless and not even entertaining to constantly grind, but maybe if the fighting mechanics, UI, graphics, and storyline were good then it would make the grinding fun, but Too Human doesn't have any of that.

Loot on its own is not a good enough reason to say the game has quality, sorry.

I'm not saying loot is a bad mechanic to use, but it certainly is if it's the only redeemable quality of a game. Loot by itself cannot carry a game.

border said:
Problems are explained pretty well in the 1up review. Too much stuff, too often. No sense of accomplishment.

Not really.

"I like loot. This game has loot. But the loot I get is outdated when I get new loot."

Go read my quick rundown of what loot is above and you'll see how this logic is flawed.

If loot is the major 'gameplay mechanic' of your game, you know it has problems.

Doesn't hurt Diablo or World of Warcraft.

Maybe that's why I don't play these sorts of games in general. It just seems completely pointless and not even entertaining to constantly grind, but maybe if the fighting mechanics, UI, graphics, and storyline were good then it would make the grinding fun, but Too Human doesn't have any of that.

Loot on its own is not a good enough reason to say the game has quality, sorry.

Ah, well, in this case, I can agree with you. Loot isn't something people hold important. Some people don't really care. It's 50/50, really.

KTallguy

Banned
kyle (in stereo) said:
I think what he's trying to say is that the game of this game is workable and satisfying.

You know. The part you play and derive pleasure from. You know. Your hobby. You call yourself a gamer, not a movier, or charactermodler critic.

Of course, but all of the things I listed are part of the game. Falling through the floor, bugs, animation glitches, they all hinder my enjoyment of the game. Bad character models also hinder immersion and don't make me feel bad ass.

I think that loot can be a selling point, but the surrounding game must also be compelling. Loot only matters because it enables you in the game world.
(Note, I didn't play Diablo 2 because of phat loots, I played it because it was a game of exceeding depth and production values).

Honestly, if you want a game about loot, it's better to play WoW.
If you want an action game about being bad ass, there's God of War.

Wanting something that coherently combines both is good. I'd wait for Diablo 3.

Of course, but all of the things I listed are part of the game. Falling through the floor, bugs, animation glitches, they all hinder my enjoyment of the game. Bad character models also hinder immersion and don't make me feel bad ass.

I think that loot can be a selling point, but the surrounding game must also be compelling. Loot only matters because it enables you in the game world.
(Note, I didn't play Diablo 2 because of phat loots, I played it because it was a game of exceeding depth and production values).

Wanting something that coherently combines both is good. I'd wait for Diablo 3.

Fair enough, but I've played buggy games before. Annoyances, but workable if the game itself is good.

I just like the fact that he calls GameSpot out on their bullshit. I thought IGN was lying about their Operation Darkness review. But no one should ever play that game. Ever.

border

kyle (in stereo) said:
Not really.

"I like loot. This game has loot. But the loot I get is outdated when I get new loot."

Go read my quick rundown of what loot is above and you'll see how this logic is flawed.
People like to be able to hold on to things for a while, and don't like to have to check the the slow inventory UI after every single fight.

PhatSaqs

Banned
border said:
People like to be able to hold on to things for a while, and don't like to have to check the the slow inventory UI after every single fight.
So......dont check the slow inventory UI after every single fight?

KTallguy said:

Such binary answers. What if you just don't want WoW or God of War, or have already played them enough to be done with them.

Anyway I think it's becoming clear that plenty of people out there are having fun with this game. In that sense it's not a failure.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
I never visit the inventory after every fight... that's useless. Just wait after a few and then enter into it to see what you have.

Rolf NB

kyle (in stereo) said:
I don't even like Kevin Peerierierierarea or whatever.

But he pretty much calls GameSpot out on their shit.

What do you mean WAY better?

Loot is loot.

1> Do you get shit?

Yes.

2> Is this new shit better than your old shit?

Yes.

Definition - Loot

If you don't understand the finer points of loot in a game context, that's great, I'm sure you use your brain volume for other awesome stuff, but please just don't do what Denis Dyack did and try to make a game about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom