• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JulAug17| Most Definitely the Work of an Enemy Stand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xe4

Banned
Tokyo Ghoul is kind of like a low key example of some shit police departments do. I doubt it was planned though.They're trying to make it sympathetic, which is like, the opposite of what they should be doing.

Stands will get explained more later to show why she's dying. Like I said, normally they'd take their time to prepare thouroughly to make sure they can get to Dio, but now the timeline has gone up tremendously. It's a nice storybeat, because Jotaro needs some type of motivation, and the only thing we know that he loves deep down is his mom, and it also forces the crew to fight in supremely overwhelming odds which is what Araki is absolutely beastly at writing at.

I don't see a problem with a son trying to save his mom from dying though. In fact, that makes Jotaro a much better protagonist in my eyes and really fleshes out his character

Using a mom or girlfriend dying is just a really lazy and overplayed cliche. that's what I'm saying. And it's not that she's dying, it's that unlike all the other guys with stands she's "too weak", which just really rubs me the wrong way.

BBboy20

Using a mom or girlfriend dying is just a really lazy and overplayed cliche. that's what I'm saying. And it's not that she's dying, it's that unlike all the other guys with stands she's "too weak", which just really rubs me the wrong way.
...but it was established she is dying.

Seda

Not every character has to be battle capable and tough and all that, but when the team is four muscle head dudes and it's the one Jojo woman that is too 'weak' to help herself....yeah.....

Ok so I get why he's messed up but did Shinohara drop Juzo off at the local Hot Topic every day after work? is that why he looks like Jack Skellington's bastard child?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Not every character has to be battle capable and tough and all that, but when the team is four muscle head dudes and it's the one Jojo woman that is too 'weak' to help herself....yeah.....

Stardust Crusaders may be the low point which is saying something.

Raxus

If it makes you feel better.

There are actually quite a few female stand users in JoJo.

Korigama

I had much more of a problem with how they handled things with Lisa Lisa last arc, which was complete BS. I'm more willing to give them a pass on this one.

cntr

Banned
Yeah, it's pretty naff.

Araki's said that he feels embarrassed about how badly he wrote women in the early parts, so he does eventually get it right.
And he hits it out of the park.

But yeah, Part 3 isn't that great in this regard.

I had much more of a problem with how they handled things with Lisa Lisa last arc, which was complete BS. I'm more willing to give them a pass on this one.
In that case, it was editor interference. Araki intended for Lisa Lisa to fight Kars.

Xe4

Banned
I can't believe you're friends with a total psychopath murderer. That's like *so* cool!
...but it was established she is dying.
I'm just saying it's a cliche which is super obvious when compared against the guys of the JoJo family. It just has some unfortunate conclusions that people can draw which the author probably didn't mean to convey Apparently it gets better in that regard (which is awesome!), I was simply talking about this episode.

Yeah, I don't think it was intentional, and I'm all for a diversity of personalities in a show, but it is unfortunate.

So this klutzy character?

She's evil in the manga, and gets off on Kaneki's suffering.

Oh yeah, I remember that now... Been a moment since I've read and I haven't kept up except hearing about certain things like
Kaneki and Toka's night in the sheets

Devil... Oh god, her voice there...

Everybody in this episode:

YaTNDTE.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom