• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT6| Where there's no such thing as filler

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
This. A lot of people act like these episodes were really good, but establishing a bunch of rules out of nowhere to explain something is not good writing.

Yep, it would have been good if these rules had been previously established. We had that whole 15 minute stretch in the first episode that established some rules and they couldn't even be bothered to throw these in? They took 15 of exposition before doing anything and they still couldn't manage to cover everything properly.

today i learned some people believe the show is being subtle in attempting to establish Kirito as somebody with social anxiety instead of just failing to give it any meaningful focus

today i learned some people believe the show is being subtle in attempting to establish Kirito as somebody with social anxiety instead of just failing to give it any meaningful focus

I mean it would be an interesting idea and would fit the theme of Kirito truly feeling alive in the game as opposed to in real life (later series spoilers)
except he's a perfect gary stu IRL as well

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
This. A lot of people act like these episodes were really good, but establishing a bunch of rules out of nowhere to explain something is not good writing.

It's not, but I have to admit, I kinda LIKE not being held by the hand, to some degree. The feeling of "The viewer knows games, and we don't have to explain basic crap to them!" is kind of nice.

I'd much prefer Bebop Style "subtle setups" rather than "OBVIOUS or NONE AT ALL", though. SAO just skips the idea of establishing any type of rules, and keeps on truckin'.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Ahh, that's right, last night's episode of FMA:B was the appearance of Envy's true form.

.....I still don't like the voice. Not what I was expecting when I first saw it in the manga. Oh well, least I've grown to accept it, even if it seems conflicting in tone during the more serious moments later on. Mainly the episode where
he gives a big speech not long before pulling the philosopher stone out of him, thus ending his life.

It's not, but I have to admit, I kinda LIKE not being held by the hand, to some degree. The feeling of "The viewer knows games, and we don't have to explain basic crap to them!" is kind of nice.

I'd much prefer Bebop Style "subtle setups" rather than "OBVIOUS or NONE AT ALL", though. SAO just skips the idea of establishing any type of rules, and keeps on truckin'.
Is item durability the way it's presented in SAO even a thing in most games? I mean, I know of games where items deteriorate after using them, but SAO is the only place where stuff just dies off. Also, I dont know of any mainstream MMOs with a marriage system. It all just seems like things a person who doesn't play games would write.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Is item durability the way it's presented in SAO even a thing in most games? I mean, I know of games where items deteriorate after using them, but SAO is the only place where stuff just dies off. Also, I dont know of any mainstream MMOs with a marriage system. It all just seems like things a person who doesn't play games would write.

Item durability only ever goes down with usage, just having it drop randomly would be annoying as hell. It's exactly the bolded.

Raxus

I remember in .hack whenever Tsukasa had teleported away there was an effect that played out. It seems odd any MMO would have a teleport that doesn't have some sort of effect before being used.

If they really wanted to introduce the whole durability thing the perfect opportunity would be a call back to the butter dispenser in episode 2. No need for exploding sandwiches.

Ultratech

In most games, durability goes down with item usage, getting hit, dying, etc.

Now there are instances of items where they'll only last a limited time (say like 30 minutes or an hour).

As far as marriage goes, I'd guess that MapleStory would be the only remotely close "mainstream" MMO with a marriage system.
(Funny enough, you have to pay for it and do a bunch of stuff for it to play out.)

Branduil

I remember in .hack whenever Tsukasa had teleported away there was an effect that played out. It seems odd any MMO would have a teleport that doesn't have some sort of effect before being used.

If they really wanted to introduce the whole durability thing the perfect opportunity would be a call back to the butter dispenser in episode 2. No need for exploding sandwiches.

LOL you reminded me that Kirito's "bread tastes better with butter on it durr" was what got Asuna interested in cooking.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Well its a good thing to be proud of your own work!

Also guess what, I'd love if SAO became a full time murder mystery show. It'd be like Conan only with more ass shots.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
It's horrific, really. I mean, let's take some basic plot points from this murder mystery:

a) Shared storage space between in-game partners
b) Item durability and especially how similar it looks to death
c) Teleport crystals
d) Maybe some stuff about how more assertive the victim was IRL or how fucking creepy Grimlock really is/was

All of this stuff is the kind of thing that could be relatively easily hinted at or shown early on, as opposed to being pulled out of an arse at the last second just before Kirito batmans everything together.

*smh*

Teleport crystals at least I think were about it in terms of game mechanics being known about before a twweessst

The way I always saw it was that the creator of SAO, Kayaba Akihiko, wanted SAO to resemble life in the real world as similarly as possible. To be sort of meta, I think the author of the light novels wanted to present the world of SAO much like reality but with gamey elements. It's why we see the idea of food losing durability, because in actuality food does become less fresh over time and goes bad eventually, or the idea that sharing storage with your husbando or waifu is romantic, because in actuality you are sharing things and you're more open with your partner and such. I definitely see the intent and the ideas that the author is trying to get across but the writing and its execution is bad and as a result ends up being comedic, awful, and stupid. I think it's perfectly fine to think the show is stupid but I feel like sometimes this thread just mindlessly bandwagons and destroys many of the concepts and ideas that sort of drive the narrative elements in the show. It's not like it's all bad and it's not like what it says is all stupid.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Finished my DRRR!! rewatch and I'm now starting on the light novels (what I can find of them, anyways.) The anime only covers the first three volumes (out of twelve), so there's definitely a host of material they could draw from if they wanted to continue it (I still don't know why they don't...) And unlike what I thought before, it seems like the anime followed the light novels almost to a T.

Having Izaya's sisters show up in episode 25 was such a tease. It would have been cool of them to work Aoba in somewhere but that probably would have diverged from canon a bit... (Or wait, maybe that was who Mikado bumped into in the last scene? ...nah...) Actually the only divergence seems to be Mikado himself, who is a darker character in the novels (to the extent of
stabbing someone's hand with a pen after they proposed some kind of Dollars/Blue Squares takeover.
) That's the only part they'd have to slightly retcon if they wanted to stay true to things, but considering how amazing an adaptation the anime is I'm sure they'd be able to pull it off somehow.

But man, the Aoba/Izaya rivalry? Brain's Base can't let me die without seeing that.

Hollywood Killer arc, start!

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Finished my DRRR!! rewatch and I'm now starting on the light novels (what I can find of them, anyways.) The anime only covers the first three volumes (out of twelve), so there's definitely a host of material they could draw from if they wanted to continue it (I still don't know why they don't...) And unlike what I thought before, it seems like the anime followed the light novels almost to a T.

Having Izaya's sisters show up in episode 25 was such a tease. It would have been cool of them to work Aoba in somewhere but that probably would have diverged from canon a bit... (Or wait, maybe that was who Mikado bumped into in the last scene? ...nah...) Actually the only divergence seems to be Mikado himself, who is a darker character in the novels (to the extent of
stabbing someone's hand with a pen after they proposed some kind of Dollars/Blue Squares takeover.
) That's the only part they'd have to slightly retcon if they wanted to stay true to things, but considering how amazing an adaptation the anime is I'm sure they'd be able to pull it off somehow.

Hollywood Killer arc, start!

It's my hope that DRRR!! will eventually get a second season but.... alas it's not to be.

pirata

What about Baccano? I thought I saw someone somewhere on GAF write that Brainbase was building up a budget for it....Man, I just really want more Baccano.

Jintor

The way I always saw it was that the creator of SAO, Kayaba Akihiko, wanted SAO to resemble life in the real world as similarly as possible. To be sort of meta, I think the author of the light novels wanted to present the world of SAO much like reality but with gamey elements. It's why we see the idea of food losing durability, because in actuality food does become less fresh over time and goes bad eventually, or the idea that sharing storage with your husbando or waifu is romantic, because in actuality you are sharing things and you're more open with your partner and such. I definitely see the intent and the ideas that the author is trying to get across but the writing and its execution is bad and as a result ends up being comedic, awful, and stupid. I think it's perfectly fine to think the show is stupid but I feel like sometimes this thread just mindlessly bandwagons and destroys many of the concepts and ideas that sort of drive the narrative elements in the show. It's not like it's all bad and it's not like what it says is all stupid.

I haven't seen anything that the thread has 'mindlessly' bandwagoned. Everything we complain about is generally backed up by pretty good reasons why it's fucking goddamn stupid.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I haven't seen anything that the thread has 'mindlessly' bandwagoned. Everything we complain about is generally backed up by pretty good reasons why it's fucking goddamn stupid.

Indeed, in what universe would SAO qualify as realistic?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

Well, there are games with premium shop items that only last a certain amount of days. "Durability" in this case seemed to be a way of judging when a product would spoil. I know I've played something where natural food spoiled, because the fact it did encouraged players to buy the more expensive potions (which never spoiled.)

Ragnarok Online had Marriage and character Adoption systems. The Shared Storage system totally reminded me of the Kafra storage updates that has gone on throughout that games life. A load of SAO's systems sound like things that have happened over the years in RO, really.

Teleporting would make people fade-out as if they died, rooms in dungeons had rare/limited spawns that'd get you, Mimics were OP trap treasure chest that newbies could easily fall for, and friend list showed character location (and HP if they were in your party). It eventually got an in-game mail system, though I don't think you could delay the sending of messages. Bosses had "low health" desperation attack patterns that they'd stick to after reaching certain low HP, there were varied rules to decided how MVP drops were distributed, game-wise and guild-wise...

Even the whole "Beater" stuff reminds me of the environment after people had been playing in Open-Beta for a year or 2, before the game officially opened up for int'l service, went pay-to-play, and then eventually back to free-to-play years later.

I pretty much assume any ideas in Asian RPGs to be RO inspired though, with a helping of Dungeon Fighter. After seeing a K-drama which featured a murder mystery that specifically took place in the offices of Gravity Co., I learned never to underestimate it's influence of Asian culture again, ha. That one girl in red in SAO's OP looks like a High Priestess from RO, even, and Yolko's look reminded me of the old Art for female "Swordies" / Mages...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
tumblr_msnzskkIJq1qlya5no1_500.png

I missed toonami this weekend but here are my quick impressions

Bleach: Another garbage one off filler episode. Looks like we've got three more weeks of this until the actual filler arc begins. Basically Bleach is going to be borderline unwatchable until then, the arc itself is well done in my opinion though.

Naruto: Dear Lord I forgot how awesome the Chunin Exam arc can be, it's only going to get better from here on out too.

One Piece: I am REALLY starting to get into One Piece, we're in the middle of a non-cannon filler arc (right?) but this show still manages to hold my attention like no other on the block. Can't wait to see if Luffy and Zoro square off; I'm actually very tempted to go on ahead and watch the next episode...Kubo take notes, this is how to do filler.

Soul Eater: Have already seen the series recently, didn't bother to watch

SAO: Already watched the series (subbed) earlier this summer, didn't bother to watch. The comments however were hilarious, keep up the good work fellas. This week is actually a decent episode though but there will be some rage posts.

IGPX: Best episode in the series so far, hands down. Takashi gets his heart broken paving the way for him to be with the superior woman and the actual race had me on the edge of my seat. I felt like there was a good mix of character development and action here, IGPX has been great since the middle of season 1 in my opinion.

Clone Wars: Still debating on whether or not I should catch up, this show has been pretty bad so far.

Big O: Great episode, if anything happens to Dorothy I'm breaking my TV. WTF at Big O just sitting there getting it's ass kicked.

FMAB: Easily one of my favorite shows on the block, that fight with Envy was pretty darn cool. I'm worried about Ed, hope we get to find out how he's doing this week.

I also want to give HxH a mention even though it's not on the block. This show is constantly blowing my mind, I don't want to spoil anything but shit is clearly about to hit the fan on Saturday.

Well, there are games with premium shop items that only last a certain amount of days. "Durability" in this case seemed to be a way of judging when a product would spoil. I know I've played something where natural food spoiled, because the fact it did encouraged players to buy the more expensive potions (which never spoiled.)

Ragnarok Online had Marriage and character Adoption systems. The Shared Storage system totally reminded me of the Kafra storage updates that has gone on throughout that games life. A load of SAO's systems sound like things that have happened over the years in RO, really.

Teleporting would make people fade-out as if they died, rooms in dungeons had rare/limited spawns that'd get you, Mimics were OP trap treasure chest that newbies could easily fall for, and friend list showed character location (and HP if they were in your party). It eventually got an in-game mail system, though I don't think you could delay the sending of messages. Bosses had "low health" desperation attack patterns that they'd stick to after reaching certain low HP, there were varied rules to decided how MVP drops were distributed, game-wise and guild-wise...

Even the whole "Beater" stuff reminds me of the environment after people had been playing in Open-Beta for a year or 2, before the game officially opened up for int'l service, went pay-to-play, and then eventually back to free-to-play years later.

I pretty much assume any ideas in Asian RPGs to be RO inspired though, with a helping of Dungeon Fighter. After seeing a K-drama which featured a murder mystery that specifically took place in the offices of Gravity Co., I learned never to underestimate it's influence of Asian culture again, ha. That one girl in red in SAO's OP looks like a High Priestess from RO, even, and Yolko's look reminded me of the old Art for female "Swordies" / Mages...

Ahh, well then. Though it's been said that the guy who wrote SAO had not played an MMO before writing the series, so it just seems like he came up with stuff that suited his story as opposed to actually knowing about it.

I missed toonami this weekend but here are my quick impressions

One Piece: I am REALLY starting to get into One Piece, we're in the middle of a non-cannon filler arc (right?) but this show still manages to hold my attention like no other on the block. Can't wait to see if Luffy and Zoro square off; I'm actually very tempted to go on ahead and watch the next episode...Kubo take notes, this is how to do filler.

Clone Wars: Still debating on whether or not I should catch up, this show has been pretty bad so far.

The mangaka really don't play any role in the anime filler unless they pull a Mashima and give the anime team stories they had came up with for the manga but decided to cut. It also doesn't hurt the anime team that this filler arc is based upon a video game that came out on the PSX in Japan so they only had to tweak the story instead of creating something fresh on the spot.

Also last nights Clone Wars was the best so far, it's not perfect by any stretch but I think it's worth checking out. It has some decent banter between Obi Wan and Anakin and is pretty action packed the whole way though.

The mangaka really don't play any role in the anime filler unless they pull a Mashima and give the anime team stories they had came up with for the manga but decided to cut. It also doesn't hurt the anime team that this filler arc is based upon a video game that came out on the PSX in Japan so they only had to tweak the story instead of creating something fresh on the spot.

Also last nights Clone Wars was the best so far, it's not perfect by any stretch but I think it's worth checking out. It has some decent banter between Obi Wan and Anakin and is pretty action packed the whole way though.

One Piece getting story ideas from old PSX games? Huh, you learn something new everyday.

If you say CW is good I'll go ahead and watch. I'm still bitter over the fact that we didn't get Genndy's Clone Wars.

One Piece getting story ideas from old PSX games? Huh, you learn something new everyday.

If you say CW is good I'll go ahead and watch. I'm still bitter over the fact that we didn't get Genndy's Clone Wars.

I've only seen what's on Toonami and what my old room mate has said about the show. I personally feel it's gotten a bit better each episode though it still has a bit too much forced comedy for my taste. Apparently the later episodes do get pretty awesome, have only heard great things about the bounty hunters arc.

Clone Wars still seems like crap to me. I know people say the series gets good eventually, but all the episodes so far seem about the same to me in terms of quality. You guys say last Saturday's episode was better than the previous episodes, but I can't remember one exciting thing that happened.

Clone Wars still seems like crap to me. I know people say the series gets good eventually, but all the episodes so far seem about the same to me in terms of quality. You guys say last Saturday's episode was better than the previous episodes, but I can't remember one exciting thing that happened.

I'm still warming up to the series, wasn't a big fan of it's announcement on Toonami even though I'm a big Star Wars fan. I still think the cg characters/animation look weird and would have preferred the other Clone Wars show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom