• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami on right now!? Is this an April Fool's troll?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Teen Titans was cool maan

The fake anime shit going annoying after a while, but I mostly agree. Angsty Robin was annoying, but given that, well, he's Batman's sidekick, it makes sense. The DC history lesson was sweet too, as my younger self only knew as far as Supes, Batman and Wonder Woman. Beast Boy is the shit.

Maron

The fake anime shit going annoying after a while, but I mostly agree. Angsty Robin was annoying, but given that, well, he's Batman's sidekick, it makes sense. The DC history lesson was sweet too, as my younger self only knew as far as Supes, Batman and Wonder Woman. Beast Boy is the shit.

THIS. Animesque shows like TT really turned me off anime for a while. And as a child I wasn't really ever able to properly say why exactly Robin annoyed me but you nailed it. I hated how he never seemed to chill out a bit and have some fun.

Yah I find it hard to watch Teen Titans now. The "fake anime" buts are so glaringly bad.

This is the way I see it. CN put a good deal of effort into this, not to mention money, and it seems like this was more than a AFD prank. Look at it this way, what have they done in the past? Put mustaches on anime characters? Insert fart noises into shows? Rerun old Saved By The Bell episodes and a B-rated movie? None of those past pranks required the resources that last night did.

This year is also Cartoon Network's 20th anniversary, and they've already been bringing back old shows and programming blocks, so why not bring back Toonami for a bit? It can't hurt them.

Yeah, I'd like to think they wanted to test the waters and gauge reactions. If it did lousy, they could just say, "Oh well, April Fools gag" But this is oddly coincidental after JUST starting a revived Cartoon Planet block.

As I think has been said already, there is no shortage of great quality animation nowadays from either America or Japan. What really pushed Toonami to Omega Tom Hanks tier was the packaging. That Space Promo? GOD DAMN is/was it good and that is only one example. That sort of stuff is totally gone nowadays; the few blocks they have today like DC Nation have no heart, soul, or unified image.

With the right mix of new school and classic animation and the proper packaging, I think they could definitely brink back Toonami. The rating potential is there but it will require some effort; I dunno if CN has any desire to exert it though.

Yeah, when I first heard about DC Nation, I was thinking, "Hey! A DC themed Toonami? Awesome!" Was really disappointed it's just two shows together. with a couple special "commercials" Really lackluster presentation, no flair. As I said in the USM thread, at least Marvel/Disney put some effort in their overall block (although still no Toonami).

Anyway, I know I'm late (work all day today) but this was great fun last night. It was a kick to not just see Tenchi, but Tenchi I'd never seen before. Was talking with my sister about how Ayeka would sound so much better if she was voiced by Tabitha St Germain, aka Rarity who's Ayeka done right.

I've got Outlaw Star already, but it's been a while since I watched it. Still great, but damn that Melfina voice is bad. Everyone else is great.

Gundam Wing though, man that series is awful. I never liked it THAT much as a kid (preferred 08th MS Team and G Gundam) I mean coming off of just watching Young Justice, Wing's cast is so flat and bland. There's definitely some weird scripting going on too. "More graceful. MORE GRACEFUL." wat? And I swear, looking at Hiro and Relena now, there's an alarming similarity between them and Edward and Bella from Twilight. Maybe it's just me.

supahkiwi

Banned
warha.png

And so it begins....

United States trends
· Change

#twitterhoe
#BringBackToonami
#EricaRapping
No Foul
Abraham Washington
Anthony Davis
MarchingBandMidnight
We Love Miley
Kansas

Oh snap.

B.K.

I don't really see why people want Toonami back. Last Saturday night was great for the nostalgia, but that's all it was. The nostalgia made the night. If they brought back Toonami, it wouldn't be the same.

Cranzor

Well I did my part. I never really watched it when it was on, I feel like it missed out. I'm pretty excited, I hope they bring it back. They're at least considering it now. Playing Toonami on April Fools was a really smart idea.

I don't really see why people want Toonami back. Last Saturday night was great for the nostalgia, but that's all it was. The nostalgia made the night. If they brought back Toonami, it wouldn't be the same.

How so?
The package still works perfectly.
They bring back some classic Anime and mix it in with some new stuff, and maybe some American cartoons, record new Steve Blum lines, maybe do a new mini series about Tom, some game reviews.
And of course, wonder wonderful bumps.

B.K.

They bring back some classic Anime and mix it in with some new stuff, and maybe some American cartoons, record new Steve Blum lines, maybe do a new mini series about Tom, some game reviews.

They won't relicense their old shows or new shows. They're trying their best to get away from anime. It won't be long before Adult Swim is nothing but Fox shows and cheap Adult Swim original animated and live action shows.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
They won't relicense their old shows or new shows. They're trying their best to get away from anime. It won't be long before Adult Swim is nothing but Fox shows and cheap Adult Swim original animated and live action shows.

If they were trying to abandon anime completely, they wouldn't be teasing a Toonami return.

ezekial45

Banned
Honestly its starting to sound like there is more than a chance, I imagine their ratings sky rocketed.

Yeah, it must've. Their ratings for saturday night usually is pretty decent. Nowhere near their sunday programming, but good enough to keep it going. I wouldn't be surprised if they had doubled viewership that night.

wwm0nkey

Yeah, it must've. Their ratings for saturday night usually is pretty decent. Nowhere near their sunday programming, but good enough to keep it going. I wouldn't be surprised if they had doubled viewership that night.

With the lack of good April fools jokes and the amount of people talking about it on the internet (who I imagine also told their friends who don't have twitter) I would say a 2x-3x increase was likely to happen.

RedBoot

Cartoon Network (which, for programming and advertising purposes is a separate entity from Adult Swim) is certainly moving away from anime. But I think AS is okay with having a small bit of it on one night a week. If wrapping Toonami around that and showing a few classic shows raises ratings, then why not?

There is a part of me that thinks a real Toonami revival would need to be on weeknights, showing a few classics and some new action shows (which are much rarer these days, sadly), and doing what Toonami was created for in the old days. On the other hand, I'm quite aware that Toonami bumps surrounding Outlaw Star and Big O reruns every Saturday night would make me more likely to watch AS than I do now, so there's that.

BoSox06DH

I need Toonami back in my life. Also I wouldn't mind having a new generation of kids experiencing what we as kids during the 90's experienced in today's age. There are only a handful of truly great cartoons today, they deserves more than what they are getting.

Jintor

Cartoon Network (which, for programming and advertising purposes is a separate entity from Adult Swim) is certainly moving away from anime. But I think AS is okay with having a small bit of it on one night a week. If wrapping Toonami around that and showing a few classic shows raises ratings, then why not?

There is a part of me that thinks a real Toonami revival would need to be on weeknights, showing a few classics and some new action shows (which are much rarer these days, sadly), and doing what Toonami was created for in the old days. On the other hand, I'm quite aware that Toonami bumps surrounding Outlaw Star and Big O reruns every Saturday night would make me more likely to watch AS than I do now, so there's that.

I don't think there's enough run-five-days-a-week series out there, especially good ones, especially good ones dubbed into english.

Zebra

How so?
The package still works perfectly.
And of course, wonder wonderful bumps.

So so so much this, please.

Rebranding saturday night Adult Swim as Toonami is a no-brainer. The group of kids including myself that grew up on Toonami are now at the perfect age for our weakness for nostalgia to be taken advantage of.

wwm0nkey

Posted this on Facebook and already had 7 people like and repost on their wall....yeah I would say there is a good chance of a Toonami return.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom