• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT| Want to hang out and waste your night with us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kusagari

They should have got the original DBZ and replaced GitS with it, just so all the DBZ fanboys would watch.

Unless Nick owns the rights to that too currently?

B.K.

Meh. It's just a rebranded Adult Swim Action. The new Toonami won't be anything special. They'll never be able to recapture the magic of 1999-2003 Toonami.

i never saw brotherhood. i can stay up late for that.

If you haven't seen it, it's too late for you to get into it now. They aren't restarting the series tomorrow night, so if you start now, you'll get into the series at about episode 35.

Lol no. Brotherhood has consistently awkward direction. Animation in Brotherhood is pretty great, but Kameda and Tanaka are no Yutaka Nakamuras.

Yeah. As much as I prefer the manga storyline to the first anime, Brotherhood really isn't as good as it should have been. Bones put their worst team on it, and it shows.

It was a "strike while the iron is hot" thing.
They saw a big push for it last month, and they had to capitalize on it as soon as possible.
If it continues to do well, they'll bring out new shows.

Wait, so you think they just didn't have enough time to gather funds and licenses and stuff? Is that how it works? Or am I completely misinterpreting what you're saying?

Izick

Wait, so you think they just didn't have enough time to gather funds and licenses and stuff? Is that how it works? Or am I completely misinterpreting what you're saying?

I don't think that's how it usually works, but I think this was a rare case where it did happen like that.

I don't think CN is truly committed to Toonami at the moment, which would explain why they're holding back on the funding. Judging by how the April Fools block was received, Mike Lazzo and co. probably consider this to be the best opportunity to see if they can regain momentum for a block like Toonami and, at the same time, be able to redress their flagging anime block on Adult Swim.

Branduil

I still don't understand the funding thing. They gave them the okay to bring back Toonami, but they didn't give them the money to get any of the shows people want to see? What exactly is the logic behind that?

They're not bringing back Toonami. They're rebranding the anime block that already existed in order to exploit the nostalgia of the targeted audience.

Jarmel

Banned
Lol no. Brotherhood has consistently awkward direction. Animation in Brotherhood is pretty great, but Kameda and Tanaka are no Yutaka Nakamuras.

Brotherhood is a different type of show compared to the original and some of what people associated with the directing was really a contrast of tone. The original series was a tragedy while Brotherhood is a more action/shonen-like show. The original cut out most of the comedic parts in the manga to focus on that tragic part which lost the balancing that Arakawa did during the series. So the directing for Brotherhood I would say was harder in certain respects, not to mention the earlier stuff where they had to recap the earlier series but make it new and interesting which resulted in them overcompensating and trying to be stylish to a fault.

They're not bringing back Toonami. They're rebranding the anime block that already existed in order to exploit the nostalgia of the targeted audience.

Eh, I think they're going to fail. I can't speak for anyone else, but my nostalgia is for the actual shows that were on, not the Toonami name.

Basically, this:
I don't think that's how it usually works, but I think this was a rare case where it did happen like that.

I don't think they expected such an outcry from fans because of the April Fools day thing, so they didn't really prepare much. But if they waited until they got content, then it might not work as well.

Instro

Pacing is still way too slow. If Durarara bombed then I can't see this faring better as the pacing is certainly worse. I certainly didn't watch it for the action scenes, if I had then I would have dropped it long before I finished.

Durarara is a completely different show. More to the point, the pacing isn't going to be an issue if people are sitting through shows that drag ass like Bleach and DMW. I don't get your last comment, are you saying there wasn't enough action in Casshern?

Jarmel

Banned
Durarara is a completely different show. More to the point, the pacing isn't going to be an issue if people are sitting through shows that drag ass like Bleach and DMW. I don't get your last comment, are you saying there wasn't enough action in Casshern?

Bleach and DMW are certainly not slow shows. Bleach narrative arcs in of themselves are very long but that's different. Casshern Sins is composed mostly of episode involving exploration and dialogue, I would definitely say it's not an action heavy show.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Brotherhood is a different type of show compared to the original and some of what people associated with the directing was really a contrast of tone. The original series was a tragedy while Brotherhood is a more action/shonen-like show. The original cut out most of the comedic parts in the manga to focus on that tragic part which lost the balancing that Arakawa did during the series. So the directing for Brotherhood I would say was harder in certain respects, not to mention the earlier stuff where they had to recap the earlier series but make it new and interesting which resulted in them overcompensating and trying to be stylish to a fault.
I just really found a lot of the stuff in Brotherhood to be pretty... bad. Like a lot of scenes that were supposed to be emotional just came off as mawkish and obnoxious because of the stilted, obvious direction. Like the scene where
Winry confronts Scar with the gun
is really bad because of the way it's cut and the way the music is used. Just feels like it's phoning it in for the viewer's emotions.

I also found the implementation of a lot of the slapstick humor from the manga to be ineffective and really jerked around with the tone of the show. It didn't work well. The first series did this a lot better by saving humor for when the serious moments were over or in non-serious episodes. In Brotherhood it happens in dead serious scenes out of nowhere.

AniHawk

Meh. It's just a rebranded Adult Swim Action. The new Toonami won't be anything special. They'll never be able to recapture the magic of 1999-2003 Toonami.

If you haven't seen it, it's too late for you to get into it now. They aren't restarting the series tomorrow night, so if you start now, you'll get into the series at about episode 35.

that's about when the original show started.

Cranzor

It kind of sucks that not all of the shows are starting from the beginning. Does anybody know which ones are and which ones aren't?

Jarmel

Banned
I just really found a lot of the stuff in Brotherhood to be pretty... bad. Like a lot of scenes that were supposed to be emotional just came off as mawkish and obnoxious because of the stilted, obvious direction. Like the scene where
Winry confronts Scar with the gun
is really bad because of the way it's cut and the way the music is used. Just feels like it's phoning it in for the viewer's emotions.

I also found the implementation of a lot of the slapstick humor from the manga to be ineffective and really jerked around with the tone of the show. It didn't work well. The first series did this a lot better by saving humor for when the serious moments were over or in non-serious episodes. In Brotherhood it happens in dead serious scenes out of nowhere.

They also did certain sequences extremely well such as all of Mustang's moments of awesome and Ed busting out of the Gate to yell at his brother. Part of the problem was pacing as it seemed they were really running out of time in certain sections.

That's more in line with the manga though. The manga used comedy in serious moments throughout too. The manga had a ton of black comedy and deadpan faces.

Risette

A Good Citizen
They also did certain sequences extremely well such as all of Mustang's moments of awesome and Ed busting out of the Gate to yell at his brother. Part of the problem was pacing as it seemed they were really running out of time in certain sections.

That's more in line with the manga though. The manga used comedy in serious moments throughout too. The manga had a ton of black comedy and deadpan faces.
But they should've excised that stuff. It doesn't work well when there are moving pictures and sound to go along with it. :(

The pacing was really... weird. I have no idea what went on there. It's not "bad" but I just felt like they misallocated time in several places and took time away from places that needed it, or just cut it out entirely like the majority of the Greed stuff iirc. Felt poorly planned out.

While I enjoyed the show because I enjoy the FMA universe and characters, the best part of Brotherhood was [at the time] new animator Yoshimichi Kameda having a place to shine. On Brotherhood he went from unknown to doing pretty much every key moment in the series. Dude is fucking amazing. BONES' next Nakamura in the making.

akira28

The impossibru happens and everyone complains. Obviously if it's a success, they will consider getting different content. But you have to realize how difficult and rare it is to get corporate media to make a left turn like this. I say capitalize on it, and give them the opportunity and input they need to make it better.

Jintor

If I'm timing this correctly I'll probably just be bumming around cleaning my room for... hmmm... the entire run.

What a coincidence.

But they should've excised that stuff. It doesn't work well when there are moving pictures and sound to go along with it. :(

I didn't feel like it worked well even in manga form. I read some of the beginning portion of the manga after watching the original FMA anime, and I preferred the anime's treatment of events. It was more meaningful.

The pacing was really... weird. I have no idea what went on there. It's not "bad" but I just felt like they misallocated time in several places and took time away from places that needed it, or just cut it out entirely like the majority of the Greed stuff iirc. Felt poorly planned out.

I would go so far as to call the pacing bad. The beginning was rushed and the end dragged.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I would go so far as to call the pacing bad. The beginning was rushed and the end dragged.
Well I'm talking overall. Both the ending and beginning are bad for more reasons than just the pacing, though. The ending just drops the ball completely.

I didn't feel like it worked well even in manga form. I read some of the beginning portion of the manga after watching the original FMA anime, and I preferred the anime's treatment of events. It was more meaningful.
Well I think it "worked" in the manga, but the first anime is just superior in pretty much every way. A shining example of source material being elevated. The FMA manga is a competent shounen adventure while the first FMA anime takes the beginning and the universe and transforms it into something special.

...and now I'm going to think about the state of modern Mizushima's output. going to go cry bye

Seda

I have to admit I never saw Bebop to conclusion. I stopped somewhere in the middle, I'll try to review the series before tomorrow.

AniHawk

toonami needs to pick up kids on the slope.

i haven't seen it, or heard much about it, but i know who's in charge of it. whoever's localizing could get steve blum to voice every character.

DJ88

Really? Everyone begs for Toonami to come back, but won't watch it and will let it die again? You know that Jason DeMarco said this is the best they could do with the small budget they were given. The original Toonami started out with way less and zero hype. If we can prove to AS that bringing it back was a good idea, the better shows will come.

I'll be watching it every week, even if the new shows don't capture my interest, I'll still have it on in the background. This Toonami does have the potential to be as good as it once was and I do not want to see it disappear again.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I remember on April 1st, I was, for some reason, on the West Coast feed for CN.

I assume this will also be tape delayed for the west?

abrack08

So, with how ratings actually work... it doesn't actually matter if most of us watch this, right? Just those with the Nielson boxes. Doesn't seem very fair. I'm somewhat interested in the new shows, not so much Bleach, Ghost, or Bebop. I love Brotherhood but I've already seen it all.

Really? Everyone begs for Toonami to come back, but won't watch it and will let it die again? You know that Jason DeMarco said this is the best they could do with the small budget they were given. The original Toonami started out with way less and zero hype. If we can prove to AS that bringing it back was a good idea, the better shows will come.

I'll be watching it every week, even if the new shows don't capture my interest, I'll still have it on in the background. This Toonami does have the potential to be as good as it once was and I do not want to see it disappear again.

This. Come on, we need to prove we even want it back, or would you rather have Squidbillies reruns for three hours again on Saturday nights?

Touch

im just going to cry myself to sleep watching endless waltz.

ill support this toonami for now but i will be dusting off my as board login for "feedback"

So glad this is back. I lucked into catching Outlaw Star on April 1st and was immediately hit with nostalgia. I remember staying up for the Midnight Run version of Outlaw Star in 2002 when I should had been in bed. Tsuki No Le was a great way to end the night.

Now if they could only find a way to fit a small block of Toonami M-F night.

ezekial45

Banned
I understand the criticisms of the lineup, but a number of what people want are out of CN's control. Naruto and DBZ are not available because Disney and Nickelodeon have the licenses.

Jason DeMarco said this on twitter.

5KZBr.jpg

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I think this whole thing is going fail. Nobody is going bother tuning in for more than a few weeks. The novelty is going wear off fast, methinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom