• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT6| Where there's no such thing as filler

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
FMA:B is what I consider one of the best animes of all time, I hold few anime of this calibur another anime I consider to be one of the best forms of art ever made, is gungrave: beyond the grave dubbed.

is inuyasha movie 3 on crunchyroll? I think we should do a group watch of it.

zlCfzRH_8FQjWWI-sR

Needs more flowers >.<

zlCfzRH_hrQRCNS0ET

zlCfzRH_rF4eaH489G
zlCfzRH_1YcvlS6-Pw

zlCfzRH_4R834L07vY
zlCfzRH_8FQjWWI-sR

zlCfzRIAExgYdqtq12
zlCfzRIAI-k3p6Osz8

zlCfzRIAM1QoztM3Ms

I had some Stein-in-I'LL DISECT YOU ALL mode stuff along with Medusa, but it was devoured by the internet :(

Took the off night as an excuse to draw a bit more crappy quickie-pics here and there... to pretend I actually drew a decent amount under the 4 shows I watched, haha.

Great stuff as always, sad to hear about lost pictures :(

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
So, we have a pre-show watch block at 9:00 PM EDT that will be coming up next Saturday. If you're interested in being part of it and recommend what shows you'd like to see, you should totally join ToonamiGAF's irc and check the topic heading. Quote to see the channel name.

Jintor

It's really quite entertaining how Black Star is essentially an even more flanderised version of Naruto's idiotic "BELIEVE IT" traits yet somehow he works out to be about five hundred times more likable

Jintor

One Piece 99

In this episode, the Straw Hat Crew + Ace take time out of their busy schedule to screw with a bunch of idiots.

One Piece 99

In this episode, the Straw Hat Crew + Ace take time out of their busy schedule to screw with a bunch of idiots.

All of these adventures with Ace are filler, the final scene of the final filler Ace episode is canon, it just happened on the boat in the manga.

Jintor

That's alright by me. Ace is likable enough that I don't mind hanging with him.

"Remember that you're pretending to be soldiers. And if that's not enough, why not try acting like men?"

/edit jeeze, this episode is laying it on thick

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Alabasta filler is the worst filler until the arc right after Enies Lobby. Well the stuff after they leave Water Seven at any rate. Awful arc.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

shameful

I think Ennis Lobby is overrated, a good arc but going thorugh it one thing I did notice was
strawhats kinda pulling moves out of their asses, for instance, when did luffy learn to do the gears? He just said he kinda picked up somehow and also the CP9 kinda stomps them and then they were on equal footing the next time they fought. They didnt have a training arc or anything, they just got on the train and followed them.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
shameful

I think Ennis Lobby is overrated, a good arc but going thorugh it one thing I did notice was
strawhats kinda pulling moves out of their asses, for instance, when did luffy learn to do the gears? He just said he kinda picked up somehow and also the CP9 kinda stomps them and then they were on equal footing the next time they fought. They didnt have a training arc or anything, they just got on the train and followed them.

He learned it Goku style by paying attention to his foe and how they control their blood flow.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Goat island is kinda funny. Also short. This one is neither.

Goat Island is the same length as the first batch of Arabasta filler and longer than the second.

Also, episodes 97 and 102 are both pretty alright.

The hierarchy of filler, from shittiest to best, is roughly:

Little East Blue
Rainbow Mist
Spa Island
Goat Island
The bad parts of the Arabasta filler
Water 7 Reprise Filler
Foxy's Return
Ice Hunter Arc
Apis
Davy Back Fight Filler
Post-Arabasta Filler
Film Z tie-in
The good parts of the Arabasta filler
Ocean's Dream
Anything Boss Luffy related
G-8

1) Luffy is a fighting savant. He may be kind of dumb and oblivious about most things, but he's generally a creative, unconventional, and occasionally brilliant fighter. Throughout the entire series he steals enemy techniques and takes them for his own (for example, inventing Gomu Gomu no Baku Baku against Crocodile shortly after encountering Wapol's Baku Baku fruit). He actually does learn from his encounters with opponents and build upon what he learns. From Crocodile he learns that he needs to adapt his powers in ways beyond just the obvious in order to survive the Grand Line. Against Enel he learns that even a natural advantage isn't necessarily enough to win all by itself. From
his first encounter with CP9, he learns just how versatile and amazing the body can be even without the use of a Devil's Fruit. From all these various sources he develops a new way to use his rubber powers. There's nothing about his Gears that really needs a special skill to be trained, and there's nobody who would be able to teach him about using his gears. They're something that came from his own imagination from applying the lessons he had learned thus far. They're just examples of using his rubber powers in less obvious ways (i.e. taking advantage of the fact that his cardiovascular system and bones are also made of rubber).
Making shit up in his brain and then just doing it is just kinda what Luffy does. Luffy STARTED the series monstrously powerful. He rips up a full fledged pirate ship with his bare fucking hands in the first 15 episodes of the series. He doesn't need to train to progress because his physical strength is already off the charts literally from the start of the series, it's just all about using his mind to apply it.
At least until he finally hits a ceiling some 500 episodes in and finally has to learn a new skill set entirely.

2)
This is explained in the show. There are basically two fundamental reasons. One is that they simply weren't going all out. They didn't know who their enemies were, why exactly they were fighting them, and what exactly was going on with Robin. They were fighting from a position of doubt and uncertainty, and thus not using their full potential. And two, they were seeing some pretty crazy new and seemingly unbeatable techniques for the first time and didn't have a chance to figure out how to counter them.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Ice Hunter is my go to extremely shitty filler. It is the king of bad filler.

Ice Hunter isn't that bad. It had a concise plot from beginning to end, character battles for everyone and nothing absurd or non-canon happened. Plus there were some pretty boss costume design in that arc. In terms of Toei effort in a filler arc, its pretty high up there.

Their movie tie-in filler arcs are way way way worse. No effort involved at all.

Not going to lie sitting through this filler has been getting to me. Mainly because I know whats up ahead and ready to move past this. I believe we have watch more filler than actual canon by this point if I am right.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Not going to lie sitting through this filler has been getting to me. Mainly because I know whats up ahead and ready to move past this. I believe we have watch more filler than actual canon by this point if I am right.
I think we've had 8 canon episodes and 8 filler episodes. I'd have to double check, though.

Even still, many of those "canon" episodes had filler segments in them too due to how they changed Davy Back from the manga, so I guess it would be technically correct that we've seen more filler than canon thus far. And we still have 3 more filler episodes to go.

The good news is that it's another 60 episodes after that before we run into a filler episode again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom