• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT| Want to hang out and waste your night with us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izick

iZwX36URJiUx7.png

Saturday Nights

12:00am

12:30am

1:00am

1:30am

2:00am

2:30am

3:00am/3:30am

4:00am/4:30am

5:00am/5:30am

(All times are Eastern Standard Time.)

(Make sure to click on the title-card of each show if you would like to know more about it.)

How Toonami Came Back

On April 1st, 2012, Adult Swim played an April Fool's day joke on its audience by switching out "The Room" for Toonami. TOM, Sara, and a lot of the old shows re-appeared, and fans were beyond excited. Within minutes Toonami was the hottest topic on Twitter, and it only grew from there. As the night went on, into the early hours of the morning when even the insomniacs were beginning to yawn, more and more people chimed in and were watching Toonami's block of shows.

This night, and the ensuing aftermath is what caused Adult Swim to consider bringing back Toonami for real. Once Adult Swim let the fans know this was possible, the fans poured in more and more requests through Twitter and Cartoon Network's own website. It only took a month before Adult Swim and Cartoon Network realized what they had truly done, and what was underneath them. So after a month of excitement, anticipation, speculation, and then return to excitement, Toonami returns to its fans, ready to do what it does best once again.

Pein

Banned
Will watch, hopefully it can pick up steam and get more shows. I really want sengoku basara on TV.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Fuck that's late. :/ 2:30 for Bebop. *sigh*

I'm going to check out the 1:00 show and maybe stay up for SAC. I can watch Bebop anytime but it's stupid they continue to air stuff that late at night for some of us that have to get up in the morning.

I saw you post that in the other thread, but I was too busy finishing this up to ask you, why do you think people are going to be disappointed?

I think people are expecting the classic shows. I mean, that's the real reason so many people tuned in. This is just the same shit with a Toonami logo. I'm interested in the new shows, though.

Makoto

Not interested in Bleach but I'm genuinely curious about DMW and Casshern Sins as I've never seen those shows. I tried watching Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood on Netflix but it didn't really capture my attention. Ghost in the Shell has been in my backlog for a while so it's nice that I'll be able to get to it. Finally, as a Cowboy Bebop fanboy, I could probably rewatch the series a hundred times without it getting old.

In other words, I'll be tuning in.

Jarmel

Banned
Really half of these are bad picks for one reason or another.

Almost everybody has seen Cowboy Bebop now, even non-mainstream anime fans. Bleach brings in the ratings so I can't complain. GitS is fine, same with Brotherhood. The two main problems are the new additions. Deadman Wonderland is a bad show in general but it might get by on the action alone and it is paced relatively fast and has some gruesome sequences which might bring in ratings. The real stinker is Casshern Sins, not for any quality reasons but due to the grinding grinding pace of the show in of itself. People will fall asleep during that half-an-hour. The character designs are relatively interesting but the dreary color palette isn't the best thing to show at night.

I'm aware of the low budget situation but damn was Casshern Sins in particular a really shitty pick. A better one with slow pacing would have been Durarara.

wwm0nkey

I think people are expecting the classic shows. I mean, that's the real reason so many people tuned in. This is just the same shit with a Toonami logo. I'm interested in the new shows, though.

Toonami was always about introducing us to new shows though.

Also they are looking to get Gundam Wing on when they get a bigger budget. (hopefully the remastered version)

Soma

eh, bit of a safe line-up. bleach, bebop, and i guess FMA:B are pretty much no-brainers considering their popularity.

Deadman looks interesting and I was gonna watch Casshern Sins at one point but never got the chance so this should be nice.

i would've liked to have seen 08th MS Team, FLCL, or Outlaw Star instead of GiTS... or even FMA for that matter.

I dunno, maybe i'll finally watch Brotherhood despite how much I hated the original FMA show.

survivor

Banned

Almost everybody has seen Cowboy Bebop now, even non-mainstream anime fans. Bleach brings in the ratings so I can't complain. GitS is fine, same with Brotherhood. The two main problems are the new additions. Deadman Wonderland is a bad show in general but it might get by on the action alone and it is paced relatively fast and has some gruesome sequences which might bring in ratings. The real stinker is Casshern Sins, not for any quality reasons but due to the grinding grinding pace of the show in of itself. People will fall asleep during that half-an-hour. The character designs are relatively interesting but the dreary color palette isn't the best thing to show at night.

I'm aware of the low budget situation but damn was Casshern Sins in particular a really shitty pick. A better one with slow pacing would have been Durarara.

They had Durarara and got rid of it, so I'm guessing it tanked for them ratings wise

Instro

Surprised about the lack of dbz and gundam wing. Will tune in regardless though.

Well, reshowing stuff people have seen a million times would probably defeat the purpose of bringing back Toonami.

Solid lineup outside of the first 2 shows. The other 4 are all great shows, very worth watching.

ZoddGutts

Shame Berserk didn't get in. I'll take that over Deadman.

Already aired on AS. It's also not that great, not bad either just a bunch of wasted potential.

alf717

I still have the Toonami stuff they aired on April 1st on my DVR. It was so cool seeing them do Toonami again. I'll be tuning in for sure.

I'd love to see the older stuff later, if they can. April Fools and watching shows I hadn't seen in years upon years was amazing. Nostalgia overload.

It's pretty much the ultimate "drunk male student who've come home after a night out" block.

Well, at least it will be if they can get more nostalgic.

Instro

Should be fine, if people like quality action scenes then Casshern will be the show they want to watch.

I dunno, maybe i'll finally watch Brotherhood despite how much I hated the original FMA show.
From what I've seen, people tend to end up doing the opposite and hating on Brotherhood because the original was supposedly superior. I think both have faults but I love them nonetheless. Also, boo you.

Seda

Bleach is in the middle of a filler arc (I guess it's the end of a filler plotline, but is followed by even more filler)

FMA:B is the episode right before they head the Fort Briggs

Bebop episode is My Funny Valentine, where: "Faye ends up meeting an important man from her past, and part of her origin is revealed, including the source of her massive debt."

Jarmel

Banned
Should be fine, if people like quality action scenes then Casshern will be the show they want to watch.

Pacing is still way too slow. If Durarara bombed then I can't see this faring better as the pacing is certainly worse. I certainly didn't watch it for the action scenes, if I had then I would have dropped it long before I finished.

From what I've seen, people tend to end up doing the opposite and hating on Brotherhood because the original was supposedly superior. I think both have faults their own faults but I love them nonetheless. Also, boo you.

The tone in the original was better. That's it. Everything else in Brotherhood is much better.

From what I've seen, people tend to end up doing the opposite and hating on Brotherhood because the original was supposedly superior. I think both have faults their own faults but I love them nonetheless. Also, boo you.

I felt far more satisfied with Brotherhoods ending.

I still don't understand the funding thing. They gave them the okay to bring back Toonami, but they didn't give them the money to get any of the shows people want to see? What exactly is the logic behind that?

I still don't understand the funding thing. They gave them the okay to bring back Toonami, but they didn't give them the money to get any of the shows people want to see? What exactly is the logic behind that?

It was a "strike while the iron is hot" thing.
They saw a big push for it last month, and they had to capitalize on it as soon as possible.
If it continues to do well, they'll bring out new shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom