• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami on right now!? Is this an April Fool's troll?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izick

I'm glad people can appreciate this, even only as a one time thing.

For something that was a "joke," it felt pretty special to me. Seeing all those great shows again brought back a lot of great memories, and it was cool everyone on Gaf got to enjoy them together! :p

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!

For something that was a "joke," it felt pretty special to me. Seeing all those great shows again brought back a lot of great memories, and it was cool everyone on Gaf got to enjoy them together! :p

Definitely. That was one of the best parts was enjoying it with everyone else around here.

SykoTech

Woah, how did I miss this thread? Nice to know that this didn't go by unnoticed.

I'd love for this to become permanent, similar to Nick's The 90s are All That.

Jintor

This also speaks to me about a difference in media consumption (i.e. that it's possible for a single person to enable a tonne of 'unauthorised' viewers) that should probably be thought about as well.

Izick

This also speaks to me about a difference in media consumption (i.e. that it's possible for a single person to enable a tonne of 'unauthorised' viewers) that should probably be thought about as well.

What exactly do you mean, Jintor?

Jintor

Not of course that any of us know anything about that

But speaking practically, the stream chat is something I haven't really experienced for traditional programming before and which I find extremely compelling.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Maybe he's talking about that stream link that let everyone who didn't have the channel watch it as well.

Actually helped me out a bit differently since I actually do have the channel, but my TV was stolen and i haven't gotten around to replacing it quite yet.

Watching it on an actual TV would have been ideal for me.

Jintor

I still don't actually know if this affected Cartoon Network outside of the States, especially given that we're ahead of time. There's the disturbing possibility that CN Australia aired this like a day before the States did but nobody noticed

Izick

Okay, I think I understand now.

I'm also curious if they did Toonami outside the U.S., because I'm sure they'd have to get extra licenses for the shows and what not, but I feel like once word of mouth spreads, and videos turn up on Youtube, they'll be getting a lot of non-U.S. buzz to go along with the U.S. buzz.

So what actually plays on Cartoon Network weekday afternoons?

Last I checked, they just play the same 4 or 5 shows over and over until Adult Swim takes over(which does pretty much the same thing). Adventure Time, Johnny Test, Regular Show, etc.

It's not much different than most networks in this regard.

Ultimadrago

Not of course that any of us know anything about that

But speaking practically, the stream chat is something I haven't really experienced for traditional programming before and which I find extremely compelling.

Sure, it was a bunch of perverted, twisted and nonsensical comments, but it along with the Gaf forum really added a ton to the experience for me.

Hope it happens again next year at least.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Anyone have a link handy for all the bumps? Or the whole stream? Fell asleep right before YYH ended.

Okay, I think I understand now.

I'm also curious if they did Toonami outside the U.S., because I'm sure they'd have to get extra licenses for the shows and what not, but I feel like once word of mouth spreads, and videos turn up on Youtube, they'll be getting a lot of non-U.S. buzz to go along with the U.S. buzz.

They did Toonami in other countries (and I think it still ran in a few until very recently).
Of course, the voice for Tom and the shows were different.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
You can do a lot worse than Johnny Test. CN is a lot better now than their Dark Ages period (roughly 2008-2010, or the IRL era.)

Tookay

This really just took me back to grade school, when everybody was talking about DBZ and Gundam Wing. We'd have arguments over who was the coolest... such good times.

Jintor

Sure, it was a bunch of perverted, twisted and nonsensical comments, but it along with the Gaf forum really added a ton to the experience for me.

Hope it happens again next year at least.

Sharing the experience is now a very very large part of consuming media. It's really cool.

Moaradin

Flapjack, Chowder, and Adventure Time are their only DECENT shows CN has put out lately. I heard Chower and Flapjack are not even airing anymore, so AT is all they have left and the rest is filled with live action reality show garbage.

Dishwalla

Banned
Flapjack, Chowder, and Adventure Time are their only DECENT shows CN has put out lately. I heard Chower and Flapjack are not even airing anymore, so AT is all they have left and the rest is filled with live action reality show garbage.

Except none of those reality shows air anymore. The only live action show on the schedule is Level Up, some weird action adventure show.

Regular Show and Young Justice as well.

yencid

they are showing them on fridays. but no these arent the only good shows. they've been having great momentum.

What? No. Flapjack was pretty much a testbed for Adventure Time/Regular Show anyway- those shows pick up Flapjack's ball and run with it.

Flapjack is good, but AT/RS wouldn't look out-of-place in the golden era.

Regular Show is good when I catch it but not good enough for me to seek out. Adventure Time? I just can't.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yeah, but Johnny Test is one of the dark points of their lineup right now.

It isn't a horrible show. I actually think the writing has some pretty bright spots but the style and, well, the show itself kind of don't let you see it. It can be pretty funny at times.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Regular Show and Young Justice as well.

You're all forgetting CN's absolute best show at the moment:

tN1ix.png

Wish I could say the same about Thundercats... :/

I haven't seen those yet but if Young Justice is as good as their old DC shows, then it should be pretty good.

Also, they need to bring back Teen Titans.

They are, as shorts for DC Nation.

KingK

I haven't seen those yet but if Young Justice is as good as their old DC shows, then it should be pretty good.

Also, they need to bring back Teen Titans.

Teen Titans was awesome. I hated how they canceled it before we ever got to see why Terra lost her memory!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Teen Titans was awesome. I hated how they canceled it before we ever got to see why Terra lost her memory!

That was kinda the point. If it had continued they likely wouldn't have explored that at all (heck the movie, Trouble in Tokyo, after the series didn't.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom