• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT6| Where there's no such thing as filler

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I love SAB's drawings but I really wish he made a picture of a sandwich with VR gear dying in real life.

....ok.

SandwichArtOnline_zpsaf8acbe8.png

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Good morning

Faves. Especially the killed/sold my wife, because that was the first thing that popped into my head as soon as whatshisface said it. You know you hang out way too much on ToonamiGaf if that's the first thing that pops in your head.
KuGsj.gif

Yeah, it's funny drawing certain things that no one on Miiverse will understand in the slightest, lol. All for the ToonamiGAF!

Awesome sketches as always Sab!

Thanks!

zlCfzRHizUAO57NeSF

My favorite this week b/c of Takeshi's face.

Shock-ashi is best -ashi!

Nice. I love all of these, especially the SAO and Samurai 7 reference.
Rikichi might be gone, but not forgotten! Yup, these were fun :)

Since I know the ghost thing will never get explained in the show, I'll just explain it now. When a strong irregular emotion is generated by a player in the game, SAO makes a "copy" of sorts of the person that generated that emotion. This copy is then imprinted onto the game and lives sort of as a ghost in the game.

I really don't mind the use of in-game reasoning to produce "supernatural" stuff within the game. And it's actually kinda nice that these people who die so tragically have a chance to continue to live on. They might never get to make their mark on the real world, because of this crazy "death game"... but they get to leave a lasting impression in SOME way! Even in Tragedy, strength will be remembered...

I still think the best moment of the episode was "shared item storage space is so romantic" it was even funnier in English then it was in Japanese

"Married people share things together!" being cited as something special is just sad in general, lol. This show hits the "modern day _____ is really crappy!" commentary in a multitude of ways, no matter what it does!

I'm kinda enjoying it as "an unconscious reflection of what's wrong with the world", lol. Trivializing death, lame storytelling and pacing, sexualizing the unisexual, relying more on shock-value than well-produced stories and characters, killing off people because they're useful, helpful, and worthy members to society...

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So the point of SAO is to be male power harem fantasy, do any of you guys want to be Kirito right now?

Well, if I was a 13/15 year old Japanese male that basically played away at online RPGs and ignored real life... because I was more skilled at gaming than actual human interaction...

... and then I get the roles reversed; people skilled IRL suddenly know nothing, and I've now possibly become their champion, because I'm GATLIKE at everything...

... yeah, I could see this working. Though I don't think he has much of a "Harem" at this point. His interactions with girls haven't been very impressive yet... most of the perversion comes from "Viewer camera angle" stuff, rather than through his eyes. If just for Service-sake, it'd probably be better to be Shinji, for now, anyway.

If I was gonna be a Harem Hero, would be Tenchi. I don't think anyone WANTS to be other harem heroes... their appeal is that many of the readers already ARE those awkward dudes, and the stories present a situation that's initially as pathetic as their own... but with much better surrounding perks.

... yeah, I could see this working. Though I don't think he has much of a "Harem" at this point. His interactions with girls haven't been very impressive yet... most of the perversion comes from "Viewer camera angle" stuff, rather than through his eyes. If just for Service-sake, it'd probably be better to be Shinji, for now, anyway

Well at least if you were Shinji you'd be able to cook and pilot a giant robot

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Well, if I was a 13/15 year old Japanese male that basically played away at online RPGs and ignored real life... because I was more skilled at gaming than actual human interaction...

... and then I get the roles reversed; people skilled IRL suddenly know nothing, and I've now possibly become their champion, because I'm GATLIKE at everything...

... yeah, I could see this working. Though I don't think he has much of a "Harem" at this point. His interactions with girls haven't been very impressive yet... most of the perversion comes from "Viewer camera angle" stuff, rather than through his eyes. If just for Service-sake, it'd probably be better to be Shinji, for now, anyway.

If I was gonna be a Harem Hero, would be Tenchi. I don't think anyone WANTS to be other harem heroes... their appeal is that many of the readers already ARE those awkward dudes, and the stories present a situation that's initially as pathetic as their own... but with much better surrounding perks.

You know going back Tenchi was a pretty normal dude who just didn't want to deal with all those aliens and shit jumping all over his nuts.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
For the longest time I thought Soul was wearing a cap, then about a week ago I noticed that it was actually just a headband and he has white hair. It has completely changed my opinion of his design.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
What do you think of him now?

It brings the design down a couple of notches. I mean looking at him now it's pretty obvious he is wearing a headband, but I thought the cap really fit his image. His jacket is still awesome though.

I'm not a huge fan of the character designs in Soul Eater, but I think Soul and Maka are well done.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Well at least if you were Shinji you'd be able to cook and pilot a giant robot

I'm sure Kirito's had some pretty great battles, given his level, though. Just the show doesn't think we need to see any of them! At least he's actually competent! Shinji doesn't seem to really be good at anything beyond Eva, and even with that, he comes off as the worse of those around him.

While Kirito manages to (so far) be good at what he does, and no go insane with power or pride. It's odd... he's kinda a decent hero, even if he doesn't really stand out.

You know going back Tenchi was a pretty normal dude who just didn't want to deal with all those aliens and shit jumping all over his nuts.

Except he had Royal Blood and an Alien Space pirate that had watched him grow up since he was a fetus, lol. But he was well grounded! Totally unlike all those who came after him.

I haven't seen Tenchi in so long, why did all the aliens want his bone again?

Tenchi's actually a good guy. He was respectful, cared about those around him, and had stupid levels of power that no mortal ever should.

He was still a youth, for sure, but anyone who spent some time around him would see that he'd be willing to do whatever it took to ultimately make those he cared about happy.

Except he had Royal Blood and an Alien Space pirate that had watched him grow up since he was a fetus, lol. But he was well grounded! Totally unlike all those who came after him.

Tenchi's actually a good guy. He was respectful, cared about those around him, and had stupid levels of power that no mortal ever should.

He was still a youth, for sure, but anyone who spent some time around him would see that he'd be willing to do whatever it took to ultimately make those he cared about happy.

Thanks for the clarification on Tenchi, not sure if I want to rewatch it or not cause I've got so much on my plate as it is lol

It brings the design down a couple of notches. I mean looking at him now it's pretty obvious he is wearing a headband, but I thought the cap really fit his image. His jacket is still awesome though.

I'm not a huge fan of the character designs in Soul Eater, but I think Soul and Maka are well done.
I see what you're saying. RSE dude's hat is the coolest thing ever. I'd be disappointed if I found out it was his hair too.

I haven't seen Tenchi in so long, why did all the aliens want his bone again?

in the OVAs it was just sort of "because". in Universe and Tokyo (where it's really only Ryoko and Ayeka), it's due to him being a really nice guy. oddly enough, Tokyo maybe does the best job at explaining this since he nursed every single one of the girls back to health in that one.

I went out with a friend who came to visit for the weekend so unfortunately I had to miss toonami with you guys. I'm catching up on everything though and reading the thread reactions, SAO always brings out the best in us.

Sounds like you had a good time and yes, SAO does bring out the very best lol I'm just afraid too many people will rage quit before it gets really good

Jintor

Actually... that's exactly what it is. Negative feelings are not out of the norm in the game. Extraordinary happiness is.

Wait

but did she feel the extraordinary happiness before she died? Was that because she wasn't being controlled by her asshole husbando anymore? Seems more like general happiness

maybe I should stop critiquing the ghost portions of the story

Wait

but did she feel the extraordinary happiness before she died? Was that because she wasn't being controlled by her asshole husbando anymore? Seems more like general happiness

You're thinking about this more then the author did

Wait

they did go into some crap about her feeling happier and more alive in the game than in the real world, so maybe that manifested itself as a ghost or something?

Jintor

I still can't believe they had like 10 minutes of "YOU MEAN SHE'S NOT DEAAAAAAD" and then a stupid complicated explanation as for why and then Asuna is like "Oh I guess I could have checked my friends list if she was logged in because for some reason it also tells me exactly where she is in the game too"

I mean

I just

what

I still can't believe they had like 10 minutes of "YOU MEAN SHE'S NOT DEAAAAAAD" and then a stupid complicated explanation as for why and then Asuna is like "Oh I guess I could have checked my friends list if she was logged in because for some reason it also tells me exactly where she is in the game too"

I mean

I just

what

Asuna isn't Batman/Kirito so she can't think that far ahead

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Sounds like you had a good time and yes, SAO does bring out the very best lol I'm just afraid too many people will rage quit before it gets really good

I'm in for the long haul but I have also discovered that my current range of gifs won't be enough. I need to get bigger.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Thanks for the clarification on Tenchi, not sure if I want to rewatch it or not cause I've got so much on my plate as it is lol

NP, that's always been the reason why I can take Tenchi more seriously than other style shows. I recently watched half of the OVA on BluRay, so it was nice to see the thoughts still hold up, ha.

Great drawings, SAB

Thanks! Hope you had fun catching up from missing the night! Hope the pics weren't too spoilerish, haha.

LOL thank you SAB <3

"I'm having sandwiches today... ok!" It just worked out so well, lol.

I mean

I just

what

So, if you just witnessed a murder, the first thing you think about it "wait, let me call their house, to see if they're really dead!" XD I actually didn't mind the explanation at all (again, using the ideas of the world to manipulate and explain things is actually not bad at all), but they did just kinda... drop it in there, which felt poorly introduced. "Wait, if she isn't dead... can't you track her with your..." "Hey. that's right!" or something of the sort, would have helped it feel more natural.

I had more issue with the fact that they let "The Murder Guild" just walk on off. Kirito should have captured and brought them all in. Why do you let such a guild... walk around freely?

The better question is why was Asuna already in game friends with that random girl she hardly knew and wasn't with Kirito who she frequently works with and clearly wants to be his beater

Jintor

Even if they had acknowledged that they'd overlooked it that would've at least been a little better.

They just pulled it out of nowhere because it was plot-critical that Asuna and Kirito know where the thing was taking place without any apparent thought as to how it undermined the previous ten minutes.

Branduil

The better question is why was Asuna already in game friends with that random girl she hardly knew and wasn't with Kirito who she frequently works with and clearly wants to be his beater

Tsundere, duh. That one actually makes sense, as much as anything does in SAO.

Even if they had acknowledged that they'd overlooked it that would've at least been a little better.

They just pulled it out of nowhere because it was plot-critical that Asuna and Kirito know where the thing was taking place without any apparent thought as to how it undermined the previous ten minutes.

She should have been friends with the guy in her own guild and could have searched for his location

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I'd say it's more like you have a heartrate monitor. They're not going to know you're looking at it.

It just seems like you'd have to... actively check the list, to notice this. Unless the game gives messages for characters zoning on your friend list.

I'm sure someone would have checked eventually, and noticed in the future, but it had only been a small amount of time. It would have been funny to see them notice such a thing, a few days later... it wasn't a con that could run for long.

She really didn't seem to like him as a friend, he was just an associate. I can deal with that, at least. And the whole "I'm a solo'r anyway, I don't really do 'friend list'!" thing at the end at least acknowledged that.

-nod- I wonder how long the show can surprise with it's lack of narrative cohesion and proper foreshadowing? It should be expected by now; they just don't write that way, lol.

Build up is a foreign thing to the show. It introduces ideas at the drop of a hat, because that seems to be the method to it's creators madness. Contrast that with something like Bebop on the block (Which even uses it's side-stories within episodes, to re-enforce not only the current tale, but also the overarching plot, all simultaneously), and it can be pretty frustrating.

Jintor

It's horrific, really. I mean, let's take some basic plot points from this murder mystery:

a) Shared storage space between in-game partners
b) Item durability and especially how similar it looks to death
c) Teleport crystals
d) Maybe some stuff about how more assertive the victim was IRL or how fucking creepy Grimlock really is/was

All of this stuff is the kind of thing that could be relatively easily hinted at or shown early on, as opposed to being pulled out of an arse at the last second just before Kirito batmans everything together.

*smh*

Teleport crystals at least I think were about it in terms of game mechanics being known about before a twweessst

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's horrific, really. I mean, let's take some basic plot points from this murder mystery:

c) Teleport crystals
d) Maybe some stuff about how more assertive the victim was IRL or how fucking creepy Grimlock really is/was

All of this stuff is the kind of thing that could be relatively easily hinted at or shown early on, as opposed to being pulled out of an arse at the last second just before Kirito batmans everything together.

*smh*

Let's be real he didn't Batman it together, Batman would have had this shit figured out 5 minutes into the first episode.

c) Teleport crystals

*smh*

Teleport crystals at least I think were about it in terms of game mechanics being known about before a twweessst
This. A lot of people act like these episodes were really good, but establishing a bunch of rules out of nowhere to explain something is not good writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom