• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT| Want to hang out and waste your night with us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seda

I'll be here every week. I'm up at this time anyway. Plus its fun either way for, enjoying a show I like or even poking fun at the shows (sorta in the same vein as Gigantor or Astro boy on April 1).

Hiltz

I can sort of see the merit in Last Exile, the subtle dark undertones certainly play to Toonami's strengths, but then if they tried to put its sequel out there, Fam Fam Fam would get slaughtered.

What's Fam Fam Fam ? You mean Fumoffu ?

The only time I have seen Last Exile was back on G4's Anime Unleashed years ago.

Kaizer

Banned
I'll be tuning in tomorrow for sure. Really, REALLY hope this block is successful and they can eventually bring in more interesting shows or timeslots. It's ironic in a way, as usually on Saturdays at Midnight/Late Night, I'm watching Toonami Aftermath.

What's Fam Fam Fam ? You mean Fomoffu ?

Sorry, I meant to type Fam Fan Fan:
Last+Exile+Fam+21.jpg

Huff

Banned
Doesn't matter what the shows are.

It's not Toonami if it's one day a week after midnight.

What made it awesome back in the day was the everyday prime spot. This is just an adult swim saturday anime rebranding. The user base isn't going to increase because of this horse shit

Ezalc

What's Fam Fam Fam ? You mean Fumoffu ?

The only time I have seen Last Exile was back on G4's Anime Unleashed years ago.

FFF was pretty boring. I loved basically everything about Last Exile and Fam Fam Fuck took them all away and offered terrible replacements.

Hiltz

Almost forgot about Justice League. We need some western cartoons thrown in for good measure. If Cartoon Network doesn't want to add the old series to its Saturday Morning DC lineup, then let Toonami have it.

FFF was pretty boring. I loved basically everything about Last Exile and Fam Fam Fuck took them all away and offered terrible replacements.
I used to think Last Exile was a brilliantly crafted show but featured characters that, for the life of me, I just couldn't care about. Then I watched Fam and all of the prequel's faults seem to disappear. That being said, I really enjoyed Fam. I'm one of the seemingly very few people who thought Fam (the character) was utterly lovable. The latter half of Fam (the show) is horrendously marred by cuts in the narrative that are so noticeable to the viewer, but the first couple episodes were absolutely brilliant and perfectly encapsulated everything I wanted out of the Last Exile universe. But the problem still stands that Fam would not resonate with Toonami fans at all.

Still hoping they're able to get Darker Than Black. That's the sort of show they need, IMO. Both accessible and solid quality (dub included).

Durarara is a completely different show. More to the point, the pacing isn't going to be an issue if people are sitting through shows that drag ass like Bleach and DMW. I don't get your last comment, are you saying there wasn't enough action in Casshern?

Even if you absolutely hate DMW, I don't know how anyone can think it drags.

Ezalc

I used to think Last Exile was a brilliantly crafted show but featured characters that, for the life of me, I just couldn't care about. Then I watched Fam and all of the prequel's faults seem to disappear. That being said, I really enjoyed Fam. I'm one of the seemingly very few people who thought Fam (the character) was utterly lovable. The latter half of Fam (the show) is horrendously marred by cuts in the narrative that are so noticeable to the viewer, but the first couple episodes were absolutely brilliant and perfectly encapsulated everything I wanted out of the Last Exile universe. But the problem still stands that Fam would not resonate with Toonami fans at all.

Best thing about the first show was Alex being an all-around BAMF, Lavi being awesome, and Dio being Dio. Claus and Tatiana were pretty cool too. I completely hated Fam and the whole cutesy way the show seemed to go, they even added all those terrible vespas, ugh.

Definitely gonna tune in and see what it's about. I love what Toonami stood for and I'm not going to be a little girl and complain about it when they brought it back for the fans.

Looking forward to DMW, Casshern, and the new bumps.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Very interested to see how successful this is over the next few months. I think not having the right to DBZ Kai is a blessing, makes them have to try something new. I really don't understand why people don't want to move on...

Just getting together the programming block must have been a nightmare. Not only dealing with the licensing and monetary restrictions, but there is a clear divide in the fan base. I've seen a lot of people that basically want the same block that was on 10+ years ago. Contrasted with the people who want to see them try new shows.

I think if this is going to survive in the long run, it has to be Toonami for a new generation. Things have changed, a lot of the shows are far more accessible. I can watch FMA, FMA:B, Bleach, DBZ, One Piece, etc on Hulu and Netflix Instant right now. Even if they could get all the old shows back, I don't think they should rely on them. I just don't see long term ratings sustainability based around a schedule that is so reliant on older shows. I think people would tune in for awhile, but then taper off after a couple of weeks.

I don't know, the thing I liked about Toonami back in the day was seeing stuff I'd never even heard of. Gundam Wing for example was 100% new to me, and I loved it. If they get a bigger bankroll, I hope they get new shows and don't try to survive off old shows. Wish them the best, kinda hope this does really well because I grew really tired of adult swim in general. Seeing some Toonami injected into the weekly lineup would be nice...

And that timer is correct

wildfire

Banned
From what I've seen, people tend to end up doing the opposite and hating on Brotherhood because the original was supposedly superior. I think both have faults but I love them nonetheless. Also, boo you.

OG had better character drama.

Brotherhood had better plot.

That's it.

Looking forward to this Toonami block. See ya on the other side.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I'm looking forward. Sure the line-up is lackluster, but we need to keep watching in order to get good shows. Maybe even a return to weekdays.

I know people are hating, but keep in mind that they were given a shoestring budget for this. The only way it can get better is if people keep watching. Otherwise Cartoon Network will think they were right and laugh as they cancel it again.

Razorskin

----- ------
Everytime I think of Toonami I think Zoids Zero and Dragonball, a shame I can't watch anyway cause I live in Canada and no longer have Directv.

wildfire

Banned
Very interested to see how successful this is over the next few months. I think not having the right to DBZ Kai is a blessing, makes them have to try something new. I really don't understand why people don't want to move on...

They should get DBZ abridged. I'm not joking.

They should get Samurai Champloo, Rurouni Kenshin (and help fund the Jinchuu arc [like that will ever happen]) and Yu Yu Hakusho.

Forkball

Only GitS and Bebop are interesting on that list. They could have thrown Outlaw Star in there if they had the rights. Or any Gundam.

The consensus on Deadman is negative? The premise sounds really interesting.

The consensus is all over the place. I've seen people call it amazing and I've seen people call it the worst thing ever. The only actual consensus is the anime isn't as good as the manga.

It will be interesting to see how non-animegaf reacts to it.

Kusagari

The consensus is all over the place. I've seen people call it amazing and I've seen people call it the worst thing ever. The only actual consensus is the anime isn't as good as the manga.

It will be interesting to see how non-animegaf reacts to it.

The main problem with it is the anime is only 12 episodes and ends right before the manga starts to get really interesting.

The main problem with it is the anime is only 12 episodes and ends right before the manga starts to get really interesting.

Eh, I thought what they covered was plenty interesting. But you're right, what happens afterwards is even more interesting and it would have been nice if they made it that far. Maybe if this does really well, it could happen (but probably not).

Doesn't help that the manga is now on hiatus :/

Vrakanox

I'll try to tune in but it comes on really late , not to mention the two new shows aren't all that great. Not as bad as they could be though. Should have gone with Baccano, TTGL, Code Geass, Berserk, Basilisk. Something like that. Maybe a Gundam show like Wing or 00 for nostalgia's sake. Also showing anime movies like they used to on Sci-fi might not be a bad decision.

Ultratech

I've never watched Cowboy Bebop. This would have been perfect, but it's so damn late. \

Really? They've been showing it almost non-stop on Adult Swim for nearly a decade now.

Only GitS and Bebop are interesting on that list. They could have thrown Outlaw Star in there if they had the rights. Or any Gundam.

Yeah, another show or two would've been nice, but I guess we gotta deal with they're giving us for now.

george_us

The impossibru happens and everyone complains. Obviously if it's a success, they will consider getting different content. But you have to realize how difficult and rare it is to get corporate media to make a left turn like this. I say capitalize on it, and give them the opportunity and input they need to make it better.
Yup. I'll be all over this tonight while playing video games. Just like old times.

The Lamp

How do ratings work anyway? I never understood if me watching the TV actually made a difference in whether shows had high ratings or not. Are there votes cast somewhere? lol

It's important for people to show their support for this. It's very rare that something like this happens in television.

Izick

I really hope this does well, ratings wise...think of the possibilities if it does. I guess We'll just have to wait and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom