• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami on right now!? Is this an April Fool's troll?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Because anime failed to blow up in the US like everyone thought it would. Toonami is very much of a certain time and of a certain place and sadly, there's no replicating it today.

Umm it did blow up, it's just the kids that watched it grew up into teenagers and started torrenting the shit out of it (not to say the dub companies were any better, overpricing their DVDs to hell and back.) It was unfortunately mutually-assured destruction. And without the home market, dub companies dubbed less or went out of business, leaving Toonami very little to work with (they could only air kid anime, or at best teen-oriented fair.) That's why they eventually resorted to American shows just to pad the schedule and eventually collapsed to being Saturday-only.

Even still, I think Toonami today could be successful, they just couldn't rely on having new shows every year, instead falling back on their old catalog. As a three hour block every week I think it would at least be worth a shot. (As for a weekday Toonami, that's out of the question for now, but who knows what the future holds?)

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I don't know what the fuck is going

Where's the harem? This isn't the Tenchi I remember

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
"Do not move! You could shatter the third dimension!"

LOOOL WHAT THE FUCK

Tamanon

Banned
Wat? Tenchi's not about metaphysical nonsense and silly villains. It's about Tenchi being a pimp, and infighting.

The Gundam Wing collection (box one and two) can be cheap when they are in stock on GoHastings. Especially when using promo codes. Sometimes the Hastings third party seller on Amazon has them cheap. G Gundam can be had on eBay for cheap usually.
I bought both recently and watched all of G Gundam with a buddy. So good...

WHY DID YOU TELL ME THIS!?

okay i'm stuck without access to cn right now and holy shit this sounds amazing

well except for tenchi

but that's sort of a given

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU EVEN TALKING ABOUT DUDES?

W...

what the hell is going on??

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I find it funny they're showing this considering it never aired on Toonami. This is from Ryo-Ohki OVA 3 and came out in Japan in 2005, long after Tenchi was gone from Toonami.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Can you guys believe Toonami lasted all the way up to 2008? I had no idea. How the fuck was Toonami still on the air when I was 17. Blows my mind.

It wasn't. Toonami ended in 2007 with Tom 3.0. There was nothing after (except, maybe, a short final broadcast goodbye. "Bang.")

Cagey

Banned
Back in the day, Tenchi and Outlaw Star were the 5:30pm slot that meant it was time for put on Pardon the Interruption.

GIMME REBOOT.

Izick

I would have preferred something from the original OVA, Universe.. or even Tenchi in Tokyo lol

What Tecnhi is this? Is this the regular show?

Back in the day, Tenchi and Outlaw Star were the 5:30pm slot that meant it was time for put on Pardon the Interruption.

GIMME REBOOT.

iFjj4x3sLxRrl.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom