• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT5| If we die in this thread, we die in real life

Status
Not open for further replies.
am i just unobservant or was this unclear for anyone else?

I got it - it's a classic obfuscation tactic. They wanted a bad guy, so he gave them the worst bad guy of all. In fact, he was so over the top with his description that I assumed everything he said was a lie.

I got it - it's a classic obfuscation tactic. They wanted a bad guy, so he gave them the worst bad guy of all. In fact, he was so over the top with his description that I assumed everything he said was a lie.

well, yeah i knew he was lying but the whole "remove the stigma about beta testers" never came across to me. and i'm not sure how effective that would be, either.

Amikami

Banned
zlCfzRE0j5UFkiI-EJ
zlCfzRE0pxoRWD_I64

zlCfzRE05qcPMxZddJ
zlCfzRE1bXQhf_GSlx

zlCfzRE1jeMmbpc5Hx

Later.

My favs. All of them are awesome as always.

If you pee in the game, you piss your pants in real life. Have those diapers ready

This reminds me of someone I was only acquainted with for a very very short period of time...*cough*

Seriously, he's a beater. A beater! Who thought that this was a good idea?

"He's a beta-tester and a cheater. He's a beater!" My eyes rolled.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
well, yeah i knew he was lying but the whole "remove the stigma about beta testers" never came across to me. and i'm not sure how effective that would be, either.

Yeah. That he was putting on airs was obvious. Why wasn't exactly clear. And quite frankly that reasoning is pretty fucking stupid. But I guess he is supposed to be a teenager, so of all the dumb things in the episode I can kind of forgive a dumb teenager doing dumb things.

Seda

If I was a non-beta-tester player in SAO, I'd probably try to team up with the best-testers because they have knowledge to help me survive and beat the game.

The beta-tester prejudice here doesn't really make sense to me.

Amikami

Banned
If I was a non-beta-tester player in SAO, I'd probably try to team up with the best-testers because they have knowledge to help me survive and beat the game.

The beta-tester prejudice here doesn't really make sense to me.

I would imagine the beta-testers didn't want to team up with newbs.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

And yet the noobs still got farther than all the beta testers.

How did nobody from the beta manage to clear the first boss in A MONTH when the only thing altered about him was the type of weapon he uses when his health is critical?

Seda

Yeah but the animosity towards the beta testers seems unprovoked, like the regular players are simply just assuming that the beta-testers want to exploit their knowledge to their own benefit at the expense of the regular players. Perhaps if the episode actually showed us a beta-tester doing these sorts of things I could emphasize with the regular players, but as it stand it feels awkward to me.

EDIT: And right, the beta-testers haven't shown that they are even competent.

Yeah but the animosity towards the beta testers seems unprovoked, like the regular players are simply just assuming that the beta-testers want to exploit their knowledge to their own benefit at the expense of the regular players. Perhaps if the episode actually showed us a beta-tester doing these sorts of things I could emphasize with the regular players, but as it stand it feels awkward to me.

The hate is even more crazy as the beta testers wrote a free guide for all new players.

i actually thought that was sort of ok. they were just looking for somebody to pin their troubles on that was actually physically there; Floating Blood Robe Guy left as soon as he appeared. it wasn't meant to be rational.

Amikami

Banned
And yet the noobs still got farther than all the beta testers.

How did nobody from the beta manage to clear the first boss in A MONTH when the only thing altered about him was the type of weapon he uses when his health is critical?

I think the issue was that nobody could even find the boss room. I'm assuming the location must have changed since the beta. It's not really stated who found the room. Could have been a newbie or a beta-tester in disguise like that blue haired guy. If this is some huge open world then I could see how it would take awhile.

This show does a bad job at handling conflicts and serious issues, I agree. It's like they say 2000 players have died. It's supposed to sound alarming but it doesn't at all. It might as well be one player that has died, and I didn't even know that blue haired dude enough to care. What I'm saying. Conflicts and issues aren't fleshed out or presented in a way to make us care.

Seda

i actually thought that was sort of ok. they were just looking for somebody to pin their troubles on that was actually physically there; Floating Blood Robe Guy left as soon as he appeared. it wasn't meant to be rational.

Well if it is supposed to come across as an illogical stance taken by the regular players (due to general frustration of the situation) then I suppose it succeeded, haha

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

The hate is even more crazy as the beta testers wrote a free guide for all new players.

That's even stupider. It's shit like this that completely ruins a show.

Again the author wrote Sao because it was the only way for him to experience playing an mmo without actually playing one so lots of mmo ideas are guessed based upon what the author thought an mmo would be like

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
The complaining guy openly stated that one reason to hate the Beta Testers was that they knew of, and farmed out all the best EXP spots before anyone else had a chance; he got the idea in mind that many of them were out for themselves, using their knowledge to make themselves stronger, without helping others.

Diable (blue hair'd guy) seemed like an exception to the rule, and he was treated directly like a guild leader, or something of that sort, by everyone around. He was the idea everyone wished for, the "big bro" all these lost people wanted.

I took it as a ridiculous jump-to-conclusions, similar to "Rich people are always haughty and spoiled", y'know?

My question from all this were less "why are they mad?!" and more "Why are there finite resources in an RPG anyway?"

Even if the high-levels soaked up all the exp in the training fields, I do find it interesting that towns and such seem to be pretty safe so far. You could wait until the areas give them no EXP, and then do your hunting with a small group of friends, after the masses have moved on...

... or maybe you could find a spawn point, build a building around it, and then just kill the weaklings en masse, to manufacture huge amounts of EXP fairly safely...

Wonder if there were any beast taming systems...

My favs. All of them are awesome as always.

Thanks!

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
How are the filler arcs?

XVINDez.gif

I just learned the hard way this morning. Put on the first episode of the filler arc and promptly fell asleep...twice. No thanks. No more good openings either. :( Nealy all shonen filler is bad, but at least Bleach managed to put something decent out with the Bount arc.

Oddly enough while I was watching Bleach this morning, I noticed something odd that I had never really paid attention to before. Has anyone ever noticed how often in anime characters will repeat the names of other characters when they enter a scene? Once I started paying attention to it, it seems like it happens in nearly every scene.

There was one awkward part where like 6 people show up to see Ichigo and he slowly announces their names in a slow stilted manner with pauses between each name. Bleach isn't the only offender, I just never noticed it before today.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I just learned the hard way this morning. Put on the first episode of the filler arc and promptly fell asleep...twice. No thanks. No more good openings either. :( Nealy all shonen filler is bad, but at least Bleach managed to put something decent out with the Bount arc.

Oddly enough while I was watching Bleach this morning, I noticed something odd that I had never really paid attention to before. Has anyone ever noticed how often in anime characters will repeat the names of other characters when they enter a scene? Once I started paying attention to it, it seems like it happens in nearly every scene.

There was one awkward part where like 6 people show up to see Ichigo and he slowly announces their names in a slow stilted manner with pauses between each name. Bleach isn't the only offender, I just never noticed it before today.

It's a thing that writers do when there's a lot of characters in the scene, so everyone can keep track of who is there. Bleach is a major offender due to the size of it's cast and the fact that everyone looks similar, you'll notice that Naruto does it less as we go on due to how unique everyone is. (I know the names of everyone in Naruto and yet I can't remember anyone but Ichigo, Aizen, Orehime, Chad or Urahara) One Piece does it as well, but not as often with the crew. The same goes for Soul Eater, both because of the fact the characters are easy to remember.

It's basically to remind everyone who they are and who is in the scene.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Again the author wrote Sao because it was the only way for him to experience playing an mmo without actually playing one so lots of mmo ideas are guessed based upon what the author thought an mmo would be like

This shit needed about a ton of polish before it was ready for mass consumption.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
It's a thing that writers do when there's a lot of characters in the scene, so everyone can keep track of who is there. Bleach is a major offender due to the size of it's cast and the fact that everyone looks similar, you'll notice that Naruto does it less as we go on due to how unique everyone is. (I know the names of everyone in Naruto and yet I can't remember anyone but Ichigo, Aizen, Orehime, Chad or Urahara) One Piece does it as well, but not as often with the crew. The same goes for Soul Eater, both because of the fact the characters are easy to remember.

It's basically to remind everyone who they are and who is in the scene.

That does make sense. The Bleach cast is immense because of the Gotei 13. We do go long stretches without seeing people and then they get entire episodes and arc devoted to them.

MikeMyers

Well to be fair, the main reason I remember is because there was a guy at another forum named after him, and ironically enough he used to harp on about hentai quite a bit.

789shadow

Banned
One Piece's overall cast is even larger than Bleach, but Bleach has most of it's cast constantly in play, which makes it feel overly large.

Seriously, I know like 4 characters tops. It's a joke.

I wanna play this game

Ichigo
Rukia
Renji
Hitsugaya
Orihime
Chad
Uriyu
Byakura
Yamamato
Rongiku
Aizen
Gin
Momo
Urahara
Unohana
Uqorria
Grimjoww
Yammy
Tatski

Oh fuck lol I better stop being I get labeled a Bleach fanboy

I have a pretty good memory in general, but even I find remembering everyone in Bleach hard.

Ichigo
Isshin
Karin
Yuzu
Rukia
Uryu
Orihime
Chad
Tatsuki (?)
Keigo
Renji
Byakuya
Kenpachi Zaraki
Old Man Yamamoto
Soi Fon
Kisuke Urahara
Yoroichi
Hitsugaya
Aizen
Gin Ichimaru
Kaname Tosen
Err, Komamura

Goddamit, this shit is hard.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I have a pretty good memory in general, but even I find remembering everyone in Bleach hard.

Ichigo
Isshin
Karin
Yuzu
Rukia
Uryu
Orihime
Chad
Tatsuki (?)
Keigo
Renji
Byakuya
Kenpachi Zaraki
Old Man Yamamoto
Soi Fon
Kisuke Urahara
Yoroichi
Hitsugaya
Aizen
Gin Ichimaru
Kaname Tosen
Err, Komamura

Goddamit, this shit is hard.

Like I don't recognize the bold. Also Yamamoto is Old Man Genocide right?

Seda

Tatsuki is the short black hair human girl in the real world Aizen chased for a few episodes. Keigo is Yosuke.

Tosen is blind guy. Konomura is fox guy.

I could probably list most of the 'main' characters to be honest...kinda sad.

Except the vizards.

Love how there are all these crazy names and then a guy named

Chad
lol
Well, Chad's name is actually Yasutora Sado. They shortened it to Chad because dunno.

First is Ichigo's friend that knows karate and the second is Ichigo's friend that is Yosuke. Third is
the black dude that evolved into Mothra and the last is dog face Mcgee. And yes, old man Yama is old man Genocide.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Tatsuki is the short black hair human girl in the real world Aizen chased for a few episodes. Keigo is Yosuke.

Tosen is blind guy. Konomura is fox guy.

I could probably list most of the 'main' characters to be honest...kinda sad.

Except the vizards.

Well, Chad's name is actually Yasutora Sado. They shortened it to Chad because dunno.

First is Ichigo's friend that knows karate and the second is Ichigo's friend that is Yosuke. Third is
the black dude that evolved into Mothra and the last is dog face Mcgee. And yes, old man Yama is old man Genocide.

So wait is Keigo actually Yosuke or not? Also which one is Yosuke?

I always called Blind guy, Blind guy.

I like how Schadenfreude has the same nickname for Dogface McGee that I do. I can't wait until they animate his fight with
that giant Newfoundland

Also wtf at Chad's real name, that shit makes no sense.

So wait is Keigo actually Yosuke or not? Also which one is Yosuke?

I always called Blind guy, Blind guy.

I like how Schadenfreude has the same nickname for Dogface McGee that I do. I can't wait until they animate his fight with
that giant Newfoundland

Also wtf at Chad's real name, that shit makes no sense.
Yeah, he's Yosuke from Persona 4. I got confused for a second.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
One piece and Bleach introduced a crapload of characters in their current arcs who I can't remember the next week.

At least one can easily spell (and say) the names of One Piece's new characters.
I look at the names of the
Stern Ritter
and wonder what the hell Kubo is thinking with these.

so uh......

Ichigo
Rukia
Aizen
Uryu
Urahara
Kenpachi
Rangiku
Hitsugaya
Gin
Chad
Orihime
Kon
Renji
Yoruichi
Soi Fon
Tatsuki
Byakuya
Momo

this is quite difficult. though i've only really watched Bleach on Toonami and then up to the Bount Arc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom